• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, same. Like, I didn't go into this thinking that was going to be terrible. I didn't want it to be terrible because the ideas on paper sounded very interesting.

But seeing it in action? Gosh... I dunno. I can't say I agree with their design aesthetics, nor can I say that I can agree with them using the same animations for Lightning in this game even though it would be beneficial to use new animations since they want it to be more fluid.

I'm disappointed, man.

It's just what I was expecting honestly.

I mean...it's Toriyama.

Come on now.

NeoUltima

Why is this trailer being released? It looks horrid. Not ready to be shown at all.

The thought of someone approving the trailer is pretty funny actually.

Yes, because every green clock is influenced by Persona 3 and every red object is influenced by Mirrors Edge. Come on Snapshot. Its really hard to agree with you on something lately. -__-

Again you choose to selectively misread my statement. First, I say that the green clock shot is IDENTICAL to Persona 3s, I mean it.

http://youtu.be/m1Qr6oTjxfQ?t=18m23s

http://youtu.be/ajSAdgXU1ts?t=39s

Also, as for the Mirrors Edge stuff, I'm not saying, HEY! LOOK! ITS RED THEY COPIED IT! I'm saying, hey, colouring all climbable objects in the environment the exact same shade of a colour as the game that popularized that several years ago looks super lazy.

EDIT: Christ even I can't read my own posts, I didn't say it was identical, I said they stole it. Which they did, because it's identical. I was confusing my inner monologue with my actual post there for a second.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It looks to me like the battles are no longer ATB based, but you get some sort of direct control ala Kingdom hearts, seeing as the commands are laid out roughly where the buttons are on the controller.

The graphics definitely took a hit. The ff13 series of games basically regressed graphically with each iteration :/

Still, graphics or not everything. Give me an actual fun game to play and a story that makes a some sense and you'll get my money SE.

Again you choose to selectively misread my statement. First, I say that the green clock shot is IDENTICAL to Persona 3s, I mean it.

Also, as for the Mirrors Edge stuff, I'm not saying, HEY! LOOK! ITS RED THEY COPIED IT! I'm saying, hey, colouring all climbable objects in the environment the exact same shade of a colour as the game that popularized that several years ago looks super lazy.

EDIT: Christ even I can't read my own posts, I didn't say it was identical, I said they stole it. Which they did, because it's identical. I was confusing my inner monologue with my actual post there for a second.

Those aren't identical at all. They're not even the same colour.

Look at the numbers on each of the clocks. Completely different

SoulUnison

Banned
Ya know, I didn't mind Lightning's character shift in XIII-2 because it always seemed like something she didn't necessarily want to do, but that it was a role she knew she had to fill for reasons that would be revealed later. Etro and time travel and Caius and all that.

But what the hell is this Lightning? Without commenting on character or story, I thought Lightning's design and outfit in XIII were fantastic. It was a conservative, "tough", look that seemed practical for the setting.

Lightning's *character* shifted from XIII's "We'll decide our own fate!" to XIII-2's "I am a tool of the Goddess! Predestination is the way of the Universe!" But, again, I tolerated it because it seemed that Lightning was playing the role almost begrudgingly, in some sort of "lesser of two evils" scenario.

Now LR Lightning is some kind of Bikini Warrior Goddess. She's starting to sound like Cloud with her deep, angsty way of saying everything, except, where Cloud constantly sounds pessimistic, Lightning nearly always seems to sound full of herself now. Going around whipping off sunglasses dramatically in her Battle Stripper attire.

She looks like some sort of one-off crossover DLC with XIII-2 and Bayonetta.

And where'd the beautiful environments of XIII and XIII-2 go? Almost every environment in that trailer looked embarrassingly bad with occasional framerates in the teens. The "battle background" looked like something from FF IX.

I thought reducing the playable party to just Lightning was going to speed things up a lot and make this more of a Kingdom Hearts style Action RPG, but instead it just looks like they threw out every improvement they made in XIII-2 and stuck Lightning in some kind of super slow, janky, Devil May Cry Arena.

Nearly every interesting character in the XIII saga has been left behind plot-wise at this point, too. Where's Sazh in this? Snow? Hope's apparently still around, but he's something of a walking DEM. Sarah's out of the picture, who knows where Noel is. Isn't there still a ton of his and Caius' storyline to take care of? I guess Fang and Vanille can always show up due to sparkly magic.

Man, I was so excited for this game when it was announced. It sounded like they were building again on XIII-2 and really stepping up the battle and game systems, but this trailer is just total anti-hype. This looks like a game that might have been a tech demo or a proof of concept or something for the *original* XIII.

LuuKyK

flat out stole

?

Edit: Oh...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm chuckling to myself about how Noi and I desperately wanted to see the alpha footage because the battle system seemed interesting to us.

Positioning mattering is probably associated with Defender commands. I was expecting something like ranged attacks, evading/blocking with a button (preferably a trigger button), running around, attacking the monster from behind, hitting a weak spot, shortening the time your spell hits the enemy by casting it very close... stuff like that.

Hahaha... ha... meh.

LuuKyK

I'm chuckling to myself about how Noi and I desperately wanted to see the alpha footage because the battle system seemed interesting to us.

Positioning mattering is probably associated with Defender commands. I was expecting something like ranged attacks, evading/blocking with a button (preferably a trigger button), attacking the monster from behind, hitting a weak spot, shortening the time your spell hits the enemy by casting it very close... stuff like that.

Hahaha... ha... meh.

Did you really expect that? Even I didn't think they would change the battle system that much...

Positioning mattering is probably associated with Defender commands. I was expecting something like ranged attacks, evading/blocking with a button (preferably a trigger button), running around, attacking the monster from behind, hitting a weak spot, shortening the time your spell hits the enemy by casting it very close... stuff like that.

Hahaha... ha... meh.

I think you set your expectations WAY too high Schala.

Aru

Oh well, I couldn't resist watching the trailer after reading all those posts here on GAF.
Lightning's outfit is surprising, but I don't hate it.
Battle system looks like what they promised so far (and this is what people should have expected based on Requiem of the Goddess DLC and the first news about LR's battle system).
The town looked cool, but I sure hope they fix that framerate.

Stark

Banned
Did you really expect that? Even I didn't think they would change the battle system that much...

I'm thinking this is stuff (build) even before that. I think they had mentioned hints of some of it being in there and they might not be showing it for PR purposes or still in development. :eek:

Ran rp

You can trust me :)
image.php

That is ridiculously adorable/hilarious.

If expecting fun engaging battle systems is having high expectations what kind of shit world do we live in.

The kinds of things Schala wants have never even happened in any video game ever as far as I know...

Now, to expect that to come out of THIS game, in particular, well...

ReaperXL7

Its fucking sad, and very ironic that final fantasy is the brand that is killing square- enix when it was the series that brought them back from the brink.

I hope versus is amazing and is what we all hope it will be, but my ability to have faith in them is growing dimmer with every announcement, nothing lasts forever I guess.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, I did. I swore I read that positioning was going to matter in this game.

And that's what I wanted out of this game. The 13 games were incredibly irksome in that I could not tell my characters how to position themselves (especially if a defender decides to aggro and a healer's standing right next to them and feeling a brush of an AoE attack--that's just incredibly ridiculous). If I wanted someone to evade an enemy hit, they shouldn't be randomly walking up to an enemy when they're not attacking it because that's just silly. Sometimes when casters cast spells, the "throw" spells like Fire take longer to get to an enemy when they should really be walking up a little bit and casting them so they hit the enemy faster because of a shorter range. That sort of thing.

That's what it means for positioning to matter. It's not just evade this or block this. It's also for elegance and efficiency in battle.

Meccanical said:
If expecting fun engaging battle systems is having high expectations what kind of shit world do we live in.
Nope, I'm just supposed to sit there and hit a button and let the game do the work for me. Obviously.

The kinds of things Schala wants have never even happened in any video game ever as far as I know...
I...

I think I'm going to... go to bed...

Is it confirmed we can't control Lightning's positioning on the battlefield?

If that's true, I am also pretty disappointed about that.

EDIT: As far as my last comment goes, Schala, I reread your post and realized that my last post was a gross exaggeration... sorry about that... haha

Gladly they aren't, since a company is supposed to go on instead of being stuck in the past.

Yeah, the past where they made good games. That's the point he's trying to make. Not of a certain style, or graphical precedent or what have you, but a simple level of quality.

Beth Cyra

Yeah, the past where they made good games. That's the point he's trying to make. Not of a certain style, or graphical precedent or what have you, but a simple level of quality.

Maybe, but you would also need to agree the games he listed are of implied quality and/or that they peaked in that time frame which was implied.

Neither of these things I remotely agree with so I most certainly don't want SE focusing any more on that time period then they must.

Exentryk

Yes, I did. I swore I read that positioning was going to matter in this game.

And that's what I wanted out of this game. The 13 games were incredibly irksome in that I could not tell my characters how to position themselves (especially if a defender decides to aggro and a healer's standing right next to them and feeling a brush of an AoE attack--that's just incredibly ridiculous). If I wanted someone to evade an enemy hit, they shouldn't be randomly walking up to an enemy when they're not attacking it because that's just silly. Sometimes when casters cast spells, the "throw" spells like Fire take longer to get to an enemy when they should really be walking up a little bit and casting them so they hit the enemy faster because of a shorter range. That sort of thing.

That's what it means for positioning to matter. It's not just evade this or block this. It's also for elegance and efficiency in battle.

That's why you used more Thunder magic instead of Fire or Blizzard. But yeah, positioning would have added a bit of depth to the battle system. This is where Versus will excel to an extent, just like KH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom