• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know if you asked me 2 days ago I would have told you I was looking forward to this game given I quite enjoyed XIII-2. In fact I was about to go buy another PS3 as mine broke. But now between looking at this trailer and now how short this game is. I think my gaming PC will suit me fine up until next gen =\

the game seemed to e built on replay value .. it's very possible that you won't get a proper ending ro see anything conclusive in one playtrough..it's very possible teh game won't be short , especially if they use majora mask elements.

We already know that there seems to be a mecanic to gain time before the end so even if one hour = a day it's possible you will spend more than 13 hours to rech at least one ending..

Resilient

the game seemed to e built on replay value .. it's very possible that you won't get a proper ending ro see anything conclusive in one playtrough..it's very possible teh game won't be short , especially if they use majora mask elements.

We already know that there seems to be a mecanic to gain time before the end so even if one hour = a day it's possible you will spend more than 13 hours to rech at least one ending..

Where have these gameplay elements been discussed?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The trailer speaks for itself, though. It's not that people aren't getting it. It's just that some of the stuff they see isn't enticing at all.

Some of that might be the way the battle's handled.
Some of it might be because the game doesn't look great at all for them in terms of framerate and graphical quality.
Some of it might be the UI.
Some of it might be because of the cutscenes they showed and how the audience responded to it.

There are many factors at play here.

When you cut a trailer, you want it to be the best thing you can present to your audience regardless of whether or not the game is looking amazing right now. You're selling your product. You need to do a good job to entice potential customers by showing the best facets that your product currently has. This is basic marketing. SE didn't exactly do that with this trailer because they didn't pick and choose their aspects carefully, and what they're left with is something that demonstrates faults with their product that potential consumers easily pick up on. Even if it's a launch trailer, you want your audience to be captured immediately no matter what so they will be interested from the get-go. Admittedly, they do have second chances, but this trailer did not leave a good first impression, and that first impression is incredibly important (especially for those who don't want to give the product a second chance or those who were not enamoured with the quality of the product before).

Like... I don't want to be blunt, but you're really going out of your way to defend the trailer, and it's kind of interesting in that I wasn't expecting that.

Easily the best post of this thread. I posted a much shorter version of this yesterday and this goes on to detail it well. (Too lazy to type up something this long)

Unless you're FFXIV.

No. Even in this case their first impression was already gone. If anything their first impression is for XIV 2.0. Not XIV.

This... this is a joke right? The 3D engine, ok what we see of the town, the engine looks outdated... the NPCs... who... how can the QA/PR team say "ok let's release this, it's a perfect representation of what the game will be like! Woot!"... And the colors... brown... black... white... colorless... I don't know...

the world is supposed to be dying so ...yeah it's not gonna look joyfull unless you do something about it.

Where have these gameplay elements been discussed?
Back during the days where S-E annonced the game, there is a gaf thread about it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I haven't played FFXIII-2 so this really makes no sense to me in terms of context, but what's so bad about the trailer?

It's not mind blowing, but it shows the game, has gameplay, and sets the tone for the story.
Isn't it a good thing the game looks like it has an explorable city now?

I haven't played FFXIII-2 so this really makes no sense to me in terms of context, but what's so bad about the trailer?

It's not mind blowing, but it shows the game, has gameplay, and sets the tone for the story.

The main issue for me is the fps, I mean, it's pretty bad. But that's it, I like the rest.

as you can see big some last page pictures of ff13-2 it already had an explorable city.

But i agree with you ..this is a bad captured trailer that look horrible thanks to GT encoding..

octagon69

Banned
iOYF1vPnsYjll.gif

But the only thing I did was describe it. Its only what I expect. :/ It was not meant to be offensive or something. Only to be easy for people who don't want to go after whats new and whats happening on wikis... they would find everything in a single place. :"|

lol, bravo!

Shinta

Banned
The main issue for me is the fps, I mean, it's pretty bad. But that's it, I like the rest.

That will get fixed I'm sure. It's clearly an early build of the game. They don't even show off a single second of footage outside of Luxerion, which should really tell people how early it is.

NovaCrystallis.com said:
"Kitase says that the development team has reached its one big milestone. The first part of the game has been implemented to some extent, and the team staff have been collecting playtest feedback. Using that feedback, the team hopes to strengthen the game. They’ll repeat this several times over in order to polish the quality of the final product."

It sounds like they're trying to get feedback early enough in the development process that they can actually alter things before its finalized, and then repeat that process multiple times before fully polishing it. They did something similar to a lesser extent with Bravely Default in Japan.

NovaCrystallis.com said:
"LRFFXIII was 30% complete as of September"

That really wasn't very long ago. This game doesn't look like it's even fully alpha build yet. You guys complain when they don't show off Versus, but the reaction here just proves that they were right, and they can't show anyone the game until its flawless.

As I expected, the story elements look pretty interesting. Academia, a city governed by science was the main city in XIII-2. Now it's a city of religious fundamentalists that are half insane. I'm sure the NPC dialogue is going to be pretty interesting for these people.

That will get fixed I'm sure. It's clearly an early build of the game. They don't even show off a single second of footage outside of Luxerion, which should really tell people how early it is.

It sounds like they're trying to get feedback early enough in the development process that they can actually alter things before its finalized, and then repeat that process multiple times before fully polishing it. They did something similar to a lesser extent with Bravely Default in Japan.

That really wasn't very long ago. This game doesn't look like it's even fully alpha build yet. You guys complain when they don't show off Versus, but the reaction here just proves that they were right, and they can't show anyone the game until its flawless.

Your logic is very refreshing
And I agree with you

sholvaco

Neo Member
Having re-watched the trailer for the umpteenth time, the field scenes actually look pretty good to me. It's the battle scene backgrounds that leave a mediocre impression.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
But the only thing I did was describe it. Its only what I expect. :/ It was not meant to be offensive or something. Only to be easy for people who don't want to go after whats new and whats happening on wikis... they would find everything in a single place. :"|
Well, no... I'm just a little surprised, that's all. I guess I expected better--not just from you but from other people on both sides of the argument in this thread. Reading through the last few pages since I wasn't around, some of the stuff I read is just kind of surprising, that's all.

Um. But I guess the biggest thing is that this is kind of uncharacteristic of the company. Squaresoft and Square-Enix were always kind of like the paragons of presentation for me. Even if I didn't like a game, or even if I was completely bored with a game, I could always take solace in the fact that the presentation was masterful. Excellent fluid animations, good colour usage, the majority of textures being nice, cohesiveness and detail in art, you name it. They had it.

Even Versus, a game that I don't really give a toss about at the moment, made do with "in-game" bits that actually looked kind of cohesive in a way that adequately marketed the product--at least for most people in the Versus thread going back and reading it (I dunno, I wasn't on GAF at the time but it looked like people liked it).

It's just kind of anomalous for a company that has a history of showing cohesive detail. Usually whenever I read threads, people seem to like the launch/gameplay trailers...

Skilletor

It's pretty obvious that this is a trailer at some first-pass, texture-only environment work that was rushed to be put together for this trailer. If you're freaking out cuz it looks bad, it's supposed to. I do think it's stupid for Square to expect that people wouldn't realize that on their own tho..

How does it make sense in your mind for a company to release a trailer that looks bad in order to generate interest?

I remember loving XIII, and saying it had some of the best presentation I'd ever seen in my life, and watching everyone online not give a shit.

I for one was never impressed with the visuals.

Mainly because I didn't like the art direction and you couldn't explore anything anyway.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
*waits for the inevitable game looks like shit but Lightning performs miracles in the game and the graphical prowess and presentation improves itself comment*

Toth

How does it make sense in your mind for a company to release a trailer that looks bad in order to generate interest?

Well, I do not think that trailer was meant to be released yet. I want to see the JPN version to see if the encoding is the reason the framerate is a bit wonky.

... Still going to play this. I didn't like 13, but 13-2 was really enjoyable. Not great, but still very fun. By that logic, 13-3 may actually be really good.

I still want to believe there is a great final fantasy somewhere.

LuuKyK

My take is:

If they can't even get it right for a reveal trailer, why should I assume they'll get it right for the release?

Because when the game releases they wont show you something in its 30~50% stages of development, but an actual finalized product.

Well, no... I'm just a little surprised, that's all. I guess I expected better--not just from you but from other people on both sides of the argument in this thread. Reading through the last few pages since I wasn't around, some of the stuff I read is just kind of surprising, that's all.

Um. But I guess the biggest thing is that this is kind of uncharacteristic of the company. Squaresoft and Square-Enix were always kind of like the paragons of presentation for me. Even if I didn't like a game, or even if I was completely bored with a game, I could always take solace in the fact that the presentation was masterful. Excellent fluid animations, good colour usage, the majority of textures being nice, cohesiveness and detail in art, you name it. They had it.

Even Versus, a game that I don't really give a toss about at the moment, made do with "in-game" bits that actually looked kind of cohesive in a way that adequately marketed the product--at least for most people in the Versus thread going back and reading it (I dunno, I wasn't on GAF at the time but it looked like people liked it).

It's just kind of anomalous for a company that has a history of showing cohesive detail. Usually whenever I read threads, people seem to like the launch/gameplay trailers...

Well, sorry to disappoint you I guess. :/

But anyway, your point seems fair to me. I do understand where you are going. I guess I'm just not the kind of guy who compares games to the ones in the past, even if there is nothing wrong with doing it. Maybe its just for preventing disappointments, idk...

I've been thinking about this trailer a great deal today and i don't think i've been more repulsed by a game this gen. I actually hope the finished game is as awful as the trailer makes it seem because the outcry will be so strong Square Enix will have no choice but to drastically change their approach to the series.

Jeez the denial. It's like FF14 all over again "if it seems bad now its because it's still alpha/beta of course it will be better when it releases" was a constant refrain from people who didn't want to believe that SE would release a bad game. And here we go again.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
FFXIII-2's sales bombed comparatively to a normal FF game, but this game will create new records. With the tarnished XIII brand, the spin-off-sounding title and the (lack of) production values, I wonder if it'll ever top 1M. Maybe get 750k, because it IS the sequel of a main FF game afterall. No wonder the production values seem so low. They're expecting to get a profit out of potentially mediocre sales.

Protocol7

the world is supposed to be dying so ...yeah it's not gonna look joyfull unless you do something about it.

Back during the days where S-E annonced the game, there is a gaf thread about it.

I totally understand the world dying blahblah... still it looks so poor in terms of design... the buildings are flat as hell... the NPCs have a terrible animations... Again who ever approved this """trailer""" should be fired...

And Yoshi-P needs to be cloned... seriously.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Jeez the denial. It's like FF14 all over again "if it seems bad now its because it's still alpha/beta of course it will be better when it releases" was a constant refrain from people who didn't want to believe that SE would release a bad game. And here we go again.

FF13-2 wasn't a bad game though.

13 wasn't either. It was just a kick in the nuts to anyone who wanted to explore a lot.

Hell, the vast majority of posts are shitting all over this anyways lol. no win

wrowa

Judging by the way the FF13 series graphically degraded the more open the gameplay got, I wonder how Versus looks today. It also uses the Crystal Tools engine, doesn't it? If the FF13 team isn't just incapable, the engine doesn't seem to be build for games that don't follow a tube design. The way Lightning Returns looks is quite telling -- and I don't think that the early development stage is an excuse in this case. It's the third game they are building with the same engine, they are probably re-using a lot of assets and code. They shouldn't need to start from zero again.

To be honest, I just don't get this game. What are they thinking? Why are they doing this? If Lightning Returns is just a quick cash-in, why don't they just develop another game in the veins of FF13-2 and call it a day? The approach for Lightning Returns is definitely more ambitious even if it's just Assassin's Creed meets a little bit of Majora's Mask, but why do they feel the need for this when they don't have the ressources, the talent, the tech to do the concept justice?

Also, why is the FF13 series all over the frigging place? Since FF13 the gameplay made a 180 degree turn. I'd welcome this, considering I belong to the people who didn't care much for FF13, but who are they developing this game for? They've already lost the people who disliked FF13. It makes no sense to go after those, since they probbaly won't pick up this game even if it should turn out to be good. And the people who actually liked FF13 get something that doesn't have much in common with the game they liked. It's mind-boggling.

Ever since Majora's Mask im a sucker for games with a vivid one-city environment and as such I find the concept behind Lightning Returns pretty cool. It's just too bad that it's hidden behind the facade of the awful lore, story and characters of FF13... Well, and that just judging by the trailers and the output of the creative minds behind it, it probably won't be a very good game either way.

Zhutchka

That's obviously not representative of the final game. Maybe the game is in development hell and will end up sucking, maybe it won't. But there's really no way to tell from a trailer that's had zero effort put into it. That text overlay straight out of a power point presentation, and the beyond lazy direction is proof enough. Even if that's all they got to show asset-wise, they still could have made it ten times more appealing with better presentation, if they cared to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom