• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

arumisan

Damn is she really flying solo

i'm pining for some party members here

(or if i can't have that, multiple alt costumes because her outfit is weak :/)

Think they said it's only be one-member party i.e. Lightning only. Maybe there'll be times when you can play with more?

As for the costumes thing, it's been confirmed that there's multiple costumes. She's an an alt costume during one of the gameplay portions.

Beth Cyra

You realize you are talking to someone with a Lightning avatar.
I like Final Fantasy XIII (though this is because of Fang and Sazh) so I know that it's possible to be fans of the game, and I hope Lightning and not be completely insane.

The weird TP thing did give me pause to wonder however.

Zeal

Banned
Why would you seriously take people from Versus to work on this flaming turd.

Versus comes out in 2013 or I better never hear anyone even utter the name Square Enix again.

_woLf

I can't trust anyone with a FF avatar nowadays.....

I have an FF avatar and I'm mostly as upset as the rest of you guys. Pretty much the one thing I *don't* have a problem with is Lightning's costume, though. Especially since you'll be able to change it.

The gameplay is hard to judge because we haven't seen enough of it. The graphics however, good christ...

Noi

But its not even that much bigger than it was on XIII-2:

final-fantasy-xiii-2-2vuav1.jpg

You can actally see most of the lower screen in that screenshot. The thick black sword and four large command names in LR block everything.

MCD

It looks unpolished but game isn't coming out any time soon.

And thankfully, I have enough backlog to forget about it till then.

Gimme a break, brah. I've watched the silly thing lots of times already. :|

So... what's this battle system going to be called? It can't be called CSB since there isn't anyone else to have synergy with.

I was just telling Noi this, but I really dislike how fucking huge that excuse for a HUD is. You can't see everything you want to. It obscures the enemy, the enemy/your animations, your enemy's movement for animations, etc. It seems incredibly cluttered for combat involving just one person. If their intent is for more fluid and action-like combat, perhaps it might have been a better idea to strip some portions of that humungous HUD so the player can actually anticipate the enemy's actions in order to produce a counter or evasion tactic? Did... no one think of that when designing that huge ugly thing?

I actually liked how noninvasive the other 13 games' HUDs were purely because I could see every enemy animation and every ally animation when I needed to do something really quick. Here? That is just... awful.
Eh?

Beth Cyra

Why would you seriously take people from Versus to work on this flaming turd.

Versus comes out in 2013 or I better never hear anyone even utter the name Square Enix again.
Uhh do we have any reason to believe this has happened?

Nomura's team helped on XIII but the majority of XIII-2 was out sourced to tri-ace. The only thing we really know is Nomura can't talk about Versus till certain titles are out, him losing his team a second time though I've never heard rumor of.

LuuKyK

Damn is she really flying solo

i'm pining for some party members here

(or if i can't have that, multiple alt costumes because her outfit is weak :/)

Its already confirmed there are like 20 costumes to unlock in the game.

You realize you are talking to someone with a Lightning avatar.

Yes, and because I have a Lightning avatar I am unable to like other games/characters. Try harder. My opinion is as valid as yours.

You can actally see most of the lower screen in that screenshot. The thick black sword in LR blocks everything.

Well, if its important for you to see the characters feet, than ok...

Gorillaz

PSY・S;45604636 said:

This gif will have great mileage.

Math Signs
Pole dancing
I honestly feel 13 is a literal joke with SE, like they want to see how far they can destroy the universe they spent all this time trying to explain.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But its not even that much bigger than it was on XIII-2:

final-fantasy-xiii-2-2vuav1.jpg
Really? That huge expanse of black space blocking everything at the bottom of the screen isn't a problem for you? Compared to the FF13-2 screen you just posted, you can easily see that the ATB doesn't take up a mass amount of the bottom part of the screen, and the HP bars are elegantly placed. You can actually see the lower portion of the screen in that case. Watching movements for quick Optima Changing and timing attacks is key for perfect synergy.

Here you have four commands + a huge black bar covering the bottom of the screen, and in some cases obscuring animations and parts of what you're doing to the enemy (especially when the camera travels with you). That doesn't do much to help your cause for elegant and quick attacking/countering/cancelling.

Femmeworth said:
Compared to this.

This gif will have great mileage.

Math Signs
Pole dancing
I honestly feel 13 is a literal joke with SE, like they want to see how far they can destroy the universe they spent all this time trying to explain.

They kind of did that.

Gran Pulse? Gone.

Cocoon?

Gone.

All the lore and plot points that didn't involve Lightning in some way?

Gone

We Lightning now homeboy.

Exentryk

Hopefully Japanese and North American audiences can send a message by not buying this game at launch.
It's the only way Square Enix will learn.
If this outsells FFXIII-2's meager numbers, we're fucked.

Yeah, I won't be buying it at launch, if at all.

That was never confirmed.

Wada did say that the XIV has pushed out the HD games by 1-2 years. Since Toriyama's games keep coming out, Versus is the only real victim.

So is Dark Lightning going to be a boss? Final Boss?

Well Nomura designed a new costume for Snow too(OH FUCKING BOY THAT WILL BE GREAT) so maybe my wish will come true and he will be the final boss.

Toriyama would think it's deep because he spent the whole time being obsessed with being a hero only to end up a villain.

The usual suspects on this board would eat it up.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Well Nomura designed a new costume for Snow too(OH FUCKING BOY THAT WILL BE GREAT) so maybe my wish will come true and he will be the final boss.

Toriyama would think it's deep because he spent the whole time being obsessed with being a hero only to end up a villain.

Maybe Snow will get an Ultros hairstyle instead of a chocobo this time around. He'll have dreadlocks or stuff. rofl.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

Snow's Fal'cie master only makes this more likely.

Fudgemuffins.

Gorillaz

They kind of did that.

Gran Pulse? Gone.

Cocoon?

Gone.

All the lore and plot points that didn't involve Lightning in some way?

Gone

We Lightning now homeboy.

So this is it. Lightning is all that remains that hasn't been completely fucked up.

Guess we going out in a bang...or stripper pole

So this is it. Lightning is all that remains that hasn't been completely fucked up.

Guess we going out in a bang...or stripper pole

Maybe one of her costumes will be a Bayonetta one.

Maybe it would come with a free sense of humor and a personality because lord knows muh gurl Lightning could use some.

Noi

I noticed that the more transparent bars at the top of the HUD are the ATB meters for the different paradigms. When Light swaps, one of the transparent ones switches with the one in front. Makes the that whole section look really cluttered.

Well, if its important for you to see the characters feet, than ok...

Why do I even bother trying to explain things to you.

Esura

Banned
Maybe one of her costumes will be a Bayonetta one.

Maybe it would come with a free sense of humor and a personality because lord knows muh gurl Lightning could use some.

So Lightning covered up only by her pink hair Bayonetta style?

I'm ok with that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I noticed that the more transparent bars at the top of the HUD are the ATB meters for the different paradigms. When Light swaps, one of the transparent ones switches with the one in front. Makes the that whole section look really cluttered.

Why do I even bother trying to explain things to you.

I'm surprised you haven't given up.

I couldn't care less about what you both think. My mind won't change, and my opinion will remain as solid as it ever was. I think you should start caring more about what you think instead of picking on the others.

I find it funny that the last time, you acknowledged I had a point, but now you're so mad and defensive that you don't give a damn what I think. That's fine and all, but if you don't care what I think, then why bother replying at all? Mayhaps you're a bit worn from defending Lightning and the terrible direction she represents the past few days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom