• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Celebrate Resident Evil 6s 5th Anniversary & talk about the future of Action RE

Raptomex

I just beat this recently. I prefer action to horror and as a fan of 4 and 5, I thought I would really enjoy this. I did not. I found The Mercenaries mode to be its only major upside since it focuses on action while not having you experience all of the other bullshit.

RE5, on the other hand, I've beaten at least four times now. Excellent co-op game. Not even co-op could save 6.

Yeah, I think both can exist

...but they should go more for RE4/5 style action than RE6 style lol
Disagree. Though I still like the limited action of 4 and 5, the action in 6 in of itself is just as enjoyable and something I want Capcom to expand upon. The majority of issues in RE6 stem from weird ass decisions, like tripping, and level designs plaguing the campaign that hurt the mechanics and enemy encounters.

DocSeuss

Thread- Let's celebrate a game!

Gaf- lawl yeah it sucks!

Also another thread - RE action can coexist with classic RE!

Gaf- HOW DARE YOU?!

No biased at all huh

I mean, based on what I played, it's a genuinely bad video game. If you make a Custer's Revenge birthday celebration thread, don't be surprised when it gets the flak it so rightly deserves. You can't always get what you want. You get what you need. And RE6 needs to be dropped into a volcano.

Jawmuncher

I mean, based on what I played, it's a genuinely bad video game. If you make a Custer's Revenge birthday celebration thread, don't be surprised when it gets the flak it so rightly deserves. You can't always get what you want. You get what you need. And RE6 needs to be dropped into a volcano.

I don't think so. It does have good elements and with the game selling another million on PS4 and XB1 alone. There seems to be enough people that think the same. That's not to say it's all perfect but there's definitely good to take away from the game rather than just painting it all ass being unreedemable with nothing of value. I Still say there's a large case of horror fans just being louder than action fans. Which is why there's an odd disconnect with the game here on GAF and other places.

Arklite

I do wonder what Capcom thinks internally. RE6's combat is too damn amazing to be mothballed, but the development of RE Engine seems like a big commitment to RE7 style games. Not that I mind as RE7 is great, but RE identity is so multifaceted now.

DocSeuss

I don't think so. It does have good elements and with the game selling another million on PS4 and XB1 alone. There seems to be enough people that think the same. That's not to say it's all perfect but there's definitely good to take away from the game rather than just painting it all ass being unreedemable with nothing of value. I Still say there's a large case of horror fans just being louder than action fans. Which is why there's an odd disconnect with the game here on GAF and other places.

Maybe it's a great game, but I gave it over an hour of my time, and found that it exemplified the worst of last-gen AAA gaming. I don't see in it what you do, and I'm not sure what needs to happen for me to get to where you are with it.

I'm a huge action fan. I wrote a big piece for Kotaku a few months ago arguing that Dead Space 2 is one of the best games out there. I love me my action horror. My issue with RE6 was that it had neither.

Disagree. Though I still like the limited action of 4 and 5, the action in 6 in of itself is just as enjoyable and something I want Capcom to expand upon. The majority of issues in RE6 stem from weird ass decisions, like tripping, and level designs plaguing the campaign that hurt the mechanics and enemy encounters.

Oh, RE6 esque action should continue eventually. Just not in an RE.

Put it in Dino Crisis

Sesha

I wish we'd stop viewing everything as action vs. horror. I think there's more than just horror fans that hate RE6. The whole action-horror fandom dichotomy isn't really true in a lot of places. You'll frequently see people who love 4 and/or 5 but dislike or even hate 6.

JayEH

I do wonder what Capcom thinks internally. RE6's combat is too damn amazing to be mothballed, but the development of RE Engine seems like a big commitment to RE7 style games. Not that I mind as RE7 is great, but RE identity is so multifaceted now.

I think they know people like it based on sales alone but who knows what goes on with this company. They released umbrella corps thinking this would satisfy the mercs fans.

Kinsei

Banned
Maybe it's a great game, but I gave it over an hour of my time, and found that it exemplified the worst of last-gen AAA gaming. I don't see in it what you do, and I'm not sure what needs to happen for me to get to where you are with it.

I'm a huge action fan. I wrote a big piece for Kotaku a few months ago arguing that Dead Space 2 is one of the best games out there. I love me my action horror. My issue with RE6 was that it had neither.

Yeah, a big problem with the game is that it doesn't really explain how you're meant to play it. It takes hours just to get a grasp of the basics because the game doesn't tell you anything. It wasn't until after I had finished one of the campaigns that I got a good grasp on the game. It's no wonder so many people dislike the game.

That being said once I got the hang of the gameplay it became one of my favorite action games of all time.

tesqui

It's weird cause I'm a fan of action RE in the sense that I love RE4, but I really can't get into RE6. I'd like for another action RE game, but would vastly prefer it to be like the tight singleplayer experience that is RE4. They'll probably stick with the coop model though since everyone except me seems to prefer that.

KDC720

It's a deeply flawed gem of a game that I really enjoy even with it's faults.

I agree in that its not the direction I wanted the mainline to continue in, but the combat system is too good not to be used again in some form.

