• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Celebrate Resident Evil 6s 5th Anniversary & talk about the future of Action RE

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
After RE6, I hope action RE has no future.

BadWolf

Gimme dat sweet, sweet Action RE!

tumblr_nivn3uLJEh1qdrfdro1_500.gif

IaDC7n0.gif

NeBzm2z.gif

tumblr_olfw1zAIWN1w1nb8jo7_400.gif

3w01BCy.gif

QD400mq.gif

tumblr_mbkejesFeS1rdagfgo1_500.gif

Stomp.gif

rPCaUi1.gif

e7uvOH1.gif

6ae7CCN.gif

Sex.

Arklite

One cool aspects of this game was the sudden 4 player cooperative sections for certain sections or boss fights. You'd be playing as Leon/Helena and then scrambling to solve a puzzle with another duo playing Chris/Pierce, or fighting off a boss with a live Sherry/Jake duo. Sadly my bud and I only experienced this in our first run but it was a blast to see.

Pooya

I think concept of it having that many characters was cool, they failed to pull it off. After they patched auto QTEs among other things the game was fun to play but it was a little late, everyone was set at that point that RE6 sucks and it honestly does suck in most aspects. Encounters, bosses and levels are all mediocre at best. Play it for Mercenaries, it's so good.

RE was born from horror, survival, creepy locales, andover-the-top badguys and adversaries, etc.

To the Bolded: All of which RE 6 had.

The entire reason Resident Evil went action in the first place is that Resident Evil's sales from 2000 to 2003 were too low for Capcom to consider it worth continuing the franchise. It's why Mikami made Resident Evil 4 the way he did.

I love old school Resident Evil. Hell, I wish Capcom would make another one. And I'll fully admit the campaign design on RE 6 was utter bullshit. But the gameplay is something else.

Peroroncino

Best RE is action RE.

Remakes are good enough to scratch that nostalgia itch, but as far as new games are concerned, I want action RE.

Oh, and no more first person perspective, I've had my fill of that with indie horror games.

georly

What are your fondest memories of RE6?

Playing 'who can slide into the boxes first' when I replayed it last year. Putting that little made-up minigame into the game made the tedious campaign marginally enjoyable.

DocSeuss

Well i mean
ai-si54msiy.gif
zamgjb4hsjb.gif

capture9asro.png

Even if horror stays the focus from here on out and there's not even full-on action spin-offs. I think there'll still be some things carried on from those 3 games.

Dude has like no ammo tho, which is awesome. Seems like it'll be super tense, closer to Dead Space than regular shooters. I'm into it.

Renna Hazel

I miss action RE. I can only hope the series returns to the style of RE4 and 5 soon. 6 was a step backwards and 7 seemed awful based on the demo.

Love:
the game play, visuals and Mercenaries.

Hate:
How long the campaign levels are. Far too long in my opinion.

The future:
I hope revelations keeps the 3rd person action coming. 7 does nothing for me personally.

BadWolf

The entire reason Resident Evil went action in the first place is that Resident Evil's sales from 2000 to 2003 were too low for Capcom to consider it worth continuing the franchise. It's why Mikami made Resident Evil 4 the way he did.

It was also said in an interview that the devs themselves were getting bored of working on the classic series and members were leaving to join other teams to work on other games.

luulubuu

I remember being playing RE6 with a friend and it was like falling in love with a jock
It was dumb, funny, charming and with a love out of boundaries, RE6 might not be as good as we expected but it was damn good

Marcel

Jake's campaign should be committed to a sensitive-to-collapse mine shaft. One of the most unpleasant experiences I've played in an action game from last generation.

kunonabi

To the Bolded: All of which RE 6 had.

I love old school Resident Evil. Hell, I wish Capcom would make another one. And I'll fully admit the campaign design on RE 6 was utter bullshit. But the gameplay is something else.

low sales were due to Capcom's mismanagement more than anything else.

Kazuhira

I welcome action RE if RE8 is more like 4 or 5,but improving what they've built with 7 is still my personal best choice.

poodaddy

terrible, terrible game. Shooting feels floaty and impactless. You trip over dead bodies while running around. Shit story and pacing. Bad QTEs. Doesn't feel like a RE game.

Beautiful graphics and cinematography, though. I'll give it that.
This is all very true, sadly. Here's hoping that action re does make its way back, but in a form nothing like RE6.

Rellik

Might be some of the worst AAA campaign and level design I've ever seen. Its horrendously bad, unfun and long.

I uninstalled it after 10 minutes. One of the only times I've ever done that. Opening up with a slow walking section with QTEs was just horrendous.

luulubuu

Thread- Let's celebrate a game!

Gaf- lawl yeah it sucks!

Also another thread - RE action can coexist with classic RE!

Gaf- HOW DARE YOU?!

No biased at all huh

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I uninstalled it after 10 minutes. One of the only times I've ever done that. Opening up with a slow walking section with QTEs was just horrendous.

That bit was a 10/10 compared to what came next.

Honestly I love action RE, 5 being my favorite one, but 6 went way overboard on QTEs. I'm someone whose favorite gaming moment is punching a boulder.

Marcel

Thread- Let's celebrate a game!

Gaf- lawl yeah it sucks!

Also another thread - RE action can coexist with classic RE!

Gaf- HOW DARE YOU?!

No biased at all huh

RE6 is probably the best example of how you can ruin a great playing game with abysmal campaign design. Crying about your circlejerk doesn't change that.

Arklite

Honestly I love action RE, 5 being my favorite one, but 6 went way overboard on QTEs. I'm someone whose favorite gaming moment is punching a boulder.

The abundance of them can be overwhelming, but once you learn them for each enemy it's pretty much party time all the time. RE5 definitely had a better focused co-op design though, which is something I lamented of RE6.

Markitron

The abundance of them can be overwhelming, but once you learn them for each enemy it's pretty much party time all the time. RE5 definitely had a better focused co-op design though, which is something I lamented of RE6.

Having so many is bad enough, but they were just so needless as well. Even something as mundane as opening a door had you rotating the sticks around like a madman. I thought my analogue sticks were going to break.

killatopak

Guy is trying to bomb the thread for no reason and going personal, and he is in evert Action RE thread with the same argument. Kinda worrying at this point

Yeah, but you shouldn't reply like that or it'll back fire.

I do kinda agree that action RE tends to be thrown on the wayside on gaf threads but there was a lot of people speaking up for it too. There were tons of concessions like spin offs can be made pure action while the main line games could be horror.

I'm very much a classic RE kinda guy but I do understand the appeal of the action ones. I just hope they can both exist as I wouldn't want one or the other to disappear.

Marcel

Guy is trying to bomb the thread for no reason and going personal, and he is in evert Action RE thread with the same argument. Kinda worrying at this point

The fact that you're still here when telling people to go outside is more worrying ;)

I disagree with the bad being how huge the game was. I love how it was an epic long Japanese action game that had lots of variety without having to buy any DLC. I loved RE6 but its not the direction I want the series to move in. I'd be down for RE7 or RE4-2.

I do kinda agree that action RE tends to be thrown on the wayside on gaf threads but there was a lot of people speaking up for it too. There were tons of concessions like spin offs can be made pure action while the main line games could be horror.

I'm very much a classic RE kinda guy but I do understand the appeal of the action ones. I just hope they can both exist as I wouldn't want one or the other to disappear.

Yeah, I think both can exist

...but they should go more for RE4/5 style action than RE6 style lol

Diablo 3 was worse. With RE6 you at least had an idea since it clearly followed in the footsteps of RE5

I dunno...RE5 was a mellow methodical time compared to RE6, which can't go an hour without a nuke going off

luulubuu

One thing is properly explain why and another is just jump the gun like a massive nerd, but yeah I do agree, a few weeks ago I made a thread in half of a comedic tone about Action RE being the best RE, of course is not.

Because me, myself, I don't think they are the best, because I don't think they are comparable at all, every RE approach is so their own thing that they can't be charted.

I do prefer Action RE because it takes itself way waaaay less seriously and that tends to a more relaxed story and pacing, what's the problem? In RE6 that doesn't exist and we have a very bad bloated campaign mode that stays it's welcome too much.

I do prefer RE4 over 6 but it would be a waste to see the gunplay lost, it could work wonders in a just mercenaries game, I think

The fact that you're still here when telling people to go outside is more worrying ;)

Not need to chill at all

This response was even more childish than the one you were replying to, nice job.

So? I do not need a higher ground and be extremely mature, probably will fly over the head of the guy if I do, but let's don't derail the thread <3

Top Bottom