• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Costume for FFXIV:ARR

N.A

Banned
Lalafell are awesome!

RdkV0Wx.gif

Meh, not really bothered with this or excited.

I think people thinking about breaking the lore are too soon to panic.We don't know how the quest or Lightning is introduced in the world, might be a dream, some kind of play or whatever...

Hedge

Wow, almost makes me not want to buy XIV out of protest. Thankfully it's actually a good Final Fantasy game.

I just don't get it. The character isn't even extraordinary popular, in fact, she's rather hated. I've never seen a company try and force a character onto its fan base like this with such little response.

Actually, Lightning is - believe it or not - the most popular female FF character in Japan, while the most popular male character is Zack. Cloud is only second. Crazy, eh?

I think it's mostly in the west that people have not taken kindly to her.

Beth Cyra

Actually, Lightning is - believe it or not - the most popular female FF character in Japan, while the most popular male character is Zack. Cloud is only second. Crazy, eh?

I think it's mostly in the west that people have not taken kindly to her.

That was only on a SE forum.

Using that as a true base for who is popular nation wide is misplaced at best.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
And this isn't a side quest? While he wasn't advertised like this, there was definitely a big deal made out of it in the magazine press. It was a different time in gaming of course. However, Cloud was just as whored out. Which was the point.

When they give Lightning her own movie, I'll call it even.

FFXIII was basically a movie.

Beth Cyra

FFXIII was basically a movie.

Haha.

Also how is a 40 Hour SOLO playable Lightning RPG not far greater then a 2 hour movie?

What are you using to gauge that she is hated nation wide?

Didn't claim she was hated nation wide. I said she was met with a meh reception and at large it's true. Just look around review sites as well as how well XIII-2 performed.

This is not a Cloud/Yuna situation where the character was taken to in mass.

Boss Man

And this isn't a side quest? While he wasn't advertised like this, there was definitely a big deal made out of it in the magazine press. It was a different time in gaming of course. However, Cloud was just as whored out. Which was the point.

When they give Lightning her own movie, I'll call it even.
Here's a big difference:

They put Cloud in things to sell those things.

They put Lightning in things to sell Lightning.

Hedge

That was only on a SE forum.

Using that as a true base for who is popular nation wide is misplaced at best.

It is also the best indicator of what the actual statistic would look like, and I believe there are enough participants to actually give a good inclination as to what the japanese FF fans like. And from my understanding, being a SE member in Japan is pretty common when you play FF games, so I think that access to the poll has been quite widespread through the japanese FF gaming population.

I should have worded it better, though. I'll ammend it by saying "Numbers indicate that Lightning is rather loved by a large part of the japanese FF-playing gaming population, and there have been no studies to disprove these numbers as of yet".

Haha.

Also how is a 40 Hour SOLO playable Lightning RPG not far greater then a 2 hour movie?

Didn't claim she was hated nation wide. I said she was met with a meh reception and at large it's true. Just look around review sites as well as how well XIII-2 performed.

This is not a Cloud/Yuna situation where the character was taken to in mass.

So it IS ok to listen to reviewers! Boy, do I have some news for that guy in the "unplayable" GTA thread!!

On a more serious note though, I don't know if I would use XIII-2's improved reception against XIII as a fact that people just hated Lightning. Pretty sure that could be attributed to XIII-2 much improved gameplay.

Road

Final Fantasy X|V just gained 8 new buyers.

Which means there are now twice as much people willing to pay for the game.

Hedge

Actually, I'm a bit curious. Anyone got access to the japanese XIV or SE forums to see what their reaction is? In regards to the inclusion of Lightning in XIV, I mean. Do they even care, or are they pleased?

Ashuron

inenon63awadq17stc.gif

I've only played a few hours into FFXIII and it wasn't for me but I have no problem with this.

That crystal weapon looks amazing though. Is it for CNJ/WHM or THM/BLM?

Toth

As said before, if anyone is boycotting this game because of aesthetic items such as these, you had better had been ready to boycott the game for the Final Fantasy helmet, the FF6 magitek ( the EXACT same magitek armor), the majority of the FF XI items and references, the Crsytal Tower, the planned Golden Saucer, and the other planned items and locations that are connected to past games in the series. If not, you are just showing yourself as being a hypocrite.

I would've been okay with just the weapons and such from LR, but the outfit is too much of a stretch for me to get into. Never really cared for XIII for the bit I've played, just not caring for the amount of shoe-horning is going into that 'series'.

That said, not looking forward to seeing how many people run around with that outfit.

Parfait

inenon63awadq17stc.gif

I've only played a few hours into FFXIII and it wasn't for me but I have no problem with this.

That crystal weapon looks amazing though. Is it for CNJ/WHM or THM/BLM?

The Catboy Snow is using an axe and it's apparently made of Ice. so MRD/WAR

Teletraan1

Banned
As said before, if anyone is boycotting this game because of aesthetic items such as these, you had better had been ready to boycott the game for the Final Fantasy helmet, the FF6 magitek ( the EXACT same magitek armor), the majority of the FF XI items and references, the Crsytal Tower, the planned Golden Saucer, and the other planned items and locations that are connected to past games in the series. If not, you are just showing yourself as being a hypocrite.

But its Lightning.

In all seriousness I am excited for FFXIV:ARR because of the fan service. They can add whatever they want from the previous games, it doesn't bother me one bit. When i see Yuna Fourtwenty running around with lightning gear im not going to be one bit shook.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*shrug* I don't see the big deal. Yeah, I've never seen a company be so forceful with their attempts at trying to make a character popular inorganically, but she does have fans. It's just kinda weird how hard they are trying. Have they run out of ways to market FFVII stuff or something? I just wonder when Square is going to take the hint. Lightning isn't as popular as you think she is.

I guess the upside is that we have a major video game developer pushing strongly for the popularity of a heroine in their biggest franchise. I don't really find Lightning as off-putting as a lot of people, but it's hard to imagine that her popularity actually warrants this level of exposure.

Lightning is on the same level as Squall with me. Not particularly charismatic or interesting but not a character I have some strong disdain for. I guess we just better brace ourselves for more years of this. Considering how few new characters FF has created in the past generation, Lightning has a 99.9878% chance of being a character in Kingdom Hearts 3.

*shrug* I don't see the big deal. Yeah, I've never seen a company be so forceful with their attempts at trying to make a character popular inorganically, but she does have fans. It's just kinda weird how hard they are trying. Have they run out of ways to market FFVII stuff or something? I just wonder when Square is going to take the hint. Lightning isn't as popular as you think she is.

I guess the upside is that we have a major video game developer pushing strongly for the popularity of a heroine in their biggest franchise. I don't really find Lightning as off-putting as a lot of people, but it's hard to imagine that her popularity actually warrants this level of exposure.

Lightning is on the same level as Squall with me. Not particularly charismatic or interesting but not a character I have some strong disdain for. I guess we just better brace ourselves for more years of this. Considering how few new characters FF has created in the past generation, Lightning has a 99.9878% chance of being a character in Kingdom Hearts 3.

That well will never run dry. Trust me.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/846958001168405528/

They will have those fans to run behind them with their tongues hanging out for a very long time.

Also, people who weren't already expecting something like this Lightning appearance were kidding themselves from the get go.

This, totally agree. The Lightning stuff is definitely forced but so is...EVERYTHING ELSE that Yoshi-P added to salve over the v1.0 wounds. You get Cait Sith for preordering. It says he's taking a vacation from Shinra! How is that not just as infuriating from a plot standpoint?

They're pushing her onto us, sure, but you don't have to listen. If you dislike the character, you dislike the character. I can't stand her but the quest can be skipped.

I'm an RPer, I crave a story that I can play around in and FFXIV is, so far, fantastic for doing just that. This Lightning thing is silly but it's not destroying anything. Square's done this stuff forever, Culex in Super Mario RPG was a total tone shift and completely out of left field. It replaced Smithy as the actual bad guy, this was a dude way more powerful just hanging out in a town. Still a great game.

This might not be what we, as apparently older FF fans, want, but there's a lot of stuff in there for us. A free costume set and maybe a goofy time travel quest isn't going to break anything.

Kyon

Banned
Actually, I'm a bit curious. Anyone got access to the japanese XIV or SE forums to see what their reaction is? In regards to the inclusion of Lightning in XIV, I mean. Do they even care, or are they pleased?

arent you in the beta? anyone can go into all 3 forums

I found a big topic about it (I think?) within the JP XIV Beta forums. Loosely using the Google Translate function, and only clicking randomly between the 60+ pages; it seems like quite a few people were ok with the costumes and stuff, but aren't too excited about Lightning herself appearing in the world.

Esura

Banned
Is this Lightning day or something? Cause I'm getting showered with gifts from the goddess and I couldn't be more happier.

My Elezen is going to look soooo hot in that. I might just go ahead and make her hair pink now too. Go all the way with it.

Khrno

Wow Road, outside sales-age threads you seem like so out of touch with reality, specially any thread related to ARR.

Noi

There's a very big difference between taking characters, items, creatures, spells, locations, etc from previous games and adapting them to fit the new game's lore, something Final Fantasy does all the time, and having cross-promotional advertisement for another game like what they're doing with Lightning in XIV. You'd have a point if the Magitek Armor was literally the same one from VI with Terra, Biggs or Wedge riding in it, the Crystal Tower was the exact same one as in III (complete with Xande and Cloud of Darkness at the top!) and they literally made the same FFVII Golden Saucer but in 3D. Lightning is literally being plucked as-is and placed in XIV to cross-promote Lightning Returns. It's not even a special seasonal event like the ones in XI, which weren't based on other games to sell but on actual holidays. I'm still going to play XIV, but I completely understand if someone is bothered by this.

When they put an Onion Helm, Warrior of Light helmet, and Cait Sith Doll as items in FXIV, the intention was for those items to be nods to previous games, not literally the same items/characters from those games placed as advertisements to get you to buy the latest SE games featuring those things. The former is fine, but the latter opens up more questions. What's stopping SE from doing the same thing for every other FF they release, treating XIV as a cross-promotional dumping ground like Valve does with TF2 hats?

Top Bottom