Jawmuncher

I just can't agree with that last bit. It might be low on horror but it definitely has action in spades. Hell it's a lot of times the biggest complaint against the game.

I wish we'd stop viewing everything as action vs. horror. I think there's more than just horror fans that hate RE6. The whole action-horror fandom dichotomy isn't really true in a lot of places. You'll frequently see people who love 4 and/or 5 but dislike or even hate 6.

Eh. It's sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. For the sake of discussion it's just easier to label it as such. Obviously it's not a one size fits all, but it's definitely a decent general rule. For the last 5 years, especially on GAF. The typical discussion usually amount to "I only like RE4 since 5 and 6 got too actiony". When in hindsight it really just comes down to needing a good action game which does a better job of balancing horror and atmosphere. Something which RE5 and RE6 do lack.

Marcel

I wish we'd stop viewing everything as action vs. horror. I think there's more than just horror fans that hate RE6. The whole action-horror fandom dichotomy isn't really true in a lot of places. You'll frequently see people who love 4 and/or 5 but hate 6.

I love action games, which is why disliking a game with such good gameplay was initially a tough pill to swallow. I would rather be killed in RE5's heat beam temple puzzle again and again than even bothering with Jake and Sherry or the schizophrenic level design of Lanshiang.

Oh, RE6 esque action should continue eventually. Just not in an RE.

Put it in Dino Crisis
Whenever Capcom's interested in bringing back DC, I'll be there.

Until then, a spin off to coincide the new mainline horror releases would be neat.

Put Jake in there.
Bring back Sheva.
Cameo of Billy Coen

Shit, have Jill do something

Marcel

Until then, a spin off to coincide the new mainline horror releases would be neat.

Put Jake in there.
Bring back Sheva.
Cameo of Billy Coen

I'd rather they do a totally new IP with the RE6 system and not have any RE-related baggage come with it. I don't think Capcom is in a position to do that but we're in the clouds already anyway.

Resident Evil 6 is a fun, goofy action game that I played a couple of years ago that I remember somewhat fondly. I don't consider it a Resident Evil game however and I'll likely never play it again.

As for the future of RE as an action game. I would personally prefer a return to the more restricting and ridged playstyle of RE4 with a minimalistic theme (no highway helicopter chases or military zombies)

duckroll

Learn from DOOM, Yakuza, and Binary Domain. More responsive action, more exciting set pieces, bosses and enemies with more procedural damage on weak points, make melee feel more badass, let the player be one with Chris or Leon.

JayEH

Put Jake in there.
Bring back Sheva.
Cameo of Billy Coen

Having Jill do something substantial is like having cammy wear pants. Capcom will never allow it.

Great game despite its flaws. I loved playing as Jake and have weaker like powers. One of the best third person combat systems.

Marcel

Learn from DOOM, Yakuza, and Binary Domain. More responsive action, more exciting set pieces, bosses and enemies with more procedural damage on weak points, make melee feel more badass, let the player be one with Chris or Leon.

Binary Domain was also better at making you care about your teammates, having interactions that help you learn about their pasts or their motivations for being part of the international squad. By the end of RE6 I couldn't have cared less about one-note characters like Helena or Piers.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

It's amazing to me how little Capcom have used Jill since RE3. Back then she was essentially the series' biggest character, and of the 9 full games released since she has only been properly featured in a handheld spin-off, a REmake of the first game and a cameo in RE5.

If she was a real person I'd be thinking that she ran over the dog of the CEO of Capcom or something.

Sesha

Eh. It's sort of a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. For the sake of discussion it's just easier to label it as such. Obviously it's not a one size fits all, but it's definitely a decent general rule. For the last 5 years, especially on GAF. The typical discussion usually amount to "I only like RE4 since 5 and 6 got too actiony". When in hindsight it really just comes down to needing a good action game which does a better job of balancing horror and atmosphere. Something which RE5 and RE6 do lack.

I mostly see people who thought RE4 was a better game, or to a lesser degree didn't like the switch to co-op. I know there are people who didn't like 5/6 because of less horror elements, but I haven't noticed a lot aside from people on GameFAQs. And I'm sure many have other reasons than just that.

luulubuu

I would be okay with a melee focus RE game where guns are like combo makers

I'd rather they do a totally new IP with the RE6 system and not have any RE-related baggage come with it. I don't think Capcom is in a position to do that but we're in the clouds already anyway.
Ultimately, I don't really care wherever the system ends up so long as it's expanded upon. But I'm not against it showing again in RE. The universe has a lot of kooky shit with, sometimes kooky, people experienced in tackling them. I think it can be a good meld for certain stories in the REverse, of which I am interested in seeing alongside more grounded tales featuring complete nobodies.

Sesha

It's amazing to me how little Capcom have used Jill since RE3. Back then she was essentially the series' biggest character, and of the 9 full games released since she has only been properly featured in a handheld spin-off, a REmake of the first game and a cameo in RE5.

If she was a real person I'd be thinking that she ran over the dog of the CEO of Capcom or something.

They were trying to phase her out since the beginning. 3 was originally a side story after all. You'll notice every game since 3 featuring a female character was either a side game, or had them as a secondary main or supporting character.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I mostly see people who thought RE4 was a better game, or to a lesser degree didn't like the switch to co-op. I know there are people who didn't like 5/6 because of less horror elements, but I haven't noticed a lot aside from people on GameFAQs. And I'm sure many have other reasons than just that.

I think RE6 did a lot to help RE5's reputation. People thought RE5 was too action-based and then RE6 came out and skewed the perception.

georly

When you're invited to a party or celebration you don't wanna be a party pooper because you don't agree with what they're celebrating. You just don't show up.

Better crickets than bashing.

Let's celebrate is not an invitation to people who don't like it. It's a rally for those who do.

Gbraga

Wesker Returns: Resident Evil 6

Third person action spin-off, you play as Jake.

You don't have to thank me, Capcom.

This is kind of hilarious, but I own the game and I know I played through it and yet I barely remember anything about it. Like people are posting screenshots of different parts of the game and they do not ring a bell whatsoever. The only things I remember about this game were the opening, and then I think some part where you're doing laps around a town trying to avoid/kill a giant monster or something.

Lingitiz

The weird positivity around RE6 after launch is so baffling to me. The game was really fucking bad and the mechanics were flashy but not necessarily intuitive or fun. Enemies were a chore to fight and the game has zero sense of exploration or tension. The story is a nonsensical trainwreck and not in the "so bad it's good" way that past RE games could be at times.

It says a lot that I bought the game for 15 bucks on PC expecting to turn my brain off and play it in coop and have a good stupid fun time, and could barely stomach one campaign before calling it quits.

5 years later and it still has the best third person shooter mechanics, controls and enemy variety/design in the genre.

Shame about the problems with the actual campaigns but the game's lasting legacy will be it's TPS greatness.

Marcel

5 years later and it still has the best third person shooter mechanics, controls and enemy variety/design in the genre.

Shame about the problems with the actual campaigns but the game's lasting legacy will be it's TPS greatness.

I think its lasting legacy will be further dividing the RE fanbase with the gameplay coming in second place.

poodaddy

One thing is properly explain why and another is just jump the gun like a massive nerd, but yeah I do agree, a few weeks ago I made a thread in half of a comedic tone about Action RE being the best RE, of course is not.

Because me, myself, I don't think they are the best, because I don't think they are comparable at all, every RE approach is so their own thing that they can't be charted.

I do prefer Action RE because it takes itself way waaaay less seriously and that tends to a more relaxed story and pacing, what's the problem? In RE6 that doesn't exist and we have a very bad bloated campaign mode that stays it's welcome too much.

I do prefer RE4 over 6 but it would be a waste to see the gunplay lost, it could work wonders in a just mercenaries game, I think

Not need to chill at all

So? I do not need a higher ground and be extremely mature, probably will fly over the head of the guy if I do, but let's don't derail the thread <3

I just want to point out that you just insulted the intelligence of another poster while utilizing impressively bad grammar. The irony here is palpable. Also, what's wrong with communicating like a decent human being? All anyone did was post their opinions, opinions that sometimes aligned with your's and some that differed, and yet you pick out the opinions that differ and try to insult them and complain about their posting in the thread at all. I mean just review what you said to him first, you were rude to begin with.

Jawmuncher

I just want to point out that you just insulted the intelligence of another poster while utilizing impressively bad grammar. The irony here is palpable. Also, what's wrong with communicating like a decent human being? All anyone did was post their opinions, opinions that sometimes aligned with your's and some that differed, and yet you pick out the opinions that differ and try to insult them and complain about their posting in the thread at all. I mean just review what you said to him first, you were rude to begin with.

They're not from the US. So cut them slack on their grammar.

My dream for the RE franchise would be slow-paced single player horror games, and then standalone multiplayer action games with Mercenaries and Raid modes.

Marcel

My dream for the RE franchise would be slow-paced single player horror games, and then standalone multiplayer action games with Mercenaries and Raid modes.

Seconded. I would love Mercenaries or Raid to be fleshed out to be a full PvE suite that includes multiplayer and RE6 gameplay.

Gin-Shiio

While I loved the melee of RE6, it felt too powerful in comparison to the guns, which felt like they had lost all impact. Shooting thus became very unsatisfying. For the next entry, I hope they balance this out better.

Big parts of action RE's appeal to me is playing as a badass, sexy motherfucker, so of course I do hope they continue that tradition. If they decide to bring back older characters, please don't give them new welcomers as a co-op partner just to kill them off by the end of the campaign. If anything, make it be the other way around. You're long due, Chris!

TreIII

I would be okay with a melee focus RE game where guns are like combo makers

It'd be funny if this very thing is what Kobayashi may be working on next.

Give the BASARA team something else to do, since that brand is taking a break after that Yukimura spin-off disaster!

At this point, CAPCOM should just create a new IP based around the action-design of RE6 without the lore restrictions and keep the RE/Bio franchise into it's horror roots.

Top Bottom