• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's appreciate: Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty

Dolemitesooner said:
Ok so I started playing this last night for the first time and I am having fun. I have a few questions though.

I have found 5 dog tags, and I can see them in my left menu while in game, but out of the game in the menu under dog tags it says I have none when I load my game file. What do I need to do to get them recognized there.

Dog tags are organised into what difficulty level you obtained the dog tag at (iirc). Try switching difficulties in the dog tag screen and they will probably show up.

Dolemitesooner

Neo Member
Will do. Thanks!

I am defusing bombs at the moment. Raiden is such a pussy. I like the plot so far, but when raiden and rose talk I wanna slit my wrists. Lol

Leckan said:
I don't care if it has or hasn't been posted. This video is mandatory everytime soneone talks about MGS 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq6L1HV5gz4

BEST.TRAILER.EVER.

I remember downloading it on my measly 56k modem which took hours. I must have watched it 20 times a row afterwards. Still haven't been so impressed by any game. It was so far ahead of it's competition it wasn't even funny. Never been so hyped in my life.

I still get goose pimples when I watch that trailer. Truly epic!

depths20XX

I don't dislike it because of Raiden. I dislike it because the second half was boring, the location was boring, the story turned to shit, the plot was convoluted just for the sake of being convoluted.

It was still an ok game...

J2 Cool

GoncaloCCastro said:
Love the game!

Here's something Geoff Keighley wrote for Gamespot before the game came out, it's a good read for fans of the game that never read it. http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/features/video/btg_mgs2/index.html

Great article, read it the entire way through. Surprised they didn't mention the demo they released with ZOE though, when talking about how they hadn't released playable MGS2 at E3 2001.

Anyway, I love MGS, MGS2 for its level of ambition. But I don't really love it as much as MGS1 or 3. It just never gains the emotional momentum that those two do, yet they try for those scenes anyway. I agree also that the characters and locations aren't as memorable as it's predecessor either. Big Shell's boring to move around, though it's sterile color scheme did start to grow on me as someone else pointed out for them.

StuBurns said:
For me all the MGS games have gone the same way, the start, when the basic stealth mechanics are fully in play. In MGS1 you have the amazing intro scene, the awesome stealth gameplay, you have the great Ocelot fight, then it goes downhill, not massively, but slowly over the course of the game, the game gets worse. There are some great bits later, as there are with all the games, but that initial hour is the best. The boat is the best in MGS2. The first section of Snake Eater was the best (although the lame camo system and other micromanagement pretty much spoiled that game for me). The start of MGS4 is by far the best. In fact, the demo is the best part of the game.

It's as if he doesn't realize how special that gameplay is, as if he's perfected it without knowing it's good, so he's always trying to distract you from it, and filter it out as the game goes on. If and when anyone makes a game that is like the demo of MGS4 the whole way through, they're going to make something that'll outclass anything Kojima has mustered by a long way.

Disagree. MGS3 picks up directly after the nuke. Love the opening credits that far in, the long stretches of gameplay in the middle, and terrific, intense bossfights in the middle. With a superb ending. The opening to that game is the least memorable part.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
bhlaab said:
I don't mind raiden, it's just that the big shell is such a boring location, all the boss fights are lame, and so many corners were cut near the end of development (cutscenes replaced by extended codec conversations, a good 1/4 of the struts unavailable, etc)

Oh, and EE's death is without a doubt the stupidest thing ever so I don't know what yall talkin about

Pretty much how I feel word for word. The last part of the game was so nonsensical that it pretty much turned me off to Metal Gear.

I absolutely love the trailer, however. As others have said, I don't think I've ever been as hyped for a game as much as I was for Metal Gear Solid 2. The trailer brought goosebumps to my skin every time I watched it.

george_us

My favorite Metal Gear game. Loved the crazy story, tight gameplay, and the absolutely AMAZING soundtrack. MGS3 was good but too "safe" in my opinion while MGS4 was plain terrible. The Beauty and the Beast Unit were some of the most terrifying bosses to ever be in a game yet the actual boss fights were lame as hell. Damn Guns of the Patriots was so much wasted potential.

ampere

When I first played this game it was such a rush. When I played it for a second time, it was still a rush.

HARIKARI I NEED SCISSORS! 61!

<3

Oh and just in case this hasn't been posted:
stepmom.png

Branson

Bear in mind I'm still playing through MGS5, but MGS2 is Kojima's masterpiece. It was what HE wanted to do, where HE wanted to take the series before the fans decided to send him death threats to make more. But thats not saying any other game in the series was bad, I think PW is excellent so far and totally love MGS1, 3, and 4, but MGS2 just has that something about it thats special.

SumGamer

The first three games should be remade for PS3 since BC is not an option.

How hard is it to improve the quality of the first one to today HD standard?

JohngPR

MGS2 will always have a special place in my heart. It's probably the game I anticipated the most before its release and I've seen the E3 trailer a countless amount of times and played the demo just as much.

I think the story in MGS2 gets a bum rap because it became a bit too convoluted for its own good. The entire SSS stuff towards the end was probably the nail in the coffin for those that didn't like the game.

I thought the game was wonderfully meta...and one of the first games to really express that to the extent that it did.

As far as the thing with Raiden, the only thing that runs through my head when I think about it is "Man, the balls on that guy!". LOL

Look at the gaming industry and how things are run now, and tell me how many creators would have the balls to do what he did with Raiden? Taking a sequel to a game as commercially and critically lauded as Metal Gear Solid and pulling that twist is a megaton the likes we will probably never see again. It's so amazing that it was kept a secret the entire time and to this day can't believe he had the balls to pull the trigger on that twist.

I really appreciated the story in MGS2 because you know it was all Kojima. Fuck target demographics, fuck play testing, fuck appeasing others. We got to see Kojima express himself for better or worse.

I just played Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and I watched the cutscenes in Metal Gear Portable Ops (just can't get into that game as much as I try) and I'm current playing Metal Gear Peace Walker. I think I'm going to make a thing of it and replay all of the other Metal Gears as well. Well, I might skip MGS1 because quite honestly I've beat it so many damn times that I might be bored. Maybe I'll play through MGS: The Graphic Novel for that one instead.

:lol

Young Nobleman Of Sadness said:
Loved Raiden.]MGS4 story would have been better with the "Real" Liquid.

One thing that will always bother me and is the worst misstep in the MGS lore IMO is how he chose to reveal why Ocelot was taken over by Liquid. MGS4 Spoilers:
Hypnosis, really? You created a character that has a spirit medium ghost dad that can communicate with the dead and you don't think to use that as a reason as to why a dead character could possess his body? You go with fucking hypnosis!?

Mega fail IMO.

Endo Punk

When I think of MGS the tanker section is the first thing that comes to mind, I played that part in the ZOE demo and MGS2 so much that I practically see it everytime I close my eyes. And Big Shell is also my favourite in the series. Kojima was on top form with MGS2 and he didn't let fans dictate his move like with MGS4 and MGS3, but they're still awesome in their own right.

Looking at Snake from another perspective was key for me in realising how awesome he is, if it wasn't for MGS2 I feel Snake would be nowhere near as memorable. And the fluidity of the controls and movement? Just simply amazing.

I just played Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and I watched the cutscenes in Metal Gear Portable Ops (just can't get into that game as much as I try) and I'm current playing Metal Gear Peace Walker. I think I'm going to make a thing of it and replay all of the other Metal Gears as well. Well, I might skip MGS1 because quite honestly I've beat it so many damn times that I might be bored...

unlike most, i really enjoyed portable ops, & just replayed it following my (hd) replay of mgs2. gotta admit, it was kinda nice starting off with a maxed out crew, & mostly just playing for the story, but getting the crew the first time thru was, for me anyway, fun at the time...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I did mention this in another MGS thread, but since this is the MGS2 Appreciation Thread...

I've played the Tanker level that many times. I bought the game when it came out in 2002, played the Tanker, loved it, a brilliant piece of cinematic entertainment. Then I started Big Shell. I only made it to the first Vamp scene and I was already put off. Sold my PS2 shortly after.

2006 I got a PS2 off a mate with heaps of games for cheap as chips. I started playing it again, did the tanker, still loved it, started Raiden, couldn't get into it (I finished MGS3 about a year before), switched it off, didn't return.

Picked up my PS3 in Dec 09. One of the first games I bought was MGS4, loved it although the ending really dragged on but it was a great end to the series and looks awesome. Still knew nothing about Raiden except what I saw in MGS4.

Sunday just gone I bought MGS HD on PS3 and am playing through the games in order starting with MGS2. I have just made it up to the battle with Fortune in Shell 1 and so far I am loving this game. What I also like is that for me I am experiencing a 'new' Metal Gear game today, right now. The codecs are still a bit lame, I can't stand Rose and I hope that Otacon makes an appearance again in this.

I tried to avoid the spoilers on this page but I already saw E.E dies, not that I've met her yet but... you know.

Anyway, I'll post back when I've completed it, although the Vita and some review games will be taking up my time over the next week so we'll see.

Anustart

Absolutely loved part two. It's my most replayed Metal Gear game ever, and I keep going back to it. I liked the story even with it's outrageous-ness, and the gameplay was amazing. Collecting all the dog tags and speed running it are favorite past times of mine. I still remember my first playthrough and being blown away by the graphics back in the day.

MIKEAL

Banned
Do you guys remember buying the demo that came packaged with an extra mech game inside? I played the shit out of that demo, 50 dollars well spent.

Absolutely loved part two. It's my most replayed Metal Gear game ever, and I keep going back to it. I liked the story even with it's outrageous-ness, and the gameplay was amazing. Collecting all the dog tags and speed running it are favorite past times of mine. I still remember my first playthrough and being blown away by the graphics back in the day.

I didn't discover dog tags until a month after playing MGS2. It was like the game has really opened up after I learned how.

PKrockin

I loved the game with the stealth gameplay, graphics, music, AI and all the little easter eggs, but then the pacing went to hell and the story became completely incomprehensible. I'd say MGS1 was better (only played the first two), but overall I like MGS2.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
This is the first game that I just completely beasted. I remember watching the cutscene with snake taking single shots at the Cyphers out on the water bridges and deciding that i wouldn't stop running through it and collecting dogtags till i could be that gangster with the pistol. And eventually I was. By the end of my time with the game I could easily beat it in an afternoon. Will always love the hell out of it.. story an all. Pre-nanomachine craziness is fantastic. Git Gud indeed.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
MGS4 Spoilers:
Hypnosis, really? You created a character that has a spirit medium ghost dad that can communicate with the dead and you don't think to use that as a reason as to why a dead character could possess his body? You go with fucking hypnosis!?

Mega fail IMO.

I always wondered why they decided to blanket carpet bomb
nano machines
into every explanation. Seemed like such a waste of some of the lore they built up in 3. Even MGS1 had Vulcan played straight. Missed opportunity for sure.

AwShucks

I'm actually replaying this right now in my replay of all main story Metal Gear games in chronological order. Meaning I only have this and MGS4 left (I included MGS3, PO, PW, MG1, MG2, MGS1, MGS2 and MGS4).

I never hated Raiden, but I definitely have figured out why most people did. It's not Raiden that's horrible, it's Rose. Even my wife starts making fun of her as soon as her codecs come up. She's just bad. The only other "bad" thing I can think of so far in this game is the textures at Big Shell. Everything just feels so flat compared to how awesome the Tanker looked.

I'm only at Fatman right now, but I am looking forward to getting to some of the even more WTFness that comes later.

Frost_Ace

The only problem I have with this game is how boring and stale the locales are in the plant section which is, after playing the game three times, a huge problem.

sphinx

the piano man
serious question: If I played twin snakes on Gamecube, did I actually played MGS2? (cause it's the omly MGS game I have completed)

and lol, did anyone notice that a junior bumped a 2 year old thread? :D

dmshaposv

serious question: If I played twin snakes on Gamecube, did I actually played MGS2? (cause it's the omly MGS game I have completed)

Twin Snakes is a remake of MGS1, bro. MGS2 is an entirely different game.

RagnarokX

No, you played an over-the-top meh remake of a good game with some of the best music removed.

I never hated Raiden, but I definitely have figured out why most people did. It's not Raiden that's horrible, it's Rose. Even my wife starts making fun of her as soon as her codecs come up. She's just bad.
What?! You don&#8217;t think this is gold?
Code:
Rose: Well, Jack. It sounds like you and Miss Emma are getting along just
fine.I've been monitoring your every move and conversation. I can't say
it's been fun...
Raiden: Give me a break! I'm only trying to keep her spirits up.
Rosemary: Is that right?
Raiden: Absolutely. My mission is to get her to the Computer Room.
Rosemary: That's all?
Raiden: Yeah.
Rosemary: You're lying. You're attracted to her, aren't you.
Raiden: ...I'll admit she's cute.
Rosemary: Cuter than me?
Raiden: Rose, you're beautiful. You know how I feel about you.
Rosemary: Have you remembered yet? You mean April 30th?
Raiden: It's your birthday, isn't it.
Rosemary: Wrong! You're not even warm!

PKrockin

Funniest line was
that bomb squad guy ranting about how he killed his soul with bombs
. Much funnier than
EE's death scene

I love MGS as a franchise, but in my humble opinion 2 was a disappointment. The story became a mess around the time you get to the president. I played the demo that came with ZOE more than I can remember. MGS 1 is my favorite game of all time. MGS 2's graphics were mind blowing for the time. Unparalleled even. Hell, it still stands up today. But to say it was the best of the series is blasphemy.

Muffdraul

I fucking love MGS2, always have. But after recently replaying MGS1, MGS2 HD, MGS3 HD, and MGS4, I have to say that MGS2 is my least favorite of the bunch. I still love it, though.

Top Bottom