• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Atlus' games on 3DS

OuterLimits

Coolio, thanks, I'll probably end up picking up IV then (it's cheaper for the moment). But, if I really get into it, I'll end up grabbing both I'm sure.

Enjoy. Also, if you like dungeon crawlers I would recommend checking out Unchained Blades. It is a difficult game at times though. Not as good as Etrian Odyssey, but I had fun with it.

KarmaCow

I know Mauricio_Magus is going to hate me for saying this, but I feel they've made too many EO games on 3DS. I'm fine with Untold 3 coming out, but I just think after that, they need to give the series a rest on 3DS, HOWEVER, I REALLY hope EOV is a Wii U game, the one other system that makes perfect sense for the series as the GamePad is born for the map-making gameplay.

As much as I think EO is held back by the resolution and general low graphical fidelity by being on a handheld, being tied to a TV would be even worse. Despite devouring the games in long sessions, I probably would have never bothered with it if it didn't have sleep mode and the freedom to play anywhere I want.

Not to mention making new assets, moving series to the anemic Wii U install base after building the fanbase on the DS and 3DS is crazy. The series already doesn't break 50k per title AFAIK. Atlus too is busy milking all they can from the diehards they have that are willing to buy more than 2 EO games a year.

Cider

I love the fact that Atlus is probably the sole company with actual decent eshop sales, but I'd be lying if I said i'd buy Devil Survivor and Attack on Titan day 1. I'm a broke college kid with no time to play games, might as well just wait until they're $14.99 or something

Also, what's up with Sting? They made numerous DS games with Atlus and then split and worked with Idea Factory on Generation of Chaos 6 for PSP... then fell off the face of the Earth. I was really hoping we'd see some 3DS games from Sting with Atlus, don't Atlus own the Yggdra IPs and whatnot?

Still working with Idea Factory as far as I can see. They developed the Neptunia SRPG for Vita and they've worked on two Date-a-Live games for PS3 (and presumably the upcoming Vita ports).

Two I'm also hoping they'll pick up are Kenka Bancho 6 (2 games already from Spike Chunsoft are a wonderful sign), and Legend of Legacy (Lost Dimension virtually confirms it IMO).

I'd love to see Kenka Bancho 6 come west too, but given that it was Atlus that gave the series a try last time and it under-performed for them, I'm not sure how much they'd be willing to take another gamble on it. Different platform this time of course, but still.

Legend of Legacy I could definitely see happening though, presuming everything goes smoothly between them & FuRyu regarding Lost Dimension.

You mean Spike. :p Sting is a different developer. They made games like Dokapon Kingdom, Evolution, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, etc.

Spike made games like Fire Pro Wrestling, Kenka Bancho, Conception, the Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi and Raging Blast series, etc. Spike is the one who merged with Chunsoft.

Ah hell. It happened again. It's Monolith/Monolithsoft all over again.

Glass Rebel

Besides Nintendo themselves they're basically the reason that's making me stay with the 3DS, despite me being Yuropean (thanks NISA). I own following games:

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Etrian Odyssey IV
SMT: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
Shin Megami Tensei IV

I still plan on buying at least Persona Q, maybe EO Untold and of course Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker if they manage to release it in a timely fashion.

As happy as I am with their output though, I wish they'd make some new and experimental stuff again. The Trauma Center games and Radiant Historia mark some of my favourite experiences from last gen.

Volcynika

Ah, my apologies. Not sure why I confused it with Atlus.
Disgaea suuuuuuuucks

Atlus USA published the first one on PS2, but that was before NISA as a company existed.

Besides Nintendo themselves they're basically the reason that's making me stay with the 3DS, despite me being Yuropean (thanks NISA). I own following games:

SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Etrian Odyssey IV
SMT: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
Shin Megami Tensei IV

I still plan on buying at least Persona Q, maybe EO Untold and of course Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker if they manage to release it in a timely fashion.

As happy as I am with their output though, I wish they'd make some new and experimental stuff again. The Trauma Center games and Radiant Historia mark some of my favourite experiences from last gen.

Trauma Center would have lived if more people bought it.

(._. )

jblank83

Atlus will have it on sale before you know it, that's the odd thing about them, they have sales arguably more than most publishers. :p

It's $50 now, but it might be on sale for $25 soon enough, depending on how long it takes their games after release to be part of their sales.

I'll likely pick it up then. :)

Completely true. Atlus is good (from a consumer's perspective) with sales.

I would have purchased it day 1 if I didn't have other things on my plate. As is, I'll just wait.

Trauma Center would have lived if more people bought it.

(._. )

*a moment of silence*

I love the fact that Atlus is probably the sole company with actual decent eshop sales, but I'd be lying if I said i'd buy Devil Survivor and Attack on Titan day 1. I'm a broke college kid with no time to play games, might as well just wait until they're $14.99 or something
Capcom has done pretty good sales with Ace Attorney and there have been some good indie sales as well. And I bought Super Metroid for fucking $0.30.

But yeah, Atlus sales are pretty balling.

After a few months, I decided to add a couple of games since we have newcomers... sort of. :p Stella Glow has a box and a possible date as well as Legend of Legacy!

I feel that Code of Princess is an underrated game. Its very fun with a lot of detail going into the combat system, graphics, and localizaiton

Velcro Fly

I own most of their games. Was even thinking about picking up the ones I don't own on the cheap to say I have them all.

Still miffed I didn't get the outer box and CD with Soul Hackers though. Like New from Amazon Warehouse Deals and yeah.

Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey Untold are the 3DS games by them I enjoy the most.

EOIV, SMTIV, SMT:DS, Code of Princess, and Persona Q (not enjoying this one really surprised me) all really rubbed me the wrong way for one reason or another. It has less to do with their quality as games and more my picky nature and limited time to spend playing.

Excited for Legend of Legacy (terrible name) and Stellaglow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
About half of those titles (basically anything SMT or EO) related are interesting to me, so they're good in my book. I've been meaning to buy EO4 and SMTIV for way to long now, but I keep getting sucked into similarish games in my backlog

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
There was a time in my life when I was good for picking up pretty much any game Atlus or NIS put out in the States, but both of those companies have completely lost me. NIS because they pretty much only release weeb fanservice games and Atlus because they release the same 3 games over and over again.

I bought a 3DS like the month they announced Pokemon X/Y and have used it to play a grand total of maybe 10 or 15 hours of that game (absolutely hate it) and literally nothing else. I feel like a total idiot for having bought it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
There was a time in my life when I was good for picking up pretty much any game Atlus or NIS put out in the States, but both of those companies have completely lost me. NIS because they pretty much only release weeb fanservice games and Atlus because they release the same 3 games over and over again.

I bought a 3DS like the month they announced Pokemon X/Y and have used it to play a grand total of maybe 10 or 15 hours of that game (absolutely hate it) and literally nothing else. I feel like a total idiot for having bought it.

That's a big part of why I wait so long between entries. I love the EO franchise (well...maybe a bit less after some info on the upcoming game) but EO3 filled that need in my life for a very long time and I'm only now starting to feel l like I need a new one.

Hatchtag

Banned
With how much Atlus has been supporting the 3DS, I honestly think Persona 5's portable version could come to the 3DS's successor, assuming the Vita isn't still getting games then and Sony doesn't make another portable.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Atlus's lineup was more diverse because there were far more weird third-party devs releasing DS games for them to bring over, but those days are all but over (and the small devs that are still around are almost all working on NIS/Compile Heart-esque garbage).

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
That's a big part of why I wait so long between entries. I love the EO franchise (well...maybe a bit less after some info on the upcoming game) but EO3 filled that need in my life for a very long time and I'm only now starting to feel l like I need a new one.

I played the first EO game a lot. I really loved it and I loved that that style of game was coming back... Tho I never finished it. I sunk maybe 30 hours into it and also a few dozen hours into The Dark Spire, another first person dungeon crawler that I really liked, and I was pretty much done with the genre. Haven't played any EO since then. No desire to.

That is one area Atlus really need to fix, all they ever make on their own on 3DS are EO games these days (DS2BR was vaporware for ages, think it was supposed to be out in 2013 or something).

The variety comes from what others make that they localize, that's wonderful, but Atlus are capable of so much more.

I've thought about another Persona they could attempt on 3DS (Persona Q did REALLY well), personally another P4 game (it is still the fan fav after all) in the style of SMTIV. Another suggested a Devil Survivor-style one, hmm, maybe? :p But SMTIV, but actually with the battles of Persona Q, could be a treat, also making sure they aren't chibi this time, since they claimed that choice was also down to it being a "crossover" with EO to match the style.

What about that trademark they had? Devilizer was it? That sounded like a shoe-in for 3DS if that ever showed up. I also thought that game they made for DS near the end should've gotten a Devil Survivor-style port to 3DS:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nora_to_Toki_no_Kōbō:_Kiri_no_Mori_no_Majo

As I said, they just need to do more than just EO over and over again, at least on 3DS. I'm still hoping that EO5 is actually a Wii U game, one of the games that would be a match made in heaven on Wii U with the GamePad. But alas, it's surely not happening. :(

Honestly it's shocking they'd been so silent about it, they announced it at the same time as Etrian Mystery Dungeon, that came out, but no word of EO5 for some reason.

No, I want MORE EO games. MOOOORE

Inject it into my veins, Atlus

Atlus is definitely a large reason why I enjoy my 3DS so much. I'd say about 35% of my retail purchases have been Atlus games, the other 35% Nintendo published, and the rest is a mix of the others.

They're the biggest supporters of the 3DS, aside from Nintendo themselves, so I've made it a point to get (eventually) all Atlus games. Super excited for Legend of Legacy as it looks like more my jam than Bravely Default did (they share similar art styles which is why I compare them).

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I feel that Code of Princess is an underrated game. Its very fun with a lot of detail going into the combat system, graphics, and localizaiton

Eh...I tried to like it, but it just didn't work out. It runs like dogshit, the bite-sized stages hurt the game big time, and the combat system impressed me at first but ultimately wasn't enough to excuse everything else.

Glad this thread got bumped,couple of things to speculate about;

-Atlus is probably bringing the Langrisser:RE to 3ds this year as well(from Harkin's podcast where he says they are bringing a game which hasn't released yet Langrisser is the title that fits the best,considering the stuff Atlus brings)if they manage to release it before FEF i think the game could do well for them(if it's any good)

-By all means Maniax team should be working on the next SMT spinoff(from CEO's comments last year to Famitsu),so when do you guys think it will be revealed?I think(hope) it will be a Strange Journey 2 or a remake of the SJ,all those Demonica assets on IV should be put to a good use,i love SJ so much i never wore anything else throught the entire game other than the Demonica(and got punished so much due to it,still worth it)

If it isn't SJ what do you guys think/hope it will be?

cj_iwakura

Glad this thread got bumped,couple of things to speculate about;

-Atlus is probably bringing the Langrisser:RE to 3ds this year as well(from Harkin's podcast where he says they are bringing a game which hasn't released yet Langrisser is the title that fits the best,considering the stuff Atlus brings)if they manage to release it before FEF i think the game could do well for them(if it's any good)

-By all means Maniax team should be working on the next SMT spinoff(from CEO's comments last year to Famitsu),so when do you guys think it will be revealed?I think(hope) it will be a Strange Journey 2 or a remake of the SJ,all those Demonica assets on IV should be put to a good use,i love SJ so much i never wore anything else throught the entire game other than the Demonica(and got punished so much due to it,still worth it)

If it isn't SJ what do you guys think/hope it will be?

I will be really, really sad if that POS cash-in is the first localized Langrisser(not counting Warsong).

I wish they'd port IV and SJ or update them somehow. They're great games held back by crappy hardware(though they did the best they could).

IV was a miracle, all things considered. For me, SH was the best. IV was a great product, but SH is still the better game. IV really goes nowhere in the endgame. SH is great from start to finish.

I will be really, really sad if that POS cash-in is the first localized Langrisser(not counting Warsong).

I wish they'd port IV and SJ or update them somehow. They're great games held back by crappy hardware(though they did the best they could).

IV was a miracle, all things considered. For me, SH was the best. IV was a great product, but SH is still the better game. IV really goes nowhere in the endgame. SH is great from start to finish.

Yeah Langrisser looks like a cheap Awakening knock off but i still have some hope that it might turn out okay,we'll see.

I've bought SH 2 months ago but haven't played it yet,judging from your comment i'm in for a treat =)

Also what are the chances that Kaneko makes his return with the next SMT spinoff?
I hope his recent absence only meant that SJ was his passion project and decided to take some time off after that,nothing permanent.The time is right for his return.

cj_iwakura

Yeah Langrisser looks like a cheap Awakening knock off but i still have some hope that it might turn out okay,we'll see.

I've bought SH 2 months ago but haven't played it yet,judging from your comment i'm in for a treat =)

Also what are the chances that Kaneko makes his return with the next SMT spinoff?
I hope his recent absence only meant that SJ was his passion project and decided to take some time off after that,nothing permanent.The time is right for his return.

I honestly think Kaneko's all but retired. He's about letting the next generation take over, and Atlus has a lot of talent on deck.

None of them have his style, though. Only Soejima and Doi come close, but they still have no replacement for demons.

Forkball

Their output is almost unparalleled when it comes to third part 3DS support, but I'd like more SRPGs and RPGs. Let's give dungeon crawlers a break. Where is Disgaea?

[edit] Just remembered Nippon Ichi makes Disgaea, not Atlus. Still... I want 3DS Disgaea.

Eila

I'm not interested in anything in OP except Code of Princess. That must be a record.
I guess I need to get into the SMT series.

Top Bottom