• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII announced for 2013 [Up3: Famitsu Details]

Foffy

Banned
And whats the problem? Should I not enjoy a game announcement because the other people in here are hating left and right? Doesn't sounds like something a reasonable person would do. I wouldn't do that for sure.

Oh no, I'm not saying you shouldn't. It's just as someone who actually liked XIII-2, they didn't really show...anything about this game, so I think it's hard to have any hype for it. Especially considering the main character..

Andrefpvs

"In Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, you can ask your Facebook friends for more in-game time if you're running out!"

not really, but I'm expecting them to pull some stunt like this

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, it's definitely more a problem of Square opening it's mouth regarding Versus XIII well before they should have, and I hope they've learned a lesson in this regard.

Regardless of when they announced it, it's just bad management. What other game has had this long of a development time? Too Human?

Go_Ly_Dow

The concept sounds very strange. I'm glad its not "XIII-3" as I feel this will now impede less on marketing Versus.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'll buy it... but definitely not paying the full $60 this time when these FF games drop in price like no other gaming series I've ever seen.

will be $29 in just a few months.

I made that mistake with FFXIII-2 and still haven't even gotten halfway through it

yami4ct

The strangeness of the game aside, I'm tentatively excited. It sounds interesting. I'm with the wait and see crowd to really decide, though. The battle system was the only good part of XIII, I need to see some footage of Lightning Returns' before I can get any real excitement worked up.

Versus isn't ready. They need games to release in the interim. It's really a very simple concept in terms of business.

They must have a pretty pathetic opinion of the main Final Fantasy team if they're having them work on this game instead of a mainline FF game though. If FFXV could sell 6m like previous mainline FFs, the opportunity cost to make Lightning Returns would be pretty huge.

So they're not ruling out more FFXIII? It's time to update that SquareEnix "Do You Want This Game" Chart to reflect -> No -> It's now a seven part chronicle.

It all makes sense now. Lightning Returns is just a spin-off of the FF13 series. It'll gap the story of FF13-2 and FF13-3.

not only have they seemingly tossed away chars that i liked along with the gameplay systems i enjoyed but now i have to suffer an entire game with nothing but lightning.

lol at least SE amuses me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I found a good poster for the game.

in-time-poster.jpg

Concept sounds exactly like it.

Hells to the yeah! Can't wait for more SE time and money being spent on this shitty entry and world and characters. Who wants a brand new FF or new IPs or sequels/remakes/FF Vs XIII when we can get more lightening and possibly more FFXIII universe if this sells well.

How about reading the OP?

So this is FFXIII-3? Possibility of more FFXIII sequels? Square is milking FFXIII. It's been mentioned, but the title of the game is pretty bland. Lightning all day, every day. T_T

7Th

Feels like this game is a side-story divergance, and XIII-3 is still an inevitability. We'll never be rid of Lightning and friends.

Wouldn't it be extra lame if this ended up just being a sidegame for Lightning and XIII-3 gets announced at next year's Square event?

This is the end of LIGHTNING'S STORY! They'll just keep making games for other characters.

Awful
because it's true.

Aeana

They must have a pretty pathetic opinion of the main Final Fantasy team if they're having them work on this game instead of a mainline FF game though. If FFXV could sell 6m like previous mainline FFs, the opportunity cost to make Lightning Returns would be pretty huge.
SE is fairly large, and many high profile staff members are unaccounted for at present, so FF15 could very well be in development.

LuuKyK

Square Enix is creatively tapped out.

Final Fantasy: Recycled shit for the third time Edition

Wtf is this? Did you watch the stream? They showed artworks of a whole new world where the game will take place? Where is that recycled from?

Please.

zashga

The gameplay description sounds really weird. An action RPG with a modified version of XIII's combat system... I have a hard time seeing how that will work. Maybe something like Okami? That could be cool, but I probably just set my expectations waaaay too high.

The time limit aspect sounds a lot more like Pikmin than Majora's Mask, since they didn't mention anything about going back if time runs out. A hard limit like Pikmin would probably alienate too many people, so maybe it'll be more like Devil Survivor: lots of optional events and a few unmissable, plot-critical events per day/chapter.

Gothic setting...realtime combat...wait...

Please tell me Versus was not folded into this project and canceled.

You will die, Square.

I thought Versus had more of a modern world setting. You know, with cars and skyscrapers and stuff.

The Adder

Banned
The game is actually called "Lightning Returns"? And the subtitle is Final Fantasy XIII? That makes as much sense as if we called the second Indy movie "Temple of Doom: Indiana Jones". They're really trying to milk all the money they can out this engine aren't they? Or trying to compensate for the money being poured into Final Fantasy Versus XIII.

Rambo: First Blood Part II

Bruno MB

My big problem with this new announcement is that I simply can't stand anything related to the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

I hated Final Fantasy XIII with all my might so I'm biased against anything that reminds me of that title.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not sure if the jokes been made yet, but..

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

even she doesn't like it!
Oh you. lol.

That's my spot right now. I like the ideas, but I can't muster much excitement without seeing actual footage. I would have settled for "FFXIII-2 but better". :X
Yeah, same. Even I wouldn't have minded that. They have a good thing going with what they have right now in terms of attacking but they just need to add some improvements.

As always, yeah, concept art and CG stuff is appealing to some, but not to me. I'd rather see stuff like battle systems and animations in action. And if they've only started development on this very recently, then we aren't going to get that for a while.

Regulus Tera said:
Lightning is the new Sonic.
Regulus, don't be silly.

Lightning has no friends.

I see a lot to complain about but controlling one character should not be one of them.

There are a lot of great games where you control only one character...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Other details regarding Lightning Returns are limited. We do know that the main story takes place hundreds of years after Final Fantasy XIII-2, set in a world called Novus Partus -- which is composed of four islands connected by monorail. The development team told IGN that three of the guiding pillars for the art direction in Lightning Returns are "gothic, mechanical and fantasy."

This game is open-world right? This sounds exactly like Gravity Rush but instead she uses a sword, not her legs.

yami4ct

Regardless of when they announced it, it's just bad management. What other game has had this long of a development time? Too Human?

Taking this long to develop a game just isn't financially practical. Being in development this long means the budget has probably ballooned. It'll be real difficult to recoup that cost. Especially since Versus is a "side" game. If they were smart, they'd make Versus the next main FF game and be done with it. At least it'd have a chance at recouping costs that way. Square really needs to get better control over its dev teams. They need to start delivering products in a timely manner if they have any hope of keeping their brands alive.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I always get really stressed out by time management mechanics but I'm not going to write it off until I know much more. Sounds okay.

Top Bottom