• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back at PS3 and Xbox 360 exclusives!

But they can help attract gamers to your platform. Kinda like what Sony did with the PS3.

No exclusives still had a thing when the PS3 was out, that's why the 360 did so well, and why that even when it went off the few exclusives they did release were top of the line.

The PS3 needed those exclusives to make up for Third-party issues, and to make it hard not to buy one. Which it worked in most areas. But by the time the new consoles launched exclusives mean nothing.

I mean otu the gate for the first around 2 years the XO exclusive dwarfed what the PS4's did but that didn't do crap. I mean it seems they are still going in that direction but not sure how far it'll take them.

Trago

No exclusives still had a thing when the PS3 was out, that's why the 360 did so well, and why that even when it went off the few exclusives they did release were top of the line.

The PS3 needed those exclusives to make up for Third-party issues, and to make it hard not to buy one. Which it worked in most areas. But by the time the new consoles launched exclusives mean nothing.

Yeah, multiplats are king now.

RK128

Thats not how this works. Gears wasn't exclusive on the 360 we arent doing nitpicks.

But the games were exclusive for a period of time, making them valuable to consoles and helping sell the system to people. You are correct, with Gears getting a PC release later on, but still, it WAS a Xbox 360 Exclusive and many consider it such.

It is similar to Rise of the Tomb Raider if you want a good example; a game that is exclusive for a long period of time (one full year on consoles, a few months for PC owners) but later ported to other systems/PC to gather more sales.

This is your thread though, so go about things how you see fit.

HMD

I think MS played a big hand in almost killing the console JRPG genre last gen, paying for all those JRPG exclusives and driving the sales down because of the exclusivity in Japan and Europe where the PS3 could have easily doubled those sales numbers damaged the industry beyond repair. I just hope P5, FFXV and KH3 revive the genre.

I think MS played a big hand in almost killing the console JRPG genre last gen, paying for all those JRPG exclusives and driving the sales down because of the exclusivity in Japan and Europe where the PS3 could have easily doubled those sales numbers damaged the industry beyond repair. I just hope P5, FFXV and KH3 revive the genre.

The Jrpgs on the PS3 also did bad and were basically PS2 games for the first few years with small exceptions so I have no idea what this is.

Actually, that's exactly what you are doing. Nitpicking.

NO I'm not, the thread syas exlusives among these two consoles, no exclusive lsit I find in any similar thread across the net includes gears 1 for the same reason I'm not, because it's was not exclusive during the time frame of these two consoles.

The only exceptions are enhanced editions fur current gen consoles that were exclusive before than.

thelastword

Banned
I continually forget that Wet is a PS360 exclusive. I see it at a mate's place and think, "I should buy it on Steam!" only to later remind myself that a PC version doesn't exist.
Yeah, own it on PS3, but yes, Wet was a pretty decent tps in the vein of John Woo. Always thought that Wet, Blood on the Sand and Lollipop Chainsaw should have made the conversion to Steam.

Eusis

I've worried that how Microsoft handled shoving themselves into the market caused a lot of damage all over the place in general. The razor model was typical for consoles, but this extreme forced drastically higher development costs seemingly quicker than they could have handled and just threw a lot of developers and publishers into disarray when trying to stay competitive. But I'm not sure if that was inevitable (learning to handle multiple cores for instance) or not.

Probably just as much on Crazy Ken though. He wanted to pull a Yamauchi combined with his own engineer wet dreams in making something that was a pain to develop for that'd also likely have been ostracizing to those who couldn't keep up, and in the end it was just a pain for everyone without a convenient, reasonably high end alternative that was actually popular in Japan like the PS1 itself was relative to the N64.

yyr

What? Don't act as if PS3 didn't have plenty of JRPG exclusives. I'm pretty sure it was more than 360 over their lifetimes. Many are not on the list because they were released digitally.

But the real killer of the console JRPG genre was the shift to portable. Gamers--especially Japanese gamers--played a lot more JRPGs on DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita than they did on 360/PS3. Now many of them are on phones and tablets. Why do you think the new Dragon Quest games are made exclusively on mobile/portables now? 360 had nothing to do with this.

Damn, what happened to MS after 2010. Barely any exclusives :/

this sums it up pretty well
untitled-1m0zbq.gif

What? Don't act as if PS3 didn't have plenty of JRPG exclusives. Many are not on the list because they were released digitally.

But the real killer of the console JRPG genre was the shift to portable. Gamers--especially Japanese gamers--played a lot more JRPGs on DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita than they did on 360/PS3. Now many of them are on phones and tablets. Why do you think the new Dragon Quest games are made exclusively on mobile/portables now? 360 had nothing to do with this.
Well, Dragon Quest X was a Wii U game and Dragon Quest XI is coming out on PS4 and NX so...not sure that you are 100% right on that last bit. They are also popular on handhelds though, yes. Dragon Quest IX is the only mainline DQ game to be released only on a handheld

Eusis

What? Don't act as if PS3 didn't have plenty of JRPG exclusives. I'm pretty sure it was more than 360 over their lifetimes. Many are not on the list because they were released digitally.

It was probably a perfect storm more than any one cause. Consoles were prohibitively expensive to develop for, handhelds were an easy out popular in Japan and reasonably successfully internationally but then mobile took off and likely took the wind out of the sails for handhelds everywhere throwing things into disarray again, especially as a seemingly significant group of JRPG fans refused to give handhelds the time of day. It seems to be resulting in many of them migrating back to consoles but the damage has definitely been done. Hell, I wonder if we'll even see DQXI on 3DS here.

HMD

The Jrpgs on the PS3 also did bad and were basically PS2 games for the first few years with small exceptions so I have no idea what this is.

Exactly, the decent ones were courted by MS, and Square Enix just set itself on fire and laid in it throughout the gen.

I've worried that how Microsoft handled shoving themselves into the market caused a lot of damage all over the place in general. The razor model was typical for consoles, but this extreme forced drastically higher development costs seemingly quicker than they could have handled and just threw a lot of developers and publishers into disarray when trying to stay competitive. But I'm not sure if that was inevitable (learning to handle multiple cores for instance) or not.

Probably just as much on Crazy Ken though. He wanted to pull a Yamauchi combined with his own engineer wet dreams in making something that was a pain to develop for that'd also likely have been ostracizing to those who couldn't keep up, and in the end it was just a pain for everyone without a convenient, reasonably high end alternative that was actually popular in Japan like the PS1 itself was relative to the N64.

Japanese developers definitely struggled with the PS3, Sony's inaction and arrogance coupled with Microsoft's courting of JRPG's early gen collectively did a lot of damage.

You said it, "over their lifetimes" but I'm specifically talking about MS's early gen tactics and the damage it caused to AAA JRPGs to be specific.

Wow, you can really see that steady decline in 360 exclusives. By 2011, I have to admit I was really wishing I had a PS3 instead. Don't get me wrong, Gears 3 and Forza 4 were great, but it wasn't enough. And I had no interest in Kinect. I also got my gaming PC in 2011, so I stopped playing my 360 quite a bit after that.

Well, at least we got Forza Horizon in 2012. One of my favorite racers.

Games were ushered out.

i+see+what+u+did+there.jpeg

Papacheeks

Banned
Gears was never exclusive.

Yes it was. Jesus do you not know video games? DO you not know the partnership that Epic had with Microsoft in the OG xbox days?

I mean Jesus it's like you fucking know nothing about the games your listing. Microsoft studios logo shows up when the fucking game boots because they published it.

Damn those MS exclusives kept depleting over time, sucks that alot of the unique titles that were on xbox just ended up dying off or just moved to playstation.

Yes it was. Jesus do you not know video games? DO you not know the partnership that Epic had with Microsoft in the OG xbox days?

I mean Jesus it's like you fucking know nothing about the games your listing. Microsoft studios logo shows up when the fucking game boots because they published it.

Neither of these points inherently have to do with exclusivity. But yes, the game was exclusive to the 360 for a year, then came to PC.

Tales of Vesperia was also exclusive to 360 for a year, then came to PS3. It's also not on the list and really shouldn't be.

Mass Effect was exclusive to 360 for a few months, then came to PC. Also not on the list and shouldn't be.

Even if you don't agree with it, at least the OP is being consistent. Otherwise, you'd have to also count games like Shadowrun, Sly 4, and the Puppeteer.

Papacheeks

Banned
Neither of these points inherently have to do with exclusivity. But yes, the game was exclusive to the 360 for a year, then came to PC.

Tales of Vesperia was also exclusive to 360 for a year, then came to PS3. It's also not on the list and really shouldn't be.

Mass Effect was exclusive to 360 for a few months, then came to PC. Also not on the list and shouldn't be.

So if a game comes out using Microsot's own service for PC and isn't on PS3 it's not an exclusive to 360 still?

Or the exclusive unreal game they made for OG xbox?

He is either naive or has no fucking clue what he's talking about. Microsoft fucking published the Gears games before they bought them hence why exclusive. They also built the shitty games for windows live platform for the PC version. Which also has to do with exclusivity since you could only play it on pc using that service.

Gears is an exclusive, just because it caem out on pc doesn't not make it exclusive still to consoles. PC is not a console. ANd the platform that as used was Microsoft's for PC so there for still exclusive.

LycanXIII

If the list wasn't by year, there wouldn't be a problem leaving off games like Gears of War. But since you wanted to compare yearly exclusives, in 2006, Gears of War released EXCLUSIVELY on the Xbox 360. You can take it off the list in November 2007, but for that full year, it was exclusive.

360 had a ton of exclusives post 2010, just not ones we'd list on NeoGAF. Most of us wern't Microsoft's audience from that point on.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
2013 was ridiculous for Sony. The same year they launch the PS4??

The contrast between MS and Sony from 2011 is kinda telling with the way this gen is going.

That pic of the exclusives with core console vs Kinect and Move says it all, especially with this OP.

MS had more games out for Kinect than Sony had out for Move. Case in point:

Damn those MS exclusives kept depleting over time, sucks that alot of the unique titles that were on xbox just ended up dying off or just moved to playstation.

When those core console 360 games starting getting smaller, Kinect games grew.

this sums it up pretty well
untitled-1m0zbq.gif

Exactly.

It's really interesting to look at this and see how MS stopped giving as much of a shit once they were secure in the 360's success, while Sony kept pushing with the PS3 to make up the lost market share.

5taquitos

You're missing Tokyo Jungle, the greatest PS3 exclusive game of all time until the end of time forever.

Edit: My bad, didn't realize this was retail-only

Top Bottom