• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Atlus' games on 3DS

I guess you can call this the 3rd in my "look over" series that consisted of Nintendo's relationship with Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco. This time, I'll move the focus away from Nintendo themselves and just focus on what I consider to be the strongest 3rd-party supporter of the 3DS in sheer volume and quality to back it up.

Note that at the moment I'm focusing on NA dates.

Let us begin! (click on all boxes for a bigger pic)

The first in the line-up. This was a port of a DS game, and actually came out rather early on August 24th 2011 in NA. It featured new content, redrawn art and expanded the viewpoint... on the bottom screen. They decided to leave the top screen for viewing monster art and whatnot while the game takes place on the bottom screen. No prob I guess if it was necessary, just an odd choice to neglect the 3D. :p

Next was the localization of a Mahjong game by Sunsoft. Really odd choice of name even if I get the joke. :p I never see this anymore, was it good? It came out on Oct 11th 2011 and is their last that year in the west.

Next after a whole year later on Oct 9th 2012 is their next localization of a game by Agatsuma, and was IIRC created by a team of ex-Treasure folks behind Gunstar Heroes.

Finally comes Atlus' first ground-up, original title for the system. Coming out on Feb 25th 2013 in NA. It's the same gameplay fans of the series love. :)

Now comes the first SMT title on 3DS which is a remake of the original Soul Hackers from Saturn and PS1, AND it's the first version in NA! This came out on April 15th 2013 in NA.

And right after that on July 16th 2013 comes what many might consider not only Atlus' biggest 3DS game to date but also one of the highest profile on the system, Shin Megami Tensei IV! This features a 3D overworld but the battles are back to a more classical 2D-style, unlike the 3D fights from Nocturne. It also doesn't feature the original character designer Kazuma Kaneko, instead they brought in Masayuki Doi who actually already worked on Persona 3.

Next on Sept 30th 2013 comes the second and certainly not the last Etrian Odyssey game for the system, and the first remake in the series being a remake of the first from the DS! This features a story mode but also features a classic mode for vets who want the traditional style. :)

After a year and a half after on April 16th 2014 Code of Princess comes Atlus' next external localization. Conception 2 is by Spike Chunsoft, and is also the first (and so far only) multiplat localization by Atlus on 3DS, as it's also on the Vita.

Now comes what others might consider to be a contender for biggest (depends on your views as this is a spin-off rather than mainline like SMTIV) on Nov 24th 2014 is Persona Q, the first in the series history to be on a Nintendo system, and it IS canon IIRC. This blends Persona with Etrian Odyssey to give fans a more dungeon-crawler experience in the Persona series, plus there's no dating sim elements IIRC.

Out tomorrow! This is an out of the left field crossover between Etrian Odyssey and Spike Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon/Shiren the Wanderer series.

Well finally after nearly 4 years after the first one's remake in NA, the sequel finally arrives on 3DS in NA on May 5th 2015.

logo.png

After being rated by the Australian rating system awhile back, Atlus finally announced they were localizing the game and the game came out on May 12th 2015. Oddly though, this is available ONLY on the eShop, a first for Atlus in NA on 3DS. (Conception 2 was eShop-exclusive in EU also) The first two episodes are were out on the eShop (on both 3DS and Wii U? Not sure.) for free until June 30th (removed or just getting a price, again not sure.)!

Here's yet another Etrian Odyssey game, this time being a remake of EO2 on DS. Again it comes with a new story mode and a classic mode. It's due on Aug 4th 2015.

Here is another localization of an outside game, published by FuRyu and developed by a team consisting of ex-Square folks who worked on the SaGa series! This is listed for Oct 13th 2015 in NA.

As mentioned months ago (still viewable below) this is Imageepoch's final game, and the first Sega game to be localized by Atlus since being bought by them, this is listed for Nov 17th 2015 in NA.

So what's next on the roadmap? Well I think it's safe to say this is it for this year, in fact I think Atlus already said as such. :p

The only game I think has a really good shot of being localized, and with an immediate predecessor being, well, a precedent, that would be the newly announced 7th Dragon-III!

Hopefully this is the one to make it over, as all three prior entries (7th DRagon on DS, and 7th Dragon 2020 and 2020-II on PSP) didn't.

--

Original conclusion: Finally we so far have one other game coming out this year from Atlus on 3DS in NA, and that's...

Due out this year in NA, this is what looks to be the last game by Imageepoch and was to celebrate their 10th anniversary. The game was sold to Sega after it was completed in November. Appropriately Sega also owns Atlus and Atlus also brought over IE's Luminous Arc 1 and 2 to NA on DS.

For the those in EU? Yeah Atlus haven't been the most "giving" to folks there. Atlus shrugged indeed. :( A lot of times NISA take on their games in EU but sometimes Atlus bring their stuff there themselves, and then they're digital-only like SMTIV, which took forever to make it to EU. :(

So yeah, there you have it! What do you guys think of Atlus' showing on 3DS thus far?

So yeah, there you have it! What do you guys think of Atlus' showing on 3DS thus far?

Atlus is the main reason I love the 3DS so much, I own everything that was developed by them, I'm dying to get my copy of Etrian Mystery Dungeon on tuesday and Untold 2 later this year.

Hopefully we gets news about Etrian Odyssey 5 and Untold 3(pleaseee) soon.

My favorite Atlus games on the system are EO4(obviously) and SMT4.

Stella Glow will be the first Atlus title I will buy for this generation. As someone who was a big fan of the Luminous Arc and Trauma Center titles from Atlus, there really isn't much for me from them anymore. Still very shocked and excited for Stella Glow. I also miss their random one off titles like Knights in the Nightmare, but what can you do.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
I'm so confused by the Shin Megami Tensei games. I just... wat.

Do they all for together or something? Last time I overlooked a series totally it was Castlevania and I kicked myself for not getting in on the action earlier.

Where do I start? How about IV on 3ds?

Hikami

Atlus games make up the majority of my 3DS library, they're all great.
--and wow, must've missed that Stella Glow is this year. That's 4 Atlus 3DS games I'm buying this year so far then.

Stella Glow will be the first Atlus title I will buy for this generation. As someone who was a big fan of the Luminous Arc and Trauma Center titles from Atlus, there really isn't much for me from them anymore. Still very shocked and excited for Stella Glow. I also miss there random one off titles like Knights in the Nightmare, but what can you do.

Stella Glow and Knights in the Nightmare are not developed by Atlus, so maybe Atlus games just don't appeal to you.

We need a new Trauma Center FFFFF

Do they all for together or something? Last time I overlooked a series totally it was Castlevania and I kicked myself for not getting in on the action earlier.

Just get SMTIV or Nocturne for PS2.

Their support of 3DS has been absolutely stellar (glow) in my opinion. It's definitely part of the reason I'll be getting one.

The only problem for me is that they don't publish in Europe. Have to rely on NISA/Ghostlight picking up the games I want for distribution over here.

Wish they'd supported Vita half as well, though they have been getting a lot better recently (Lost Dimension was a big surprise for me).

Stella Glow and Knights in the Nightmare are not developed by Atlus, so maybe Atlus games just don't appeal to you.

We need a new Trauma Center FFFFF

well yeah , but ya know what I meant. :v

I blame myself for Trauma Center dying, it's because I didn't get Trauma Team day one.

Atlus games are why I still find myself booting up my 3DS despite finding the hardware uncomfortable to use. Library's pretty amazing.

jwhit28

The actual numbered games have little to do with each other similar to numbered Final Fantasy games. The series has a bunch of spinoffs. Devil Summoner (1st person dungeon crawler), Devil Survivor (strategy RPG), Persona (Persona Q is a mash up of the Persona and Etrian Odyssey series) are the ones that appear on 3DS.

SMT IV is a great starting place. It is the easiest of the 4 mainline games.

Lagamorph

The Devil Survivor 2 remake better not take as long to come out in the UK as the first one did.

Damned region locking...

Even though I am really bad Etrian Odyssey and I will eventually one day get good at dungeon crawlers and play all of them, I appreciate them for still localizing those.

I think Soul Hackers was the best thing value wise they put on the 3DS. That one Saturn game that manged to get localized due to a 3DS remake, that they didn't really even have to remake.

I have had it since day 1 on the 3Ds in NA but I still haven't finished it lol. I need to.

RM8

I liked Code of Princess, it's pretty decent IMO. I can't say I loved Soul Hackers, and it might have been a bad introduction to SMT, I fear... I still don't know if I would enjoy SMTIV. I have Devil Survivor Overclocked sitting unopened in my collection :x I need to play it soon, in theory I would like it since I really love SRPGs - for that reason I can't wait for Stella Glow. And for Etrian Mystesry Dungeon! I don't enjoy Etrian Odyssey, but I love Mystery Dungeon games.

Also, I played the Conception demo and it made me cringe.

Ashkeloth

Despite considering myself somewhat of a fan of Atlus, I'm just now realising that I only own SMTIV out of all of those games.

I tried Etrian Odyssey IV a while back and it seemed annoyingly difficult and not really as though struggling through it would be worth the payoff, so I wrote off the first-person dungeon crawling genre as a whole after also not enjoy Legend of Grimrock on the PC a while back. This decision seemingly ruled out buying 70% or so of their output on the 3DS for whatever reasons.

I remember being interested in Code of Princess for a while as a huge fan of Guardian Heroes, but I only heard mixed impressions. Being European didn't help either as I'd largely forgotten about the game by the time we got it some half-a-year later.

Shaanyboi

Banned

SMT is just a big generic banner, and there's a ton of sub-series within that. The only thing they share is that they all have really weird demons and demon fusing mechanics.

They all kinda offer different things though. SMT proper is kind of its own fantasy thing, Persona is more focused on a real-world Japanese high school setting, Devil Survivor is a turn based strategy, etc.

Go with whatever sounds more interesting.

Despite considering myself somewhat of a fan of Atlus, I'm just now realising that I only own SMTIV out of all of those games.

I tried Etrian Odyssey IV a while back and it seemed annoyingly difficult and not really as though struggling through it would be worth the payoff, so I wrote off the first-person dungeon crawling genre as a whole after also not enjoy Legend of Grimrock on the PC a while back. This decision seemingly ruled out buying 70% or so of their output on the 3DS for whatever reasons.

I remember being interested in Code of Princess for a while as a huge fan of Guardian Heroes, but I only heard mixed impressions. Being European didn't help either as I'd largely forgotten about the game by the time we got it some half-a-year later.

EO4 is an easy game, how far did you get in the game? and please don't judge the whole genre over LoG(I love LoG2 but the first one is lacking).

-Horizon-

Yep, my 3DS is chock full of Atlus games xD

Other than the mahjong game and the ones that aren't out yet, I think I have all of them lol

just bought Code of Princess, resold after a while cause I didn't like the game, pretty disappointed by the gameplay (I thought it was a sidescrolling beu but basically seems like a vs. game with just a bigger arena)

maybe I might be interested in Attack on Titan cause I'm watching the anime now, but the bad score it got from Famitsu (30/40) is holding back my purchase

Platy

Facepalming design of the protagonist aside, it was a pretty good game, specialy if you could play local coop.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
5009333.jpg

Here's yet another Etrian Odyssey game, this time being a remake of EO2 on DS. Again it comes with a new story mode and a classic mode. It's due on Aug 4th 2015.

This is the main one I care about

Not a huge fan of that cover art tho. Might go digital

Atlus has been a huge boon for the 3DS. I own EOU, EO4, SMT IV, and Persona Q. All of these games are great!

I'm looking very forward to Devil Survivor 2 and EOU2. Etrian Mystery Dungeon also looks good, but I can wait on that one.

Tizoc

I think SMT4 would be a good start. Much of the games are stand alone.

A lot of heavy hitters by Atlus are on the 3DS. Having said that, It's almost but not quite at the level of what the DS had imo. Hopefully they can get closer to that point before the 3DS finishes its run.

It's also very interesting that this shows off what I've noticed for a little while now, which is that Atlus in the West has focused a lot more on their inhouse published games (like SMT and Etrian Odyssey) and less on games developed by other companies in Japan (like Code of Princess and Conception 2). It used to be a lot more balanced a generation or two ago.

gogoud

I got their dungeon crawler persona q never playing other persona games. I love recent return to dungeon crawlers like log1 and 2. But persona q threw me off as it had randomized battles and you couldn't see the baddies approaching you. Which is a no go for me. There's only strat when battling but not when exploring.

Then I got their etrain dungeon cralwer. Looked awesome. But also same faults.

Smt series seem best for me. Randomized battles on map like some old school RPGs I used to play. And you can see the baddies when you go dungeon. Haven't finished smt4 as the story arc has a split in the middle where I believe in both choices, so I made two save files and it became a time sink. Had to stop.

ohlawd

Atlus' output on 3DS is top notch. If only other pubs followed suit and put out their own array of fantastic titles

fuckin' Japan.

javac

Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever played a single Atlus game in my entire life, but some of them look fun. Was interested in SMT4 but the massive delay in the EU meant that when it did come, digital only no less, I was invested in other games.

Miker

I'm hoping for another Trauma Center by Team Maniax with Doi as lead artist. It'll happen, just you wait. Altus would be a fool to ignore Trauma Team's sales.

A lot of heavy hitters by Atlus are on the 3DS. Having said that, It's almost but not quite at the level of what the DS had imo. Hopefully they can get closer to that point before the 3DS finishes its run.

It's also very interesting that this shows off what I've noticed for a little while now, which is that Atlus in the West has focused a lot more on their inhouse published games (like SMT and Etrian Odyssey) and less on games developed by other companies in Japan (like Code of Princess and Conception 2). It used to be a lot more balanced a generation or two ago.

I tend to find the Atlus published(not developed) games not as great as the ones they make so it's not a problem for me.

so yeah the more EO and SMT the better for me.

cj_iwakura

If not for Soul Hackers and SMTIV(in that order), I would not own a 3DS.

Also, poor Vita. IV or SH would have been KILLER on the Vita.

Ashkeloth

EO4 is an easy game, how far did you get in the game? and please don't judge the whole genre over LoG(I love LoG2 but the first one is lacking).

I remember completing the first dungeon (the forest), but after that, I'm a bit hazy honestly. It's been a couple of years at least since I decided to give it a try.

I'm aware that a lot of things from older games in the series were made simpler for EOIV such as a few automapping features and stuff like that, but I just remember it not really hitting any real points on my personal tastes. Might be that I was playing it wrong, since I made myself a standard RPG-style party of Tank-Damage Dealer-Magic Damage Dealer-Healer and stuck to it rigidly.

I will say that one thing that has stuck with me for some reason is the quality of the music. The random battles were always fun just because of how energetic Battlefield ~ Storm was and it was really peaceful exploring those woods despite danger being around almost every corner.

I'd like to not write off entire genres if I can help it, but I find first person dungeon crawling games very claustrophobic feeling and mechanically intricate. Lots of preparation, stopping and starting and grinding if you can't make it through, with very little driving force behind exploring the dungeons other than to conquer them, which usually leaves me feeling more stressed than happy. That feeling only multiplies when I enter the next dungeon and discover it's exponentially more complex and filled with even more ravenous monsters.

Facepalming design of the protagonist aside, it was a pretty good game, specialy if you could play local coop.

While local coop is way off the cards, it's good to hear it was at least decent. At least us Europeans didn't need to worry about the box art, eh Atlus? ha... ha.

Atlus is my favourite company who's games I never play.

I don't know what it is, but I love the style of their characters and settings, but their games look like such big time sinks that I never play them...despite even buying them (or rebuying them with P4 and P4G & P3F and P3P). lol.

I'm very tempted to buy SMTIV though, i think I just missed it on sale on the Euro store though, which is a shame.

jwhit28

I remember completing the first dungeon (the forest), but after that, I'm a bit hazy honestly. It's been a couple of years at least since I decided to give it a try.

I'm aware that a lot of things from older games in the series were made simpler for EOIV such as a few automapping features and stuff like that, but I just remember it not really hitting any real points on my personal tastes. Might be that I was playing it wrong, since I made myself a standard RPG-style party of Tank-Damage Dealer-Magic Damage Dealer-Healer and stuck to it rigidly.

I will say that one thing that has stuck with me for some reason is the quality of the music. The random battles were always fun just because of how energetic Battlefield ~ Storm was or how peaceful it was exploring those woods despite danger being around almost every corner.

I'd like to not write off entire genres if I can help it, but I find first person dungeon crawling games very claustrophobic feeling and mechanically intricate. Lots of preparation, stopping and starting and grinding if you can't make it through, with very little driving force behind exploring the dungeons other than to conquer them, which usually leaves me feeling more stressed than happy. That feeling only multiplies when I enter the next dungeon and discover it's exponentially more complex and filled with even more ravenous monsters.

It might help to try the Etrian Odyssey Untold games. They have a typical RPG story to push you through and premade party members. There is a demo but I don't remember if it is of the story mode.

Nudull

Banned
Devil Survivor and Kingdom Hearts were the two games that convinced me to buy a 3DS, and I was happy with both. SMT IV helped solidify it further as one of my favorite handhelds for RPGs. I was somewhat disappointed with the original DS 2, but I'll get Break Record and Persona Q eventually along with Attack on Titan.

I tend to find the Atlus published(not developed) games not as great as the ones they make so it's not a problem for me.

so yeah the more EO and SMT the better for me.
I'll admit I agree. Nothing comes close to Atlus's own output besides the Sting games (and even that's a pretty controversial opinion of mine). But I still admit to having a fond spot for Atlus's more experimental days. They were pretty much like another Xseed in that regard. I do imagine that most of that was because of a lack of things to localize though, especially with franchises like Shin Megami Tensei not being as popular 10 years ago as they are now.

Dee Dee

Can we just talk about how Conception II is a massive turd of a game? Like, such a bland slab of fanservicey bullshit... I can't.

Now that I got this off my chest, Devil Survivor Overclocked is a freaking hard SRPG, and more people should play it.

I think they target a rather niche and hardcore gamer audience, so of course this is a publisher catering to this forum's needs. And it draws an interested audience on the 3DS!
Still, they are consistently trying to approach a less invested audience, doing a Persona to the SMT series, an Etrian Odyssey with a story mode, and a rather easy SMT (IV - but that disregards the first 2 hours of the game entirely, mind you). I guess I should not write them off as a niche publisher, seeing how they are after all aiming at mainstream success lately, crossing over series to garner more interest for both and making stuff more accessible.
Interested to see where that takes them.
Also interested to see whether their European support will ever improve. Ah well.

Top Bottom