• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

I've been pondering playing FFVI and decided to watch this.

Has this turned out this way because the majority of Square is pissing about with FFXIV or is it that the main goons in charge of the FF franchise have been playing too much Assassin's Creed? It just doesn't feel right. :-/
It seems like something from a bunch of really bored people.

Why are they continuing this then? Were the JPN/EURO sales that promising for them? Or do they still have left over assets from FFXIII that they want to blow through.

Also, despite all its faults, I kinda dug DOC. So I'm sorta happy it did somewhat decently.

They probably needed a cheap ass money grab at fans to fund themselves until FFXIV reborn can turn in profits. By right there's still enough interest in the FF brand for LR to sell 1 million units, but yeah by giving the fans such an insulting effort who knows if even that's possible.

Scum

You know, I wish Hiroshi Yamauchi was in his 40s. I'll love to him see him stroll into Square's offices. D:

Toriyama/Kitase interview a lot less in these parts nowadays.

Are these the two currently in charge of the FF series? What is the guy (Itoi?) that Sakaguchi recommended currently up to?

Yu Narukami

You know, I wish Hiroshi Yamauchi was in his 40s. I'll love to him see him stroll into Square's offices. D:

Are these the two currently in charge of the FF series? What is the guy (Itoi?) that Sakaguchi recommended currently up to?

Perhaps FFXV and they are releasing it this gen?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Now this game to people even sound like "low budget"? What a terrible exaggeration. I wonder if they consider all the Mass Effect series too low budget considering the bad presentation (framerate, bugs, animations... and we're speaking of the final product here). I bet LR has a bigger dev. team and higher costs than XIII-2. Though I'm so tired of the backslash that me too I hope the "XIII" series (Versus included) ends as soon as possible. Time to reset, at least we will hear brand new complainings, lol.

edit.
wait, wait!
There's actually something I find not liking at all in this first trailer. Are the battles still taking place in a separate enviroment? For all the efforts to give us a new-gen Final Fantasy, I find that quite... annoying and old.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I remember in at the end of the 90s or the beginning of the 2000s, Square said they wanted to be "the next Disney" or "the gaming equivalent of Disney".

I think it's safe to say they totally failed at that, right?

Maybe the Disney of the 80s or something... (I'm hoping this era of Square is a similar down period for them, before they rise again...)

Now this games to people even sound like "low budget"? What a terrible exaggeration. I wonder if they consider all the Mass Effect series too low budget considering the bad presentation (framerate, bugs, animations... and we're speaking of the final product here). I bet LR has a bigger dev. team and higher costs than XIII-2. Though I'm so tired of the backslash that me too I hope the "XIII" series (Versus included) ends as soon as possible. Time to reset, at least we will hear brand new complainings, lol.

edit.
wait, wait!
There's actually something I find not liking at all in this first trailer. Are the battles still taking place in a separate enviroment? For all the efforts to give us a new-gen Final Fantasy, I find that quite... annoying and old.
What.

Perfo

I remember in at the end of the 90s or the beginning of the 2000s, Square said they wanted to be "the next Disney" or "the gaming equivalent of Disney".

I think it's safe to say they totally failed at that, right?

Disney is a shadow of what once was! So I think yes, they managed to follow a similar path. Lol.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Disney is a shadow of what once was! So I think yes, they managed to follow a similar path. Lol.

Disney as a company is on fire, though... only their 2D animation is not what it once was.

AB12

Lol.
Disney is making billions in profits, while SE is a few big fuck ups away from going under, and you think they are on similar paths.

Esura

Banned
The hatred in this thread is is hilarious.

Yeah it is. I'm sure general reception will turn around though when the game releases.

Upon further inspection I notice many of the issues people mentioned before but I still can't help but be hyped for this game. I've never been let down by Square before, doubt they will now.

No, it's justified.

FFvXIII was announced in 2006. TWO THOUSAND AND SIX.

And they have nothing to show for it except for a cash-in sequel that we never asked for which looks and runs like an absolute dog.

Given their legacy, we have every right to be concerned. We have every right to be angry.

No, it's justified.

And they have nothing to show for it except for a cash-in sequel that we never asked for which looks and runs like an absolute dog.

Given their legacy, we have every right to be concerned. We have every right to be angry.

A lot of dogs are beautiful creatures and can run quite fast... what the hell kind of comparison is that?

Also... Versus? Meh

Esura

Banned
No, it's justified.

I'm genuinely surprised there is still so much interest in Versus. The game looked promising back then but I still don't see the reason to dwell on it after all these years. Figured the statute of limitations on hype for Versus would of been up by now.

A lot of dogs are beautiful creatures and can run quite fast... what the hell kind of comparison is that?

Also... Versus? Meh

Like a dog's vomit, then.

Say what you want about Versus, but you know something is wrong with SE's development priorities when they're announcing new games before finishing the ones they're supposedly working on.

Gorillaz

So basically what I seem to be getting out of people here is that if FF14 fails, Square Enix is done.

I figure they need to atleast "break even" with fans and money on 14 to be "safe". I think the next big installment (FF15) will probably be the determining factor for SE future.

Esura

Banned
So basically what I seem to be getting out of people here is that if FF14 fails, Square Enix is done.

Nah, they'll live but they'll probably change up what they normally do drastically in response to it's failings. Hell, if THQ can still survive I'm pretty sure Square Enix can.

Chev

Frankly, this game looks very low budget even for a FF game. I wonder where they're pushing their resources to.
Has this turned out this way because the majority of Square is pissing about with FFXIV
It's all FF14. There's another thread somewhere about the shareholder report that explains this, they've diverted almost all their resources to fixing FF14 and until that works, HD game production is basically the shadow of its former self.

Just saw the trailer. Holy shit.

I hate when people bring up the "N64" comparison, but that trailer ran like an N64 game, and the towns looked absolutely barren, made almost entirely of boxes. The Last Story's town was more lively, and that one wasn't anything to write home about really.

The english VA says this is coming stateside, but the question is why? It has bomba written all over it.

Esura

Banned
Just saw the trailer. Holy shit.

I hate when people bring up the "N64" comparison, but that trailer ran like an N64 game, and the towns looked absolutely barren, made almost entirely of boxes. The Last Story's town was more lively, and that one wasn't anything to write home about really.

The english VA says this is coming stateside, but the question is why? It has bomba written all over it.

Doubt it would be a "bomba" but I think it would sell enough for SE.

Maybe not SE but definitely Wada. The investors will surely kick him out.

You would think FFXIV launch was enough to do that. He as the CEO is responsible for the largest project failure in recent history of S-E. Nothing happened, they just sacked the director. Wada seems to have incredible skills at surviving despite his management ineptitude.

Wada must have some serious dirt and/or connections to still have his job.

The guy is so above the usual schmuck in game industry:

Wada was born on May 28, 1959 in Nagoya, Aichi, Japan.[2] As a student, Wada wanted to become the president of a company as a profession, rather than gradually working his way up in a company through his entire career. He set for himself the objective of becoming a president by the age of 40.[3] After receiving a bachelor's degree in law from the University of Tokyo, he went through an apprenticeship in the financial services group and global investment bank Nomura Securities in order to build a track record.[3][4] Starting in 1984, he served in the group as part of the corporate strategy division, the investment banking division, and finally the controller division.[4] He also worked at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan in Warsaw, Poland.[5] In 2000, he decided to join "a company with a 'theme'", and, thinking that one of the themes of the 21st century was "creating society", chose the video game company Square.[3]

We might be laughing at him, but most guys he meets with are probably pissing their pants of having to meet him.

Laguna

Banned
Really my interest in the FF series is on its all-time low now, I still love their classics but it´s unbelievable what SQEX and Wada as their CEO did to this franchise and to the entire company, not only in quality and quantity but also economically, it´s a shame that the FFmovie broke Sakaguchis neck back then because looking back he was one of the most important elements.

It will be interesting to see what happens to FF14, it will be difficult replicate the success they had with FF11.

Perfo

Lol.
Disney is making billions in profits, while SE is a few big fuck ups away from going under, and you think they are on similar paths.

Creative-wise they're on par :D

Anyway, S-E economical situation is quite solid actually. They're just investing alot in re-structuring and that has weight. But Eidos x Mobage x GREE x Social x DQX is giving them lots of profits. And this is just the start. In the next 5 yrs they'll be bigger.

Perfo

What?

That's crazy :( FF13-2 is quality and much better than FF13. But people were so soured...

XIII-2 made surely more profits than DoC considering the DLCs and all. Plus, one was a FF7's spin-off, the other one just a sequel to FFXIII... it was obvious to guess which one was bigger (plus alot more to consider, like the console where it was running, the year it was coming out ect. Alot changed, not just Final Fantasy in the last ten years). That doesn't tell anything anyway about the state of things. If XIII-2 wasn't profitable, be sure that no LR would be planned and we would all be playing a porting of Type-0 on PS3 (or Versus for what they care). Fact is: Type-0 doesn't make money, LR does. And again I point out this: selling every year 1,5/2,0 millions of copies of a new entry (like XIII-2 did and LR will manage to do) vs taking five-six years to sell 4-5 millions of a completely new entry (like XII and XIII before)... can you guess which strategy generates more profits? They're aim – and is pretty clear at this point – is to have one main entry shipped every year from now on. You can forget your old model of production of Final Fantasy, that's not anymore profitable. Next-gen too I expect to see one new entry (/XV) and 2 or 3 more sequels following it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

When I see people blinded by light I laugh a lot more.

----------------------------

Also that remix was terrible. Someone just played with speed settings IMO.

Now about Dirge selling better then XIII-2 in the US, you have to consider that the fanbase was not as divisive as it is today. Those that think this hatred isn't justified need to get their heads out of their asses and really compare the XIII series launch trailers. Out of all of them LR's is by far the worst offender, it CAN get better but if they want a 2013 release that does not give them much time to work with. If it can improve then great but with Toriyama at the helm this is highly unlikely. FF was always known for it's stunning visuals and presentation in about everything it does and here LR does not give you that, CG cutscenes are not gonna cut it.

The reason for a lack of interviews is the fact there isn't that much to say, or if I may be more direct, there are very few generally interesting questions that exhume positivity out of these current projects. The important questions would be "Why is XIII getting sequels to begin with?" "Where is Type 0 and why exactly has it been shelved and when do you expect it to be released overseas or is it canceled entirely?" "Why isn't any information about Versus being given to the fans, why the secrecy?"

These questions are never asked because they are handpicked or must be about the subject at hand and at this point I think people are tired of being left in the dark and being fed the scraps tossed at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom