• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Costume for FFXIV:ARR

Midou

zeuslig2.gif

stop it zeus

i've had enough already

He promised us Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice, but I guess no one said anything about 3 times.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I wonder where the rage was when Cloud was included in FFT:WotL, duh.

Aeana

I'm not so bothered by the costume as I am bothered by the precedent of including a character from another FF game that really doesn't fit into the lore. It kind of weakens how serious they are going to take the lore of the world and also could lead to even more inclusions of other characters which I feel doesn't really fit into the world of XIV. I'll be cautious about it but it won't make me cancel my pre-order.
How were you going to react when they included the Golden Saucer from FF7? Because that's coming eventually. And the other stuff I mentioned above. There are tons of things from other FF games being included in FF14 already, Lightning is just another one. The lore is already affected by this stuff.

LuuKyK

lol break the immersion... I've seen some NPCs in XIV with clothes way worse than the Lightning one.

Actually, the point of XV clothing is that.. it looks like it's from reality. You know.. "a fantasy based on reality".

One of the dudes had a wing in his arm. What reality is that from? I mean, I like the designs in XV but you are not making sense.

Midou

How were you going to react when they included the Golden Saucer from FF7? Because that's coming eventually. And the other stuff I mentioned above. There are tons of things from other FF games being included in FF14 already, Lightning is just another one.

Personally, everything short of actual characters seems fine to me. Unless they were to start having some Dissidia-style plotline where all the characters show up or something. I'm sure the Gold Saucer would not be 100% copy pasted out, like you woulden't have a motorcycle or snow-boarding mini-game. I'm sure they meant it conceptually, which would be a lot different from Lightning being there literally.

In other words, Lightning being there is like if the gold saucer that they add to FF14 had the exact mini-games from FF7.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is it really that different from other fanservice stuff in the game, like the Crystal Tower or Magitek armor or any of the other stuff that clearly doesn't fit but is being included for the sake of fans?

Items are a bit different than characters themselves... and I'm already not too fond of Yoshida's obsession with fanservice.

Hedge

One of the dudes had a wing in his arm. What reality is that from? I mean, I like the designs in XV but you are not making sense.

I'm sorry.. did you grow up in the same world I did? Have you not heard of tattoos? They are very much from this reality, and a few of my friends actually do have angel wings tattoo'd on their body. Calling them not from this reality would probably not sit well with them.

You are seriously grasping at straws if you belive a tattoo is too fictional for reality. Come on.

Kyon

Banned
Items are a bit different than characters themselves... and I'm already not too fond of Yoshida's obsession with fanservice.

Yeah items are different.

If they dressed an NPC like Lightning to promote the costume ok. But bringing the character into the game... SMH

At least PSO2 gets it right.

SleazyC

How were you going to react when they included the Golden Saucer from FF7? Because that's coming eventually. And the other stuff I mentioned above. There are tons of things from other FF games being included in FF14 already, Lightning is just another one. The lore is already affected by this stuff.
I was unaware that they were going to add the Golden Saucer. I think locations are a bit easier to integrate into existing lore but it is a bit disappointing to me. I probably am in the minority of the overall MMO population that actually enjoy good lore and what it adds to the immersion of an MMO.

I suppose how I react to the inclusion of other FF elements will depend on whether the other aspects of the game (character balance, end-game, quest diversity) are fun.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I actually don't mind this. I can't see it as a major quest line nor can I see the weapons as important. Just something cute with maybe a challenging boss fight, which is always welcome.

Not the first time Square has done this. Cloud was in FF Tactics and even mentioned Xenogears IIRC. Ehrgeiz too I think?

To be honest, I would mind a "Caverns of time" type of place in XIV for wild cross game weirdness. After all, Eorzea is seriously jacked up from having a moon rip through its atmosphere, blow up and unleash an elder primal from within. The release of Aether could have ripped holes in dimensions :)

Boss Man

In other words, Lightning being there is like if the gold saucer that they add to FF14 had the exact mini-games from FF7.
Or more like if walking into it literally just streamed the FF7 Golden Saucer running on PS1.

This is not a reference or fan service. This is literally ripping the main character from another FF game and duck taping her into the game. Then you also get a costume to make you look exactly like her. Not her coat, not her shoes - a costume that turns you into her doppleganger.

It's tacky, it's cheap, and it's done for advertisement. Items translated across games is obviously fan service, but it's not gross. Just grabbing Lightning and putting her in the game...there's not even any effort involved in that. It just completely ruins any thought of the game being taken seriously.

It's called fanservice (yes, there are actually people out there who like Lightning). Magitek armor, materia, etc. I'd actually be cool with adding other outfits from other Final Fantasy games in there as well. I want to dress up as a LEGIT Vivi character! The Black Mage AF doesn't look the same. Of course, breaking lore was never a problem with me (and MMOs).

EDIT: I do think it's a bit odd Lightning herself is in the game instead of just the outfit. *shrug*

Lalafells look always cute no matter what they wear. :p

So true. Even though I find this Lightning stuff silly, I gotta admit, that chubby lalafell looks adorable in Lightning's outfit.

Midou

This is the greatest thing ever look at that cute as hell lalafell

Lalafel are gross, the designers did not know the true meaning of cute

bq9aNeU.jpg

Lalafells look like human children, while Tarutaru were like adorable little monkey people. :3

notworksafe

Hm some people are pretty upset at this. Can't say I'm too bothered, though I could understand why people would be.

I think this will be the same as holiday/event gear in 1.0 and other MMOs. You'll see it around town for a while, then eventually less and less until it's like 0-1 people every few months.

To be honest, I would mind a "Caverns of time" type of place in XIV for wild cross game weirdness. After all, Eorzea is seriously jacked up from having a moon rip through its atmosphere, blow up and unleash an elder primal from within. The release of Aether could have ripped holes in dimensions :)

That could be fun. Plus it keeps everything into one section for those that don't want to see it.

Jomjom

Banned

bq9aNeU.jpg

Lalafells look like human children, while Tarutaru were like adorable little monkey people. :3

I thought that they were little koala people. They have koala noses. Now the lalafell are just like those scary real dolls.

Nobody had any problems with Magitek armor. People are just disliking this because they hate Lightning and not because of the FF fanservice. I don't see why this can't be in the game. It can be introduced with some sort of story like how Cloud appears in Final Fantasy Tactics.

LuuKyK

I'm sorry.. did you grow up in the same world I did? Have you not heard of tattoos? They are very much from this reality, and a few of my friends actually do have angel wings tattoo'd on their body. Calling them not from this reality would probably not sit well with them.

You are seriously grasping at straws if you belive a tattoo is too fictional for reality. Come on.

Are you serious? What are you talking about?

Who ever mentioned a tattoo? I am talking about this guy:

Parfait

bq9aNeU.jpg

No way

Taru are gross, the only good taru was Shantotto.

Lalafell are universally awesome in every single way.

bq9aNeU.jpg

Well yeah pretty much.

Mithra are better than Miqote and Tarutaru are better than Lalafells.

I'm still wondering why FFXIV wasn't a direct continuation of the first game. That's all anyone seemed to want.

Midou

Well yeah pretty much.

Mithra are better than Miqote and Tarutaru are better than Lalafells.

I'm still wondering why FFXIV wasn't a direct continuation of the first game. That's all anyone seemed to want.

Yea Miqote have the same problem, instead of being cat people they are just like humans with cat ears. They really went lazy with the 'new' races.

They really shoulda just gone with Ivalice for the world if they were afraid to copy the XI races directly, you have so much lore, races, and the likes to build on.

I hate every single cute race in every MMO save for Tarus, they are equal parts awesome and adorable, and not creepy weird cute like so many others.

Hedge

Are you serious? What are you talking about?

Who ever mentioned a tattoo? I am talking about this guy:

See, when I answer a person in regards to a particular image - which happen to contain a tattoo of an angel wing on a guys arm - I am going to assume all other replies to my reply also are about the same image, unless another image has been shown. Funny how that works, yes?

Now, I agree. That particular guy's outfit looks odd, but then there are fantasy aspects to this reality, otherwise it wouldn't be a fantasy based on reality. Notice how there are also people wearing armor - which is also not contemporary. It's just a mingle of the two.

george_us

This incessant Lightning shoehorning is gonna look pretty fucking ridiculous 10 years from now...
10 years from now? That shit looked ridiculous 20 minutes ago. I don't recall SE whoring out Cloud this badly and I'm pretty sure he's far more popular than Lightning is.

Boss Man

If they have to revisit previous Final Fantasy games, then that means the series is dead.
-Wada on why they refuse to make a FFVII remake.

Lightning Game #5, please be excited!

Midou

10 years from now? That shit looked ridiculous 20 minutes ago. I don't recall SE whoring out Cloud this badly and I'm pretty sure he's far more popular than Lightning is.

They strapped breasts on Advent Children Cloud and sold him as Lightning, so technically they are whoring him out. ;)

Kintaro

...you got Cloud as a party member in Final Fantasy Tactics. It really doesn't get much more wish out of water than that. They whored him out too. They created a CG movie for him!

jiggle

Doesn't bother me
Game needs all the contents it can get when it launches

yup
the bald lala is the only one that even comes close to taru cuteness
and giving lala bust sizes is just disturbing

Famassu

pGc1nR7.jpg

Terrifying.

FFs Lightning obsession has reached an all new high.
Or... you know, they've just been releasing these games with Lightning in them within the last few years and have done some cross-game promotional content for a couple of games like Dissidia & now XIV. Not like Square Enix is alone in doing stuff like this. I mean, how does Kratos or Link fit Soul Calibur's world/lore?

...you got Cloud as a party member in Final Fantasy Tactics. It really doesn't get much more wish out of water than that. They whored him out too. They created a CG movie for him!

He was a sidequest that you had to go out of your way to find and he wasn't advertised to be in it before the game released.

A better example you could have used was Ehrgeiz.

Boss Man

Ok, so if Lightning is not technically in the world and you have to cross some sort of trans-dimensional cavern where you are now inside of FFXIII's world and fight alongside her against some monsters...and they do that for each Final Fantasy game and not just for Lightning because Lightning Returns please be excited - that would be alright.

Still think the idea of a costume that turns you into Lightning or whatever other character (instead of just getting their clothes) is dumb and will be annoying to see. Still upset that it's Lightning first and with no hint of it happening for others because of promotion. But I could live with it if that's how it panned out.

Yeah, I was already shaking my head at some of the more blatant fanservice, this is like the straw that broke the camel's back.

Beth Cyra

He was a sidequest that you had to go out of your way to find and he wasn't advertised to be in it before the game released.

This, and the CG movie came ten years after Cloud's game and was highly requested because of how popular Cloud is.

Not several projects year after year following the original's release with a character who was met with a meh reception at best, one of which was pretty much the closest thing to false advertising we've ever seen.

Cloud doesn't even approach what they've done with Lightning.

Jeels

Wow, almost makes me not want to buy XIV out of protest. Thankfully it's actually a good Final Fantasy game.

I just don't get it. The character isn't even extraordinary popular, in fact, she's rather hated. I've never seen a company try and force a character onto its fan base like this with such little response.

Kintaro

And this isn't a side quest? While he wasn't advertised like this, there was definitely a big deal made out of it in the magazine press. It was a different time in gaming of course. However, Cloud was just as whored out. Which was the point.

When they give Lightning her own movie, I'll call it even.

Top Bottom