• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Gun Games Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns coming to Wii

Helznicht said:
Originally Posted by riceandbeans:
I like light-gun games like this, but just can't get into them on the Wii. The whole cursor shooting thing just doesn't feel the same and not as fun.

I agree. I like to get into them by looking down the barrel of the gun while shooting. As the pointer is not 1:1 on the screen (especially on big screen TVs, where this would be the coolest) it feels like your just moving your hand to move a target, not shooting a gun.

All of SEGA's lightgun game ports allow for calibrating the wiimote to act like an actual lightgun. You can turn off the cursors.

gunstarhero said:
Best news I got all day. :D

Just don't fuck it up like you did with Jambo.

Why oh why couldn't that have been a straight port instead of a remake with a different (and far less interesting) art-style? :(

Boney

Banned
I must be the only guy that doesn't know either of them. But I'm definately down for some real Lightgun shooting.

Helznicht said:
Sounds cool about the calibration, will have to rent one to see how I like it. Thanks!
works great in Ghost Squad, and even better in HOTD 2&3, and sorta good in HOTD: Overkill.

I will buy the hell outta this. I don't think for a second that Sega would release unvarnished ports of fifteen year old games, but hell, HOTD 2&3 might be their best selling non-Olympic based Sonic game this gen, so what do I know?

Retro

DeaconKnowledge said:
Lol, the girl on the right is like "fuck that".
0OoO0 said:
one of the girls is missing in the second pic
You two must have missed this when it popped up in the OT picture thread.

The girl on the right was heavy throughout high school and became a bookworm, thus she smarter than the others. She isn't moving because she knows the visual acuity of the Tyrannosaurus Rex is based on movement.

143qrdd.jpg

The girl is missing because she got eaten, why else would the redhead in the blue shirt look so scared?

Also, I thought this thread was going to involve Final Fantasy 8. Looks great though, since the local arcade closed up, I haven't been able to enjoy any decent light gun games.

sinseers

Better be 60fps. I forgave them with Ghost Squad and HOTD:Overkill, but no more. Do a true port or don't do it at all SEGA ;-(.

sinseers said:
Better be 60fps. I forgave them with Ghost Squad and HOTD:Overkill, but no more. Do a true port or don't do it at all SEGA ;-(.

Hmm, maybe that's due to Ghost Squad being a Chihiro arcade game, which is based on Xbox hardware.

What about HOD3 in the collection? That was also a Chihiro game.

sinseers

Hero of Legend said:
Hmm, maybe that's due to Ghost Squad being a Chihiro arcade game, which is based on Xbox hardware.

Was HOTD3 on Wii in 60fps? I haven't played it.

Hero of Legend said:

it twas, and ran perfectly well on the Wii, yes, even at 60 FPS.

I think Ghost Sqaud's (perfectly stable) 30 FPS was more in part to its developer, Polygon Magic did the coding, while Sega did HOTD 2&3 in house. Polygon Magic also did the Rambo arcade game, which doesn't look so hot, runs on a powerful chipset, and still chugs at times.

great game though. It plays like a way more macho Ghost Squad 2.

HyperZone<3 said:
it twas, and ran perfectly well on the Wii, yes, even at 60 FPS.

I think Ghost Sqaud's (perfectly stable) 30 FPS was more in part to its developer, Polygon Magic did the coding, while Sega did HOTD 2&3 in house. Polygon Magic also did the Rambo arcade game, which doesn't look so hot, runs on a powerful chipset, and still chugs at times.

great game though. It plays like a way more macho Ghost Squad 2.

Polygon Magic also did...

Sonic '06 PS3 *loud scream*

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
It's funny how this comes out when the PSN and XBLA ports of After Burner Climax both come out next week. Sega's on an arcade port kick lately. :D

wondermega

Wish, wish, wish they'd take all the old NES Zapper games and put them out on VC, or a disc release, something... I'd buy in 1 second.

Pretty tempting as I never got much chance to play either of these in the arcade...but...I just can't feel any of the railshooters anymore for the most part unless they've the meaty replay potential/variations that Ghost Squad on Wii has...or maybe gobs of Overkill style.

So...hoping SEGA infuses some of that into this and I'd almost certainly grab it

Question, is it true that HOD2&3 were both ported from PC? Supposedly X-Play says so, I just wanted to know.

Also, how close does Ghost Squad look compared to the Chihiro version outside of running in 30 frames as opposed to 60 frames apparently?

And do both (err, three? :p) games actually have perfectly preserved presentation and charm? Because the Sega Bass Fishing Wii port stupidly replaced the cheesy announcer, taking away a lot of the charm (I don't have the game, I just watched videos of both versions). :(

RedSwirl

basik said:
come on people we have to find this thing!!

1412khl.jpg

Namco, you need to follow up on Sega's lead.

Yeah I know I can get Time Crisis and Crisis Zone on the PS2, but all my TVs are LCD now and the Wii is pretty much the best solution for that. This Wii gun + Crisis Zone = most awesome shooter experience ever.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
These are great arcade games.. but without the jumbo cabinet with mounted turrets I really feel like this is going to lose something.

2ajynfq.jpg

This and screens (looks the same, except stretched to 16:9 for some odd reason) were found on a certain site, and has a date of August 24th for NA only for now.

The site likes posting scans, so I didn't want to link to the site just in case. The screens have the site's watermark on them.

LiK

So fucking awesome. I loved Gunblade NY in the arcades. Was able to beat it on one credit. I miss the big pulsating guns. I found an arcade machine in a movie theater last year and the guns didn't have force feedback. Not the same :(

Announced!

4558574792_983a7b1aed.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/segaamerica/sets/72157623820319585/

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/04/27/gunblade-ny-and-la-machineguns-announced/#more-4951

Sega said:
Today, we’re announcing the comeback of 2 classic SEGA arcade games in one package — Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns, exclusively on the Wii this fall.

Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns have been adapted from the original arcade machine games to make full use of the Wii controller. While interacting and shooting on the streets of New York and Los Angeles the Wii Zapper compatibility provides even more immersion for the players. Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns Arcade Hits Pack also contains new features such as the Chain Combo System which enables even higher scores, and the Unlockable Weapon Toggle which uses game ranking to unlock hidden extras such as wide shot, rapid fire and heavy shot.

True to the original arcade games, Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns is set in the airspace above some of the United States’ most well-known locations. Players will be able to combat android invaders in New York City with their Gunblade helicopter gunship or take their flying gunship to battle a new force of android enemies in some of America’s most well known locales such as Los Angeles, Alcatraz, Yosemite and Las Vegas.

Just in case you need a refresher on these games, see the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMueOrlK04

This looks so bad (graphically) but so fun :( It kinda reminds me of Sin & Punishment...
Will this come out in PAL land? I hope this paves the way for Chicago Rocket Launcher or something.

geebee

Banned
GoutPatrol said:
I will definitely buy this. I'm all up for disks full of old arcade ports, I'm just a sucker for it.
Seriously, nothing beats enjoying arcade classics at home. :D Definitely getting this the day it comes out.

cacildo

Hero of Legend said:
I'm glad they didn't try enhancing the graphics, so that they're perfectly preserved for full Arcade Nostalgia. :D

Yeah, but i think it would be a better idea to release it as Virtual Console.

You know, i fear that the expanded audience will buy this as their 8th rails shooter bought by mistake..

Like "Ok, i got a wii game! Cmon, this one is a sure hit, there´s guns, and action... and i bet that in this one i can control my legs and walk to wherever i want!!!!! Ok, here we go.... lets pop this disk right here and.... press + to start... here we go..... OH NO! IM ON RAILS AGAINNN NOOOOOO!!!!"

Also, adding insult to the injury, expanded audience will say "Jesus christ? Isnt enough that i simply cant control where im going, should i bear this terrible graphics too? Why did i got this Wii anyway?"

They´re not terrible graphics, they´re just 1995 graphics, its retro fun. Of course its an rails game, since its an arcade port, but....
Go ahead and try to explain that to the expanded audience.....

Easy_D

never left the stone age
cacildo said:
Yeah, but i think it would be a better idea to release it as Virtual Console.

You know, i fear that the expanded audience will buy this as their 8th rails shooter bought by mistake..

Like "Ok, i got a wii game! Cmon, this one is a sure hit, there´s guns, and action... and i bet that in this one i can control my legs and walk to wherever i want!!!!! Ok, here we go.... lets pop this disk right here and.... press + to start... here we go..... OH NO! IM ON RAILS AGAINNN NOOOOOO!!!!"

Also, adding insult to the injury, expanded audience will say "Jesus christ? Isnt enough that i simply cant control where im going, should i bear this terrible graphics too? Why did i got this Wii anyway?"

They´re not terrible graphics, they´re just 1995 graphics, its retro fun. Of course its an rails game, since its an arcade port, but....
Go ahead and try to explain that to the expanded audience.....
Well, the box art clearly states "Arcade Hits Pack

Edit: And also has two arcade cabinets as the cover.

Edit 2: Are you being sarcastic? :lol

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OMG how did I miss this thread the first time around? SPANUUUUUUUUUD

seriously I was getting nervous about the lack of lightgun releases on Wii this year but this makes up for it and now I know what I'm buying this August YES

Guys, either Spencer of Siliconera's BS us...

Or this game has Worldwide Online Leaderboards! :O

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/2...neguns-arcade-hits-pack-blasts-off-in-august/

OK, this isn’t entirely a no-frills package. Sega refined the Wii version with force feedback, Zapper support, and online leaderboards. Make that worldwide online leaderboards, a hint that Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns Arcade Hits will be released in other regions. North America gets the compilation this August.

I want to be excited for this, but I think Light Gun shooters are just not the same. They worked back THEN, but they just end up...boring now after 5 minutes.

I keep trying to force myself back.

I bought Ghost Squad for Wii, and sometimes unpack the Dreamcast for some HotD 2 or Confidential Mission action, but after 5 minutes or so I just get bored.

LGS' evolved into FPS' and I think we're better off for it.

Tain

I want to be excited for this, but I think Light Gun shooters are just not the same. They worked back THEN, but they just end up...boring now after 5 minutes.

I bought Ghost Squad for Wii, and sometimes unpack the Dreamcast for some HotD 2 or Confidential Mission action, but after 5 minutes or so I just get bored.

single player fpses aren't ever really hard tho

light gun shooters aren't my favorite kind of arcade game, but i still had fun almost clearing virtua cop over the course of a week a month or two ago

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Play some HotD Overkill and repent for your foolish ways, muthafucker!

Tain

I've yet to really play a good console light gun game. It's not like shooters or beat 'em ups where there are a handful of home-exclusive games that are at least pretty playable even though they're not the best of the best.

Overkill reinforced this.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tain said:
I've yet to really play a good console light gun game. It's not like shooters or beat 'em ups where there are a handful of home-exclusive games that are at least pretty playable even though they're not the best of the best.

this post makes no sense. Overkill is awesome and very, um, "playable."

also see Dead Space: Extraction

Tain said:

True that. Overkill? More like Overrated.

*high fives self*

Top Bottom