• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell is going on here?
I took the screengrab just as she's doing a spinning motion, so the graphics got messed up :lol
I think the front cover is going to be just black with the logo and name. Gotta get those Skyrim sales.
Hmm, maybe. Didn't XIII-2 get Lightning on the cover while EU got the slick, "regular" FF-cover?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
the game has a long way to go in terms of development.. battlesystem seems pretty interesting, I'd like to see more of it.
Seems like the square changes colors and then eventually breaks (when it turns red)? I don't know why there are multiple squares on the behemoth though... maybe it's like a soft enrage - where if you break the enemy multiple times you won't be able to stagger them anymore?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
One of the worst trailers I've ever seen for a big game. The backdrop when she gets off the train looked like a PS1 FMV, horrendous slowdown during the Assassin's Creed bits, dull combat encounter and a voiceover that's about as interesting as a wet piece of cardboard.

Awful. The only reason this game exists is to satisfy the wanking needs of the lonely manchildren at SE.

Yoshichan

I don't expect a lot of CGs in LRFFXIII.. there will be just just a few I think, maybe the beginning and ending.
XIII-2 had lacking CG as well :(

Yoshichan

At exactly 1:02, you can clearly see that Lightning attacks twice (the "attack"-button pulsates twice) and then she uses guard just as the behemoth attacks her. Reactionary gameplay ftw :D No need to plan ahead and cancel your buffered moves!

Go_Ly_Dow

After the warm reception the trailer got at the Square Enix headquarters they must be popping champagne bottles :D

I honestly think they're completely oblivious to most things regarding fan reception to the XIII games.

The only reason they became aware of the originals complaints (or started to care), was because western games media continuously hounded them in interviews about the linearity and lack of towns post release. (something they rarely seem to do with certain western developers when they step a foot wrong)

LuuKyK

At exactly 1:02, you can clearly see that Lightning attacks twice (the "attack"-button pulsates twice) and then she uses guard just as the behemoth attacks her. Reactionary gameplay ftw :D No need to plan ahead and cancel your buffered moves!

You are late Yoshi!

:lol

Anyway, I think I got how the new ATB works.

Here is a gif:

tumblr_mfb8ua3FNJ1rmweewo1_500.gif

The top rectangle on the right represents the new "paradigms" or whatever they will be called. Here Lightning is on the Divinity one. I noticed there is also a Cerberus one, with different attacks/magics/abilities, which further proves my point.

So, you can see that while she is attacking the attack rectangle is popping up, well, thats because the player is pressing the respective button on the controller (duh!). Yeah, so, looks like its basically:

Triangle = Basic Magic
Circle = Physical Attack
X = Advanced Magic
Square = Guard

Now how many attacks can she do? The superior bar on the sword thing there reduces while she attacks so thats what will restrict the times you attack. Its likely to cool down after that. Its probably when you will have to doge the attacks or guard. The other bar is obviously her health.

I also noticed some little squares under the monster HP bar, I'm supposing that is going to be something similar to the stagger bar somehow. Maybe when its empty you will deal more damage, or be able to launch the enemy.

The only thing we don't know about is that circular thing with 10000 points...

Yoshichan

I'm thinking that every class in the game has a set of moves - and that you can "choose" between four of them. For example, the class Cerberus uses the following skills:

- Light Slash
- Heavy Slash
- Blizzaga
- Blizzara
- Demi
- Sweeping Strikes

And you can't have all of these active, so I choose four of these for my Cerberus class.

Also, Divinity seems to use "Guard" while Cerberus uses "Evade". Or maybe they're not exclusive to the class (and that they're options just like any other move)?

9mAS7.png

You are late Yoshi!
Fuck, I'm so sorry :(... I'm slowly reading through the thread! Wish I would've actually been here "live" as the trailer was released ._.

Gorillaz

You know that crazy Magius guy and how he likes to screw around? Luukyk doesn't do that.

Well you can enjoy Blinded by Light being put through slow and fast speed settings in Windows Media Player.
Thats what it was. I knew the battle theme was different but thinking back over it , it sounded like a lazy remix

Myriadis

Eh, looks good enough for me, but I'm not a graphic whore like some of you are. The town needs some polishing, should look more crowded and complex like Academia, but it seems that there's way more exploration than even XIII-2, so I'm looking towards it. Battle System is good enough and at least you can change costumes.
Will definitely keep an eye on it.

I absolutely love SE's CGs, but games with an investment level of FFXIII-2/LRFFXIII don't allow much more CG I think :/

SE's CGs are amazing. Your avatar is just one of the moments in SE history I adore. I even noticed a distinct style in their CG scenes.

Like for instance, in the deep dive trailer where (for spoiler purposes I won't say the name) but the hooded character pictured in your Avatar is fighting the Neo- heartless during that trailer he jumps up into air the with both keyblades slashing infront of him and behind him. Now if you look at Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children where Cloud is fighting the two henchman in the ancient forest, cloud at one point jumps up into the air and does a simliar if not the same spinning slash move.

It's just something I've noticed lol. :D I love animation.

I'd get some cool gifs, but I don't know how to do that yet lol.

EDIT:
Found some youtubes

http://youtu.be/UEEWV5xBTqY?t=1m9s
This at 1:09

and http://youtu.be/87tDO1_nofE?t=1m5s at 1:05

Similiar but still soo cool looking. I've watched both clips sooooo many times. It never gets old.

EDIT:
Fixed Copy pasta link error

Reiko

Banned
Eh, looks good enough for me, but I'm not a graphic whore like some of you are. The town needs some geometry, should look more crowded and complex like Academia, but it seems that there's way more exploration than even XIII-2, so I'm looking towards it. Battle System is good enough and at least you can change costumes.
Will definitely keep an eye on it.

Fixed.

Reisläufer

Neo Member
Has anyone already catched the third class appearing in the trailer: Enchanter (visible for around a second at 0:59). Also Lightning's costume and weapon/shield seem to change with her class. Enchanter is hard to make out (the sword looks different to me), but the Cerberus costume is clearly different.

Concerning my thoughts on the game, I actually really like the redesign of Lightning, to the extent that I'm thinking about getting this game after skiping XIII-2. The trailer shows some really unfinished looking bits and pieces though, so I kind of understand where all the hate is coming from.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I absolutely love SE's CGs, but games with an investment level of FFXIII-2/LRFFXIII don't allow much more CG I think :/

Disc space is also being taken into consideration after what happened with FFXIII. They opted to do more cutscenes in real time for XIII-2 to save on file size.

SE's CGs are amazing. Your avatar is just one of the moments in SE history I adore. I even noticed a distinct style in their CG scenes.

Like for instance, in the deep dive trailer where (for spoiler purposes I won't say the name) but the hooded character pictured in your Avatar is fighting the Neo- heartless during that trailer he jumps up into air the with both keyblades slashing infront of him and behind him. Now if you look at Final Fantasy 7:Advent Children where Cloud is fighting the two henchman in the ancient forest, cloud at one point jumps up into the air and does a simliar if not the same spinning slash move.

It's just something I've noticed lol. :D I love animation.

I'd get some cool gifs, but I don't know how to do that yet lol.

EDIT:
Found some youtubes

http://youtu.be/UEEWV5xBTqY?t=1m9s
This at 1:09

and http://youtu.be/87tDO1_nofE?t=1m5s at 1:05

Similiar but still soo cool looking. I've watched both clips sooooo many times. It never gets old.

EDIT:
Fixed Copy pasta link error
yeah nice, good find! :)

and I really hope we get that deep dive video in HD in KH 1.5 ReMIX.

Giolon

It looked fine to me. FF games have had ridiculous outfits for years. It just comes as part of the territory. I enjoy seeing the crazy "clothing" ideas they come up with. I'll be interested to see how they keep combat interesting with only 1 character available, but the Lightning Episode DLC in FFXIII-2 was pretty fun.

I am glad they're making this. The state they left the world in at the end of FFXIII-2 was pretty shitty. So, color me cautiously excited.

CorvoSol

The only downside to this new battle system is the lack of other party members, rendering the whole Paradigm Shift kinda pointless. Which is a shame, because I liked it.

Disc space is also being taken into consideration after what happened with FFXIII. They opted to do more cutscenes in real time for XIII-2 to save on file size.
I am pretty happy SE won't go this way with Versus XIII. Last thing I read about Versus XIII's GCs was a ration of 7:3 (real time : CG)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I am pretty happy SE won't go this way with Versus XIII. Last thing I read about Versus XIII's GCs was a ration of 7:3 (real time : CG)

Considering they already redid scenes that were real time into CG, such as the one when Noctis meets Stella... I suspect Versus XIII will have a bit more, yes.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I absolutely adore Visual Works' CG cutscenes. It was kind of disappointing that FFXIII-2 didn't have a lot of them and I guess it's really expensive to create them, but man, they are so visually appealing.

Kinda lame that everyone's dogging on the visuals

Would you rather have pretty corridors a la FFXIII or something not quite as pretty but fully explorable? For me there is no question as to which I'd rather have

Game does look super early but as a premise it's really exciting

Mario007

The idea that Nomura is trying to convey is the characters expressions, which can be done much more efficiently in CG.
Didn't Nomura also say that there really won't be any proper in-engine cutscenes where the player won't have some sort of control? I think he compared it to FPS way of cutscenes. That's why there's the 70-30 CG ratio.

The idea that Nomura is trying to convey is the characters expressions, which can be done much more efficiently in CG.

I don't like overuse of CG in games.Seeing what some developers managed with the facial expressions in thins gen (real-time) still seems like a waste of money, but well at this point can't hurt much more.

Kinda lame that everyone's dogging on the visuals

Would you rather have pretty corridors a la FFXIII or something not quite as pretty but fully explorable? For me there is no question as to which I'd rather have

Game does look super early but as a premise it's really exciting

I will prefer they could do a pretty explorable HD town, specially this late in the cycle.

I will prefer they could do a pretty explorable HD town, specially this late in the cycle.

Well given how much money they've sunk into FFXIV relaunch and Versus XIII and the fact that LR is the third game in a somewhat lukewarmly received franchise it's no surprise it's not the prettiest looking thing, the budget is probably quite modest, still, if it's explorable and full of content that's all that matters

Considering they already redid scenes that were real time into CG, such as the one when Noctis meets Stella... I suspect Versus XIII will have a bit more, yes.

Wasn't it the other way around ? I remember when they talked about this subject, the information was super confusing. I recall someone at Square saying that they had converted multiple CG scenes into real-time seeing as the engine was good enough to handle it, but at the same time said that some other scenes had been converted to CG, such as the scene where Noctis meets Stella for the first time.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I definitely remember the article being cryptic and confusing, as if something had been lost in translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom