• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Atlus' games on 3DS

Whoa I just googled to find out more info about Stella Glow, this is the main story that comes up:

http://kotaku.com/japanese-game-exec-has-disappeared-nobody-can-find-him-1695445689

This week, Imageepoch’s websites went offline, and no one can find company president Ryoei Mikage.
It’s so difficult to find the exec that the President of developer Idea Factory, Yoshiteru Sato, tweeted out that it could not get in touch with Mikage, and thus, had not choice but to make a public announcement via the social networking site in hopes of finding him.

I know Mauricio_Magus is going to hate me for saying this, but I feel they've made too many EO games on 3DS. I'm fine with Untold 3 coming out, but I just think after that, they need to give the series a rest on 3DS, HOWEVER, I REALLY hope EOV is a Wii U game, the one other system that makes perfect sense for the series as the GamePad is born for the map-making gameplay.

I also hope Atlus expand their horizons more on 3DS. The last non-EO they made was SMTIV in terms of original games no? DS2 is a port/remake, Persona Q is half EO. :p

They are doing more outside localizations so that's good, Stella Glow is one I was dying for them to pick up if Sega wouldn't themselves (Sega did localize Sands of Destruction... but nothing else from IE since).

Two I'm also hoping they'll pick up are Kenka Bancho 6 (2 games already from Spike Chunsoft are a wonderful sign), and Legend of Legacy (Lost Dimension virtually confirms it IMO).

One I am really sad they skipped was Class of Heroes 3D, you think they would've snatched that up when they had the chance, having already done COH1 on PSP. Such a shame. :(

Also, what's up with Sting? They made numerous DS games with Atlus and then split and worked with Idea Factory on Generation of Chaos 6 for PSP... then fell off the face of the Earth. I was really hoping we'd see some 3DS games from Sting with Atlus, don't Atlus own the Yggdra IPs and whatnot?

I know Mauricio_Magus is going to hate me for saying this, but I feel they've made too many EO games on 3DS. I'm fine with Untold 3 coming out, but I just think after that, they need to give the series a rest on 3DS, HOWEVER, I REALLY hope EOV is a Wii U game, the one other system that makes perfect sense for the series as the GamePad is born for the map-making gameplay.
Word to all of this, especially the bolded. My post history should prove that I've been dreaming about EO Wii U since the system was announced.

Apart from the penchant to localize shitty games, my biggest problem with Atlus as a whole is the remake/remaster/director's cut mentality. If they would release the additions as DLC it would be a different story, and greedier companies than them have learned that constant re-releases actually drive away customers, but hopefully they figure it out.

Laconic

Banned

I also hope Atlus expand their horizons more on 3DS. The last non-EO they made was SMTIV in terms of original games no? DS2 is a port/remake, Persona Q is half EO. :p

They are doing more outside localizations so that's good, Stella Glow is one I was dying for them to pick up if Sega wouldn't themselves (Sega did localize Sands of Destruction... but nothing else from IE since).

Two I'm also hoping they'll pick up are Kenka Bancho 6 (2 games already from Spike Chunsoft are a wonderful sign), and Legend of Legacy (Lost Dimension virtually confirms it IMO).

One I am really sad they skipped was Class of Heroes 3D, you think they would've snatched that up when they had the chance, having already done COH1 on PSP. Such a shame. :(

Also, what's up with Sting? They made numerous DS games with Atlus and then split and worked with Idea Factory on Generation of Chaos 6 for PSP... then fell off the face of the Earth. I was really hoping we'd see some 3DS games from Sting with Atlus, don't Atlus own the Yggdra IPs and whatnot?

I'd rather they keep the EO games on the 3DS and whatever portable comes after (yes to EO5!!!), and create a whole new franchise on the Wii U.

A 6-8 character party dungeon crawler on the big screen would be sexy.

I'd buy Persona Q if it wasn't so damn expensive.

Atlus will have it on sale before you know it, that's the odd thing about them, they have sales arguably more than most publishers. :p

It's $50 now, but it might be on sale for $25 soon enough, depending on how long it takes their games after release to be part of their sales.

I'll likely pick it up then. :)

I guess this isn't quite OT considering it's about Atlus games:

So, is Persona Q worth getting? I just finished my first playthrough of P4G, which I loved and am really wanting more of these characters (even probably getting Dancing All Night despite it not being my type of game at all). I know Persona Q is a mix of 3/4's cast, and I plan to get to P3P soon, so it may be awhile, but I was wondering if Q scratches that itch pretty well. I don't anything about the EO games it's a crossover/hybrid of.

As someone who loves both Persona 3 and 4, I just love Persona Q. The banter between the characters (which, IMO, is what makes Persona 3 & 4 great) is still there.

jblank83

I mean, maybe if you're buying what they're selling. But Bravely Default was a good idea executed really terribly (and no, I'm not talking about the second half) and most if the rest of their output is nostalgia rhythm games and remakes. As much as I like the Dragon Quest VII remake, Square's output has been very cynical in my eyes. Haven't spent any time with explorers yet, but I'm honestly just sick of Square and their shenanigans no matter what the platform.

Damn

But yeah, I've been saying the same for years now.

Nah, Sting's still around. They developed Hyperdevotion Noire last year.

HyperdevotionNoire.jpg

They do an awful job updating their website though... yikes.

Does Persona Q ever go on sale on the eShop like every other Atlus game?
It will eventually and the game is sick. It's just their latest real release. If there were social links, PQ would be the defacto Persona game in my mind. Just goes to show what Persona without terrible dungeons and combat could be (yes, despite hama mudo).

Hopefully they're trying harder with P5 to deliver a solid experience all around.

HyperdevotionNoire.jpg

Ahhh, so they were behind that.

Which ones do Tamsoft do? I don't play these so I don't keep track. :p

Are they even still independent or did they actually merge with IF and become Super Sting or whatever it was?

Shauni

As someone who loves both Persona 3 and 4, I just love Persona Q. The banter between the characters (which, IMO, is what makes Persona 3 & 4 great) is still there.

It will eventually and the game is sick. It's just their latest real release. If there were social links, PQ would be the defacto Persona game in my mind. Just goes to show what Persona without terrible dungeons and combat could be (yes, despite hama mudo).

Hopefully they're trying harder with P5 to deliver a solid experience all around.

Ah, very cool, thanks for the replies. I'll look into then whenever I finish P3. Hopefully I can find a good deal on Q by that point.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Recently, Disgaea, Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center. Mind you, I have enjoyed Atlus published games in the past, just not games actually made by Atlus. Now I just avoid Atlus games altogether.

Disgaea I bought because people said it's the tits. I was expecting Tactics Ogre in a supernatural setting, but I was disappointed to find out it's a game where you max/max with a battle system that's not very intuitive or fun. I loathe max/maxing as it doesn't create any sort of decision-making to problems. You simply take time and you'll eventually get there. Etrian Odyssey was promising at first, drawing the dungeons and making your way through them, but it eventually took its toll as the battle system yet again isn't interesting enough to keep me hooked. The lack of character models and any sort of battle animation didn't do it any favours. Trauma Center was just an unresponsive mess, which probably the DS' touchscreen takes the blame for too.

Disgaea isnt Atlus. Thats Nippon Ichi Software.

random25

Atlus has been great so far. They've been the best 3rd party on the 3DS in terms of quantity plus quality of output.

If I would ask Atlus one thing, it would be to diversify more and touch the other franchises that they left behind in the DS era. Trauma Center, Devil Survivor and Radiant Historia have the potential to be continued franchises, even though they aren't as hot in terms of sales.

TomShoe

Banned
It is worth every penny.

In spite of Hama and Mudo.

Atlus will have it on sale before you know it, that's the odd thing about them, they have sales arguably more than most publishers. :p

It's $50 now, but it might be on sale for $25 soon enough, depending on how long it takes their games after release to be part of their sales.

I'll likely pick it up then. :)

$25 and I'm in. At this rate I might pick up P4G first. I've been wanting a Vita for a long time anyway.

:p

Qwyjibo

Devil Survivor Overclocked was my first SMT and got me into the entire series. I loved the story and the entire presentation of the game. The only downside was that some grinding was required (at least for me). A couple battles would have been impossible without it.

OuterLimits

Generation of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection is a great game. Fun strategy game with a rather dark and depressing plot. I think only 10 people have played it though since it came out so late in PSP life.

I hate you.

I mean, EO is pretty much a yearly series at this point, I did not like Untold and didn't even finish it so I just feel like I had EO4 in 2013 and I've been waiting for EO5 for so long, screw the remakes(even if I'm still buying and playing them all, they seemed to have fixed a lot of stuff in Untold 2). I want Untold 3 because EO3 is the best game in the series and a remake would be amazing. If you're not a hardcore fan you can just play 4 and wait for 5, no need to play the remakes.

I NEED VR EO!

Also, there's no chance that EO5 will be a Wii U game, I just can't see it happening, these games are low budget as hell and benefit from being on a handheld. Also the audience is NOT on the Wii U.

Disgaea isnt Atlus. Thats Nippon Ichi Software.

I love how everyone thinks Disgaea is from Atlus because of the boxart.

I don't get why there's no NIS logo in there.

Kazerei

Banned
I have all the EO and SMT (and SMT sub-series) games. Love 'em. I love that their gameplay and combat systems are complex but not abstruse. They hit just the right level for me. I feel like most other RPGs don't offer that same depth of challenge and satisfaction.

Also, there's no chance that EO5 will be a Wii U game, I just can't see it happening, these games are low budget as hell and benefit from being on a handheld. Also the audience is NOT on the Wii U.
Still, it's interesting they announced it without a platform.

Audience assumptions aside, it would work brilliantly on the Wii U. With SMTxFE coming this year, the best way to build an audience is to make games that audience will buy. Atlus is playing in a league of their own with the DRPG genre right now. I think dedicated fans will follow, especially with things sweetened with a few other high quality JRPGs.

3DS had a win, place, show, and mo' placing in my 2013 GOTY list, and Atlus had 3 of those spots. It's dropped off rather hard since, but I'm probably picking up Mystery Dungeon once I'm done with BB and my GS II replay.

HyperdevotionNoire.jpg

2304054-hierameir.png

Their art fell off real bad after that merge with Chunsoft. Idea Fuck will do that.

DVCY201

Seeing this thread, I decided to try the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold(?) Millenium Girl. Surprisingly good! I'm going to play a bit more around in the demo, but Atlus may have me as a fan for a whole new series! Which is good, but not good for my wallet. Seriously, Atlus' output on the 3DS is pretty incredible. I've got so much to pick up now that I own one.

Seeing this thread, I decided to try the demo for Etrian Odyssey Untold(?) Millenium Girl. Surprisingly good! I'm going to play a bit more around in the demo, but Atlus may have me as a fan for a whole new series! Which is good, but not good for my wallet. Seriously, Atlus' output on the 3DS is pretty incredible. I've got so much to pick up now that I own one.
Get EOIV instead of that, but yes, you're in for a lot of good times.

Their art fell off real bad after that merge with Chunsoft. Idea Fuck will do that.

You mean Spike. :p Sting is a different developer. They made games like Dokapon Kingdom, Evolution, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, etc.

Spike made games like Fire Pro Wrestling, Kenka Bancho, Conception, the Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi and Raging Blast series, etc. Spike is the one who merged with Chunsoft.

GamerJM

Banned
It's a good lineup but it's a lot different from their DS one, more focused on their big titles and not stuff like Trauma Center or smaller RPG localizations. Granted I was never big on Atlus games until recently but I feel like once I go back and play more of their DS games I'll have less of an appreciation for their 3DS stuff.

It's a good lineup but it's a lot different from their DS one, more focused on their big titles and not stuff like Trauma Center or smaller RPG localizations. Granted I was never big on Atlus games until recently but I feel like once I go back and play more of their DS games I'll have less of an appreciation for their 3DS stuff.
Maybe. Less remakes. EO, Trauma Center, Devil Survivor, etc were all fresh games. Strange Journey is the best SMT to date in my eyes. They published things like Dark Spire.

The problem is, no one is really making things like Dark Spire now. Experience is doing their old school DRPG thing over on the Vita, but at nowhere near the quality if Demon Gaze is anything to go by.

We don't have the variety that Atlus made on DS, but we have improved iterations and generally high quality which is still much appreciated.

What team made the Trauma Center games? Are they still around?

It's a better game and probably the best game for a beginner of the series.

You can start with any game you want, but IV is usually the game the fanbase recommends to a newcomer.
Yup. Personally I'm not a fan of Untold at all, but regardless of that I think IV is objectively the easiest place to jump in and would say III is the best one overall.

Atlus makes up a HUGE part of my 3DS library and makes up most of my favourite games on my 3DS! Atlus helps make the 3DS one of my favourite gaming systems ever!

DVCY201

It's a better game and probably the best game for a beginner of the series.

You can start with any game you want, but IV is usually the game the fanbase recommends to a newcomer.

Untold is a great game and the story mode is very beginner friendly. Both are great games and either one is fine to start with.

Coolio, thanks, I'll probably end up picking up IV then (it's cheaper for the moment). But, if I really get into it, I'll end up grabbing both I'm sure.

FDBK

I don't get why there's no NIS logo in there.

Atlus published and maybe distributed Disgaea PS2. And even though there is no NIS logo anywhere, NIS does get credited in text on the back of the game case and on the disc print. Might be worth mentioning that NISA started in 2003, about the time Disgaea PS2 came out. So all this may explain why no NIS(A) logo in the front.

randomkid

They are the team responsible for SMT IV.

Well, that was mainly the Nocturne Maniax team but yes Trauma team did help out. You can really see the Trauma influence in the art, the cutscene direction, some of the music and
the yammering melodrama in Mikado.

Aeana

They are the team responsible for SMT IV.

That's not true. The SMT4 team is primarily the Maniax team (the team responsible for the expanded version of SMT3). It has a few key people from Trauma Team (artist, composer) though.

The Trauma team has been pretty much scattered all over the place.

Nudull

Banned
That's not true. The SMT4 team is primarily the Maniax team (the team responsible for the expanded version of SMT3). It has a few key people from Trauma Team (artist, composer) though.

It's a shame that the Trauma series died out. :c

spiritfox

Ah my bad. That's what I meant.

Atlus is probably my 2nd favorite developer after Nintendo and their dedication to the platform has been great. I have all of the internally developed games, as well as Code of Princess. Will consider Stella Glow, but I'm not exactly confident in Imageepoch. Picked up Conception II on Vita and was surprised to see that it isn't actually the big pile of shit that GAF led me to believe. It's a 3/5 game. Decent, not great.

EO5 and a EOU3 announcement would be all I need to top off the generation. 3DSxAtlus is love.

Word to all of this, especially the bolded. My post history should prove that I've been dreaming about EO Wii U since the system was announced.

Apart from the penchant to localize shitty games, my biggest problem with Atlus as a whole is the remake/remaster/director's cut mentality. If they would release the additions as DLC it would be a different story, and greedier companies than them have learned that constant re-releases actually drive away customers, but hopefully they figure it out.

While...I kinda agree, I'd love them to remake/port their PS2 games to handhelds.

Nocturne, Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga would make for some great 3DS/ Vita games.

KaneU

Atlus is my favourite company who's games I never play.

I don't know what it is, but I love the style of their characters and settings, but their games look like such big time sinks that I never play them...despite even buying them (or rebuying them with P4 and P4G & P3F and P3P). lol.

I'm very tempted to buy SMTIV though, i think I just missed it on sale on the Euro store though, which is a shame.

It's on sale every 2-3 weeks, I'm sure you'll have another chance soon, lol.

Top Bottom