• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back at PS3 and Xbox 360 exclusives!

sense

i maybe going blind but valkyria chronicles is missing right. I know it came out on PC like last year but it was exclusive during that generation

papo

I really want Mystwalker back on making big games. I want Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey sequels. OR I want a new Sakaguchi RPG.

Pretty sure there was another Naruto title exclusive on the 360... I suppose you're not counting stuff that are exclusive in just one region like Tales of Vesperia.

Timu

You forgot to add Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for Xbox 360 Exclusives 2006. It's actually different from the other versions from story to missions to even viewpoint(3rd person shooter) and multiplayer.

KevinCow

Banned
Not a great generation for exclusives for me. 360 was mainly Banjo Nuts & Bolts (and Shadow Complex if we're counting downloadable games) and the PS3 was mainly Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and inFamous 1 and 2.

It's definitely my favorite generation of games, but most of my favorites were multiplatform.

Kysen

Lol 2010 was the year I left Xbox, I had no idea at the time that it was all down hill from there. At least I got Tenchu Z out of it, damn I loved that game.

joecanada

Lol 2010 was the year I left Xbox, I had no idea at the time that it was all down hill from there. At least I got Tenchu Z out of it, damn I loved that game.

my 360 collected dust for a year before I sold it but man it was overdue. couldn't wait to dump that sub at the time... I think borderlands 2 was the last game I played on 360.

Schryver

Personally I think the list should include Gears of War since no one knew it was even coming to PC until 6+ months later IIRC.

Anyways, I stopped playing my 360 after Halo Reach and looks like I didn't miss much. Going back and playing a lot of the PS3 exclusives for the first time these past 18 months has been great. So much good stuff

virtualS

Nice idea for a thread but I really think you should include digital and console exclusives (ignoring PC, Vita and Wii versions) under separate categories.

Kinect and Move exclusives would also paint a better picture. They are games after all.

daTRUballin

It's always kind of funny to me when people point to the early 360 years as Microsoft's golden era. Around the same timeframe, they had the RROD issue which angered many gamers. My older brother was a 360 owner during that time, and his 360 RROD'd on him three times. It really put him off the 360 for the rest of the generation, and he went and bought the PS3 instead and stuck with it. I remember he even used to say he would never buy an MS console ever again due to him losing trust in MS's hardware because of RROD.

The 360's golden years weren't exactly "golden". The fact that Xbox Live was locked behind a paywall and PSN wasn't didn't really help my brother's case either (I'm surprised nobody ever really complains about this). I realize the 360 was favored over the PS3 during the early years, but there surely had to have been others who were put off the console because of RROD, right? I'm curious if there's anybody else here who faced the same situation?

Nictel

You can really see the shift; 360 dominated the first years, PS3 the latter. Both had amazing games, Maybe some day I'll find the time to play them all.

Fisty

I love how those lists are basically inverse, 360 starting strong but after Kinect it tapers back alot. PS3 starts small but as the gen goes on the exclusives list is massive. Sony was really turning the PS3 around from 2009 on

Zukkoyaki

PS3 really took off in its third year, 2009. Infamous came out that year and became one of my most cherished games and memories. Man that game really understand what it meant to be FUN, great story as well.

Qwark

Neither of these points inherently have to do with exclusivity. But yes, the game was exclusive to the 360 for a year, then came to PC.

Tales of Vesperia was also exclusive to 360 for a year, then came to PS3. It's also not on the list and really shouldn't be.

Mass Effect was exclusive to 360 for a few months, then came to PC. Also not on the list and shouldn't be.

Even if you don't agree with it, at least the OP is being consistent. Otherwise, you'd have to also count games like Shadowrun, Sly 4, and the Puppeteer.

I don't get your examples. Sly 4 was released simultaneously on PS3/Vita, and Puppeteer was only ever on PS3, so neither one of those fit the pattern of first exclusive, and then later not. I don't know anything about Shadowrun, but from the context you provided I'm guessing it was on 360 first, and later appeared on PC.

Notice the decline of the 360 once J Allard and Peter Moore left.

Mattrick took over in 2007 or 2008 I believe?

edit: Mattrick became VP in 2007 and became president of the entire entertainment division in 2010 report only to Balmer.

You can see the steady decline of the xbox from him joining Microsoft in 2007 until leaving in 2013 lol.

There is a correlation, but is there causation?

You will never find a stronger end of first-party software support lineup for a console than the one Sony provided for the PlayStation 3 in 2013.

+ The Last of Us
+ Gran Turismo 6
+ Beyond: Two Souls (it was shit, but considering the star power of it, it was something at least)
+ God of War Ascension
+ Puppeteer
+ Rain (an underrated gem I think)

And a few others I'm missing, I'm sure. And not to mention, all within the year a brand-new next-generation PlayStation was launching (most of them came out before PS4, admittedly, with only Gran Turismo 6 dropping the week after PS4's EU release).

Like, is there any other lineup that comes close since

You will never find a stronger end of first-party software support lineup for a console than the one Sony provided for the PlayStation 3 in 2013.

+ The Last of Us
+ Gran Turismo 6
+ Beyond: Two Souls (it was shit, but considering the star power of it, it was something at least)
+ God of War Ascension
+ Puppeteer
+ Rain (an underrated gem I think)

And a few others I'm missing, I'm sure. And not to mention, all within the year a brand-new next-generation PlayStation was launching (most of them came out before PS4, admittedly, with only Gran Turismo 6 dropping the week after PS4's EU release).

Like, is there any other lineup that comes close since
I would think 2016 could surpass it.

Uncharted 4
Gran Turismo Sport
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Gravity Rush 2
The Last Guardian
Ratchet and Clank

Of course, this is assuming everything hits.

Edit - sorry for double.

They became the Halo/Gears/Forza factory. Such a shame considering how great the first few years of the 360 were.

This actually isn't true since they only did that for two years before Xone release. I have no idea how fanboys came up with that.

What actually happened is Kinect.

Although I had a PS3 and enjoyed it, the clear winner for me last gen was the Xbox 360 by far. Can't really say that this generation unfortunately.

It's always kind of funny to me when people point to the early 360 years as Microsoft's golden era. Around the same timeframe, they had the RROD issue which angered many gamers. My older brother was a 360 owner during that time, and his 360 RROD'd on him three times. It really put him off the 360 for the rest of the generation, and he went and bought the PS3 instead and stuck with it. I remember he even used to say he would never buy an MS console ever again due to him losing trust in MS's hardware because of RROD.

The 360's golden years weren't exactly "golden". The fact that Xbox Live was locked behind a paywall and PSN wasn't didn't really help my brother's case either (I'm surprised nobody ever really complains about this). I realize the 360 was favored over the PS3 during the early years, but there surely had to have been others who were put off the console because of RROD, right? I'm curious if there's anybody else here who faced the same situation?

Your brother is an exception.

By end of 2006 trod was a smaller thing gone mostly by 2007 unless you got earlier models of the arcade model.

PSN was bad and many were flat to pay for live.

Also people were saying PS3 had no games.

cj_iwakura

Still a few 360 exclusives I need to hunt down, namely Bullet Witch, Project Sylpheed, and Guilty Gear 2... I do have the more crucial ones, though(the shmups, Operation Darkness, Ace Combat 6, Tales of Vesperia).

Every PS3 owner needs to find Folklore. Been planning a thread for it, no less.

Timu

Dang, I guess the OP missed my post on GRAW being pretty much 360 exclusive since it's different from the other versions.

I'd really like to see a list of Ps3 and 360 exclusive games that don't have pc versions currently.

Games like

The Simpsons game
El shaddai
Splatterhouse
Bodycount
Red dead redemption
Ghost recon advanced warfighter
Battlefield bad company 1
Bayonetta
Vanquish

Timu

Still a few 360 exclusives I need to hunt down, namely Bullet Witch, Project Sylpheed, and Guilty Gear 2... I do have the more crucial ones, though(the shmups, Operation Darkness, Ace Combat 6, Tales of Vesperia).

Every PS3 owner needs to find Folklore. Been planning a thread for it, no less.
Bullet Witch has god awful performance on 360, in fact I'll say it's one of the worst performing games on the system, sometimes going under 10 FPS at times. It's ok though, at best.

cj_iwakura

Bullet Witch has god awful performance on 360, in fact I'll say it's one of the worst performing games on the system, sometimes going under 10 FPS at times. It's ok though, at best.

Cavia + jank + witch protagonist. I have to try it.

Voliko

You missed Otomedius Excellent on 360. Pretty meh shmup compared to Konami's glory days but the soundtrack is god-tier, even though 95% of it is locked behind DLC paywalls.

edit- nvm you just spelled it wrong. Still, a top 5 soundtrack from last gen for me.

jdstorm

Banned
Man Sony really did such a good Job with the PS3 starting in 2009. And look at what that momentum did for the Launch of the PS4.

Shame that everyone is spluttering right now. This year has to be the least exciting new hardware year ever

cj_iwakura

You missed Otomedius Excellent on 360. Pretty meh shmup compared to Konami's glory days but the soundtrack is god-tier, even though 95% of it is locked behind DLC paywalls.

edit- nvm you just spelled it wrong

I got rid of that game almost instantly after beating the first level.

It's already there.

Maybe I should bold the games? I'm not sure how to make the lists easier to read. Maybe I should do box arts, May take awhile though.

Top Bottom