• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Gun Games Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns coming to Wii

Boerseun

Banned
ReXXXSoprano said:
This right here is a must have for the Wii.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virtua Cop 1 & 2 hit in a similar package later on.

Virtua Cop 3 will just have to ported over to the PS3 unless the 360 gets a Light Gun. Maybe the Wii could handle it no problems but who knows.

Virtua Cop 3 runs on the same Chihiro arcade hardware as The House of the Dead 3 and Ghost Squad, both of which were successfully ported to Wii.

Cypher

Just picked this up and finished both games, so here's my impressions:

Both games in this hits pack are serviceable ports and close approximations of their Model 2 and Model 3 arcade counterparts. While they obviously won't replicate the arcade "experience" (extreme vibrations of the assault guns, the loud blaring music and explosions, etc.) at home, the gameplay is intact by simply pointing the Wii Remote at the screen and holding A or B to shoot.

Both games have been re-sized for 16:9 widescreen users, BUT be aware the actual TARGETING AREA for the reticule won't go beyond the far left and far right margins in order to comply to the original arcade ratios. Conversely, the enemies in the games won't aim at you in these areas. This is a fairness issue. (This is even stated in the manual)

Pro and Cons of each:

Gunblade N.Y.: Special Air Assault Force

Pros:

* Smooth, fast framerate.
* Audio dialogue goes through Wii Remote speaker.
* Rank and extra armaments unlocked through repeat play of entire game.
* Infinite continues to exploit.

Cons:

* Lower graphic textures and vibrancy. Some areas really look plain.
* Audio lacks "punch" compared to arcade.
* Just like the arcade, only 4 Missions which means can be blazed through in 15 minutes.

L.A. Machinguns: Rage of the Machines

Pros:

* Rank and extra armaments unlocked through repeat play of entire game.
* Infinite continues to exploit.

Cons:

* Framerate not fast as arcade, and even stutters. In effect, intensity of entire game is subdued.
* Lower graphic textures and vibrancy.
* Audio lacks "punch" compared to arcade.
* Just like arcade, only 4 Missions which means can be blazed through in 20 minutes.

Despite their technical shortcomings, this Arcade Hits pack is worth getting around $20 if you were a fan of the arcade versions and want simple point and shoot action. One can only imagine how these games would look if upped to HD.

A Sega blog went up on the games. Some interesting information about easter eggs:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/09/07/sega-masterclass-gbny-lamg/

SEGA Masterclass: Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns

Hello and welcome to a special blog, this is the first of something that hopefully will become an occasional feature in which we get people involved in the creation of the games to spill the beans on some hot tips to become a real master of the game and maybe reveal some secrets you didn’t know before… our first Masterclass comes in the form of GBNY/LAMG. So let me hand over to our guest blogger – Motoshi Takabe!

Hello everyone, my name is Motoshi Takabe and I’m the director on this title. The following are gameplay tips that I’ve put together for you.

GUNBLADE NY
GRADES

Grades range from C to S++, this is basically decided by your accuracy, and it is also affected by the number of continues you use and times you are damaged. So, if you would like to have a better GRADE, you should be very careful with your firing. Holding fire down when there are no enemies on the screen won’t help you at all!

SCORE ATTACK

In SCORE ATTACK your multiplier is increased if you hit an enemy when it is in the damaged animation. This ratio is increased further if you hit the enemy when it drops its weapon, so aggressively try to make them drop their guns.

You can receive bonus points when multiple enemies are killed in an explosive blast. So, the best way to get big bonuses are to shoot enemies but keep them alive, then drive them in one area and launch an explosive.

PARK AREA

There are some different endings in this area depending upon your success

A butterfly appears when the game is completed without using Continues.

If you launch the missile in PARK AREA you will be hit by the General

HARD AREA3

When the boss is running away in HARD AREA3, if you successfully damage him by using a steal barrel or an explosive box, you can see him half-damaged in AREA4.

GAME DIFFICULTY

In easy, hard and hard (bad) modes if you pull and hold the triggers on 1P and 2P during the ending sequence you can see something special. This is different on all three difficulties. What are they? You’ll have to find out!

In another difference the figurine in the scene where a policeman and a woman are speaking is different depending on the difficulty level.

L.A. MACHINEGUNS
GAMEPLAY TIPS

In order to get a bonus you should try for a headshot, you can also get a bonus for hitting an enemy when he drops his weapon so ideally you should attack in the following chain.

Head-shot → weapon drop → normal attack

Always shoot the combo targets, this is the most effective way to continue combo and not lose your chain. The combo target is not limited to enemy characters, so you need to look for any available objects in the stage.

Enemy A.I levels will be gradually increment over time – however, it decreases a little when the user is damaged or the health bar is shortened. Be careful not to shoot civilians because it reduces the score and it increases enemy A.I. level!

RANKING TIPS

The next tips are dealing with the ranking system which is exclusive for Wii.

The game internally stores “Rank Points” based on the score and the clear time too in the case of GBNY. Your overall rank is upgraded when this internal rank point reaches a certain amount.

Sometimes you are rewarded with special weapons, a different bullet for instance.

The multiplier ratio of the point is different in each stage or area, this is also affected by the game difficulty so a high difficulty level has a higher ratio.

Should you be good enough to complete the game with no continues you can get a huge bonus for your rank.

GUNBLADE GRADE

In the normal mode of GBNY, you will also be rewarded with bonus points according to the Grade in each area. You should also be aware that whilst it is rare, it is possible that the Rank may go down if you kill too many civilians, etc. However, any unlocked bonuses are not lost in this.

SPECIAL WEAPONS

As a special bonus for the Wii version, we’ve also gone back and added some unlockable bonus weapons. Let me talk you through them:

WIDE SHOT

In GBNY you can rotate the bullet line by twisting the Wii remote.

In LAMG bullets are spread randomly.

The attack power is not that strong, so it is best suited should you be facing multiple enemies and too many bullets are flying towards you on the screen! Alternatively this could be a good choice for a beginner not used to aiming yet.

HEAVY SHOT

Powerful but with its long interval, it may be difficult to use this weapon in a heavy battle scene, but it is very good for slower enemies and close-range attacks. You can shorten the clear time if you use it to hit the weak point of the boss.

RAPID SHOT

Firing interval is very short, but attack power & stopping power are extremely weak. This weapon is not really to defeat enemies, but rather for gaining more of a bonus by hitting as many bullets as possible.

stuminus3

Cypher said:
Both games have been re-sized for 16:9 widescreen users, BUT be aware the actual TARGETING AREA for the reticule won't go beyond the far left and far right margins in order to comply to the original arcade ratios. Conversely, the enemies in the games won't aim at you in these areas. This is a fairness issue. (This is even stated in the manual)
That's actually a pretty neat solution. Wish Ghost Squad and HOTD2+3 were like this.

Finally got time to sit down and play these. Gunblade NY first - has that classic blocky look and the levels were pretty sparse until the final area in hard mode. Feels weird playing a light gun game where all you do is shoot, with no need for cover, switching weapons (until you unlock the other ones) etc, but the simplicity is nice. Fantastic ending theme too!

LA Machineguns has a lot more going on and the enemies were tougher. The final area was pretty hectic at times. Final boss fight was really enjoyable.

Checked the worldwide rankings and after one playthrough I'm 13th in the world in LA Machineguns! :lol Also spotted what I assume to be other UKers/EUers who have US Wii's as there were a couple of entries on the rankings with Brazil as their country and very non-Brazilian sounding names ;) :D (For those unaware, if you have a US Wii outside America, setting your region to Brazil is the quick and easy workaround to be able to use your credit card to buy Wii points as all they require is your postcode).

Does this game have the same calibration setup that SEGA's other light gun games have?

Because that calibration works really well and makes their light gun games much more fun!

Just got Ghost Squad as my first Wii Light Gun game for $20 brand-new, and I was welcomed with a nice surprise; the disc is in full color! o_O

The game came out in 2007, and here's the original disc art:

http://www.teambadattitude.co.uk/art/wii/bigdw/Ghost Squad (NTSC-U).jpg

WOW, I didn't know some games got newer shipments in color, anyone else grab a Wii game released before summer 2009 (when the full color discs first came out) and get a surprise full color disc?

Played quite a bit of GS today, very fun! :D

Loved fucking around, shooting my own men and hostages. XD

I've learned a valuable lesson today...

I'd make a horrible Ghost Squad member! :lol

Top Bottom