• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuuKyK

~Praise the goddess~

tumblr_mfb4wfXElq1qcthzao1_250.gif
tumblr_mfb6p7JO1m1qgp6g4o2_250.gif
tumblr_mfb4wfXElq1qcthzao1_250.gif

♥​

Wow this looks like hot garbage. It honestly looks exactly like crisis core, except with a character many people actively dislike, in a world they are sick of, and it isn't running on the fucking PSP where its graphics would be impressive.

Grisby

I'd like a Liara T'soni game please Square.

ON topic: It looks bland and what the heck at showing only one party member?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gotta capture that western audience!
Sometimes I feel like they think the western audience is incredibly shallow and generally want a homogenized set of games when variety and sticking to your own design philosophy is best.

I felt like FF13-2 was a game that tried to appeal to everyone by throwing in everything including the kitchen sink and I wouldn't be surprised if the same idea applied here.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This looks really off. Bad textures and lighting looks odd. I'm assuming it got taken down because its an unfinished trailer.

Sometimes I feel like they think the western audience is incredibly shallow and generally want a homogenized set of games when variety and sticking to your own design philosophy is best.

I felt like FF13-2 was a game that tried to appeal to everyone by throwing in everything including the kitchen sink and I wouldn't be surprised if the same idea applied here.

I thought the opposite with 13-2. It felt like it was trying to appeal to the old-FF fans and 13 was their attempt at westernizing.

MrDenny

Usually sequels are suppose to look better than it's predecessors.
Did Toriyama get pulled into a time paradox where time is flowing the wrong way?
Graphically, FFXIII>XIII-2>LR

i-Lo

Gotta capture that western audience!

Sometimes it's sad that these big corporations that churn out these games forget that these aren't just commodities. They blatantly miss the ever present evidence of what makes a game popular with a crowd that wasn't perhaps its intended demographic, i.e. its idiosyncrasy. This is same fear of loss of identity, that people have with DS2 and it has been realised with FF13 which has progressively become worse with each release. Now the character design for Lighting is a hodgepodge of multiple ideas with added lunacy. It's as if committee designed her latest attire for mass market appeal and handed it over some hipster artist for that little bit of flamboyance. Going from FF13 to this, her dress design has gone from being somewhat believable to cosplaying as half a chocobo to BDSM queen with an armour and a ton of flailing bits.

Khrno

Usually sequels are suppose to look better than it's predecessors.
Did Toriyama get pulled into a time paradox where time is flowing the wrong way?
Graphically, FFXIII>XIII-2>LR

Nah, all his staff got moved to a different game, you can't really do much with just a bunch of people.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

Capcom did the same with RE6. RE5 actually ended up selling 6 million to a much smaller PS3/360 install base and they are now struggling to do the same with RE6. Changing the design philosophy when it isn't even needed is a logic I will never understand.

---

Watched the trailer, I really don't understand what they are trying to do here. It's not appealing at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought the opposite with 13-2. It felt like it was trying to appeal to the old-FF fans and 13 was their attempt at westernizing.
I disagree on the basis that I felt that there was little cohesiveness between many of the elements they had introduced and utilized in that game (ex: dungeon design, some of the games, some of the side content, some options, difficulty, etc.).

I like to think I'm an old FF fan... :(

Dragun619

Looks like it's a step down from the two. Not really feeling Lightning's costume either. Would prefer her costume design to be a bit more practical like FFXIII.

Did SE give a time frame when this is releasing?

Noi

I mentioned this to Schala, but for all that talk of being able to freely control Lightning in battle, that combat is looking really damn Semi-Auto. Why does Lightning just let herself get hit by the Behemoth without guarding or moving out of the way? All of the attacks she does are her running towards her opponent in a straight line until she gets close enough to attack and fighting everything face to face instead of flanking or from behind.

Sometimes it's sad that these big corporations that churn out these games forget that these aren't just commodities. They blatantly miss the ever present evidence of what makes a game popular with a crowd that wasn't perhaps its intended demographic, i.e. its idiosyncrasy. This is same fear of loss of identity, that people have with DS2 and it has been realised with FF13 which has progressively become worse with each release. Now the character design for Lighting is a hodgepodge of multiple ideas with added lunacy. It's as if committee designed her latest attire for mass market appeal and handed it over some hipster artist for that little bit of flamboyance. Going from FF13 to this, her dress design has gone from being somewhat believable to cosplaying as half a chocobo to BDSM queen with an armour and a ton of flailing bits.

I spit out my drink.

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh God I forgot Chocolina made her return

Please, no more of her

-googles-

Erm...what?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Chocolina

Yoshinori Kitase has stated that Chocolina was created as a waitress in Serendipity originally, but the game's director, Motomu Toriyama, liked her design and wanted to make sure that she was featured more prominently. This led to her becoming a shop clerk, and even having her own dialogue and background history. The art director of Final Fantasy XIII-2, Isamu Kamikokuryo, has said in an interview that the inclusion of the scantily clad vendor was nonchalant and harmless, but once she was integrated into the game, she was a stark contrast to the game's tone, and went on to say that if gamers were to find it surprising it was a job well done on the developers' part.

...oh..

Don't worry, Yoshida does, what Toriyama doesn't.

Well, that looks vastly more interesting, but I'm more concerned with the gameplay myself.

lol, seriously...

Maybe they were trying to cater to two different audiences, but what those audiences are I have no idea.

Halfmunch

Looks interesting, I kind of like the new outfit. Town looks lifeless and empty based on that trailer... Hopefully it will improve~

MechaX

Her voice is one of my favorite things about her lol

Chocolina isn't even the worst thing that has been in the FF series, let alone in the XIII series, but man, she just really creeps me out.

I mentioned this to Schala, but for all that talk of being able to freely control Lightning in battle, that combat is looking really damn Semi-Auto. Why does Lightning just let herself get hit by the Behemoth without guarding or moving out of the way? All of the attacks she does are her running towards her opponent in a straight line until she gets close enough to attack and fighting everything face to face instead of flanking or from behind.

One of her "Paradigms" has an evade option. I'm betting that evade option is just the flip she usually does after completing an attack sequence. From the trailer, it seems like it is just the XIII battle system only slightly more streamlined.

UrbanRats

WHAT IS THIS?

C79BE.png

I'm feeling really alienated by all this backlash for this costume, seriously.
How is this worse than the stuff i've seen from FFXIII and FFXIII-2? I'm thinking about the dude with the blue pants or the girl with the pink hair, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom