• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

There is still room to make it worse. So far, we've been lucky and most of the interesting titles have seen release on the three major markets. It doesn't mean it will stay that way.

Yes Boss!

It's gonna get worse before it gets better.

That's what I could have said 6 months ago. (I hope it doesn't get worse than this)

Of course it is going to get worse. A lot worse. You are going to see more and more of this type of stuff from every manufacturer as we move closer and closer to all digital.

Madness

Lol, seeing the optimism at the start of the thread that things will change and then reading today's news that they're going to block country switching and delete multiple currencies is jarring.

Yes Boss!

Vita TV and now this new double-region-locking from 3DS. Sometimes I just want this industry to crash again.

I dunno, maybe time to pick another hobby? At least with that attitude. Put your money where your beliefs are and don't buy from these companies then. Or do something like game on PC.

M3d10n

Vita TV and now this new double-region-locking from 3DS. Sometimes I just want this industry to crash again.

Even goddamn Apple got into the train too. In IOS6 it was possible to switch to different App Stores and download apps not available in yours, but in IOS7 it requires lots of US-only data making it a massive annoyance. Combine this with every single goddamn movie, TV-show and music streaming service and I wouldn't be surprised consoles start IP-geolocking stuff in the future.

Vamphuntr

So I'm a bit out of the loop but what's the issue with the Vita TV? Is it region locked also? In Nintendo's case I'm not surprised it's a fairly usual move for them.

Soulhouf

Next step: IP block.
That way I won't be able to use my 2 3DSes (US and JP) anymore.
Go on Nintendo. Do it (☉ε ⊙ノ)ノ

Dr. Buni

Goddamn, sometimes I hate myself for liking three of Nintendo's franchises so much that I still buy their devices. -_- I really don't like supporting anti-consumer companies.
I dunno, maybe time to pick another hobby? At least with that attitude.
That is not how things work.

Yes Boss!

Goddamn, sometimes I hate myself for liking three of Nintendo's franchises so much that I still buy their devices. -_- I really don't like supporting anti-consumer companies.

That is not how things work.

How does it work then? When somebody wishes the industry to crash I'm really thinking they need to examine their priorities. Or at least concentrate on some of their other hobbies more.

Speak with your money...don't buy.

It is not going to become magically more open as the world becomes more connected in the download space. Not while we have multiple currencies, different taxations, different market tastes. Folks like to save a buck...I get it...who doesn't? But you choose where you live. Roll with it, adapt, ignore (support other companies who do what you like), or get out.

It'll be interesting to see how they're handling people who want to use an NNID registered on a Wii U from one region on a 3DS from another region. I wonder if it'd be plausible for them to remove the region locking of physical game cards (where the customer bears the legal responsibility for importing anything if it's not compliant with the local classification system, etc) while they're putting this lockdown on the eShop (which may be needed for technical reasons with the NNID, or for compliance with some region's classification regime).

Dr. Buni

How does it work then? When somebody wishes the industry to crash I'm really thinking they need to examine their priorities. Or at least concentrate on some of their other hobbies more.

It is not going to become magically more open as the world becomes more connected in the download space. Not while we have multiple currencies, different taxations, different market tastes. Folks like to save a buck...I get it...who doesn't? But you choose where you live. Roll with it, adapt, ignore (support other companies who do what you like), or get out.
You don't just magically change hobbies like that. I agree about the "speak with your money" part of your post, though.

Wasn't Vita TV due to games needing to be patched to support it and no western release means no western games have this patch made...

Explain to me how it locks to country edit: Derp...says unable to change. Deleting currency already happened on the Wii. It was only implemented <> Australia for some reason...

On Wii U you had to make an NNID for each country...so it has to wait for multiple account support on 3DS (FFS...)

I don't get why it can't keep the currencies separate and coexisting, a real step backwards.

It'll be interesting to see how they're handling people who want to use an NNID registered on a Wii U from one region on a 3DS from another region. I wonder if it'd be plausible for them to remove the region locking of physical game cards (where the customer bears the legal responsibility for importing anything if it's not compliant with the local classification system, etc) while they're putting this lockdown on the eShop (which may be needed for technical reasons with the NNID, or for compliance with some region's classification regime).
Well I can't sync my Club Nintendo tho

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

People move, though. I bought all my devices while living in the US...now I'm in Europe. I shouldn't have to re-purchase all of my devices again in order to buy software locally.

So, as a result, I've all but ceased purchase of new Nintendo games (with rare exceptions).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I did sort of snigger the other day when this news came out, remembering this campaign. Convincing them to region lock harder should be comedy gold, but its instead just fucking tragic. Nintendo listens! Wrongly!

No sign of SMT4 in EU, the absolute biggest casualty of this bullshit thus far and exactly the Atlus fear I had all along with so many 3DS titles from them.

hank_tree

It won't be interesting at all. They definitely will not let you link those accounts.

Interesting movement. I certainly support it, as someone who likes playing Japanese video games and is often troubled by region locking.

I often wonder why companies like Nintendo have so long supported region locking? What does region locking the Wii U or 3DS accomplish for them?

Zafir

Wasn't Vita TV due to games needing to be patched to support it and no western release means no western games have this patch made...
Nah, US games actually work on the Vita TV, permitting you have the retail copy and use your Japanese Account.

I've heard the issue is, the Vita TV checks for the TV section of the PSN which doesn't exist outside of Japan yet. Don't know how true that is mind you.

Eitherway, I'm pretty sure it'll support other region accounts when it gets released in said regions.

Reggie is talking on @NintendoAmerica right now, taking votes for a question about Animal Crossing. It'd be great if hash tags #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree eclipsed both of the options by a wide margin.

Start by RTing this post and then send your own message to @NintendoAmerica with the above hash tags.

Thanks!

JazzmanZ

Reggie is the last person I'd ask about changing anything as Nintendo since he's caught up in his own hubris about all these amazing games all the time.

Taruranto

I'm so pissed about this, SMT4 still doesn't have a release date and I'm forced to buy games at full price when they are sold for 15$ in USA.

I was actually holding on buying the 3DS initially until someone found a way to remove the RL, but it has been such a great year for it that I decided I couldn't wait anymore.

Reggie is talking on @NintendoAmerica right now, taking votes for a question about Animal Crossing. It'd be great if hash tags #EndRegionLocking and #NintendoRegionFree eclipsed both of the options by a wide margin.

Start by RTing this post and then send your own message to @NintendoAmerica with the above hash tags.

Thanks!

Don't poke the bear! You want to wake up to news of city/town/village-locking? ;//

Reggie didn't help with Earthbound.

But the more the issue is pressed, the better. We did eventually get Earthbound.
And while it wasn't through Reggie. I'm sure that Earthbound fans questioning him didn't hurt.

Doczu

I have a question. Now with all that shitty country locking of the 3DS, should i be concerned if I have a Polish account on my console? I mean: if i create my account and set region to Poland, will I be able to get some promo stuff (like register some games and get a extra game code) from my club nintendo account (uk, because ther is no fucking polish one. You hear me Nintendo?!)?

I have a question. Now with all that shitty country locking of the 3DS, should i be concerned if I have a Polish account on my console? I mean: if i create my account and set region to Poland, will I be able to get some promo stuff (like register some games and get a extra game code) from my club nintendo account (uk, because ther is no fucking polish one. You hear me Nintendo?!)?
If it requires a Club Nintendo account to be linked to a 3DS then no. If it just requires the slips to be registered then yes.

Apparently if you choose not to make/link an NNID then the eShop works like it does now...except you can't get demos. We'll have to wait for it to be released to see what will happen. Maybe it'll be possible to unlink and re-link NNIDs infinitely (like how if you switch countries now, the Club Nintendo link sometimes get broken but you can re-link it when you switch back).

Doczu

If it requires a Club Nintendo account to be linked to a 3DS then no. If it just requires the slips to be registered then yes.

Apparently if you choose not to make/link an NNID then the eShop works like it does now...except you can't get demos. We'll have to wait for it to be released to see what will happen. Maybe it'll be possible to unlink and re-link NNIDs infinitely (like how if you switch countries now, the Club Nintendo link sometimes get broken but you can re-link it when you switch back).

Thanks! So for now i'm good. All of the promo's were pincode based, so no problem here (unless Nintendo thinks of another great thing to fuck up Polandballs life :( )

L~A

No, we need video game journalists to keep asking about it.

Since the VGX will, apparently, be broadcast live, it would be lovely if Geoff actually had the balls to ask Reggie why the hell Nintendo is persisting with region-locking their consoles. I'd stay up till 3AM just to watch that.

But of course, we all know this will never happen.

mrdark

Banned
ZMyoi7s.jpg

Top Bottom