• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ran rp

Sigh... I rememeber when the FFXIII E3'06 trailer hyped me out of my mind for the future of Final Fantasy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI And I wasn't even a huge FF fan.

FFXIV won't interest me at all unless it goes FTP so I'm hoping that FFvXIII makes it out alive and lives up to my withered hype. I am now a sophomore in college and I've been waiting for this baby since middle school :/

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
PSY・S;45622243 said:
Sigh... I rememeber when the FFXIII E3'06 trailer hyped me out of my mind for the future of Final Fantasy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7uwtFpC4iI And I wasn't even a huge FF fan.

FFXIV won't interest me at all unless it goes FTP so I'm hoping that FFvXIII makes it out alive and lives up to my withered hype. I am now a sophomore in college and I've been waiting for this baby since middle school :/

Type 0 barely made it out onto Japan. Versus won't be so lucky.

jiggle

Wasn't it the other way around ? I remember when they talked about this subject, the information was super confusing. I recall someone at Square saying that they had converted multiple CG scenes into real-time seeing as the engine was good enough to handle it, but at the same time said that some other scenes had been converted to CG, such as the scene where Noctis meets Stella for the first time.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I definitely remember the article being cryptic and confusing, as if something had been lost in translation.

it went both ways as i recall?
cg being the latest method

PSY・S;45622243 said:
i was so :O when this came out
finalfantasyxiii_12.jpg

the game turned out pretty good though
and gets better everytime it gets a shitty sequel

Kinda lame that everyone's dogging on the visuals

Would you rather have pretty corridors a la FFXIII or something not quite as pretty but fully explorable? For me there is no question as to which I'd rather have

Game does look super early but as a premise it's really exciting

7 years into this generation, i don't think it's too much to ask for FFXIII visuals in an open(-ish) world setting.

Verendus

Banned
Wow, such a shitty trailer. Seems like the game is likely to go beyond its predecessors footsteps and submerge itself deeper in crap. I don't even understand why they would reveal something like this. It's like they're going even further backwards, which is surprising considering how crap FFXIII was, there should be nowhere but up. It's almost as if Toriyama is just full of failure, like an innate ability of sorts.

jiggle

so was toriyama involved with any of the agni's philosephoy presentations?
if he's knee deep in this pile of ... game
someone else must be handling XV rite?

God... I knew this game was very ambitious.

It seems this team can't handle it after all. I just pray that the footage I saw is actually from an early build...

Well, Luxerion looked great on the artworks, but the real thing is atrocious.

Combat system looks fine at least.

Verendus

Banned
I thought this was going to be an action RPG. Re-watching the trailer, that looks just like the FFXIII battle system in principle. Now, I understand that the only redeemable aspect of this shit series is the battle system, but that was when there were three people. How the heck is it going to be any good with just one person? It takes most of the fun out of it. They can't be this stupid, surely. And Lightning sounds like a constipated man.

Edit:

One positive note: Lightning's Final Journey

Well, thank Cthulhu for that. Seems like the suffering will end in 2013.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I thought this was going to be an action RPG. Re-watching the trailer, that looks just like the FFXIII battle system in principle. Now, I understand that the only redeemable aspect of this shit series is the battle system, but that was when there were three people. How the heck is it going to be any good with just one person? It takes most of the fun out of it. They can't be this stupid, surely. And Lightning sounds like a constipated man.

XIII really only had you controlling one person though.

Looks more interesting than 13 or 13-2 ever did to me. Towns, check. Some effort to a combat system, check. The visuals don't look as nice but I hope thats because they were focused on more visual variety and better town/level design than just modeling a park bench to the nth degree for 6 months. Hopefully The story seems simpler and more direct than the previous, borderline kngdom hearts nonsense that FF started to become.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, but the fun was in shifting stances and making the battles fast paced.

Take that out, and the battle system is utter crap.

The battle system was utter crap for me to begin with due to it relying on the stagger mechanic and how it wanted to give anyone who played it with huge numbers all over the place.

And I wasn't feeling the magic(the spells in general) either.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BigBadShamoo said:
That looks amazing.

XIII and XIII-2 are amongst the best looking games of this generation. You may have issues with some of the art-direction but you cannot deny the quality of the assets, and in all fairness of the engine.

All of which makes me unconcerned about the trailer footage; there's no way SE will release an average-looking FF game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
XIII and XIII-2 are amongst the best looking games of this generation. You may have issues with some of the art-direction but you cannot deny the quality of the assets, and in all fairness of the engine.

All of which makes me unconcerned about the trailer footage; there's no way SE will release an average-looking FF game.

That's all they have

Verendus

Banned
The battle system was utter crap for me to begin with due to it relying on the stagger mechanic and how it wanted to give anyone who played it with huge numbers all over the place.

And I wasn't feeling the magic(the spells in general) either.
The battle system was quite shallow, I admit. But out of all the other crap in that game, such as story and characters that only prepubescents would find appealing, the 40 hour straight path, underwhelming soundtrack, it was essentially the only decent thing in there. That and the very pretty visuals and art direction.

This game is supposed to be like 10 hours. They must think people will manage to cope with 10 hours of a castrated battle system. After all, the tutorial in FFXIII was longer than that.

Well they did say that the game is supposed to be mega short, but there are several different things to do in recurring playthroughs, just like Majora's Mask.

You know if you asked me 2 days ago I would have told you I was looking forward to this game given I quite enjoyed XIII-2. In fact I was about to go buy another PS3 as mine broke. But now between looking at this trailer and now how short this game is. I think my gaming PC will suit me fine up until next gen =\

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know if you asked me 2 days ago I would have told you I was looking forward to this game given I quite enjoyed XIII-2. In fact I was about to go buy another PS3 as mine broke. But now between looking at this trailer and now how short this game is. I think my gaming PC will suit me fine up until next gen =\

I can't get excited for console Square games anymore. It's all about handhelds for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom