• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Atlus' games on 3DS

Etria

Can we just talk about how Conception II is a massive turd of a game? Like, such a bland slab of fanservicey bullshit... I can't.

Now that I got this off my chest, Devil Survivor Overclocked is a freaking hard SRPG, and more people should play it.

I think they target a rather niche and hardcore gamer audience, so of course this is a publisher catering to this forum's needs. And it draws an interested audience on the 3DS!
Still, they are consistently trying to approach a less invested audience, doing a Persona to the SMT series, an Etrian Odyssey with a story mode, and a rather easy SMT (IV - but that disregards the first 2 hours of the game entirely, mind you). I guess I should not write them off as a niche publisher, seeing how they are after all aiming at mainstream success lately, crossing over series to garner more interest for both and making stuff more accessible.
Interested to see where that takes them.
Also interested to see whether their European support will ever improve. Ah well.

Yes, Devil Survivor Overclocked seems to be one of the 3DS titles that are slightly underappreciated! It's got classic Atlus difficulty and awesome atmosphere :)

Since it's been revealed that Atlus is behind the development of SMTxFE can we assume the Devil Survivor team is working on that one?
And that's the reason why we didn't get DS3?
I mean DS team didn't put out anything -as far as i'm aware-for the past 3 years so that must be the reason,otherwise it just doesn't make sense,we are getting the remakes but the 3rd entry is nowhere to be seen yet.
I gave up on the possibility of them releasing DS3 this year but hopefully 2016 will be the year.

ATLUS only needs to release a Trauma Center game with 3D GUILT and magical space serum if they want to claim the throne of 3DS publisher companies.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is still one of my favourite 3DS titles. Persona Q was pretty good too. Still need to catch up on all the others I've started (Soul Hackers, EO:Untold) and the ones that are still sealed (SMT4, EO4). Atlus is a huge reason why I love my 3DS, especially as they're much more to my tastes than Nintendo games.

Since it's been revealed that Atlus is behind the development of SMTxFE can we assume the Devil Survivor team is working on that one?
I mean DS team didn't put out anything -as far as i'm aware-for the past 3 years so that must be the reason,otherwise it just doesn't make sense,we are getting the remakes but the 3rd entry is nowhere to be seen yet.
I gave up on the possibility of them releasing DS3 this year but hopefully 2016 will be the year.

Well at the very least we know that one of the key members of Devil Survivor is the producer of the crossover game

Guess Who

Banned

If I recall the DS director is confirmed to be working on SMTxFE, so probably, yeah.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
When I bought my 3DS, the first physical game I bought with it was SMT Soul Hackers. Great game and intro to the world of SMT.

Etria

I think I read that the director of Devil Survivor is directing #FE (see the discussion thread on Illusory Revelations #FE).

Was there ever any indication that the DS team was working on a third entry to the series? That would be great news :O

randomkid

Out of curiosity, I went and had a look at what Wikipedia says is the list of Atlus USA published games for DS through 2008 (should be roughly analogous to the OP's list of Atlus USA published 3DS games through 2015).

Puyo Pop Fever
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
SBK: Snowboard Kids
Deep Labyrinth
Contact
Touch Detective
Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
Bomberman Land Touch!
Etrian Odyssey
Luminous Arc
Draglade
Touch Detective 2 ½
Ontamarama
Drone Tactics
Rondo of Swords
Summon Night: Twin Age
Master of the Monster Lair
Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns
Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
Luminous Arc 2
The Dark Spire
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
Naruto Shippuden: Naruto vs. Sasuke
My World, My Way
Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Steal Princess
Dokapon Journey
Tokyo Beat Down
Knights in the Nightmare
Trackmania DS

Atlus USA would go on to publish 7 more games for the DS's remaining 3 years, including both Devil Survivors, Strange Journey, and Radiant Historia. I wonder how many more games 3DS will get?

Aeana

Really? So if I didn't like it, I should not give SMTIV a chance? :(

Soul Hackers is a 32-bit era Atlus game that was ported to 3DS. SMT4 is more modern, although it does have a fair number of throwbacks to the SNES era. I don't think liking Soul Hackers is a prerequisite for enjoying SMT4, though.

RM8

Soul Hackers is a dungeon crawling-based RPG while SMTIV is more of a JRPG, so you can give it a try. They're quite different.

Soul Hackers is a 32-bit era Atlus game that was ported to 3DS. SMT4 is more modern, although it does have a fair number of throwbacks to the SNES era. I don't think liking Soul Hackers is a prerequisite for enjoying SMT4, though.

I see. I might still buy it at some point, then, it just looks really cool and it seems to have a great soundtrack :p I just need a fun battle system and I'm good, really.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
just bought Code of Princess, resold after a while cause I didn't like the game, pretty disappointed by the gameplay (I thought it was a sidescrolling beu but basically seems like a vs. game with just a bigger arena)

maybe I might be interested in Attack on Titan cause I'm watching the anime now, but the bad score it got from Famitsu (30/40) is holding back my purchase
Wait 30/40 is a bad score? That seems like the equivalent of a 8 or 7

Etria

Is Devil Survivorv a spin off to Shin Megami Tensei, just like Persona kind of is?

Yup, though Devil Survivor doesn't have a big focus on school and social links like Persona does. I've only played the first one before, but DS deals with bigger themes about God, catastrophe, etc., that can be said to be more likened to SMT than Persona.

Not to mention it is a SRPG instead of a traditional JRPG.

vocab

SMT4 - Great for a handheld game. Not really an evolution of the series that 3 did. Overall the best rpg on the 3ds.
Soul hackers - yay I can play another cyberpunk game. Audio quality is ass though. It's babbys first first person dungeon crawler, but it's a pretty good one so it's excused.
EO4 - I stopped at the second floor of the second stratum. It was feeling bit of a slog. Backtracking over and over to make 1% of progress.

That's all I own. I can't bring my self to buy Devil Survivor. Those characters. No.

TBH most of their output is pretty decent (except conception). Though the Atlus tax....nah I wait for those prices to go down before buying anything of theirs.

Rran

Wow, I should really look into some of these Atlas games... any suggestions for a beginner who isn't the hugest fan of dungeon crawlers?? Love Trauma Center/ Team and thought Code of Princess was... decent. That's about the extent of my familiarity w/ the company, and neither of those titles appear to be at all like the ones listed in the OP. If it helps, I do love me some Fire Emblem :O

Astral Dog

i havent played an Atlus game.

Was interested on Persona Q but hated the EO Demo on the eshop and never bought it, Devil Overlclocked i never could found, but read mixed opinions, SMT IV looks really interesting and i would have bought it on eshop when they made a promotion and had a very attractive price, but my card was stolen around that time and the sale ended.

Is Devil 2 a good recommendation? what are the differences between the first game?

cafemomo

\
the bad score it got from Famitsu (30/40) is holding back my purchase

famitsu lost its way years ago
e.g
E5XLcJ5.jpg

Etria

I can't bring my self to buy Devil Survivor. Those characters. No.

What do you not like about the characters in Devil Survivor?

Is Devil 2 a good recommendation? what are the differences between the first game?

I have heard that DS1 is much better than DS2. Some say that the atmosphere and characters are better in the first one compared to the second.
You can always grab the first one from the eShop when Atlus puts it on sale (which is very regularly) if you have an NA 3DS, otherwise European copies can't be too hard to find nowadays.

Wow, I should really look into some of these Atlas games... any suggestions for a beginner who isn't the hugest fan of dungeon crawlers?? Love Trauma Center/ Team and thought Code of Princess was... decent. That's about the extent of my familiarity w/ the company, and neither of those titles appear to be at all like the ones listed in the OP. If it helps, I do love me some Fire Emblem :O

if you like FE you should try Devil Survivor
thats what i did and i love both now :)

This may be a stretch, and definitely do your research, but consider checking out Yggdra Union on the PSP. Its on the PSN so tou can play it on Vita too.

If you want to see the SMT side of things, then there's always the Devil Survivor games.

Aeana

Tropey as hell. Tits the character. Some kid who looks like some prince of tennis character. Nah, it's not for me.

I don't like the character designs, either, but Devil Survivor 1 has one of the best morality systems in the franchise. I think it's worth trying to get past the designs because the rest of it is really enjoyable (sans the crappy music).

I think I read that the director of Devil Survivor is directing #FE (see the discussion thread on Illusory Revelations #FE).

Was there ever any indication that the DS team was working on a third entry to the series? That would be great news :O

Nothing explicit,but i mean why would they remake the originals if they are not planning an eventual successor on the 3ds?
Also series has been really successful-as far as spinoffs go- got great critical acclaim,it doesn't make sense if they don't have anything planned out for the future.
I just want a new entry,DS series and the Strange Journey are my fav Atlus games while EQ's make up for the lack of new SJ like gameplay there's nothing to substitute for DS games.

I think we'll have a concrete answers after the DS2 remake about the future of the series and a possible 3rd title.

Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker is definitely my most anticipated Atlus game coming out, besides the collab with Intelligent Systems on #FE. Devil Survivor was one of the best new series to start on the DS and I was so happy to see the remake finally getting confirmation here.

It's funny though. I think I have most, if not all released Atlus-developed games for the 3DS so far, but the only one I've finished is Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Reveirg

I don't like the character designs, either, but Devil Survivor 1 has one of the best morality systems in the franchise. I think it's worth trying to get past the designs because the rest of it is really enjoyable (sans the crappy music).

Music really was one of the game's weakest points IMO. I really hope DS2's better.

Trago

Code of Princess is the shit! Wish I could have nabbed the Limited Edition.

Atlus has been kicking ass on the 3DS.

Etria

Yes, try Devil Survivor like the poster above suggested. In DS, you control "teams" of three units (a leader and two others), so it is different to FE in that respect. The battle system is quite different as well in that there are physical and magical skills that you equip onto each leader (the human characters) as you unlock them, so there is quite a bit of customisation and strategic planning between battles. You can also fuse demons together to create stronger demons, while choosing certain skills to be passed on, so there can be plenty of approaches to making teams that suit each scenario.

OuterLimits

I would agree. I'm not a fan of Soul Hackers but love SMT IV and the Devil Survivor games.

Rran

if you like FE you should try Devil Survivor
thats what i did and i love both now :)

This may be a stretch, and definitely do your research, but consider checking out Yggdra Union on the PSP. Its on the PSN so tou can play it on Vita too.

If you want to see the SMT side of things, then there's always the Devil Survivor games.
Thanks for the input! Guess I'll begin my SMT jaunt w/ DS...

And I hadn't heard of Yggdra Union--will be looking that one up very shortly ;D

Etria

Tropey as hell. Tits the character. Some kid who looks like some prince of tennis character. Nah, it's not for me.

I see where you're coming from. I'm personally not a major fan of the character designs either, and some of the characters can come off as being quite annoying
(Yuzu, I'm looking at you).
Despite that, there are many great aspects of the game that you should consider, such as the story, the battle system, the multiple endings, atmosphere, etc. Don't write off the game just because of the characters! Not all of them are bad
(see: Gin; he's cool).

Yes! What she said :)
I hope I got your gender correct? Apologies if not.

Nothing explicit,but i mean why would they remake the originals if they are not planning an eventual successor on the 3ds?
Also series has been really successful-as far as spinoffs go- got great critical acclaim,it doesn't make sense if they don't have anything planned out for the future.
I just want a new entry,DS series and the Strange Journey are my fav Atlus games while EQ's make up for the lack of new SJ like gameplay there's nothing to substitute for DS games.

I think we'll have a concrete answers after the DS2 remake about the future of the series and a possible 3rd title.

I would love if they made a third DS game. Sounds plausible that they may have something in the works, but obviously there is no point in announcing it before the remake comes out. I hope you're right :p

I haven't played Strange Journey before. Been trying to track down a copy but it's hard to find where I live ><

Dee Dee

I really have to agree with vocab though, I stopped playing the game at one point because I hated every single character in there, and really could not be arsed to take someone's really stupid side. (Yes. That is why I quit. Not because I got horribly defeated MULTIPLE times by Amane. Whose design is one of the worse ones as well...)

The gameplay is top notch though, and I stand by my recommendation. Not necessarily one for newcomers, for those asking, unless you are willing to really learn the battle system. If you do though, it is satisfyingly challenging, and very atmospheric.

Thud

I only have Soul Hackers, SMT IV and Persona Q. I already played the Devil Survivor games on the DS, so I'll pass on that.

But yeah these games are great. Soul Hackers is definitely the most difficult of the three. Blazed through SMT IV (after that beginning) and Persona Q (after acquiring sub personae)

Converse

Banned
I appreciate the hell out of Atlus, and I haven't even touched their 3DS output. I was late to the 3DS party (didn't get in till 2014ish), and this little system has so much to dig into.

Korigama

And right after that on July 16th 2013 comes what many might consider not only Atlus' biggest 3DS game to date but also one of the highest profile on the system, Shin Megami Tensei IV! This features a 3D overworld but the battles are back to a more classical 2D-style, unlike the 3D fights from Nocturne. It also doesn't feature the original character designer Kazuma Kaneko, instead they brought in Masayuki Doi who actually already worked on Persona 3.
Hm, hadn't recalled Doi being involved with P3 (not saying that's incorrect, as opposed to being something I apparently overlooked). More people note him as the artist/character designer from Trauma Center than anything else.

Elija2

Only Atlus game I own is SMTIV, and that's only because of the promotion with FE. I've only played a few hours of it, but what I played is fun so I wanna go back to it eventually. I'm also interested in Mystery Dungeon but I'll probably get it on sale (that's one thing I love about Atlus, the constant eShop sales).

Owwari

Banned
I haven't played a Devil Survivor game before, are they any good? I consider Fire Emblem to be a bit too strategic for my tastes I'm kind of a more-to-the-point gamer, not a problem with turn based combat per se but rather the flow.

Firemind

What Atlus games have you played out of curiosity?
Recently, Disgaea, Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center. Mind you, I have enjoyed Atlus published games in the past, just not games actually made by Atlus. Now I just avoid Atlus games altogether.

Disgaea I bought because people said it's the tits. I was expecting Tactics Ogre in a supernatural setting, but I was disappointed to find out it's a game where you max/max with a battle system that's not very intuitive or fun. I loathe max/maxing as it doesn't create any sort of decision-making to problems. You simply take time and you'll eventually get there. Etrian Odyssey was promising at first, drawing the dungeons and making your way through them, but it eventually took its toll as the battle system yet again isn't interesting enough to keep me hooked. The lack of character models and any sort of battle animation didn't do it any favours. Trauma Center was just an unresponsive mess, which probably the DS' touchscreen takes the blame for too.

rjc571

Banned
I can't get over the fact that the Etrian Odyssey games ran at 60 fps on the DS, but only 30 fps on the 3DS. I mean, the graphics are barely updated on the 3DS, even with a big boost in hardware power behind them, so why the hell did they have to cut the framerate in half? Even though the lower framerate doesn't affect the gameplay in this case, the games were MUCH more pleasant to look at on the original DS.

Top Bottom