• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Well that was lame. Makes it even more less of chance I'd ever consider playing the second one. *goes back to Blue Dragon*

sublimit

Banned
He doesn't HAVE to be this terrible, he chooses to be this terrible.

But for good or worse it's his style.Sometimes his vision works (FFX) and sometimes it doesn't (XIII series).It's Wada's and kitase's job to realize that his vision isn't exactly working this time.

This all is not a problem. The problem is the fact that a guy with mediocre writing skills gets to write a game scenario.

Yeah but it's the president's and producer's job to realize that the man's vision is totally out of touch with the community.Weren't XIII-2 sales a clear indication of this?
Does an FF has to flop as hard as FFXIV initially did in order for them to take action?

He's an awful writter and an awful game director. It was fine when he was more restricted in the PSX era.

Remember all his crazy ideas for FF VII that were (thankfully) scrapped.

Yeah but in his defense he did a great job as a director with FFX and i supposse his success with that game gave him the job for XIII.But after XIII it should have been obvious to both Wada and Kitase that this time it just didn't work out. :/

I think all of that sounds really funny actually, he was a different man back then.

And I swear I have actually seen the "I guess we don't have enough practice" event.

What the hell, did I dream that as a kid?

But for good or worse it's his style.Sometimes his vision works (FFX)

FFX had THREE directors.

It wasn't just his vision. And that's the only reason it wasn't XIII.

Kitase: When an event begins in FFVII, the other 2 party members separate themselves from Cloud’s avatar. Once the event finishes, the party recombines and Cloud is alone once more. It’s just the way the game’s set up, but Toriyama parodied that. The 3 members of AVALANCHE were like “Let’s do that too!” and do their best to combine together, but they just ended up running into each other and muttering “I guess we still don’t have enough practice.” *laughing*

See, the guy is not hopeless, this scene would've been really funny! It's just when he gets to write script and characters.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He rode the gravy train that was FFX. If he was truly great would not all his other projects be as successful and not rely on name recognition?

My mind still boggles as to why Square Enix insist on releasing all these direct sequels to the most unpopular mainline Final Fantasy title in existence. I just don't get it.

jorgeton

I can't totally hate on Toriyama (I've yet to play the Third Birthday tho..). FFXIII and XIII-2 have some interesting ideas but they get bogged down by the constant motivational speeches from the main characters. The Hope needing Hope we need Hope BS alone drove me up a wall.

The man needs an editor or a writing partner to work with him. Someone to help flesh out his good ideas, and keep out all the dumb crap he keeps shoving in.

My mind still boggles as to why Square Enix insist on releasing all these direct sequels to the most unpopular mainline Final Fantasy title in existence. I just don't get it.

Need to make up money from Crystal Tools + FFXIV development. FFXIII-2 was almost entirely developed from assets cut from FFXIII.

Kitase: When an event begins in FFVII, the other 2 party members separate themselves from Cloud’s avatar. Once the event finishes, the party recombines and Cloud is alone once more. It’s just the way the game’s set up, but Toriyama parodied that. The 3 members of AVALANCHE were like “Let’s do that too!” and do their best to combine together, but they just ended up running into each other and muttering “I guess we still don’t have enough practice.” *laughing*

Omg yooo this is hilarious!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I can't totally hate on Toriyama (I've yet to play the Third Birthday tho..). FFXIII and XIII-2 have some interesting ideas but they get bogged down by the constant motivational speeches from the main characters. The Hope needing Hope we need Hope BS alone drove me up a wall.

The man needs an editor or a writing partner to work with him. Someone to help flesh out his good ideas, and keep out all the dumb crap he keeps shoving in.
He has a writing partner though... he's just equally terrible.

She looks like she's being sexually assaulted by towels.

aBPCW.jpg

sublimit

Banned
FFX had THREE directors.

It wasn't just his vision. And that's the only reason it wasn't XIII.

From wikipedia:
Motomu Toiyama had the biggest and most important role out of all the staff working on Final Fantasy X and he was regarded by Kitase as the main director of the game.[3] Toriyama was responsible for every single event scene in Final Fantasy X and also the pacing and flow of the entire game. He also created the back story of all the playable characters.[3] He was also the scenario supervisor and he would often edit the scenario to match what he wanted to portray out on screen in an event scene.

I don't know but to me it sounds like FFX was almost entirely his own vision.
It just that he needs a good writer.

jorgeton

He has a writing partner though... he's just equally terrible.

It's the blind leading the blind. They should bring in a writer from Eidos to help out or hire some new blood, someone with a different perspective. But whatevs, it's too late now. I'm sure the script is in the can. I'm ready for five minute solliloquies of why we need hope.. from Hope.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's the blind leading the blind. They should bring in a writer from Eidos to help out or hire some new blood, someone with a different perspective. But whatevs, it's too late now. I'm sure the script is in the can.

We need Tabata.

I really hope he is remaking Before Crisis. Or any project of his for that matter.

From wikipedia:

Well even if that's true, just doing one thing that's considered great doesn't guarantee he'll even be able to do it again. M. Night Shyamalan made a good movie once too, ya know.

Skilletor

Don't let that Balthier avatar fool you.

lol. I dipped out of FF13 threads because I hated the games. I'm typically fighting game-gaf. I don't know what's going on here. hahaha

People saying they're hurt because people don't like a trailer. Another asking me if I'm serious when I ask if the poster who says they are hurt is being real.

This rabbit hole...it is too deep.

LuuKyK

LuuKyK maybe you should take a break... it's a video game. People being critical shouldn't get you all worked up.

Its ok, I'm not really worked up. :p Was just trying to change the subject to me so people stop being an ass to a game that doesn't deserve the hate its getting given the actual state of development it is in. But I see it didn't really worked as I planned. Oh well...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Its ok, I'm not really worked up. :p Was just trying to change the subject to me so people stop being an ass to a game that doesn't deserve the hate its getting given the actual state of development it is in. But I see it didn't really worked as I planned. Oh well...

That's what you think

Raven77

WHY ARE THEY MAKING THIS, you ask???

It's pretty simple guys.

Its the same reason we got Forza Horizon, Gears of War Judgement, ETC.

The reason is because we are at the end of this generation. SQUARE WOULD HAVE TO BE MENTALLY HANDICAPPED TO RELEASE Final Fantasy XV on soon to be replaced consoles...

UmpOi.gif

This is a classic "hold-over" game.

Juken

It's probably best for your health to accept that all XIII related threads are going to go like this.

Mario007

From wikipedia:

To be fair the event direction in the cutscenes and character backgrounds were pretty good in FFXIII and FFXIII-2. It was when it came to gameplay design and plot writing (probably the 2 most important parts of the game) he failed.

FFX's plot was created by Kitase, Nojima and Sakaguichi if I remember correctly. They mostly had Tidus and Yuna planned out as well and it was these 2 characters and the really awesome rich new world that carried the story. (Not to detract from Lulu or Waka's backstories which were great too)

Mario007

Not really, it's 400 years later, with different gameplay and world and you only plat as Lightning. Think of it as spin-off that losely connects on what happened in FFXIII-2 story-wise.

Juken

WHY ARE THEY MAKING THIS, you ask???

It's pretty simple guys.

Its the same reason we got Forza Horizon, Gears of War Judgement, ETC.

The reason is because we are at the end of this generation. SQUARE WOULD HAVE TO BE MENTALLY HANDICAPPED TO RELEASE Final Fantasy XV on soon to be replaced consoles...

I think it would have been best not to release it at all. The Forza/Gears franchises are in a very different condition from FF - they're taking victory laps with their final games of the gen whereas Square is still mired in its Vietnam!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Not really, it's 400 years later, with different gameplay and world and you only plat as Lightning. Think of it as spin-off that losely connects on what happened in FFXIII-2.

And XIII-2 is a spinoff to XIII in that regard.

Get a grip people. This is XIII-3.

Wordplay will not save you.

Those that wanted it. They have now received it.

I would have thought there would be more celebration in this thread since the trailer says Lightning's last journey. No more XIII stuff after this.

Near the end of the PS2's lifecycle, we got FFXII from Square Enix.

At a comparable point in the PS3's lifecycle, we're getting Lightning Returns from Square Enix.

I'm sure you understand this already, just saying it aloud to express my own sadness and disappointment.

MechaX

This thread is a mess.

I will not let this hatred affect my hype. But I have to say...

It is such pain to read through it. Each hate comments is a stab in my heart tbh, and will be remembered when the game launches.

But in the end I really don't care, because I know this is all fair based on the fact that the trailer does have its flaws, but I expected better from some of you (I'm not even surprised on some people comments though, based on the experience in the other FF threads lol), since the game is clearly FAR from launching, and I'm sure I will be experiencing an amazing game with a much better frame rate and the goddess being perfect as per.

Are... are you on the verge of having a meltdown over this?

Look, you are free to love Lightning as much as you want and I don't think people are telling you to do otherwise. But the reality is that XIII is the only FF game to spark this kind of multi-year reaction and vitriol.

And in terms of speaking upon reality, I don't think you want to play the "When the game comes out, you will see! YOU WILL ALL SEE!" kind of card given the "talent" running amok in SE in general these days.

sublimit

Banned
Well even if that's true, just doing one thing that's considered great doesn't guarantee he'll even be able to do it again. M. Night Shyamalan made a good movie once too, ya know.

Indeed but as i said before he is not the one to blame since he's not the one to greenlight those projects.
They gave him a chance with XIII and it didn't worked out,so they should have either never made a sequel or just give it to someone else and work with a completely new cast of characters.

They thought that just by answering some of the fans demands (with XIII-2) they would somehow make the game a sucess but it showed even more how weak Toriyama's vision this time was.Even then they should have at least stopped there but noooo they had to give him another chance with LR.So really at this point personally i can't blame Toriyama in the slightest,it's Wada and Kitase that are hurting this company.

Zomba13

Is it just me or does that have NOTHING to do with the way XIII-2 ended apart from having Lightening in it and a VO by Hope?

near

Gold Member
I really like the direction they want to head in, but if that was a representation of where they currently stand with the project, they should just cancel it.

Mario007

And XIII-2 is a spinoff to XIII in that regard.

Get a grip people. This is XIII-3.

Wordplay will not save you.
It's not really. XIII-2 actually used a similar concept when it came to gameplay as the original, the story directly followed the original.

With LR, you have a story set hundreds of years later, with a gameplay unlike the previous two installments. There's a lot of differences.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally got home from work... time to watch this trailer 50 times. BRB

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's not really. XIII-2 actually used a similar concept when it came to gameplay as the original, the story directly followed the original.

With LR, you have a story set hundreds of years later, with a gameplay unlike the previous two installments. There's a lot of differences.

But it's still FFXIII-3.

I'm thinking, had they actually gone with making her costume a white version of Cloud's from ACC, I'd have been fine with that. Instead, we get what we saw in the trailer... blah.

May pick up out of morbid curiosity, but for now, not really interested.

LuuKyK

Are... are you on the verge of having a meltdown over this?

Look, you are free to love Lightning as much as you want and I don't think people are telling you to do otherwise. But the reality is that XIII is the only FF game to spark this kind of multi-year reaction and vitriol.

And in terms of speaking upon reality, I don't think you want to play the "When the game comes out, you will see! YOU WILL ALL SEE!" kind of card given the "talent" running amok in SE in general these days.

I'm not really the kind of people that meltdown on a video game board... :p

But I truly believe in every single word I've written here, so I do expect the game to be better upon release, and I can't wait for some people going overboard to take every messed up criticism back when it happens.

:)

Finally got home from work... time to watch this trailer 50 times. BRB

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom