• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind Lightning's outfit, not the greatest but not terrible. However, everything else looked like dog shit. This is a game releasing in 2013? Did Square slash the budget down to 10% of what it took to make FFXIII and XIII-2? God damn.

Zoator

Aside from the framerate locked at 15 fps and low-res textures, the game looks fine, although the trailer didn't really show much to make judgments on. I'm going to chalk the technical issues up to the fact that the game just started development under 4 months ago, but it's still a little boggling why SE would debut the game in that state. I'll remain cautiously optimistic moving forward. I did rather enjoy XIII and XIII-2, despite their flaws.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I really love her cape, the way it moves in the wind when she runs. I think the default design is decent, not really that bad.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I mentioned this to Schala, but for all that talk of being able to freely control Lightning in battle, that combat is looking really damn Semi-Auto. Why does Lightning just let herself get hit by the Behemoth without guarding or moving out of the way? All of the attacks she does are her running towards her opponent in a straight line until she gets close enough to attack and fighting everything face to face instead of flanking or from behind.
She should be attacking from different axes. That's what I was thinking it should have been. Attacking from different axes, hitting different parts of the body to fell the beasts, finding a weak point on them as opposed to just hitting them right in the face. Part of it feels like a "press buttons until it goes down" strategy rather than taking a more intuitive role in combat in terms of evasive action, having a defense be a good offense, etc. It's bugging me a lot.

And those animations. I need to harp on them again. >_<

-googles-
Koko, you should've known better than to google that... :|

It's not just her voice that I don't like, but I really dislike her model. It rubs me the wrong way. Especially when her mouth moves.

One of her "Paradigms" has an evade option. I'm betting that evade option is just the flip she usually does after completing an attack sequence. From the trailer, it seems like it is just the XIII battle system only slightly more streamlined.
That's a paradigm?

Good lord. I thought this sort of thing would be assigned to a button!

Noi

One of her "Paradigms" has an evade option. I'm betting that evade option is just the flip she usually does after completing an attack sequence. From the trailer, it seems like it is just the XIII battle system only slightly more streamlined.

Same deal though. Weren't we going on the assumption that you'd be able to have free control over Lightning's movement? As it is, it's basically XIII/XIII-2 without the menus and attack queue. That sounds even worse in my head.

Epcott

Wow... that trailer (rubs eyes)

I hope that's not indicative of the final product. If it is, no wonder they've removed the trailer from GT :D

When I first watched the city, I thought it was meant to look that way, a play on the old Escher Staircase picture. But when I saw Lightening climbing red marked "climbable items", I realized that no, it's just programmed horribly.

Poor Squenix. I wish could get a few people from the western devs they've been scooping up, to help. But I think that's an unlikely option for them.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Getting used to her weird outfit and her character model looks better than FFXIII-2's at least...The town looks really flat liek everyone has said. I don't think the art is bad per se. It's just that they have fallen very heavily techinically. Just go compare the NPCs in FFXIII and FFXIII-2. They didn't really redraw any new NPCs art wise but everyone had horribly bad and ugly faces.

The combat looks really awkward. It's obvious that they have some new ideas but are forever doomed to reuse the FFXIII battle system and have to dance around it because they don't have the resources to redo the whole thing... The HUD is rather hideous. The combat animations are lazy and are the same ones that they have been using since the first game. I doubt that they will improve much even with more time...

Wow... that trailer (rubs eyes)

I hope that's not indicative of the final product. If it is, no wonder they've removed the trailer from GT :D

They probably removed it because of the embargo. This trailer was supposed to be unveiled at Jump on Sat, Japan time and should had gone online everywhere around the same time.
Putting it up early removes any other possible surprises for SE since they have nothing much to show.

Looks rough but the game is probably still super early.

I was kind of surprised XIII-2 was released this year until someone made a thread about it.

Is this game out next year?

MechaX

That's a paradigm?

Good lord. I thought this sort of thing would be assigned to a button!

It's not so much a paradigm by itself, but I can't really think of a good way to describe how it was presented. Like, one "Paradigm" gave her like 4 or 5 different attack options with no evade option, while another one gave her 4 options and an "Evade" option (like roughly where the square button should be). Maybe it's something that you can customize or something.

I'll rewatch the trailer to make sure.

Edit: Okay, I see. Assuming that this "Divinity" setting is a paradigm so to speak, that one comes with a Guard option. The "Enchanter" and "Cerberus" settings comes with a "Lesser Guard" (???). Another section has Lightning in the Cerberus setting and she has evade there. If the four attack options all correspond to the four face buttons, then Evade/Guard/Lesser Guard would all be mapped to the square button.

But what I find interesting is that the icons kinda "move" like they are matching the button presses. This is extremely trivial, but it seems like some inputs for things like Heavy Attack just require one press while Lightning slashes the enemy for like 5 seconds.

Same deal though. Weren't we going on the assumption that you'd be able to have free control over Lightning's movement? As it is, it's basically XIII/XIII-2 without the menus and attack queue. That sounds even worse in my head.

That was the assumption yeah. But unless the trailer is really rough and early, I think most of the dev talk about the game being more actiony was just them not understanding what "actiony" really means to a general gaming audience.

They removed the trailer from GT because the embargo isn't up until Friday.

They should keep it down. They must have been hoping for the end of the world to happen before they put this up.

Or they are sick bastards and intended this to be the last video game related media we ever saw.

Hmmm. I wonder.

I'm feeling really alienated by all this backlash for this costume, seriously.
How is this worse than the stuff i've seen from FFXIII and FFXIII-2? I'm thinking about the dude with the blue pants or the girl with the pink hair, for example.

I dunno man, it's pretty fucking stupid. It gets worse the more you try to rationalize it.

If you're referring to Serah and Noel in XIII-2 those were pretty fucking stupid too. XIIIs casts clothing didn't look all that bad

This is easily the worst design this universe has shitted out

MrDenny

I'm feeling really alienated by all this backlash for this costume, seriously.
How is this worse than the stuff i've seen from FFXIII and FFXIII-2? I'm thinking about the dude with the blue pants or the girl with the pink hair, for example.
Lightning_XIII_Action_Render.png
Lightning_XIII-2_Action_Render.png
C79BE.png
Her designs were more cohesive in XIII/XIII-2 imo.
She looks over designed in LR.
I wonder what Toriyama requested lightning to look like this time.

LuuKyK

I dunno man, it's pretty fucking stupid. It gets worse the more you try to rationalize it.

If you're referring to Serah and Noel in XIII-2 those were pretty fucking stupid too. XIIIs casts clothing didn't look all that bad

This is easily the worst design this universe has shitted out

Could you be more hyperbolic?

Juken

I'm shocked they didn't work out the framerate issues before releasing a trailer. I guess they're in a hurry to start the media cycle and get it out quickly.

Wasn't expecting much but it was still kind of disappointing. I hate how incoherent the three entries feel...it's like they didn't care about creating a consistent world/art style at all. And the battle system isn't as different as I thought it would be. And Lightning's outfit is dumb.

Welp...I'm still going to get it and try my darnedest to give it a fair shot.

At least the end is finally in sight.

UrbanRats

Her designs were more cohesive in XIII/XIII-2 imo.
She looks over designed in LR.
I wonder what Toriyama requested lightning to look like this time.

Eh, i think her weapon looks horrendous in all three designs, but her clothes, the first one looks more like a normal outfit, although it's full of bullshit details as seen in many Japanese chara designs (5 gloves, 300 puches and belts etc) the second and third one look more like (ultra) stylized combat vests/armors, the third one being more on the futuristic side (which in turn make her look more dynamic and agile) it has even a bit of a The Cell horror vibe, with that black leather.

I can totally understand not liking it as it's pretty dumbass, but it seems to me like on par with the other two.

Having not played the games, maybe in the context of the game it doesn't make any sense, though.

Noi

Eh, i think her weapon looks horrendous in all three designs, but her clothes, the first one looks more like a normal outfit, although it's full of bullshit details as seen in many Japanese chara designs (5 gloves, 300 puches and belts etc) the second and third one look more like (ultra) stylized combat vests/armors, the third one being more on the futuristic side (which in turn make her look more dynamic and agile) it has even a bit of a The Cell horror vibe, with that black leather.

I can totally understand not liking it as it's pretty dumbass, but it seems to me like on par with the other two.

Having not played the games, maybe in the context of the game it doesn't make any sense, though.

I see the opposite. Her XIII outfit looks the most agile, while every outfit after it looks clunkier than the last, with LR's enormous shield taking the cake.

LuuKyK

You can't have it.

It's all mine. GILGAMESH is in it.

I will treasure it forever.

Goddess Lightning and GILGAMESH KING OF HEROES JOIN FORCES!

WOOO!!

Can you be serious at all? I'm starting to doubt.

Oh, and you can have your "copy", just try not to lose it like you seem to have lost your sense of humor.

MechaX

The more I look at this battle system (and when remembering the dev comments about how they wanted each face button to do something in combat or something to that effect), the more it really does seem like they just localized the ATB bar to different face buttons. I admit that the game still has a ways to go (hopefully), but that's just how it looks to me right now.

I would have to wonder if they implemented any means to have Lightning cancel out of her moves like you can in other more action oriented titles (which is very different from just stopping the queue like in XIII/XIII-2). If you cannot, then this will essentially end up being Requiem of the Goddess: The Game if the trailer is representative.

Takuan

The outfit looks good from the back, but terrible from the front.

Town graphics look flat.

Want to know how battles work.

UberTag

I feel about as bored watching this trailer as Ali Hillis must have felt recording Lightning's nonplussed monotone dialogue.

When XIII-2 proved to be a sham that forsake all of the things that actually worked in FFXIII and strung audiences along with over $60 in DLC until the ending that never was, I could at least react with outrage.

With this the only reaction I have is apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom