• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's watch/rewatch Game Of Thrones together from the start

Jeff6851

I've been on a rewatch and just finished S4E6 last night. I've caught so many more details having seen the entire show. I also didn't pay much attention in season 2 my first time through so I finally understood the whole Theon thing.

Macka

Oh, I started rewatching the show last week as well. Just about to watch S02E06.

I knew the show had regressed, but it's honestly pretty eye-opening to see how much better these early seasons are. The way that storylines build and become intertwined in organic ways is so refreshing compared to whatever the hell has been happening since Season 5. It used to be that characters' decisions drove the plot. Now, the plot drives characters' decisions. Anyway, random thoughts:

• Yoren was a great character that I'd mostly forgotten. He had several fantastic scenes with Tyrion, Ned and Arya, and was just an all-around badass.
  • I forgot how enjoyable Daenerys' story was at this point. She's just been granted entry into Quarth, and is a great underdog figure.
  • I'm enjoying Sansa's scenes a lot more on this rewatch than I've done before. Her situation is so fucked up.
  • Theon is such a wanker, and his storyline is very dull. Great actor though.
  • Tyrion as Hand of the King is pure gold. Loved his early test for Pycelle, Littlefinger and Varys with his plans for marrying off Myrcella.
  • Bronn is a never ending supply of amazing quotes. When Tyrion says that the Eyrie is impregnable, Bronn replies "give me ten good men and some climbing gear. I'd impregnate the bitch."
Sure I get that, it just seems like a waste of breath when we've already seen that Cersei defied the former king's direct order in terms of who should hold power. It's not a believable scenario that those baby's they killed in the brothel would ever be a threat to Joffrey. With so much going on with so many characters I question a lot of decisions they make on what makes it on to the screen.
Obviously I'm late to this, but I didn't see anyone else mention it in the thread -
it was Joffrey who ordered that all of the bastard children and babies be murdered. Tyrion had a scene where he criticized Cersei for the decision, before she admitted that Joffrey had made the order without consulting her.

Season 3 Overall Thoughts
I was expecting more of the White Walkers this season after the tease/reveal at the end of Season 2. They are obviously presented as a huge threat but they don't show them as much as I was expecting.

Speaking of White Walkers, I never expecting Sam to be such a big part of this series. It's refreshing to have someone with a kind/gentle heart in the mix with all these horrible people.

Seems like there is a pattern where Episode 9 is the climax and Episode 10 is just wrapping things up neatly and teasing the next season.

Daenerys' storyline has hit a lowpoint for me. The first season was interesting, the second season had its moments, this season it was just her getting whatever she wanted with ease. Hopefully the next season throws her a couple legitimate challenges.

Not sure where Brienne goes from here. Part of me wonders if she'll eventually end up with Daenerys as well because she can't really serve anyone in Westeros.

Of all the people who have gotten killed why is Theon still alive. However bad Daenerys' storyline is, atleast there is a potential for something interesting to happen going forward. This is just a dead end that I don't care about.

After this Richard Madden moved on to that Medici show on Netflix which I also liked a lot. The portrayal of the two characters is quite similar I'd say.

Last thing on my mind is with the increasing role for Jon Snow in the Night's Watch I'm thinking back to Season 1 when Jon's mother is mentioned a couple times. Ned won't tell the king who she is and then tells Jon they will discuss it the next time they meet. Maybe she isn't some whore in a tavern. Maybe someone of importance. But who?

Obviously I'm late to this, but I didn't see anyone else mention it in the thread -
it was Joffrey who ordered that all of the bastard children and babies be murdered. Tyrion had a scene where he criticized Cersei for the decision, before she admitted that Joffrey had made the order without consulting her.

Definitely seem likes
a Joffrey move. Bloodthirsty bastard that he is. Just seemed unnecessary at the time because the Lannisters already had such a tight control on King's Landing.

Thanks for marking your spoilers :)

Season 4 Episode 1

Officially past the halfway point!
Have to say I prefer the new actor for Daario Naharis. The old one was a little too "pretty".

I think I just realized the dragons are named after men in Daenerys' life.

Prince Oberyn is a cool character. Hope to see a lot of him. I'm guessing the Dornish are supposed to be Spaniards?

Joffrey is a dick. Hope he gets it soon.

So the Thenn's are cannibals? How do you unite a clan of cannibals with other groups? Has to be a real prickly situation.

I don't get these Night's Watch vows. It seems like everyone breaks them all the time. "The Wall would be manned by headless men"

Very happy to see Arya get Needle back.

Steejee

Daenerys' storyline has hit a lowpoint for me. The first season was interesting, the second season had its moments, this season it was just her getting whatever she wanted with ease. Hopefully the next season throws her a couple legitimate challenges.

Super mild book spoilers about Dany, purely for some reference
This is actually way, WAY worse in the books. Martin wrote himself into a corner with her in book 4 or 5 (forget which one has her, books 4 and 5 are basically one big book split up by viewpoints) and the show basically got sucked into that same vortex trying to at least stick to the basics of her book story. The moment the show passes the books for her story I went 'FUCKING FINALLY'

Super mild book spoilers about Dany, purely for some reference
This is actually way, WAY worse in the books. Martin wrote himself into a corner with her in book 4 or 5 (forget which one has her, books 4 and 5 are basically one big book split up by viewpoints) and the show basically got sucked into that same vortex trying to at least stick to the basics of her book story. The moment the show passes the books for her story I went 'FUCKING FINALLY'

So it actually gets better?

Season 4 Episode 2

"There is only one hell... the one we live in now". So what is Melisandre's GAF username?

This Theon storyline just keeps going huh?

I really want to know what this three eyed Raven is. I honestly have no clue what they will find. Assuming they even get "there".

Finally Joffrey gets it. That was long overdue. Hard to tell who poisoned him but if I had to guess it would be Olenna.

Pigeon pie sounds terrible.

No Daenerys this episode. Does that mean we get double Daenerys next one?

Season 4 Episode 3
"I don't care, I don't care". So whose fetish on GAF is it to have sex with your sister next to the corpse of your dead son who was born of incest and poisoned at their wedding?

I'm not sure what Littlefinger is aiming for saving Sansa. Does he want to be king of the North? He is already lord of Harrenhal, is that technically in the North?

I must admit, for about 30 seconds I believed the Hound and Arya were going to stay and work at that farm. I'm beginning to think Arya secretly likes the way the Hound does things.

Dumb move by Sam sending Gilly to that shitty town.

Dick waving contest in front of Mereen was mildly amusing. Of course Daenerys champion is 1000x better than the Mereen one. Winning the battle without even breaking a sweat.

The logic behind sending the party back to Craster's keep is a little strange. Even if the Wilding army doesn't know before hand that they don't have 1000 men. Surely as soon as they attack the Wall they will know how little defenses there are left. Additionally, why would the Wilding army care about 5-6 Night's Watch guys. They'd most likely just roll over them in a couple seconds.

Altazor

Season 4 Episode 3
"I don't care, I don't care". So whose fetish on GAF is it to have sex with your sister next to the corpse of your dead son who was born of incest and poisoned at their wedding?

oh man, the shitstorm that moment created. They basically took
a consensual scene in the books, which was still fucked up because it was next to Joffrey's corpse, but consensual
and made into
Jaime raping Cersei and shitting all over his character development throughout the last season-and-a-couple-of-episodes

I'll be somewhat vague and not enter into any specifics but I'd say that moment still echoes throughout the show in terms of characterization - what it did to the character and why the character's so different from the books from that point forward.

Season 3 Episode 2
Warg huh? The more this series goes on the more fantastical it gets.

James Cosmo is such a badass actor. Loved him in everything I've seen him in. Lots of great Scottish actors in this series.

Bran Stark really grew up between Series 2 and 3. It's quite a "stark" difference when binge watching heh.

More on him, so the raven does mean something? I had almost forgotten about it. Bran is a warg. I wonder if he was born that way or the fall had something to do with it.

Hard to care about Theon at this point after all the dumb stuff he did. Torture away guys.

Looks like Brienne's morals are going to be there undoing by letting the farmer go. No good deed goes unpunished in this world apparently.

I see Gendry had the same thoughts as me on why Arya wasted insta kills on lowly unimportant people.

No Daenerys is a good thing.
I'll never understand this perspective on Theon's torture.

oh man, the shitstorm that moment created. They basically took
a consensual scene in the books, which was still fucked up because it was next to Joffrey's corpse, but consensual
and made into
Jaime raping Cersei and shitting all over his character development throughout the last season-and-a-couple-of-episodes

I'll be somewhat vague and not enter into any specifics but I'd say that moment still echoes throughout the show in terms of characterization - what it did to the character and why the character's so different from the books from that point forward.

lol yeah I could definitely see that not going over well and yeah
he did/does seem to be turning a corner towards being more virtuous

I'll never understand this perspective on Theon's torture.

The way I see it, he directly killed multiple innocent people and indirectly killed a large number of others. Hard to feel sympathy for him even if its cringeworthy.

Jonboy

Season 1 Episode 2

I found Daenerys swap from being a raped prisoner to wanting to please her husband and seemingly love him is a little over the top. Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

I'm not sure I understand Jon Snow's motivation for going to the Wall. He seems to love his family and doesn't seem like he'll ever see them again. Unless I missed something.

The fight at the river sure upped the tension between the 2 families. Ned doesn't seem very capable of managing delicate political issues.

Interesting that Bran woke up. I wonder if he'll be too scared to tell what he saw.
Season 1 is great, but how they initially portrayed Drogo bothered me. In the books, he doesn't rape her. Without getting too specific, I'll just say he's very gentle with her and never moves forward without her giving him the ok to proceed. I mean, I'm not naive. It's pretty clear he expects sex on their wedding night and in all likelihood, he would've forced himself on her if she wasn't having it...but he didn't.

Anyway, that would at least help explain your question about why Dany starts trying to please him. In the show though, I agree it felt a little off.

Season 1 is great, but how they initially portrayed Drogo bothered me. In the books, he doesn't rape her. Without getting too specific, I'll just say he's very gentle with her and never moves forward without her giving him the ok to proceed. I mean, I'm not naive. It's pretty clear he expects sex on their wedding night and in all likelihood, he would've forced himself on her if she wasn't having it...but he didn't.

Anyway, that would at least help explain your question about why Dany starts trying to please him. In the show though, I agree it felt a little off.

That does make a lot more sense, although not much sense on why the show deviated from the book. Thanks!

lol yeah I could definitely see that not going over well and yeah
he did/does seem to be turning a corner towards being more virtuous

The way I see it, he directly killed multiple innocent people and indirectly killed a large number of others. Hard to feel sympathy for him even if its cringeworthy.
I guess, I'm just so anti-torture that I couldn't handle it.
It also doesn't help that I was incredibly sympathetic towards Theon in season two and loved his plotline which continued on to season 3.
Show Theon is also my favorite show character and book Theon is my favorite character in fiction though, so I'm very biased against anti-Theon rhetoric.
Of all the people who have gotten killed why is Theon still alive. However bad Daenerys' storyline is, atleast there is a potential for something interesting to happen going forward. This is just a dead end that I don't care about.
Is there a specific reason that you beleive he should be killed other than for the sake of ridding you of an arc you're not interested in?
Light but not really spoiler book information,
In the books Theon disappears for two books and we only get his initial torture (as he's still mistreated at that current timeline) through his memory and comments, the torture is worse in book and it's probably more effectively delivered/emotional/hard to experience that way, and the way he gets into the torturers grasp in Clash helps explain his situation more conpared to what they did on the show, people largely thought he was dead for two books even though we got hints that he wasn't and was actually being tortured (such as Robb being given a piece of Theon's skin and being like "wtf I don't want him tortured stop doing this", amongst a few others, but that isn't something you can do through television so they had to switch it up and show his initial torture like that which is all season 3.
I'm enjoying Sansa's scenes a lot more on this rewatch than I've done before. Her situation is so fucked up.
Theon is such a wanker, and his storyline is very dull. Great actor though.
Theon and dull don't really go in the same sentence to me, Season 2 Theon's plot has the most movement by far, most internal strife, and best acting on the show from Alfie Allen, so many memorable and incredible scenes.

I guess, I'm just so anti-torture that I couldn't handle it.
It also doesn't help that I was incredibly sympathetic towards Theon in season two and loved his plotline which continued on to season 3.
Show Theon is also my favorite show character and book Theon is my favorite character in fiction though, so I'm very biased against anti-Theon rhetoric.

Is there a specific reason that you beleive he should be killed other than for the sake of ridding you of an arc you're not interested in?
Light but not really spoiler book information,
In the books Theon disappears for two books and we only get his initial torture (as he's still mistreated at that current timeline) through his memory and comments, the torture is worse in book and it's probably more effectively delivered/emotional/hard to experience that way, and the way he gets into the torturers grasp in Clash helps explain his situation more conpared to what they did on the show, people largely thought he was dead for two books even though we got hints that he wasn't and was actually being tortured (such as Robb being given a piece of Theon's skin and being like "wtf I don't want him tortured stop doing this", amongst a few others, but that isn't something you can do through television so they had to switch it up and show his initial torture like that which is all season 3.
I'm not pro-torture or anything. The actual torture scenes are pretty brutal and I'd rather just not hear about it at all

I liked Theon's arc up until he went off the deep end in Winterfell. I'd like to believe this is going somewhere in later seasons, it just seems like wasted time with so much else going on elsewhere.

Thanks for the insight in to the book, its always interesting to hear how the adaptation differs from the source material

Altazor

The thing with Theon is, imho, that (series spoilers up until S4/vague book spoilers)
he's such a pathetic/sad character that you end up feeling for him. He's a tryhard kid, an annoying one - but that's because he was too soft and sensitive for his own culture/family, and too much of a dickhead for his foster culture/family. He feels abandoned, displaced, stuck between two places and not fitting any of them. He was given up by his dickhead of a father as punishment for a needless war he started, and that gave him severe abandonment issues. He grew up with the Starks and Ned (being the good guy that he was) tried to raise him as well as he could, and he became Robb's best friend - but he always knew (and sometimes, he was reminded of the fact) that he didn't belong there. He wasn't a Stark, he was their ward. His prisoner, even. Not a northener, just an outsider among them. And so he craved belonging and acceptance, not knowing that his foster family (especially Robb and possibly Ned, being the good guy that he was) really cared for him.
So the acceptance and belonging he craved was his culture's, his family's, his father's. But he got absolutely none - and even worse, his dickhead of a father thought he came back even worse than before, completely divorced from the Iron Island way of life, so he really had no time for him. Ababdonment issues getting worse, "how come he don't want me man?" and all that shit.

So he made a huge, reckless, obvious and horrible mistake: he betrayed the family he had (and didn't think he had) for the family he wanted (and never knew he couldn't and wouldn't have, not in the way he imagined). He thought that by betraying the Starks and taking the North he would gain his father's actual approval - but Theon, being the tryhard asshole with a soft inside that he is, made a complete mess of it and came up even worse than before. Balon went from "don't bother me, kid" to "YOU'RE NO SON OF MINE" in record speed. It's obvious in hindsight, that we wasn't going to convince the father that never cared for him of his own worth, that he wasn't going to get attention or approval or affection from that man - but he was so overwhelmed by returning to his homeland, his roots, that he thought he had the actual chance of reconnecting with everything he lost when his father gave him away. Poor Theon didn't know the odds were always, from day fucking 1, against him. He was never going to win.

Because he was too soft to be an efficient leader/commander. Too nervous and indecisive to be an actual strategist. Too much of an outsider in each world to really "fit" in either. So he was always going to lose, either by his own men betraying him -which happened in the series- or by other Northern houses sensing and exploiting his weakness.
And he paid for that mistake - he paid for betraying the one family, the one guy that really cared for him, and he paid dearly. He realized that too late, however - just when he fell into the hands of one of Westeros' most deranged individuals. So... punishment? He deserved it, totally. But actual, continued, unrelenting physical and mental torture? A bit too much, IMHO. Executing him in public would've been Ned/Robb's idea of punishment that fit the crime...

but Ramsay Snow had different plans for him.

The thing with Theon is, imho, that (series spoilers up until S4/vague book spoilers)
he's such a pathetic/sad character that you end up feeling for him. He's a tryhard kid, an annoying one - but that's because he was too soft and sensitive for his own culture/family, and too much of a dickhead for his foster culture/family. He feels abandoned, displaced, stuck between two places and not fitting any of them. He was given up by his dickhead of a father as punishment for a needless war he started, and that gave him severe abandonment issues. He grew up with the Starks and Ned (being the good guy that he was) tried to raise him as well as he could, and he became Robb's best friend - but he always knew (and sometimes, he was reminded of the fact) that he didn't belong there. He wasn't a Stark, he was their ward. His prisoner, even. Not a northener, just an outsider among them. And so he craved belonging and acceptance, not knowing that his foster family (especially Robb and possibly Ned, being the good guy that he was) really cared for him.
So the acceptance and belonging he craved was his culture's, his family's, his father's. But he got absolutely none - and even worse, his dickhead of a father thought he came back even worse than before, completely divorced from the Iron Island way of life, so he really had no time for him. Ababdonment issues getting worse, "how come he don't want me man?" and all that shit.

So he made a huge, reckless, obvious and horrible mistake: he betrayed the family he had (and didn't think he had) for the family he wanted (and never knew he couldn't and wouldn't have, not in the way he imagined). He thought that by betraying the Starks and taking the North he would gain his father's actual approval - but Theon, being the tryhard asshole with a soft inside that he is, made a complete mess of it and came up even worse than before. Balon went from "don't bother me, kid" to "YOU'RE NO SON OF MINE" in record speed. It's obvious in hindsight, that we wasn't going to convince the father that never cared for him of his own worth, that he wasn't going to get attention or approval or affection from that man - but he was so overwhelmed by returning to his homeland, his roots, that he thought he had the actual chance of reconnecting with everything he lost when his father gave him away. Poor Theon didn't know the odds were always, from day fucking 1, against him. He was never going to win.

Because he was too soft to be an efficient leader/commander. Too nervous and indecisive to be an actual strategist. Too much of an outsider in each world to really "fit" in either. So he was always going to lose, either by his own men betraying him -which happened in the series- or by other Northern houses sensing and exploiting his weakness.
And he paid for that mistake - he paid for betraying the one family, the one guy that really cared for him, and he paid dearly. He realized that too late, however - just when he fell into the hands of one of Westeros' most deranged individuals. So... punishment? He deserved it, totally. But actual, continued, unrelenting physical and mental torture? A bit too much, IMHO. Executing him in public would've been Ned/Robb's idea of punishment that fit the crime...

but Ramsay Snow had different plans for him.

I get it,
you are clearly supposed to feel bad for him. I'm just not at the point where I can excuse his actions. Hopefully he does something to redeem himself

Season 4 Episode 4
I definitely cracked a smile when Brienne named her sword "Oathkeeper". Very cool.

Not a smart move on Daenerys' part to mess with hundreds of rich people. Let's see if her actions actually have consequences for once. I'm not that optimistic.

Still not sure of Littlefinger's motives. And who are his "new friends" who wanted Joffrey dead? The Iron Bank maybe?

Will some of the Stark kids actually reunite? Or will it be another fakeout?

So Crasters sons are turned in to White Walkers? Or do the blue eyes just mean undead? Not sure how that works yet.

Season 4 Episode 5
Doesn't feel like a ton happened this episode.

So Tommen is the new king. I don't really see him lasting long because he is so weak but we shall see.

Looks like it was another near miss on the Stark's reuniting. Although I guess I can see the logic Jojen was using about Bran being stopped by Jon.

Some actual trouble for Daenerys. Maybe things will pick up. I'm guessing she is going to stay in Mereen for awhile now since she said she wants to "rule".

Season 4 Episode 4
I definitely cracked a smile when Brienne named her sword "Oathkeeper". Very cool.

Not a smart move on Daenerys' part to mess with hundreds of rich people. Let's see if her actions actually have consequences for once. I'm not that optimistic.

Still not sure of Littlefinger's motives. And who are his "new friends" who wanted Joffrey dead? The Iron Bank maybe?

Will some of the Stark kids actually reunite? Or will it be another fakeout?

So Crasters sons are turned in to White Walkers? Or do the blue eyes just mean undead? Not sure how that works yet.

blue eyes = white walkers

random dead people who turn back to life = wights

It's been a while since s4, but I'm pretty sure you get 2 big hints on that episode on who his new friends are.. actually maybe 3. :p

Season 4 Episode 6

Yara's raid on the Dreadfort was kind of dumb. Why not just take Theon by force?

What are Shae's motives for betraying Tyrion? Is it simple anger out of being sent away? I didn't expect her to show up.

More on the trial, the interaction between Tyrion and Varys was interesting. Perhaps he can help him somehow.

OMG Mark Gatiss is on this show? Man with so many characters they really dug out everyone in Europe for this. Hard to unsee Mycroft Holmes. Although I can't say the portrayal of Mycroft and the Tycho is that different.

Looks like the dragons are becoming a problem for Daenerys. She is not getting rid of them because that is the key to her power.

Season 4 Episode 7

So Oberyn is going to be Tyrion's champion? I never really got this trial by combat thing. Kind of silly but I guess we get some good action scenes. Everything worked out nicely for Oberyn getting to face the man who murdered members of his family.

Jon Snow is right about the tunnel. I don't see why that even exists in the first place. It's a huge vulnerability. Just use a lift system on the other side of the wall like it has on the south side.

Hey good ol' Hot Pie is back. Looks like he thinned out a little bit too.

What was that kiss between Sansa and Littlefinger. It doesn't seem like their is actually affection on either side.

Good riddance to Lysa, was a really grating character. I wonder if that was Littlefingers plan all along but her craziness just forced his hand sooner than he intended.

Season 4 Episode 8
Ygritte sparing Gilly was great. It goes a long way to humanizing the wildlings in general. Well the non-cannibal ones atleast.

So I'm guessing the big budget episode is the defense/attack on Castle Black. Should be good as it's been building all season.

Grey Worm creeping on Missandei, heh. Not that I have any experience with being castrated but would you still be sexually attracted to people?

Daenerys sending away Jorah was dumb. Perhaps she is getting a little paranoid?

Sansa without red hair is some bullshit.

Nice little twist with the fight between Oberyn and The Mountain. I was never expecting Oberyn to win but I almost believed it until he was gloating over him. Pretty brutal way to go with your head crushed like a grape.

I don't expect Tyrion to be executed so I'll be interested to see how he gets out of it and what he does next.

Season 4 Episode 7

So Oberyn is going to be Tyrion's champion? I never really got this trial by combat thing. Kind of silly but I guess we get some good action scenes. Everything worked out nicely for Oberyn getting to face the man who murdered members of his family.

Jon Snow is right about the tunnel. I don't see why that even exists in the first place. It's a huge vulnerability. Just use a lift system on the other side of the wall like it has on the south side.

Hey good ol' Hot Pie is back. Looks like he thinned out a little bit too.

What was that kiss between Sansa and Littlefinger. It doesn't seem like their is actually affection on either side.

Good riddance to Lysa, was a really grating character. I wonder if that was Littlefingers plan all along but her craziness just forced his hand sooner than he intended.

LF is attracted to her. Since his only love (her mother) died, he chose the next best thing, the daughter obviously. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So he`s kind of a dad/lover kinda thing happening.. yeah. All kinds of fucking creepy.

Also spoiler within spoiler, Red Sansa makes a comeback in the future. <3

LF is attracted to her. Since his only love (her mother) died, he chose the next best thing, the daughter obviously. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯ So he`s kind of a dad/lover kinda thing happening.. yeah. All kinds of fucking creepy.

Also spoiler within spoiler, Red Sansa makes a comeback in the future. <3

I get some of those vibes but then he goes off and marries another woman. Or maybe he just cares slightly more about consolidating his power than her.

I get some of those vibes but then he goes off and marries another woman. Or maybe he just cares slightly more about consolidating his power than her.
The thing with Lifftlefinger is that he wants everything. Sansa. Vale. The North. Well, you get the gist. He would be the kind of guy that if he rules over the 7 Kingdoms, he would go to Essos next and take over that continent. And on, and on, and on.

Season 4 Episode 9

Great episode. Frankly blows the Battle of Blackwater away in terms of scale and execution. Giant riding a mammoth. I can get down with that.

Yes I watched it on my phone :)

I was sad to see Ygritte die. She was a great character but it seems like this was always the logical conclusion of her story arc.

Some of my favorite bits. The Scythe drop, the giant rushing the gate, the hammer to head of Tyr, and of course Ygritte's death scene.

Besides the big budget action stuff it is refreshing to have such a tight focused episode where the characters can really breathe. No 10+ cuts to people all over the world and we get 2 minutes of story from each of them.

Season 4 Episode 10
So Stannis shows up to save Jon Snow? An alliance between them could have potential in the next season.

The development of Tormund's character has been interesting to watch. He's become much more humanized as the series goes on.

Nice scene with Jon burning Ygritte's body.

Finally the reveal of the three eyed raven. Interesting design. I wonder how big of a part this will play in the story going forward. Possibly the key to beating the White Walkers?

Dragons killing innocent people seems like an inevitable conclusion. Chaining them up in a crypt or whatever isn't going to work long term.

Oh damn, Tyrion went off huh? I'll miss Tywin. Charles Dance put in an excellent performance.

The fight between Brienne and The Hound was pretty awesome. I wonder if he's actually dead. Usually in this show they are quick and clean with deaths.

Valar dohaeris indeed. Seems like a lot of major characters are shifting over to Essos for the next season. Makes sense I suppose as the Westeros stuff has been pretty well worn.

Violet_0

Banned
brace yourself for S5

btw, I appreciate you shitting on Dany all the time. It's a common sentiment I and many others share with you

eh,
she's 13 in the book when this happens. It might be less violent but it's still rape

Altazor

Glad to know you liked the last stretch of S4. Hell, I think the second half of S3 and pretty much all of S4 is peak GOT.

My personal opinion -which you might ignore, OP, and are free to not let it influence you- is that S5 was a huge disappointment except for one single episode. You'll probably guess which one you get to it.

As for a certain S4's shocking death
I was pissed off when I read that moment in the book. Fucking Oberyn should've gone for the kill instead of lowering his guard/gloating. And my fellow countryman Pedro Pascal did a wonderful job portraying him in the series, charismatic and suave but with an edge - despite him not looking exactly how the character was described in the book. He was definitely a fan favorite despite appearing for a single season.

Glad to know you liked the last stretch of S4. Hell, I think the second half of S3 and pretty much all of S4 is peak GOT.

My personal opinion -which you might ignore, OP, and are free to not let it influence you- is that S5 was a huge disappointment except for one single episode. You'll probably guess which one you get to it.

As for a certain S4's shocking death
I was pissed off when I read that moment in the book. Fucking Oberyn should've gone for the kill instead of lowering his guard/gloating. And my fellow countryman Pedro Pascal did a wonderful job portraying him in the series, charismatic and suave but with an edge - despite him not looking exactly how the character was described in the book. He was definitely a fan favorite despite appearing for a single season.

It's hard to rank the seasons with binge watching and blowing through so many episodes. It kind of blends together. It'll take awhile for me to decompress and figure that out I think.
Agreed that he was portrayed excellently. Great acting.
brace yourself for S5

btw, I appreciate you shitting on Dany all the time. It's a common sentiment I and many others share with you
/brofist

Season 4 Overall Thoughts
I'm very glad they killed off Joffrey early in this season. He was getting to be unbearable. I still think Olenna is behind the poisoning.

The Martells were a great addition to the show even if Oberyn died so quickly.

Loved the building up to the attack on the Wall as well as the actual attack. I kept wondering how they were going to get out of it alive.

Daenerys wasn't as bad as previous season, though still bad.

The Hound and Arya were fun to watch together. I'm looking forward to her "training" or whatever you want to call it once she reaches Bravos.

The 3 eyed raven thing is still pretty weird to me. I'm looking forward to that being expanded on.

Overall a great season. Hopefully season 5 isn't as bad as you guys are saying but we'll seen soon enough!

Side note, I just saw on the news that thing with Peter Dinklage telling people not to buy Huskies. I found out that he was born and raised right by where I'm from. Pretty cool, as he's by far my favorite part of the show.

Season 5 Episode 1
Kind of weird that they show this witch prophecy thing. It's like a weird spoiler. So all the rest of her children are going to die and Daenerys is going to be Queen.

I'm still confused, is The Vale its own kingdom? Is it like the North or Dorne? Their castle is the Eyrie?

Let's see where this Sons of the Harpy thing does. Finally a challenge to god mode Daenerys.

Horribly dumb move by Stannis to execute Mance. He could have allied with 100k soliders now he'll get nothing.

Season 4 Overall Thoughts
I'm very glad they killed off Joffrey early in this season. He was getting to be unbearable. I still think Olenna is behind the poisoning.
Err.. they show that mate. Like episode 4 or 5. I think you missed it, so I don't know if I should tell you or not. :S
Season 5 Episode 1
Kind of weird that they show this witch prophecy thing. It's like a weird spoiler. So all the rest of her children are going to die and Daenerys is going to be Queen.

I'm still confused, is The Vale its own kingdom? Is it like the North or Dorne? Their castle is the Eyrie?

Let's see where this Sons of the Harpy thing does. Finally a challenge to god mode Daenerys.

Horribly dumb move by Stannis to execute Mance. He could have allied with 100k soliders now he'll get nothing.

Prophecy thing is pretty important. Haven't read the books, but GRIMM adds a ton of phrophies and things of that nature that gets people speculating that aren't all in the show or yet or expanded as much. As for queen more beautiful than her, it's not just Danny. ;) Margaery and Sansa are options as well.

EDIT: No Bran for this whole season, keep it in mind

Season 5 Episode 1

The Vale is one of the major 7 houses that makes up Westeros.

1. Stark of Winterfell, rulers of The North
  2. Tully of Riverrun, rulers of The Riverlands
  3. Arryn of the Eyrie, rulers of The Vale
  4. Lannister of Casterly Rock, rulers of The Westernlands
  5. Baratheon of Storm's End, rulers of The Stormlands
  6. Tyrell of Highgarden, rulers of The Reach
  7. Martell of Sunspear, rulers of Dorne

And you've also got the Greyjoys who rule over the Iron Islands, but aren't aligned with any of the seven houses. Although you could count them as part of the North since Stark sort of keeps them in check after the last uprising which was quickly put down by Robert and Ned.

Err.. they show that mate. Like episode 4 or 5. I think you missed it, so I don't know if I should tell you or not. :S

Prophecy thing is pretty important. Haven't read the books, but GRIMM adds a ton of phrophies and things of that nature that gets people speculating that aren't all in the show or yet or expanded as much. As for queen more beautiful than her, it's not just Danny. ;) Margaery and Sansa are options as well.

Hm they do show it? I guess I'll have to go back and check it out.
The Vale is one of the major 7 houses that makes up Westeros.

1. Stark of Winterfell, rulers of The North
  2. Tully of Riverrun, rulers of The Riverlands
  3. Arryn of the Eyrie, rulers of The Vale
  4. Lannister of Casterly Rock, rulers of The Westernlands
  5. Baratheon of Storm's End, rulers of The Stormlands
  6. Tyrell of Highgarden, rulers of The Reach
  7. Martell of Sunspear, rulers of Dorne

And you've also got the Greyjoys who rule over the Iron Islands, but aren't aligned with any of the seven houses. Although you could count them as part of the North since Stark sort of keeps them in check after the last uprising which was quickly put down by Robert and Ned.

Thanks for the extra info. I know all the houses but sometimes its hard (for me anyway) to figure out which is actually a "kingdom"

Neece

Drogo rapes her in the books too. Similar to how it is in the show, mounted while she cries. Just not on her wedding night.

Season 5 Episode 2

Love that they chose to film at the Alcázar in Sevilla for the Water Gardens. One of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Hot as hell too.

Brienne just can't catch a break on this oath huh?

Jon is the new Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Things keep building up and up for him. I still wonder who his mother is.

I'm very interested in how Arya's training will pan out. Can she really learn the skills to kill everyone on her list?

Season 5 Episode 3
The Sparrows are becoming a serious force. This kind of popped out of nowhere.

So The Mountain is being turned in to some kind of Frankenstein's monster thing apparently.

I don't see the strategic reason for putting Sansa in Winterfell with the Boltons. They could easily kill her and what advantage is there in placating these traitors and their psycho son.

Damn the parallels between Jon and his father beheading a traitor are quite striking.

So Arya couldn't part with Needle? Doesn't seem like she will ever fully commit to this new life. Not that I can blame her.

Wasn't expecting Jorah to show up in that brothel. Funny that Jorah is kidnapping Tyrion to take him to the exact place he was going anyway. The only narrative reason I can think of for that to happen is because Tyrion is meant to save Jorah somehow. A bit too obvious maybe? We shall see.

Altazor

Season 5 Episode 3
I don't see the strategic reason for putting Sansa in Winterfell with the Boltons. They could easily kill her and what advantage is there in placating these traitors and their psycho son.

Damn the parallels between Jon and his father beheading a traitor are quite striking.

1- I don't think anybody does. Just... ugh.

2- Also, Robb
beheading Lord Karstark.

Violet_0

Banned
for what it's worth, S5 is when the show really started diverging from the books. A lot of the characters end up in entirely different places. If something doesn't make a lot of sense, chances are that you can blame the show writers for it

Getting Sansa married makes Boltons more legit since she's a Stark. Many would be under the #NorthRemembers for decades until they could get back at them, this can hold them off from doing anything crazy and stay in their lane.

1- I don't think anybody does. Just... ugh.

2- Also, Robb
beheading Lord Karstark.
Very true on #2
Getting Sansa married makes Boltons more legit since she's a Stark. Many would be under the #NorthRemembers for decades until they could get back at them, this can hold them off from doing anything crazy and stay in their lane.
Of course but why would Sansa do it?

Season 5 Episode 4
Not a smart move by Cersei putting these religious fanatics in control.

I wonder who is going to get Myrcella first. What a weird spelling by the way. I don't think they'd have Jaime come all this way and waste all this screen time just to not get there in time. So I'm guessing they'll get there before Ellaria gets her.

Looks like Tyrion thinks the same way I do. Why are you kidnapping me to the destination I was going anyway.

Sappy moment between Shireen and Stannis. Those usually mean bad things in this series. So at least one of them is going to get it soon right?

Damn those sons of the Harpy killing Barry. What a boss that dude was. Nice to see a somewhat competent nemesis for Daenerys though.

I've started a rewatch too. Made it through season one and a couple episodes into season 2. Just watching season one you can see the elements that made the show and books so popular. Like a breath of fresh air for the fantasy genre. Also so many people still alive!

I forgot how much a little shit Joffrey was. Man, Jack Gleeson plays him perfectly. Excellent combination of whiny and wimpy yet dangerous and unstable. And Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister, does anything else need to be said? The scenes in King's Landing really shine with all the players. You have Cersei and Tyrion and Littlefinger and Varys with all the wildcards like Joffrey thrown in. That's the Game at its best to me.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I've started a rewatch too. Made it through season one and a couple episodes into season 2. Just watching season one you can see the elements that made the show and books so popular. Like a breath of fresh air for the fantasy genre. Also so many people still alive!

I forgot how much a little shit Joffrey was. Man, Jack Gleeson plays him perfectly. Excellent combination of whiny and wimpy yet dangerous and unstable. And Charles Dance as Tywin Lannister, does anything else need to be said? The scenes in King's Landing really shine with all the players. You have Cersei and Tyrion and Littlefinger and Varys with all the wildcards like Joffrey thrown in. That's the Game at its best to me.

The scenes between Tywin and Arya in S2 are among the best in the entire show. To think those scenes don't even exist in the books, yet are so interesting and well written. It helps that both actors put on amazing performances of course.

Top Bottom