• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let The Games Begin: Republican Debates Chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

adj_noun

Trump/McMahon 2016

zPt9mzK.jpg

Doesn't matter, he's still just at 23%. When candidates start dropping out, they'll start throwing their support behind others. Jeb is much better connected and more likely to fare well in the general election and be able to do people favours, he'll start picking up those votes. The Donald's already pissed off the party, he's going to have a tougher time in that department.

Trump will take the bulk of Carson's, Cruz's, Perry's, and Santorum's supporters.

Downhome

I expect the other candidates to try to ignore Trump. I do not expect them to call him out, or to bring anything to him. I think they want to all stay away from him. He has the power to really hurt folks if he decides to zero in on them, and he actually speaks the truth on them when he really wants to. I also think he will try to stay away from his "antics". I don't think this is going to be as explosive as we all hope it will be.

I would like to see numbers on who people polled have as their SECOND choice. That will go a heck of a long way to really let us all know just how much power Donald Trump actually has. If he isn't the #2 choice for most people, well, he will instantly be out of this things once other people start to drop out and their support goes to someone else.

Now all of that said, I hope Trump stays in this thing until the very end. I don't care, I crave to see what all we could be in store for us all over the next year with him in the race as a viable candidate. People laughed at and made fun of Arnold running in California and Reagan when he first dived into politics back in the day and we all know how all of that turned out.

Who there has the least insane Foreign Policy philosophy? Paul?

Out of this group, yeah. Paul actually galvanized opposition to Obama's proposed intervention in Syria, which looks even better now after the rise of ISIS.

The rest are either dangerous war mongers (Rubio and Huckabee), wishy washy opportunists that go with the current polls (Ted Cruz), or completely incompetent on foreign policy (Jeb Bush).

Recently, Paul has been doubling down on his anti war stance to stand out from the crowded field, so pay attention to him if you want to see some genuine opposition to the usual neocon BS.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
But this suggests the other 10 are adults, and that's absurd.

That's a fair point. lol

For those not familiar with Ben Carson, if you have seen the Boondocks, he is the real life Uncle Ruckus.

Euron

People laughed at and made fun of Arnold running in California and Reagan when he first dived into politics back in the day and we all know how all of that turned out.
I've been laughing at Trump for awhile now but it dawned on me how it's actually possible for him to become this generation's Ronald Reagan. People would have laughed at the possibility of Reagan being president just like how people laughed at the possibility of Trump running. Honestly, if you went back not even a year ago but as little as two months ago and said that Trump would not only be in first in the Republican Primaries but over ten points ahead of Jeb, nobody would have believed you.

Trump would set new standards for the Republican Party and that sort of thing terrifies me. As for the debates, I would love to see him specifically target Jeb but I know that won't happen. Targeting Walker is entirely possible but like others have mentioned, Jeb and Walker will most likely try to avoid Trump as much as possible.

I've been laughing at Trump for awhile now but it dawned on me how it's actually possible for him to become this generation's Ronald Reagan. People would have laughed at the possibility of Reagan being president just like how people laughed at the possibility of Trump running. Honestly, if you went back not even a year ago but as little as two months ago and said that Trump would not only be in first in the Republican Primaries but over ten points ahead of Jeb, nobody would have believed you.

Trump would set new standards for the Republican Party and that sort of thing terrifies me. As for the debates, I would love to see him specifically target Jeb but I know that won't happen. Targeting Walker is entirely possible but like others have mentioned, Jeb and Walker will most likely try to avoid Trump as much as possible.

I fear this, too. If by some black swan event Donald Armstrong Trump actually makes President, it's not going to be pretty; the world will not be kind to America. But, yeah, I know it's hard to take any Republican candidate seriously this cycle. From my perspective, and I never thought I'd have to say this, they all make Reagan look like a sensible moderate. It's like the US has been taking a decades-long slow ride into oligarchic crazytown and the destination seems to finally be in sight.

It's got to tell you something, though, that the monkey flinging shit the hardest is the one most applauded by all the other monkeys. And wouldn't you know it, shit flying everywhere for people's entertainment is the whole reason the Fox debate is going to be monumentally successful for them.

jerry113

Banned
I fear this, too. If by some black swan event Donald Armstrong Trump actually makes President, it's not going to be pretty; the world will not be kind to America. But, yeah, I know it's hard to take any Republican candidate seriously this cycle. From my perspective, and I never thought I'd have to say this, they all make Reagan look like a sensible moderate. It's like the US has been taking a decades-long slow ride into oligarchic crazytown and the destination seems to finally be in sight.

It's got to tell you something, though, that the monkey flinging shit the hardest is the one most applauded by all the other monkeys. And wouldn't you know it, shit flying everywhere for people's entertainment is the whole reason the Fox debate is going to be monumentally successful for them.

Yep.

Let's say by some miracle, Trump gets the Republican nomination.

A hefty chunk of the US population will vote for him simply because they despise the Democrats, or because they won't vote for a woman (assuming Hillary wins the Democrat nomination), or because of some single issue that they're voting for, or for other (more legitimate) reasons.

Bowdz

Not really. Reagan was a two term governor of California who ran for president once in 1976 before being elected, nearly defeating a sitting president for the party nomination. He was a well established politician by the time he ran for president and had (regardless of one's opinions on his policies) a legitimate political record with gubernatorial experience.

Trump on the other hand, is a very non political actor (thus far) with no political experience whatsoever thus far. His chances are much more slim compared to Reagan's during the 1980's.

Paskil

Jindal didn't make the cut. Damn. That dude is aggressively awful and I was excited to see his toxicity in prime time.

Oh well, we still got Cruz, Carson, Trump, Huckabee, and Walker (amongst others). I am quivering with anticipation. One might toss around the adjective, "moist."

People are saying Trump is a joke but I've read an alarming number of stupid ass comments on Facebook, Twitter, and other places where people are supporting him enthusiastically.

It's terrifying and sad, because I think he might have a chance. There are enough idiots out there.

They're trying to out-Reagan Reagan.

Chichikov

People are saying Trump is a joke but I've read an alarming number of stupid ass comments on Facebook, Twitter, and other places where people are supporting him enthusiastically.

It's terrifying and sad, because I think he might have a chance. There are enough idiots out there.
Don't try to read the political tea leaves through social media comments.
Down that road lies madness, I've seen it, I've been to PoliGAF, it ain't pretty, turn back now, turn back and run.

Look at Fox News comments, they want him to win.

Link

The Autumn Wind
all of this plus hosted by Fox News
Unfortunately, I think this is what's going to prevent this from being truly entertaining. Fox is going to be sure to control the message and lob softballs to the candidates.

Not to say it won't be hilarious watching them try to eviscerate each other, but no one is going to be challenged by the moderator.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez guys, at least give the new daily show a chance first.

I would if not for the fact that the new daily show won't start until September 28th. That show will be missing so much during that downtime.

Rick Perry came and went during august and september 2011, and Donald Trump, the guy the Daily Show has been begging to run forever, has a decent chance of seeing that same fate. Trump might be old news by the time they come back.

I actually think Trump's going to be on his (relative) best behavior. As long as he doesn't say anything truly insane or, like, eat a live weasel on stage he'll "win" just by hurdling already low expectations.

I'll be really interested in seeing how the rest of the mass debaters approach Trump.

Impossible. All candidates know they have a chance at winning if they goad Trump into Mouth Diarrhea Mode. He who goads first wins! Let the shit show begin!

Wow. Seems crazy that they'd make themselves soft targets and put all the Convention Attendees at risk!

Not allowing guns in such a setting is very sensible. Any reasonable person would agree with that, I think. But these are the unreasonable people who insist that guns should be allowed, or even encouraged, at other large gatherings of people. Some of them think teachers and preachers should have guns.

Disallowing guns at their own convention is a stark display of not practicing what you preach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom