• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Kater

Banned
Full disclosure, this is my site I'm linking to. Full(er) disclosure, we don't have ads so I don't get any money from clicks :p

Emily did a pretty interesting piece where she interviewed 13 developers on nintendo platforms and asked them what they thought about region locking. You can read it here.

Great article!
Re-tweeted and liked. Don't let this movement die so soon, people.

Raist

Banned
The 360 wasn't region free, but developers could make games work in multiple regions so it wasn't far off it.

PS3 similarly, but it might as well be region free. It only had 1 retail region locked game after all.

Before that, region locking was mostly standard.

Quite a number of 360 games are region locked, but okay.

I always see people trying to defend it that way. MS and Sony made a region-free console by default. Whether or not developpers go against this by actively putting region lock in is irrelevant. I mean it's like trying to argue that these consoles have an always-online requirement because they have a bunch of online-only games.

People consider it a standard because they have been used to most consoles being essentially region-free for nearly a decade now. Apart from Nintendo's. Hence the sentiment that it's fucked up, and why this thread exists.

gngf123

I always see people trying to defend it that way. MS and Sony made a region-free console by default. Whether or not developpers go against this by actively putting region lock in is irrelevant. I mean it's like trying to argue that these consoles have an always-online requirement because they have a bunch of online-only games.

People consider it a standard because they have been used to most consoles being essentially region-free for nearly a decade now. Apart from Nintendo's. Hence the sentiment that it's fucked up, and why this thread exists.

Sony I will give you, but not MS.

PS3 games didn't have set "regions" exactly, but different regions had slightly different PS3 models and you could in theory region lock your game by querying what model the game was being played on, IIRC.

To my knowledge, the 360 on the other hand does have set regions. It is region locked. It has an upper hand on the WiiU because it was possible for developers to get their games working in more than one region. It isn't "region free by default".

Also, there are a lot of 360 games that are region locked, there is only 1 retail region locked PS3 game.

Raysoul

I actually support this campaign. However, if this campaign will be successful, I couldn't think of anything that will "personally" benefit me. I don't know Japanese, and I also can't afford importing a single game worth double the price (if you will include shipping/tax).

I actually support this campaign. However, if this campaign will be successful, I couldn't think of anything that will "personally" benefit me. I don't know Japanese, and I also can't afford importing a single game worth double the price (if you will include shipping/tax).

You won't be completely up a creek if a game your interested in is localized in your language, but not released in your country. US gamers who wanted to play Last Window had the option of importing the European release. I imported NoE's localizations of Inazuma Eleven 1 & 2.

gngf123

Depends where you live a bit. There are a lot of games that get released in the US, but are not available in other English speaking countries.

I think there are some examples of the reverse, but not many. There are some cases like Xenoblade where that almost happened, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Inazuma Eleven.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Over double the signatures than systems shipped in Europe and Australia between April and June.

Actually that's a fair point. the fact Wii U is selling so poorly could be very helpful to this cause. If 24,000 people actually bought a Wii U as a result of Nintendo implementing a region unlock, that would be a pretty substantial increase, in its current state.

If things keep going this poorly for the console, by this time next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo actively looking to the community for suggestions on increasing the appeal of the product..

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Actually that's a fair point. the fact Wii U is selling so poorly could be very helpful to this cause. If 24,000 people actually bought a Wii U as a result of Nintendo implementing a region unlock, that would be a pretty substantial increase, in its current state.

If things keep going this poorly for the console, by this time next year I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo actively looking to the community for suggestions on increasing the appeal of the product..

Yup. At that point Nintendo has to appeal to anyone who will listen.

Keyouta

Yup. At that point Nintendo has to appeal to anyone who will listen.

Nintendo needs to get some positive press, and get some people on board with their systems; sales need to increase, and removing the region lock would do a lot of good.

Why give people reasons not to purchase your console?

I imported mine for my wife(karaoke) but, I also wanted to play US titles. So i'm kind of screwed in that I have to import everything when I just want to play a US game and pay the same prices.

I guess at the end of the day it is my fault for assuming this wouldn't be an issue when it was, what made me think that nintendo would get rid of region locking? Also their services and payment structure get on my nerves. There has to be a better way to buy those nintendo cards if you are in another country. I think this still persist for all consoles though so I won't fault them on that.

I just find it weird that I went above and beyond the call of duty for Nintendo and they won't do it for me.

Sony I will give you, but not MS.

PS3 games didn't have set "regions" exactly, but different regions had slightly different PS3 models and you could in theory region lock your game by querying what model the game was being played on, IIRC.

To my knowledge, the 360 on the other hand does have set regions. It is region locked. It has an upper hand on the WiiU because it was possible for developers to get their games working in more than one region. It isn't "region free by default".

Also, there are a lot of 360 games that are region locked, there is only 1 retail region locked PS3 game.

Just to clarify, the way the 360's region locking works is that games can only work in regions they've been certified in before release. So if you put a game through cert in the US, Europe and Japan, you can make your game region free. But if you only put it through cert in Japan, it'll be region locked to Japan.

That's why so many Japanese games are region locked, because western releases usually either come late or don't happen at all.

So an easier way to sum this all up is:
PS3 is opt out. You have to go out of your way to region lock PS3 games.
360 is opt in. You have to put effort in to make 360 games region free.

Katsuragi

David Gibson ‏@gibbogame

Hey #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree, met with Nintendo today. Saying more global launches and will listen to our consumers=hope.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/362892321924194308[/tweet]

At least they're listening!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gibbogame/status/362892321924194308[/tweet]

At least they're listening!

Finally an official acknowledgment. Timely global releases by Nintendo is one thing, but companies like Atlus will still have slow releases, unless someone with sense buys them.

Timely global releases are important, but region free isn't just about "getting stuff early because the local market is slow", it's also about "getting stuff that interests you but which probably wouldn't be profitable for a formal release in the local market".

TomJas

Banned
I signed your petition

Nintendo don't be that guy be region free

I got on holidays to a lot of different places would like to buy games without fear of them being locked

I had to import adventure for the ds because of region locking id rather have the 3ds version

because , because that's why

luokyl

I signed the petition over a month ago. Region free Wii U would make me consider the console.

My Australian 3DS experience has not been pleasant.

Having region locks for portable consoles in particular really makes no sense whatsoever. Being out of my country (and game region) for as many as 3 months a year, it's really frustrating that I basically have to resign myself to buying no games except digitally while I'm traveling. Can't take advantage of the local prices for retail copies (which is frustrating as hell when they're running sales on older titles I want). Pain in the arse.

It's really annoying indeed. A few weeks ago I was in Japan and I was holding Rune Factory 4 (my most anticipated 3DS title) in my hands, but I couldn't buy it because of the region lock. I was quite sad at the time, and I still am.

Sorry for the bump, but is this over? It can't just trail off like this..
let's finish the job!!!!
(seriously, i hope we dont just forget about this.. we're almost at 25k signitures)

Frodo

I can't understand why does Nintendo even bother to set region lock to its systems. I mean, they already explained why they do it, but it is really a problem? How many people import games from other regions to begin with?

Hopefully they will listen. I would have bought a copy of SMT4 already.

sakipon

So what are the odds the 2DS is region-locked? lol

It's aimed at kids who aren't old enough for 3D. They do not want it to play games with anime boobs.

Though it would be amusing if such a kiddy version was region-free and would become a cult hit within importers.

Vinnk

Picked up a Wii U in the US while I was there on Vacation (mostly for future text-heavy games that I want to play in English).

I'm back in Japan now. Yesterday I saw W101 at a gameshop. Would have been an insta-buy if I could play it.

Nintendo's loss: 6,900yen

Also while in the states I brought my 3DS (Japanese). Here are the games I would have bought if I could:

Fire Emblem
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Soul Hackers
Mario RPG 4

Around $140

But I'm not buying another 3DS on top of that. I'll get all of those games eventually. Probably used next time I'm in the states. But I would have bought them brand new that day if I could have.

I DID buy a bunch of PS3 games and some PSP titles that I missed out on.

But yeah, I'm such a minority as a customer that it doesn't really effect anything market wise, but I was thinking about this thread both times while shopping.

Soulhouf

I was talking with a Japanese guy about Shin Megami Tensei 4 and he ended up wanting to play the English version.
The thing is, he wasn't aware that it wouldn't work on his Japanese 3DS.

I'm sure he isn't the only one in this case, even if people like him are very rare.

Nintendo, you need to stop region locking your systems. I really can't see any valid argument to taht...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
How did I overlook the existence of this thread until now?

Cheese, you have my stylus!

Top Bottom