• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Mikey Jr.

Why is pointless trolling like this even allowed?
How is anything from this game recycled from the previous two? Stupid..

Remember when Square made various Final Fantasies in one console generation?

Different characters, different worlds, different combat systems, different artstyles?

TheOGB

Banned
Final Fantasy XIII-3: Majora's Mask? (beaten, obviously)

I'd play it
Then again, I said the same thing about XIII and XIII-2. I did play em, but not for very long. I don't think it helps that I've only got a passing interest in FF at most to begin with. :p

most likely Fang and Vanille?
3DS/Vita chibi sim/RPG spinoff confirmed

what

Alex

That sounds pretty wonderful on paper, I was expecting more of an XIII-2 type romp, and while I actually liked XIII-2 a fair bit, which was a good surprise after the original mess of a game, I wasn't really down for more of the same.

Stripping down the cast and shuttling it into the future, hopefully keeping it as self-contained as possible would be a nice endeavor as well, because of any of the good that came from XIII-2, it certainly didn't involve bringing back that tepid cast and forced world.

Esura

Banned
I'm immensely disappointed. All they showed was concept art and the one trailer wasn't shown to the public. Damn, killed all my hype in one fell swoop. Can't stay hyped for stuff without a trailer.

Oh, and kayos lost no? :D

SerRodrik

Man, you almost had me with your possible Majora's Mask influence, Square. You almost had me, despite me not playing either of the FFXIII games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want to see an Eidos team make a Final Fantasy side game. Just to see what it would even be like. Might as well if they're making all these weird decisions.

def sim

I want to see an Eidos team make a Final Fantasy side game. Just to see what it would even be like. Might as well if they're making all these weird decisions.

Hey shhhhhh

shut upppp

Eidos is doing great by themselves. Don't drag them into this hell.

Noi

The 1up article did a better job than the stream of explaining about the new game. Chalk me up for the party interested, though I'm still gonna be waiting on actual footage.

Customization on monsters was the best part of XIII-2, so I hope they go nuts with that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At least Sonic was in a good game at one time.
Oh man... :lol

Noel was the first shitty friend. You will see when they include Gackt in this one.
You're saying that Noel is Tails and Gackt is Knuckles? D:

Who's Amy Rose?

Team NORA are the Chaotix. Shadow is Caius, and Yeul is Maria.

The 1up article did a better job than the stream of explaining about the new game. Chalk me up for the party interested, though I'm still gonna be waiting on actual footage.

Customization on monsters was the best part of XIII-2, so I hope they go nuts with that.
Did the 1Up article end up making it seem like VP/BoF:DQ? Because that's what I got out of the IGN article.

Boss Man

The details make it sound kind of interesting; especially the free roaming part...but they always do sound interesting. I'm sure that this is actually just another hallway 'adventure', probably even more linear with only a single character. I'm anticipating something like Crisis Core.

Derrick01

Banned

I imagine it would be kind of like this. Open world but without the time limit being there just to make no sense at all.

A few bits of info;
-The battle system is time based, real time
-You map different attacks to the face buttons, there are no menus (like KH but less button mashy)
-You can move freely around in battle, timing is important
-'Overclock' ability lets you slow down time in battle to gain an advantage (wasn't Overclock originally shown with the first FFXIII trailer??)
-Lightning has loads of customization, and her skill selection is reflected by the gear which you have her wear
-The world is all new
-The game is open world, and quest based, not linear
-Different actions burn time in different ways in the world, such as discovering a certain treasure, or making certain decisions
-After 13 days you may be forced into the final battle regardless

Beth Cyra

So is Nomura only doing her eyes?

I know SE is desperate to keep his name on that damn box but given he only did what like 4 faces for XIII-2 and now this, this shit is really sad attempt to force any kind've name on to this game.

Toth

I feel very underwhelmed, even though I knew this was going to happen.

IDK Kagari, your article sound uncharacteristically optimistic. I actually see what they are doing and I like it: showing off concepts to gauge public reaction and using that to further design the game. It's like they finally learned the importance of focus groups hehe

Zeal

Banned
I'm immensely disappointed. All they showed was concept art and the one trailer wasn't shown to the public. Damn, killed all my hype in one fell swoop. Can't stay hyped for stuff without a trailer.

Oh, and kayos lost no? :D

It's like Square is feeling less and less sure of itself everyday. "You will love this new game...we think."

Every forum, facebook, youtube and tweet in response to this game are all asking the same fucking question: where is Versus? I wish people wouldn't buy another game from Square until we finally get some concrete answers.

Top Bottom