• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Lulubop

he left for Transporter

they never did the book version any justice
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a0/c1/b2/a0c1b24849d16c7880552f3277cd00ae.jpg
that sexy beast *swoon*

Ah, I see.

S4
I'm 4 episodes in and I feel like this is a much better season than the previous two. The pacing has picked up and not every single plot thread is receiving a focus per episode or at least it's minimized. Things that were built up in previous seasons are finally having some payoff and I really didn't expect to see Joffrey drop dead this early.

That said, the stuff with Dany continues to be terrible. There's no real drama or intrigued, no complex interactions and she's coming off as a Mary Sue. Her advisers have become background props at this point, because she's like the best. There's not even any regular ass conversations between any of them. It feels like a different show altogether at times. I wasn't a fan of the Dany stuff in season 1, but I'd take that in a heart beat. Didn't she have a few Dothraki people still lingering around too? Where they at? It's been a minute.

Season 2 Episode 9
Great episode. I feel like it was somewhat diminished the scale of things because I watched on my phone but I can see why this would have been a huge deal way back when this episode aired originally.

The penultimate scene where Cersei is about to kill her son is really well done.

I kept waiting for some Deus Ex Machina to come in to save King's Landing because I was convinced there was no way they would kill off all those main characters so early in to the series run. I knew it wouldn't be the wildfire because that is too obvious and it happened really early in the episode. Clever way to do it right at the end with the calvary charge. I thought it was more of Stannis' forces at first.

I'll be interested to see how Tywin's arrival changes up the status quo at both King's Landing and the ongoing war.

Unclear what happened to Stannis' as of now.

Altazor

glad to see you liked it! that
wildfire explosion
was absolutely mindblowing back then. I don't think I had ever seen CGI of that quality on TV before.

And yeah those final moments were tense as hell, with
Cersei about to poison Tommen and you thinking Stannis's forces are gonna win this thing...

until the knight in Renly's armor comes marching in, you realize the Tyrells have joined the Lannisters and it all ends with Tywin entering the throne room and saying "the battle is over... WE HAVE WON."

man, fucking gutpunch right there

Oh and gotta love the Hound:
fuck the Kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the King.

glad to see you liked it! that
wildfire explosion
was absolutely mindblowing back then. I don't think I had ever seen CGI of that quality on TV before.

And yeah those final moments were tense as hell, with
Cersei about to poison Tommen and you thinking Stannis's forces are gonna win this thing...

until the knight in Renly's armor comes marching in, you realize the Tyrells have joined the Lannisters and it all ends with Tywin entering the throne room and saying "the battle is over... WE HAVE WON."

man, fucking gutpunch right there

Oh and gotta love the Hound:
fuck the Kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the King.
Yeah the Hound leaving was an interesting move. It's weird that he just bailed. Doesn't seem like a guy who even gives a shit if he dies.

Season 2 Episode 10
Ok, so Stannis is perfectly fine. That's a bit strange unless I missed something.

Once again Daenerys just lucks in to everything. Gets her dragons back and tons of gold and jewels to go along with it. I don't understand what the warlocks plan even was? Maybe its better laid out in the book.

Maester Luwin kind of goes down like a chump. I liked his character, weird way to end his life but ok.

Valar Morghulis? Uh ok, and then the Jaqen shape shifted. I hope this is revisited because that really didn't make any sense.

White walkers revealed for real. Why didn't they kill Sam? I wonder if that has any significance.

Altazor

Season 2 Episode 10
Once again Daenerys just lucks in to everything. Gets her dragons back and tons of gold and jewels to go along with it. I don't understand what the warlocks plan even was? Maybe its better laid out in the book.

Well, considering in the book
the Warlocks never stole her dragons, their plan was mostly to consume her power or something like that, betting on trapping her forever in the House of the Undying. Also, her visions in the book were way fucking cooler and some big foreshadowing stuff.

Maester Luwin kind of goes down like a chump. I liked his character, weird way to end his life but ok.

It kinda went the same way in the book (as in
mortally wounded by a minor character then crawling to the Godswood
) but how
Winterfell... fell
is different. There's a couple of characters cut from the show, there's one that appears next season and
Theon's men didn't turn on him - but there was a betrayal in the books, by a certain faction to another character

Valar Morghulis? Uh ok, and then the Jaqen shape shifted. I hope this is revisited because that really didn't make any sense.

yeah... wait and see.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Trying to get my girlfriend to do this with me now. It's a daunting task for anyone who hasn't got into it at this point, but I'm sure I can convince her to start over with me and then join me for Season 7...

Season 2 Overall Thoughts

I think with the expanded scope of Season 2, binge watching like this makes things a lot easier to follow. That being said I still feel like a lot of stuff just flew by me. I think I enjoyed Season 1 a little better than 2 although the battle of Blackwater Bay was probably the high point of the series thus far.

Other than Daenerys I feel like after a whole season of war and political maneuvering, it seems like the status quo is not much different than the beginning of the Season.

I'm wondering if the White Walkers are the ultimate baddies for the final season. I'm having a hard time seeing where the whole series is going to end up. I guess that's a good thing though.

Still can't figure out if Dornish wine is supposed to be good or bad.

he left for Transporter

they never did the book version any justice
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/a0/c1/b2/a0c1b24849d16c7880552f3277cd00ae.jpg
that sexy beast *swoon*

I never really understood why they chose a replacement that looks nothing like the original one. You'd think they'd at least try for some physical similarity.

This isn't really a spoiler, so I'll answer. It's supposed to be good.

Altazor

Season 2 Overall Thoughts

I think with the expanded scope of Season 2, binge watching like this makes things a lot easier to follow. That being said I still feel like a lot of stuff just flew by me. I think I enjoyed Season 1 a little better than 2 although the battle of Blackwater Bay was probably the high point of the series thus far.

Other than Daenerys I feel like after a whole season of war and political maneuvering, it seems like the status quo is not much different than the beginning of the Season.

I'm wondering if the White Walkers are the ultimate baddies for the final season. I'm having a hard time seeing where the whole series is going to end up. I guess that's a good thing though.

As for the status quo:
the Lannisters just reinforced their power over the Throne. Stannis took out his own brother and then got beaten by the Lannister-Tyrell forces, which left him severely weakened. The fact that the Tyrells decided to back Joffrey after Renly gets killed changes the balance masively: the Lannisters finally have the support of one of the (if not THE) richest Houses in Westeros.
Plus, the Starks just lost Winterfell (and, as far as Catelyn and Robb are concerned, Bran and Rickon are dead, Arya is still missing, Sansa is still a hostage and Theon -though not a Stark, but their ward and Robb's best friend- betrayed them) so it's a huge setback they didn't anticipate.

And Jon has to go beyond the Wall as a spy. Considering a lot of his "brothers" have never really liked him, you can imagine how well they're gonna take this development.

About the wine: Dornishmen love Dornish wine, and people from the Reach (Tyrells) hate it. Same thing happens with the wine from the Reach - loved by the locals, hated by the Dornishmen. It's a regional pride thing, and also because the Tyrells (Reach) and the Martells (Dorne) are ancient rivals.

I think generally speaking, Dornish is shorthand for strong red wine, and Arbor (which is part of The Reach) is good, white wine. Arbor Gold is for refined people who have their shit together, Dornish Red is for dangerous people and/or proper alcoholics.

[EDIT: after looking it up, there seems to be plenty of reference to Arbor Red, too... like the Arbor Gold, it's considered really really good wine. For show purposes, Cercei and Tyrion are probably prime examples of people who prefer Dornish Red.]

And practical people, like those in the north, drink beer instead. As do the smallfolk. In fact, Commander Mormont at one point has beer with his breakfast (both in the book and in the show).

And in Essos, they have their own wines and stuff. I think the Dothraki drink fermented horse milk or some such. I think Qarth also drinks some crazy shit. There is occasionally mention of imported Westerosi wines, though.

Lulubop

Dude, what the hell?

S4:
I'm happy I finished the episode last night before reading that spoiler. That said,
going into watching this I assumed Joffrey had a much bigger role than he ultimately did. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because I had always seen disdain for him on social media, or meme images. I thought he'd be the primary antagonist throughout the series, growing more mad as it progressed. Needless to say I was pretty shocked when dropped dead.

Lulubop

Another question

Did they replace the actor who played the Mountain as well? Maybe it was the full beard but I seemed to remember him looking a bit older and not as stocky.

Pachimari

S02E04
Phew, Melisandre is something else hah! Didn't expect that stomach underneath her robes.

I'm kind of hoping Renly gets to the throne, although nothing he's done makes me wanna cheer on him. But he have one beautiful lady by his side.

Altazor

Another question

Did they replace the actor who played the Mountain as well? Maybe it was the full beard but I seemed to remember him looking a bit older and not as stocky.

yup. Twice, in fact.

S02E04
Phew, Melisandre is something else hah! Didn't expect that stomach underneath her robes.

*laughs*

I won't say why, though. But those who are up-to-date with the series will probably know why ;)

Another question

Yes, he's been played by three different actors at this point. Conan Stevens played him in Season 1, Ian Whyte played him in Season 2, and Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson played him after that. Conan was a big, burly, mean looking dude. Ian Whyte was tall but super-lean. Hapthor is built like a brick shithouse. So there's a definite shift to the character based on the actor portraying him.

Altazor

Yes, he's been played by three different actors at this point. Conan Stevens played him in Season 1, Ian Whyte played him in Season 2, and Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson played him after that. Conan was a big, burly, mean looking dude. Ian Whyte was tall but super-lean. Hapthor is built like a brick shithouse. So there's a definite shift to the character based on the actor portraying him.

Honestly, I think
the ideal Mountain would be a mixture of the three actors: Stevens' mean face (literally, the man looked scary as fuck when scowling) and demeanor, Whyte's dark voice and height, and Björnsson's overall build.

Honestly, I think
the ideal Mountain would be a mixture of the three actors: Stevens' mean face (literally, the man looked scary as fuck when scowling) and demeanor, Whyte's dark voice and height, and Björnsson's overall build.

I would've just stuck with Stevens, personally. Dude had the intimidation factor down. Bjornsson is giant, but he also looks like an overgrown kid. Whyte was basically non-existent. When Conan beheads a horse, you think "that probably wasn't even in the script, this dude is just fucking nuts." That's a Mountain I can get behind.

Lulubop

I would've just stuck with Stevens, personally. Dude had the intimidation factor down. Bjornsson is giant, but he also looks like an overgrown kid. Whyte was basically non-existent. When Conan beheads a horse, you think "that probably wasn't even in the script, this dude is just fucking nuts." That's a Mountain I can get behind.

Yea, and plus dude looks younger than his younger brother. They look nothing alike actually, unlike him and the first dude.

and in the end, he didn't even appear there. Replaced by a CGI goblin portrayed by a different actor.

That sucks. He was clearly the best. The S2 actor was especially bad as a recast. From this guy:

jeresasean-great-warrior-417b2d7.jpg

rLYX62H.png

To this guy:

Gregor_Viewer%27s_Guide.jpg

gameianwhyte.jpeg

... I mean, that's just a botched recast.

Pachimari

What the hell. Just as I had pledged my allegiance to
Renly Baratheon
they mess with me.

I'm not gonna cheer on any king no longer. I will just fight side by side with Arya. She seems so cool anyway.

Altazor

What the hell. Just as I had pledged my allegiance to
Renly Baratheon
they mess with me.

I'm not gonna cheer on any king no longer. I will just fight side by side with Arya. She seems so cool anyway.

LOL yeah. This show (or should I say, the books) has a tendency to mess with you. I remember the
THEY KILLED MY NIGGA NED, MAN!
video after "Baelor" from Season 1... I think many of us felt the same way at that point, heh.

I'm sorry I haven't really been following this thread but I just jumped to the last page and read that you watched Blackwater on your phone. And I must voice my disapproval.

Hope you are enjoying your first watch overall though.

pablito

I'm caught up on the show but I'm doing a rewatch while doing chores. Fun stuff. I'm up to s1e4 I think.

First Mountain best Mountain.

edit: I don't really like season 2 that much. My least favorite actually. General s2 spoilers
Dany's story is the most boring in this season for me. I hated Qarth. And Battle of Blackwater is probably my least favorite big battle that they do, aside from "fuck the king." Based Hound.

I'm sorry I haven't really been following this thread but I just jumped to the last page and read that you watched Blackwater on your phone. And I must voice my disapproval.

Hope you are enjoying your first watch overall though.
Haha, I'm not on a cable subscription and I don't have Apple TV so it's either my phone, the MacBook, or the iPad. Not ideal I know.

Lulubop

I'm caught up on the show but I'm doing a rewatch while doing chores. Fun stuff. I'm up to s1e4 I think.

First Mountain best Mountain.

edit: I don't really like season 2 that much. My least favorite actually. General s2 spoilers
Dany's story is the most boring in this season for me. I hated Qarth. And Battle of Blackwater is probably my least favorite big battle that they do, aside from "fuck the king." Based Hound.

I'm finishing up S4 right now and I think 3 has been the weakest,
I think it was the low point with Dany's story, the stuff with the Wall was disappointing and everything going on at King's Landing wasn't that interesting, it ended strong however. I liked watching Tyrion in S2 trying to outwit his sister and keep Joffrey in-check. The war front stuff wasn't bad either, and Arya Stark was great. She's still my favorite character.

S4-8:
I wasn't ready for the end of that fight, poor guy.

Violet_0

Banned
oh boy, you'll love S5, then
it's sort of amazing that I could type this without making a
bad pussy
reference

pablito

I'm finishing up S4 right now and I think 3 has been the weakest,
I think it was the low point with Dany's story, the stuff with the Wall was disappointing and everything going on at King's Landing wasn't that interesting, it ended strong however. I liked watching Tyrion in S2 trying to outwit his sister and keep Joffrey in-check. The war front stuff wasn't bad either, and Arya Stark was great. She's still my favorite character.

S4-8:
I wasn't ready for the end of that fight, poor guy.

I'll see how I feel about it when I get through my rewatch.

And I just remembered season 5. General s5 spoilers
I don't hate it as much as most, but there are some infuriating decisions they made in the season for sure.

Lulubop

Since I hang around a lot of people who have followed the show, I remember the reception to S5 being not too hot. Curious to see.

Altazor

oh boy, you'll love S5, then
it's sort of amazing that I could type this without making a
bad pussy
reference

oh god

*having war flashbacks*

Since I hang around a lot of people who have followed the show, I remember the reception to S5 being not too hot. Curious to see.

yeah it's... not so good, actually.
A couple of character assassinations, a subplot that ends up being useless, some very bad lines and baffling moments... definitely not one of the show's better seasons. At least it gave us one hell of an episode, though (Ep. 9) - that one was heads and shoulders above the rest.

Pachimari

I'm about to start S02E07 and hnng at all the things that's happening. It's fast paced, and damn there's a lot of nudity/sex on this show lol. I really like Talisa, she's so pretty.

Also, fuck Theon.

I'm really enjoying Season 2 so far. So many things are in play, and stuff is happening, and I don't think I have any trouble following any of the plots. I freaking love that Daenerys
lost her fucking dragons hahaha
, that entitled girl. She haven't even been to Westeros fuck me man. I lost it when she said she haven't been there since she was a baby. Well, how the hell would you expect a man to give up his ships for your dreams.

I can actually follow the map on the HBO Viewer's Guide without any VPN so that's nice at least. I go to check which location I've been at after an episode.

Just started rewatching the show myself. It's definitely a show that lends itself to that, given how dense and hard to follow it can be if you're not familiar with the source material. I feel like it's really declined in the aspects that made me enjoy the earlier seasons, so it's good to get back to the classic King's Landing intrigue that made the show so compelling.

Also, glad to see OP has the correct opinion on Danaerys.

Pachimari

I'm up to S02E09 and now that Theon Greyjoy has
taken over Winterfeld and announced the death of the Stark boys by burning and hanging them
does he believe this to be the case ? Or does himself know that
these boys aren't the Stark boys
?

Altazor

I'm up to S02E09 and now that Theon Greyjoy has
taken over Winterfeld and announced the death of the Stark boys by burning and hanging them
does he believe this to be the case ? Or does himself know that
these boys aren't the Stark boys
?

He knows and
he's betting on the rest of Winterfell believing the lie and, thus, break their resistance.

Pachimari

Whoaaa at S02E09!

Tyrion Lannister
getting cut in his face, I was almost afraid to see him go there! And whoa at that ending, that it turned out that Tywin Lannister had overthrown Stannis' invasion.
How the hell did he do that!?

I wonder what Cersei wanted to do with that
liquid she was prepared to feed her son. Like, was it a poison to kill him so he didn't have to live through the horrible nightmare playing out in front of them? I can't remember what 1 drop, 3 drops or even what 10 drops does
?

Top Bottom