• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Gun Games Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns coming to Wii

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/LVOolGZh7FnQEca_-bydjDR0liDy0OB5

Here's the Nintendo.com page with the Leaderboard confirmation! :D

RULE THE SKIES WITH TWO SEGA CLASSIC ARCADE SHOOTERS!

Two fast-paced and beloved arcade shooter games take you to the skies above some of America’s most well-known locales. Up to 2 players control machineguns on two flying battle vehicles to destroy an android terrorist invasion.

First, combat android invaders in New York City with your Gunblade helicopter gunship. Then, climb aboard a futuristic hovering gunship to battle a new force of android enemies in Los Angeles and West Coast locales such as Alcatraz, Yosemite and Las Vegas.

Wii Zapper compatible and a host of added Wii features like online leaderboards for worldwide ranking and Wii Remote rumble complete the experience.

Tain said:
I've yet to really play a good console light gun game. It's not like shooters or beat 'em ups where there are a handful of home-exclusive games that are at least pretty playable even though they're not the best of the best.

Overkill reinforced this.

It's because you haven't played House of The Dead 2 & 3 returns. Overkill is a piece of junk.

Nonetheless, this collection looks great and I will be buying it.

cacildo

2 Minutes Turkish said:
I want to be excited for this, but I think Light Gun shooters are just not the same. They worked back THEN, but they just end up...boring now after 5 minutes.

I keep trying to force myself back.

I bought Ghost Squad for Wii, and sometimes unpack the Dreamcast for some HotD 2 or Confidential Mission action, but after 5 minutes or so I just get bored.

LGS' evolved into FPS' and I think we're better off for it.

Same here
(except i passed on Ghost Squad and never had a Dreamcast)

Sanic

M3d10n said:
AFAIK, Gunblade NY is a Model2 game, and Sega no longer have the source code for any model 2 games anymore. That was supposedly the reason behind HotD1's absence in the HotD collection.

So, they are either re-making the game (yay, upgraded visuals) or emulating it (they did that before: the PS2 Sega Ages Virtua Fighter 2 was supposedly emulated).

I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how do you loose the source code to multiple games? I remember reading about Sega loosing the source to a few other games as well, including Panzer Dragoon. What were they doing?!

Pandoracell said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but how do you loose the source code to multiple games? I remember reading about Sega loosing the source to a few other games as well, including Panzer Dragoon.

It was actually Panzer Dragoon Saga, which makes it even worse.

Pandoracell said:
What were they doing?!

Being SEGA, obviously.

Tain

Sohter.Nura said:
It's because you haven't played House of The Dead 2 & 3 returns. Overkill is a piece of junk.

Nonetheless, this collection looks great and I will be buying it.

Those are arcade games, though, that happened to later be ported to consoles. Not "home exclusive."

Kulock said:
So, in the original L.A. Machineguns, there were ads for Sonic Adventure in the city areas.

Apparently they've updated them for Wii audiences.

TIME PARADOX!!!

It's interesting that they did that, shame BK's not that good (I played a bit of it, it's meh so far, got it for $20). Good idea, just the game is not that good.

Maybe they should've kept the Adventure ads for nostalgia, and it wouldn't be false advertising either, as you might still be able to buy DX and play it on the Wii.

Anyone got screens of the old version with those Adventure ads?

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I'm a little upset with the screenshots. If you play Gunblade NY on the Nebula Model 2 emulation at moderately high resolution, it looks amazing by comparison. I'm still hella bummed out there's no reliable Model 3 emu yet for LA Machineguns:<

And completely unrelated, am I the only one who talks about LA Machineguns with people...but pronounces it "LaMachineguns"?

LeMaximilian said:
And completely unrelated, am I the only one who talks about LA Machineguns with people...but pronounces it "LaMachineguns"?

weezing.gif
german-machine-gun.jpg

But the prequel was called Gunblade NY, maybe you didn't know that, but the logo even includes periods after L and A.

This right here is a must have for the Wii.

I wouldn't be surprised if Virtua Cop 1 & 2 hit in a similar package later on.

Virtua Cop 3 will just have to ported over to the PS3 unless the 360 gets a Light Gun. Maybe the Wii could handle it no problems but who knows.

Namco should be right on board with all their GunCon games as well. We like to call that free money where I come from.

Lijik

captmcblack said:
Also, if they could port HOTD4 or something, that would be amazing.

Didn't they say they would probably do it if HOTD2&3 Return did well?
What happened to that.

I wonder if Sega will replace the BK ad in the game with a Colors one? The game wasn't announced when those screens showed up.

Also, I wonder who's doing the collection?

How about next, Sega brings all three Sega Bass fishing games on one disc (1, 2, and Marine), no visual or game content changes outside of 480p, Motion Plus, Leaderboards, and just get SIMS to do all three as they did the DC ports.

I know SBF1 is already on Wii, but there's just two things.

1, there aren't any leaderboards or M+, 2...

They fucking replaced the damn announcer!!!

How can you not love "This one's HUUUUGE!"? :(

Plus being 3-in-1, it'll still encourage many to buy it, and of course M+ and Leaderboards will sweeten the deal even more.

Did anyone try out Hooked Again? That was by SIMS and has M+ and even online multiplayer IIRC, the original sucked though.

If this does well....enough perhaps there will be a Sub HD port of this and something like HOUSE of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns again plus 4 (Special Bonus Overkill Unlock) for PlayStation move.

Also Ghost Squad+Confidential Mission

and Virtua Cop Trilogy.

In fact just bring them all over SEGA, don't be shy.

LongDongJunon said:
If this does well....enough perhaps there will be a Sub HD port of this and something like HOUSE of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns again plus 4 (Special Bonus Overkill Unlock) for PlayStation move.

and Virtua Cop Trilogy.

Oh COME ON...

gunstarhero said:
Preordered - but can't help but be nervous... Look what they did to Jambo Safari :/

Any reviews posted?

I wouldn't worry, first this isn't a stupid makeover, second, light-gun isn't that hard to get right on the Wii.

RedSwirl said:
Comes out this week.

Yup, waiting on the email from VG+ for shipping confirmation :) Really excited about this, I've had my preorder in for a while but Time Crisis Razing Storm with Move has really got my attention lately and this should fill in the void before it comes out.

farnham

Banned
LongDongJunon said:

and Virtua Cop Trilogy.

okay so if a wii game sells well sega will port over all those games mentioned on the ps3...

i really fail to get the logic

Well damn,

I'm just happy to see Light gun games make a small come back and gushing a bit.

Nothing to be overly offended over.

...or is that just the general emotion in this topic?

LongDongJunon said:
Well damn,

I'm just happy to see Light gun games make a small come back and gushing a bit.

Nothing to be overly offended over.

...or is that just the general emotion in this topic?

It's not that, it's the port begging nature of your comment.

Finding out that Time Crisis Razing Storm was coming to move got me excited about the possibility of more games like it to come, so I got excited.

My bad

I'd forgotten this was coming up. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

Hero of Legend said:
I wonder if Sega will replace the BK ad in the game with a Colors one? The game wasn't announced when those screens showed up.

I was just thinking that the moment I saw this thread bumped.

Edit: http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/08/23/gbnylamg/

There's apparently a few new easter eggs and secrets (referenced in addition to the billboard changes we already know about), it was ported by the original team, and Sega's going to post a few guest blogs by the Producer and Director, and give away some prints they signed.

Kulock said:
I'd forgotten this was coming up. Can't wait to see how it turned out.

I was just thinking that the moment I saw this thread bumped.

Edit: http://blogs.sega.com/europe/2010/08/23/gbnylamg/

There's apparently a few new easter eggs and secrets (referenced in addition to the billboard changes we already know about), it was ported by the original team, and Sega's going to post a few guest blogs by the Producer and Director, and give away some prints they signed.

Awesome, thanks for posting that! :D

I must admit, I actually hope Sega get Polygon Magic to port a few more Arcade games to Wii, the more the merrier and if the main folks behind said games aren't at Sega or are too busy. Arcade to Wii ports seems like the thing they can do properly in a sense (minus the framerate decrease in Ghost Squad but still).

So I guess AM2 did both HOD2&3 and now NYGB&LAMG?

gunstarhero said:
Preordered - but can't help but be nervous... Look what they did to Jambo Safari :/

Any reviews posted?
They already have a good foundation for lightgun games, I wouldn't worry too much.

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Sounding good! Just waiting on my copy shipping from VG+.

Be sure to double confirm that it is in 16:9 when you get it! :D

In my opinion, I don't demand 16:9 in arcade ports due to most of them being made in 4:3, so it kinda feels right to have it left that way, hell a number of more recent games were in 4:3 such as HOD4 and Primeval Hunt were they not?

It's also because up till now, I don't think a single Arcade-to-Wii port that wasn't remade (like Jambo Safari, horribly tragically) supported 16:9. :(

RedSwirl

Just put it in for 20 minutes. Jesus fucking Christ if you are a fan of old school Model 2 arcade games GET THIS NOW. As soon as I hit the title screen it was like I'd gone back in time.

Sega, bring it all over: Virtua Cop, Dynamite Deka, Daytona, Top Skater on the balance board, I don't give a shit just bring it all over.

Namco you too! I want some Time Crisis and Crisis Zone up in this bitch with the balance board as a makeshift pedal.

Gomu Gomu said:
Hero of Legend there's a quick look for this game on Giant Bomb. It looks sweet & smooth in wide screen.

Off-screen's fine here; don't wanna "spoil" any of the hour long worth of gameplay! :lol :D I just wanted that 16:9 confirmation. XD

Gomu Gomu

Hero of Legend said:
Off-screen's fine here; don't wanna "spoil" any of the hour long worth of gameplay! :lol :D I just wanted that 16:9 confirmation. XD
lol, suit yourself. Just wanted to say that the game looked awesome, so no worries there. If it came with the big ass gun that we had on the Arcade, I would've bought it at a high price. Nothing felt better than shooting those mother F-ers with that huge thing.

Gomu Gomu said:
lol, suit yourself. Just wanted to say that the game looked awesome, so no worries there. If it came with the big ass gun that we had on the Arcade, I would've bought it at a high price. Nothing felt better than shooting those mother F-ers with that huge thing.

I remember playing Machineguns at the Playdium arcade on my Birthday a few months ago for the first time, knowing I can eventually play it on the Wii, loved it! :D

Also saw Ghost Squad Evolution, it was out of service sadly. :(

What's new about Evolution? The original on Wii was on Chihiro, Evolution was on the Lindbergh, but what little screens of it I've seen, it looks the same even though the Lindbergh's like a gen up sort of.

Most of Evolution's changes were things that affected the game itself(like additional missions, fixes, extras, and so on). I'm under the assumption that Lindbergh hardware is cheaper/easier to produce and Chihiro is outdated and expensive. There are similar cases like the later version of Virtual On: Oratario Tangram being on Naomi when the original was on Model 3.

Bog

Junior Ace
Out of nowhere just now I thought about this and wondered when it was due out. Spooky. Anyway, even though I know this'll hit $10 in absolutely no time, I think I might have to bite. $30 for these two seems reasonable. Any other impressions?

RedSwirl

Basically, there doesn't seem to be anything at all wrong with the Gunblade port. It feels like a Model 2 game that was made in 16:9.

One weird (or nice) touch is that the vocalizations from the guy over the radio in Gunblade come in through the Wii remote speaker. Sure you don't have the massive gun with crazy vibration anymore, but almost none of the rest of the experience is gone. It really does feel like you've gone back to 1995.

Only balance issue you might see is that you get infinite continues so dying is really nothing at all.

Top Bottom