• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

That sunglasses part was totally stupid. Lightning's outfit makes her look completely out of place.

That said, I thought the battles would take place on the field but I guess not. They're using 'color things you can climb/hold', from how they described it early on I thought it would be more freeform.

Lol they removed the trailer!

Rough first look. It was a really boring environment to show with a brief glimpse at a battle system that looks like the last two games.

They should have just went all CG

kaioshade

First trailer, I assume it is VERY early footage. Towns can be improved. I am sure the framerate will improve as well. Not feeling the outfit / glasses, but looks interesting enough.

Andrefpvs

Those battle animations look so bad :\

The game looks a bit plain. It's too early to judge, of course, but yeah, shorter development cycle...

Uh, wow. Battle system looks like the same old shit mapped to different face buttons. I probably would have been more interested if they just made it a straight up Action RPG.

This trailer managed to wash away any interest in the game I might have had previously.

Dantis

What's with the lack impact in the combat? Weediest strikes ever.

They need some of that FFX impact back. When Auron hit a guy, he really hit a guy.

Lightning looks and sounds like she's using the Wooden Sword from NGB.

george_us

I'm not convinced the combat is really going to be any fun. It looks like the FF13 combat system, just with actions mapped directly to the face buttons. And while I like the FF13 combat system, it was never any fun with just one character.
XIII's combat system was never any fun period. I kid...kinda.

Wish SE would scrap this and instead port FFXII to Vita.

Jeels

Based off that trailer this is probably going to be the first "main" Final Fantasy title that I do not buy.

This is a very sad day for me as a fan of the series.

Academia in FFXIII-2 was actually quite good.

No, it was not. It looked okay graphically, but was mostly empty, had nothing to do, was more moving floor escalators than town, and completely devoid of creativity.

Hmm. I thought the scan from yesterday looked bad. But that outfit looks better in motion, all that cloth flowing as she moved. And I thought the glasses looked awesome. Sue me!

That trailer looked rough. REALLY rough. And this is supposed to come out sometime in 2013?? This game looks like it has a long way to go. I wouldn't be surprised if it got delayed.

Iceblade

So it's the same combat system but with more platforming and traversal elements? Hmm... I was hoping for more of an ARPG.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay. There are so many things wrong with the trailer I'm just going to start listing things off on why this game will be horrible.

1.) Art design. What the fuck happened to it? These outfits are ridiculous, these towns look completely bland and boring. Where's the interesting architecture? Where's the creative level design? They don't showcase anything artsy to note.

2.) Technical graphics. Yeah. This game looks bad now. If you weren't fine with the graphical finesse that didn't exist in XIII-2 then this game will make you downright angry. The texture in the town looks horrible, the graphical models look bland and bad. No. Sure this is the first trailer and the game isn't done. I understand that. It can only get better I guess.

3.) Combat. So in XIII we got three human party members. In XIII-2 we got two. I guess it only makes sense that we get one in LR. So... they took the most interesting aspect of the XIII series and pretty much destroyed it into what looks like a shallow 1v1 or 1vX fight using the ATB system. This can only go so wrong. You can add only so many new systems and mechanics to make the already ATB combat system interesting. Removing them and replacing is not a smart idea imo.

4.) The Trailer as a whole. Okay, this is your first trailer. It's supposed to be getting people excited and hyped about the game. So.... why is it showcasing boring towns, boring visuals, boring combat, poor graphics, poor framerate, etc. Seriously? What the fuck is this shit.

AwShucks

Why are they still making these?

Because people buy them. It's called being a business.

EDIT: OK, I've now watched it. I don't think her outfit is horrible, but her voice sure is. Town looks very bland and lifeless. Combat looked odd...and also a bite lifeless too. Like it was an arena fight with some easy enemy or something. Overall, if this wasn't a Final Fantasy game I doubt it'd sell even close to a million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom