• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why is there hit slowdown in that gif? :/

Hm. I don't like how guard is assigned to a button like that, though. I feel as though since it's considered a Defender-like ability, it'll eat up a bit of the ATB bar as well. And when she slashes at the behemoth as he raises his arm, she doesn't appear to cancel his attack, which is disheartening. It almost seems as though the enemies are merely sponges. I don't see any knockback or anything from that hit slowdown. I don't like it. It feels... off.

I need to watch the footage again. So far, we've determined that the animations are the same as the previous two games for reasons unknown (fucking really?), the button/attacks are like Type-0's, it seems Lightning likes to attack things in the face as opposed to moving in different directions to counter or stagger an enemy in an ARPG sort of way, positioning doesn't seem to matter...

A lot of this reminds me of Requiem of the Goddess. A lot of it.

toleoring said:
so in LRXIII's world people just use straight English.....Languages of Etro and Gran Pulse have been discarded...
Paging Dunan.

Tzeentch

The "HD" town looks absolutely godawful. The parts of the towns you see in FF13 and FF13-2 actually looked pretty cool. Some of the buildings in the battle looked like a single flat plane with a diffuse texture.

The rest of it ... well I think it looks ok so far, aside from the framerate. I liked her goddess costume in FF13-2 a lot more though.

Just watched it, the shield really does look like something out of gundam. FF13-2 was a fun game, maybe this will be too. But I still can't stand lightning.

Vamphuntr

PSY・S;45604636 said:
I'm out.

ibuB9dPueAMVVM.gif

The animation when she's sliding down the pole is so bad. The physics of her cape is great though.

595ea70870380e8fdd9db2e7268366dffac72765.png

so in LRXIII's world people just use straight English.....Languages of Etro and Gran Pulse have been discarded...

Good observation. Isn't this supposed to take place in an entirely different world anyway? Guess this will be their excuse.

It's just you.

No more hats and ties for your behemoth.

zashga

Eesh. Not a fan of Lightning's new look, and the environments look really bad. It's all completely disconnected from anything we saw in the last two games; I don't really understand what I'm seeing here. The sunglasses are particularly cringe-worthy.

595ea70870380e8fdd9db2e7268366dffac72765.png

I know that says north station, but it kinda looks like "math station" to me. Edit: beaten...

Aeana

Eesh. Not a fan of Lightning's new look, and the environments look really bad. It's all completely disconnected from anything we saw in the last two games; I don't really understand what I'm seeing here. The sunglasses are particularly cringe-worthy.

I know that says north station, but it kinda looks like "math station" to me.

I didn't see North there until you said so. It's totally Math Station.

Really that Versus trailer from two years ago has a smoother framerate than this.

Don't mind me, just fueling the fire at this point

Ashodin

WOW. The environment looks TERRIBLE.

The blocky walls, the lack of any details in the environment (signs, benches, debris, dust, etc) is pretty nasty.

LuuKyK

I'm doing a summary of everything Lightning Returns for all the misinformed people in here to be educated about whats true and whats not, including supposition based on the trailer. Will be posted as soon as its complete. You are welcome.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
*Thinks GAF is overreacting to trailer*

*Watches trailer*

God dammit, you were not overreacting! This better be just a terrible trailer, and just that. Dammit, Square Enix.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm doing a summary of everything Lightning Return for all the misinformed people in here to be educated about whats true and whats not, including supposition based on the trailer. Will be posted as soon as its complete. You are welcome.

*Will try to tear it apart*

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gimme a break, brah. I've watched the silly thing lots of times already. :|

So... what's this battle system going to be called? It can't be called CSB since there isn't anyone else to have synergy with.

I was just telling Noi this, but I really dislike how fucking huge that excuse for a HUD is. You can't see everything you want to. It obscures the enemy, the enemy/your animations, your enemy's movement for animations, etc. It seems incredibly cluttered for combat involving just one person. If their intent is for more fluid and action-like combat, perhaps it might have been a better idea to strip some portions of that humungous HUD so the player can actually anticipate the enemy's actions in order to produce a counter or evasion tactic? Did... no one think of that when designing that huge ugly thing?

I actually liked how noninvasive the other 13 games' HUDs were purely because I could see every enemy animation and every ally animation when I needed to do something really quick. Here? That is just... awful.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Gimme a break, brah. I've watched the silly thing lots of times already. :|

So... what's this battle system going to be called? It can't be called CSB since there isn't anyone else to have synergy with.

I was just telling Noi this, but I really dislike how fucking huge that excuse for a HUD is. You can't see everything you want to. It obscures the enemy, the enemy/your animations, your enemy's movement for animations, etc. It seems incredibly cluttered for combat involving just one person. If their intent is for more fluid and action-like combat, perhaps it might have been a better idea to strip some portions of that humungous HUD so the player can actually anticipate the enemy's actions in order to produce a counter or evasion tactic? Did... no one think of that when designing that huge ugly thing?

I would have honestly accepted a ripoff of Type 0.

That hud is just ridiculous.

AB12

I'm doing a summary of everything Lightning Returns for all the misinformed people in here to be educated about whats true and whats not, including supposition based on the trailer. Will be posted as soon as its complete. You are welcome.

You are two games too late.
And Toriyama is involved.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The HUD is really ugly. I hope that's not final.

It's coming out in less than a year. Didn't XIII-2 receive shots of the HUD around the similar time frame and it didn't change? I feel like this might not change...

There is like 20 pieces of cloth animating at once on lightning, no wonder town looks like shit.

And 13-2 didn't run hot?

Didn't Square spent like half a decade making these crystal tool things?

Jarmel

Banned
That framerate. Jesus, I'm not one to nitpick those in trailers but it looked like the game was crashing at times. Oh man.

Also I approve of the stripper pole. SE is finally being honest.

PK Gaming

Damn is she really flying solo

i'm pining for some party members here

(or if i can't have that, multiple alt costumes because her outfit is weak :/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom