• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Shot like these:
rMGbe.jpg

Illustrate show not only how utterly lifeless the game world is but also the fucking awful art direction in this game. There is no sense of color, coordination, placement, or in short anything that looks decent. Atleast with some games they might try to go for style instead of realism but in this case it looks like neither exist. Just looking at this shot in XIII-2 shows how far SE has actually regressed:
ffxiii-2_academia_01.jpg

In this XIII-2 shot, it looks futuristic based off of something like Syd Mear and looks to have a clear style. Here in LR, I don't know what the hell to make of this. The game looks unfinished like they forgot to add textures. We won't even talk about the population density in the town. Jesus, the game looks awful, even the geometry is flat as a washboard. The world in XIII-2 looked like a place that I actually might want to explore. LR is as forgettable as humanly possible.

LuuKyK

I find it funny that the last time, you acknowledged I had a point, but now you're so mad and defensive that you don't give a damn what I think. That's fine and all, but if you don't care what I think, then why bother replying at all? Mayhaps you're a bit worn from defending Lightning and the terrible direction she represents the past few days?

Mad? Defensive? What? Why would that be the case? I'm not making any effort to defend her, I'm just stating facts. In fact I couldn't be happier with the direction Square is taking, since I'm a fan of her character and the games she is in.

Can't agree more. I disliked a whole lot about 13 and 13-2, but at least everytime I saw it, it looked visually interesting. This just seems so drab and lifeless.

Mad? Defensive? What? Why would that be the case? I'm not making any effort to defend her, I'm just stating facts. In fact I couldn't be happier with the direction Square is taking, since I'm a fan of her character and the games she is in.

Well, you seem upset considering you "couldn't care less" about what we think, when in the past you've been much more reasonable. I mean, cmon. Did you take this guy seriously?

07-minister.jpg

Then how can we take you seriously? He was more believable.

abadguy

Banned
Eh, i think her weapon looks horrendous in all three designs, but her clothes, the first one looks more like a normal outfit, although it's full of bullshit details as seen in many Nomura chara designs (5 gloves, 300 puches and belts etc) the second and third one look more like (ultra) stylized combat vests/armors, the third one being more on the futuristic side (which in turn make her look more dynamic and agile) it has even a bit of a The Cell horror vibe, with that black leather.

I can totally understand not liking it as it's pretty dumbass, but it seems to me like on par with the other two.

Having not played the games, maybe in the context of the game it doesn't make any sense, though.

Fixed for accuracy....

jimmypython

Shot like these:
rMGbe.jpg

Illustrate show not only how utterly lifeless the game world is but also the fucking awful art direction in this game. There is no sense of color, coordination, placement, or in short anything that looks decent. Atleast with some games they might try to go for style instead of realism but in this case it looks like neither exist. Just looking at this shot in XIII-2 shows how far SE has actually regressed:
ffxiii-2_academia_01.jpg

In this XIII shot, it looks futuristic based off of something like Syd Mear and looks to have a clear style. Here in LR, I don't know what the hell to make of this. The game looks unfinished like they forgot to add textures. We won't even talk about the population density in the town. Jesus, the game looks awful, even the geometry is flat as a washboard.

This could mean the core FFXIII/FFXIII-2 team (aka the elite team) has been redirected to other more important projects, which could be a good thing..

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I noticed that the more transparent bars at the top of the HUD are the ATB meters for the different paradigms. When Light swaps, one of the transparent ones switches with the one in front. Makes the that whole section look really cluttered.
It wouldn't be so cluttered if everything weren't so huge.

I think they forgot what "less is more" meant.

That looked really really bad. They should rename it to final fantasy: the box or something cuz that was more blocky then minecraft.

Not even noel can save this.

Gorillaz

Hope there is a bonus stripper pole scene for getting the Platinum trophy.
Come on Son you know that's the preorder DLC
Maybe one of her costumes will be a Bayonetta one.

Maybe it would come with a free sense of humor and a personality because lord knows muh gurl Lightning could use some.

She kind of had personality in the first game but, they basically dropped all of that in 13-2. Like I said, the plan from the start was the ambush everything they built up from the start.

Gotta admit, I haven't seen a company try this hard to destroy it's own universe in awhile.

Jarmel

Banned
This could mean the core FFXIII/FFXIII-2 team (aka the elite team) has been redirected to other more important projects, which could be a good thing..

If this is case then I can accept the game looking like dogshit both on an artistic and technical standpoint. However we're also talking about the company that pumped out XIV.

Also I thought a good number of the XIII crew is working on fixing XIV anyway.
Granted, there's two more cities we have yet to see.

I'm interested in the Fantasy themed one.

Holy shit so 1/3 of the game takes place in this unfinished and lifeless town? I was hoping this would be a quick starter town but if there are only three towns then good god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts&feature=youtu.be

Wow, don't get me wrong, the game does indeed need some polish and work at this phase, but people seem to be overreacting like always. It didn't look THAT bad. Actually, I think it looked promising. The combat looks and will most likely be satisfying which should count for something. Now the frame rate was chugging in certain scenes, but its not the slide show everyone made it out to be. Isn't the game still pretty early anyway? I just hope they are not trying to replicate more western games such as Assassin's Creed to try to appeal to finicky gamers. I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSAdgXU1ts&feature=youtu.be

Wow, don't get me wrong, the game does indeed need some polish and work at this phase, but people seem to be overreacting like always. It didn't look THAT bad. Actually, I think it looked promising. The combat looks and will most likely be satisfying which should count for something. Now the frame rate was chugging in certain scenes, but its not the slide show everyone made it out to be. Isn't the game still pretty early anyway? I'm looking forward to it.
You can get hyped for Toriyama games all you want, no ones stopping you.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Watching that video: game still has frame rate issues in a moderately barren city.

Battles still take place in flat expanses, there is no city skybox:

Just box shaped buildings.

Pole-slide animation looks cheap.

Has anyone else noticed that the flat out stole the Persona 3 green clock ticking midnight shot, and that everything that Lightning can climb in the environment is the exact same shade of red as objects were in Mirrors Edge?

Stuart444

I loved FFXIII and XIII-2 but this video...

I'm guessing it's an alpha build and there will be more polish added to it before release (at least I hope so) because if it looks like this at least... it just looks so rushed.

I do wonder why they thought this was a good video to show off to the public. Low texture, frame rate, shadows, etc and the UI doesn't look that great. The animations do look weird since they look like FFXIIIs animations unchanged but put into an ARPG style situation and it doesn't mesh well.

They are showing this off at Jump Festa right? If so, I hope they get some appropriate feedback since I think most people, even in SEs home territory (Japan) would find something wrong just from watching that trailer. And at an event like Jump Festa, they can't hide behind surveys like "What do you like most about the trailer?" (yes, like that lightning one that was sent out a while back)

I don't usually come into these threads to bash FFXIII related games (since as I said, I loved the previous 2) but there is no way to defend textures that look like they come from FFVIII (I mean I loved VIII but this is a PS3 game, not a PS1 game damn it...)

If the final game is anything close to this, it will look really rushed. I'll get it and hope it finishes off the story the best it can but still... I hope the final game looks better than this.

I still wonder why they thought this was a good video to show off this game. Meh, I was looking forward to the video until I actually saw it.

MCD

The bad graphics and lack of color is very reminiscent of Tri-Ace.

Tri-Ace, ruining Square-Enix from within.

LuuKyK

Has anyone else noticed that the flat out stole the Persona 3 green clock ticking midnight shot, and that everything that Lightning can climb in the environment is the exact same shade of red as objects were in Mirrors Edge?

Yes, because every green clock is influenced by Persona 3 and every red object is influenced by Mirrors Edge. Come on Snapshot. Its really hard to agree with you on something lately. -__-

Prax

I thought it was going to be a PSP game possibly due to the .. unpolished look of it (poor shadows, lazy architecture, general everything! what the..). I know it MIGHT make more sense that it would be a VITA release, but now knowing at the end of the trailer that it's a PS3/360 game..
I don't know maaan..

I haven't really been pleased with the direction of the FF series for a long time now, but yeah.. I think milking this numbered iteration with sequels/spinoffs/whatever they call it makes it even worse.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still wonder why they thought this was a good video to show off this game. Meh, I was looking forward to the video until I actually saw it.
Yeah, same. Like, I didn't go into this thinking that was going to be terrible. I didn't want it to be terrible because the ideas on paper sounded very interesting.

But seeing it in action? Gosh... I dunno. I can't say I agree with their design aesthetics, nor can I say that I can agree with them using the same animations for Lightning in this game even though it would be beneficial to use new animations since they want it to be more fluid.

I'm disappointed, man.

Eccocid

Yes, because every green clock is influenced by Persona 3 and every red object is influenced by Mirrors Edge. Come on Snapshot. Its really hard to agree with you on something lately. -__-

Mirrors Edge popped in my head too when i saw those red objects that you can interact in the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom