• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

I'm not convinced the combat is really going to be any fun. It looks like the FF13 combat system, just with actions mapped directly to the face buttons. And while I like the FF13 combat system, it was never any fun with just one character.

In order to make a 2013 dead-line, I'm expecting that is exactly what it will be like. The game will take some cues from the Goddess DLC where Lightning had large HP and access to all classes, and I'll bet it will vaguely improve on XIII-2's "platforming" segments with ladders, poles, and maybe some very light parkour.

i-Lo

I thought the town looked nice (well judging from the compressed video). Framerate needs a lot of work. I did like the cloth animations. I don't know if it's predetermined or physics driven.

The rest however felt... meh

And cloth animations aside... I still can't get down her multi-piece rags, latex and shell of a costume.

Honestly, it's a shame that all Square brought out in terms of home console single player FF is FF13. It speaks to their inept management.

Dantis

Those who are saying it's just early footage are in denial.

This isn't a leaked pitch video, it's the real deal. The full game might be more polished, but what you see is what we're getting.

_woLf

Still buying this day 1 but that trailer was... not good...

The first XIII-2 teaser had me way more hyped.

I'm worried about this game. I want it to be good.

I loved XIII and XIII-2

Please, I want to love this game, too

This is pretty much how I feel.

It honestly looks like they could have said "just kidding this is actually a vita game" at the end. Diffuse shading on everything, seems like there's no use of bump/normal maps at all, everything looks really flat....what happened to the engine capable of producing things like this?

ffxiii-2_academia_01.jpg

ff13revpic3_033010.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I can't wait for the people to justify the shit in that trailer. I'm just waiting at this point.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Because people buy them. It's called being a business.
Actually XIII-2 sold way below expectations. They would be better off developing something that isn't XIII-derived.

But the appeal of being able to reuse assets and branding must be hard to resist, and was set into motion years ago no doubt.

bounchfx

holy shit. every aspect of that was bland. the lighting, environments, animation.. the only redeeming quality was her flowing capes. yikes.

Bennettt2

Lightning is the best designed character that has come out of Square since....Cloud. Look at how that pink hair bounces against that black armour. She's got scales that line her arms now. Mmm, I likey!

gogogow

That just looks so bad, graphically, technically. Lack of lighting, lack of polygons. I don't know, it looks so cheap, so low budget, so not Square Enix.

Looks like Stagger really is gone. Guess they wouldn't be able to implement it with only one playable character anyway. Kinda wondering what the 3 color-coded squares under every enemy's HP bar are though.

george_us

Actually XIII-2 sold way below expectations. They would be better off developing something that isn't XIII-derived.

But the appeal of being able to reuse assets and branding must be hard to resist, and was set into motion years ago no doubt.
Part of me hopes this fails to sell 100K in Japan when it launches.

Yeah, they probably made a good chunk of profit off 13-2 and it's DLC and at this point, with FF14 being restructured like mad and Versus nowhere in sight, this game and it's cheap graphics, reused assets and combat seems like a good idea.

Framerate is bad, not going to sugarcoat it.

The town isn't awful, just looks like it needs more NPCs. academia was a significant upgrade over this.

and that outfit..ouch.

Aeana

Being able to reuse assets reduces costs, so of course it's appealing. They're already bleeding money with FF14 and Versus's development, these are quick ways for them to make cash while those are in the oven.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Of course we should have seen this coming you know.

Wada realized Square was fucked with what XIII turned into.

The decree was handed down to shorten dev cycles on mainline FF games / major games in general. 2 years or so for big games. But there was no way they could about face to plan and execute the next actual Final Fantasy game on a dime.

So instead they've been sticking to the letter of the law by quickly assembling stuff out of the bones and assets of FF XIII. Wasn't there a suspicion that much of FF XIII-2 was made out of environments made for XIII but never used?

For this game, they probably did have to make wholly original content, but it's Square. No way they could make assets too elaborate in such a short timeframe. We've seen no indication that their internal development environment has changed or even started to change.

I think, if you want to hold out any hope for Square moving forward, this is your only scenario: while a relatively small crew worked on XIII-2 and XIII-3, others have been planning and prototyping Final Fantasy 15, in preparation for full production as soon as XIII-3 is out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom