• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look back at PS3 and Xbox 360 exclusives!

jdstorm

Banned
You will never find a stronger end of first-party software support lineup for a console than the one Sony provided for the PlayStation 3 in 2013.

+ The Last of Us
+ Gran Turismo 6
+ Beyond: Two Souls (it was shit, but considering the star power of it, it was something at least)
+ God of War Ascension
+ Puppeteer
+ Rain (an underrated gem I think)

And a few others I'm missing, I'm sure. And not to mention, all within the year a brand-new next-generation PlayStation was launching (most of them came out before PS4, admittedly, with only Gran Turismo 6 dropping the week after PS4's EU release).

Like, is there any other lineup that comes close since

No Joke. Rain is the reason I bought a PS3. It just looked so different to anything in the console space at the time. But can we please stop pretending Puppeteer is good. It isn't. Plus Sony origionally wanted the PS3 to last 10 years so it makes sense that Year 6 would be stacked.

No Joke. Rain is the reason I bought a PS3. It just looked so different to anything in the console space at the time. But can we please stop pretending Puppeteer is good. It isn't. Plus Sony origionally wanted the PS3 to last 10 years so it makes sense that Year 6 would be stacked.
Hey!

I enjoyed Puppeteer. I think it was a solid title overall.

Thank you for the thread!

I don't think of Sony outside of being a hardware maker but they brought some great exclusives to their platform.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Noy really, Kinect was bog, Sony would have done the same. No one was expecting Kinect to crash so hard after 3 years of domination.

I think thats the point tho with that post saying they made the wrong choice.

IMO the better choice was Sony not going all in on Move and having Move like games be a plan B if Move was a hit with the way they designed the DS4. The way they designed the DS4 gave them flexibility in case Move was a hit or miss. And with upcoming VR.....flexibility. The DS4 being a cross between a Vita and Move is smart. Move/Vita like options, or just traditional controller. All in 1 without the Move, Vita like options being a focal point..

Microsoft IMO shouldnt have went all in on Kinect. And TV TV TV didnt help either. Like Nintendo shouldnt have made the gamepad so integral to the Wii U. I do give MS props tho for ditching Kinect so fast.

Hindsight n all but still.

I think thats the point tho with that post saying they made the wrong choice.

IMO the better choice was Sony not going all in on Move and having Move like games be a plan B if Move was a hit with the way they designed the DS4. The way they designed the DS4 gave them flexibility in case Move was a hit or miss. And with upcoming VR.....flexibility. The DS4 being a cross between a Vita and Move is smart. Move/Vita like options, or just traditional controller. All in 1 without the Move, Vita like options being a focal point..

Microsoft IMO shouldnt have went all in on Kinect. And TV TV TV didnt help either. Like Nintendo shouldnt have made the gamepad so integral to the Wii U. I do give MS props tho for ditching Kinect so fast.

Hindsight n all but still.

Tvtvtv wasn't a thing they wanted to save games at E3, of all the fuss gamers had made that one was the most pathetic and nonsensical.

As for Sony, the only reason they didn't shift is because move crashed earlier. They were almost all in Move but sales were slowing a bit later a they tried a combination of move games, and move features in regular games. They then tried one last time with Wonderbook.

Jigorath

Banned
I have no idea how fanboys came up with that.

Well let me look at your OP.

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2011:

Gears of War 3
Forza Motorsport 4
Otemedus Excellent
HALO CE Anniversary

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2012:

Halo 4
Forza Horizon
Akai Katana

Xbox 360 Exclusives 2013:

Gears of War Judgement

3 whole years and I count two games from your list that didn't belong to Halo/Gears/Forza. The only exceptions are two very niche Japanese games not even by Microsoft. But yeah, it's quite a mystery.

Well let me look at your OP.

3 whole years and I count two games from your list that didn't belong to Halo/Gears/Forza. The only exceptions are two very niche Japanese games not even by Microsoft. But yeah, it's quite a mystery.

You have one year of Halo, one tear of forza/gears, and a new console launch in 2013.

Again what?

Nosgotham

Your brother is an exception.

By end of 2006 trod was a smaller thing gone mostly by 2007 unless you got earlier models of the arcade model.

PSN was bad and many were flat to pay for live.

Also people were saying PS3 had no games.

well even besides RROD there were e64 and e78. i know its antecdotal but every person i know who had a launch 360 had to have it replaced within the first 3 years.(its a lot of people, several of which needed numerous replacements) it was an issue and it caused them to lose a ton of money. but... yeah psn was total crap at that time so we all put up with 360 issues to be honest. it wasnt until ps3 offered in game access to the XMB that we started to trickle over to ps3 more

You said it, "over their lifetimes" but I'm specifically talking about MS's early gen tactics and the damage it caused to AAA JRPGs to be specific.

This is insanity. AAA JRPGs are where they are because their mainstream appeal is long gone. Sociological factors have made consoles irrelevant in Japan, and shrinking western interest in Japanese culture (including Japanese game design) means there isn't enough of an audience to support big budget ventures. Japanese companies (not only JRPG studios) have had huge problems scaling with the rest of the industry. This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Nothing short of further westernization is going to keep Final Fantasy going on its current path. I think Square Enix knows this, which is why XV is what it is (action combat, more open world type environment, car driving, less emphasis on "anime-esque" character designs, and so on).

Great in depth list OP, and these were only straight exclusives. As someone that was at peak gaming from 2005-2011 I was lucky enough to get to most of these games. Great times. I definitely got more use out of my 360 though, especially early on. However all my friends owned 360s as well so that was always my go to for multiplats as well.

well even besides RROD there were e64 and e78. i know its antecdotal but every person i know who had a launch 360 had to have it replaced within the first 3 years.(its a lot of people, several of which needed numerous replacements) it was an issue and it caused them to lose a ton of money. but... yeah psn was total crap at that time so we all put up with 360 issues to be honest. it wasnt until ps3 offered in game access to the XMB that we started to trickle over to ps3 more

PS3 had issues to.

Again as I said, the majority didn't like what the PS3 had at first.

This is insanity. AAA JRPGs are where they are because their mainstream appeal is long gone. Sociological factors have made consoles irrelevant in Japan, and shrinking western interest in Japanese culture (including Japanese game design) means there isn't enough of an audience to support big budget ventures. Japanese companies (not only JRPG studios) have had huge problems scaling with the rest of the industry. This has nothing to do with Microsoft.

Nothing short of further westernization is going to keep Final Fantasy going on its current path. I think Square Enix knows this, which is why XV is what it is (action combat, more open world type environment, car driving, less emphasis on "anime-esque" character designs, and so on).

Also Jrpgs were never really that big in the first place, this is some delusion created by FinalFantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Games like:

Arc the lad
Asure Dreams
BoF IV
Deception
Most Digimon Worlds
Brave Fencer
Persona 1 and 2, and 3, and 4
Front Mission
Jade CoCoon
Ever Grace
Forever Kingdom
Shining Force games
Lunar
Parasite Eve series
Saga frontier series
Vandal Hearts
Wild Arms
Front Mission Games
Grandia
Skies of Arcadia
Baiton Kaitos
Rogue Galaxy
Mana series
Shadow Hearts
Suikodens series
Xenosaga series
Summonnight
YS series

Theres are just some of the many examples of how Jrpgs were never really that popular.

When Jrpgs "Exploded" It was mostly Square by themselves with ENIX kind of occasionally making hits and some random 1-2 outsiders getting a good break.

This continued into the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube time when it again, was mostly Square, then later Square Enix, with an occasional Tales of Symphonia surprise coming out of nowhere.

There's a reason why Wrpgs took over as quickly as they did. I bet Oblivion and Fable 1 vanilla alone on the XBOX by itself were more popular and outsold around half or more than half of the games listed above.

Qwark

Man, I hate condescending posts like this. Especially when you (seemingly) like Rain? That is definitely the more polarizing game.

game just straight up doesn't exist any more. really should have bought a copy.

Gonna be honest, I legit didn't know Afrika was ever released in NA. I remember it being hyped up early, and then it was released in Asia, but I thought the western release was completely dropped for some reason, never understood why. I guess Sony just didn't want to publish it themselves.

Also Jrpgs were never really that big in the first place, this is some delusion created by FinalFantasy and Kingdom Hearts.

Games like:

Deception

Is Deception really a JRPG? I know wikipedia says it is, but I've played it and I always thought it was a strategy/simulation game. It's very light on role playing elements.

cj_iwakura

Is Deception really a JRPG? I know wikipedia says it is, but I've played it and I always thought it was a strategy/simulation game. It's very light on role playing elements.

Not even remotely. Well, it's Japanese, a Game, and you Play a Role, that's about it.

I love Deception dearly, but the only one that maybe comes close is Deception 1, since you level up and have an HP stat and everything.

Top Bottom