• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yay, May 1st is a Monday, works perfect for my schedule. I can head over to the LEGO store right when they open no problem since the new one they built is next to my work. I almost feel spoiled now!

DonShula

I finally finished my Palace Cinema. Looks great on display. I wasn't bowled over by the interior but it does have some awesome features like the glass doors and the roof. And that marquee build is perfect. Glad they saved that for last.

Now back to sorting through all the sets the kids have destroyed. I expect to emerge with a Benny's Spaceship (with possibly minimal help from BrickLink).

Kojima has his own digital LEGO figure now:
spy6r4supnezycwwhswvxrbq04.png

Rootbeer

Banned
Went ahead and placed an order for the A-Wing Starfighter (yay that Lando figure I've been dying to add to my collection) and the Yoda Jedi Starfighter to score myself that mini Beetle.

I hate to say it, but I was really hoping the modulars would be done with Assembly Square.

It's easily my favorite line but I wanted them to move onto something different. Also, no room left.

Rootbeer

Banned
I hate to say it, but I was really hoping the modulars would be done with Assembly Square.

It's easily my favorite line but I wanted them to move onto something different. Also, no room left.

What could they do that would inspire the same interest in AFOLs though? That's the question they need an answer to before they retire it.

_Rob_

What could they do that would inspire the same interest in AFOLs though? That's the question they need an answer to before they retire it.

Perhaps a similar modular idea but set in a different time period, or maybe with architecture inspired by another country?

Koren

Got the penguin vehicle, it's a really nice set for a decent price. It's impressive how they managed to use those balloon parts in all kind of sets... Perfect fit here.

Perhaps a similar modular idea but set in a different time period, or maybe with architecture inspired by another country?
Modulars don't seem to come from a single country to me... If Market Street is denmark/benelux, pet shop feels UK to me, restaurant says it's french, and there's not many cinemas like the modular one in Europe. I'd welcome an asian-inspired modular, although I'll probably build one before that happen.

Anything too-focused on a specific country may not appeal to a broad public, anyway.

_Rob_

Modulars don't seem to come from a single country to me... If Market Street is denmark/benelux, pet shop feels UK to me, restaurant says it's french, and there's not many cinemas like the modular one in Europe. I'd welcome an asian-inspired modular, although I'll probably build one before that happen.

Anything too-focused on a specific country may not appeal to a broad public, anyway.

They always felt very American to me, but then buildings around the US tend to draw inspiration from all over anyway; perhaps that's why I had mad that assumption.

Perhaps you're right, but I do think something like a Wild West modular, or Victorian London for example could have wider appeal.

anyone have an idea what the ongoing conflict was? Cant think of any western themed buildings from the past four years

what year was the lone ranger? i can't remember when I acquired based silver mine shootout.

all this time I thought they rejected the wild west town for being impractically huge.

Koren

They always felt very American to me, but then buildings around the US tend to draw inspiration from all over anyway; perhaps that's why I had mad that assumption.
Market street at least is typical northern europe architecture, at least. Others... well they borrow from many places.

Indeed, America is a melting pot of cultures, so you would find examples of a lot of styles there. In Europe, it's probably a bit different. In fact, I find putting modulars together is hard, because I feel they're not coming from the same places at all to me.

Perhaps you're right, but I do think something like a Wild West modular, or Victorian London for example could have wider appeal.
I'm not sure the market for Wild West would be as large (even if I would like it myself)

Victorian... Have you a specific idea in mind? Because I think the brown house in Pet Shop and Green Grocer have some victorian influence...

I would love that the designs from that guy on Ideas that had Old Fishing Store approved become a sort of line, but yeah, it won't happen (and I don't think it would have a broad appeal).

Boat Repair Shop
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129623

Boat House Diner
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/142529

The Dive Shop
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/154108

The Lighthouse
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/163836

I really like the Dive House and the Lighthouse

_Rob_

I'm not sure the market for Wild West would be as large (even if I would like it myself)

Victorian... Have you a specific idea in mind? Because I think the brown house in Pet Shop and Green Grocer have some victorian influence...

Perhaps not, but then to an extend they do create their own market. I think for most AFOL's a well made set is worth a buy regardless, especially if it isn't tied to a specific license.

Nothing in particular, but I could imagine some interesting use of pieces to achieve the interesting shapes of Victorian buildings. I'm in agreement about the influence on both of those sets the green grocer especially. For example I loved the look of this Harry Potter set (10217).

71pBAwwAL%2BL._SL1000_.jpg

Ponn

Banned
I would love that the designs from that guy on Ideas that had Old Fishing Store approved become a sort of line, but yeah, it won't happen (and I don't think it would have a broad appeal).

Boat Repair Shop
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/129623

Boat House Diner
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/142529

The Dive Shop
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/154108

The Lighthouse
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/163836

I really like the Dive House and the Lighthouse

I would buy each and everyone of those. I want to make a Lovecraft fishing village town for a Halloween display filled with fish people.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Nearly double the pieces for less than double the price. It's actually really good value considering the amount of pieces and the sheer variety of them you get in it.
4002 pieces
but its well worth , believe it!

its expensive...YES it is but its the most amazing build i have built !!

simply amazing!
Well, at least, It's great on its own. I think DO, BB and PS are better when you mod them using two sets (having an inside and wanting two buildings in one), which is more expensive than a single AS.

Oh, it's generally bigger and wider than the usual?!

Koren

Oh, it's generally bigger and wider than the usual?!

Yes... It's a 48x32 set instead of a 32x32 one. Although I'm not sure it's that larger in volume... I think a lot of the pieces went into microbuilds and details. It's definitively larger than other ones, though.

Ponn

Banned
Does anyone know how you get these at Celebration? I'm going for the first time this year.

I believe these are usually lottery type, like comic con. If i'm wrong someone will correct me.

Damn it I caved and placed a Lego shop order. I thought that VW beetle was a polybag but its a bigger box so now I want it, hate all the stickers though. I also really wanted that free Friends chess set for all the cute animal figs so I ordered the Friends Hot Dog van and a the Bugatti Chiron and Mercedes AMG. I honestly have no idea when I started collecting these Speed Champions sets but I hate myself for starting a new theme when i'm trying to cut back. I don't even care about cars that much, it makes no sense.

OMG, dat hidden space torso! I just ordered a spare helmet and a airtank (old colour, unfortunately). I'm thinking those will get rare very soon.

Only big set I've bought all year was simpsons home
They have my email x I'm a Lego VIP member
Is that all I need to be entered in a raffle for that?

I remember that stupid worm slug being ugly af last year but this one is better

ah cool, glad I only have a few of those ones left then :)

EDIT> Those grey airtanks are pretty common so you should have no issue tracking those down. "classic" helmets will be harder which is why I opted for the new style

Unless I'm mistaken, the newer classic helmet was only ever in LBG for the CMF knight, making it uncommon to begin with.

Here's the Star Wars celebration set for this year:

LEGO_CELEBRATION2017_Exclusive.jpg

LEGO_CELEBRATION2017_exclusive2.jpg
Looove it! Little dioramas like this are some of my favorite LEGO sets.

And I don't care too much about owning the actual box and stuff so if I can get the instructions this looks like it would be a pretty cheap set to Bricklink the pieces for.

_Rob_

This guy will be perfect for the Vice City MOC I'm working on! (If only the suit pieces were available in blue as well)

33787082466_2baaa42aff_z.jpg

Top Bottom