• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaX

Take several seats. What kind of fucked up thing to say about a person you don't even know and is only doing his job? You should be thankful he at least is making games while you are here bitching about the games he is making. Ugh, so hard to be self-controlled in threads like these.

I just have a simple question; if I don't like Toriyama's work, why should I be thankful that he continues to make games?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell is even going on here? Chill out, people.

dramatis

They don't need to die... they just need to start making quality products that appeal to more than just a niche crowd.
Maybe they kind of feel secure that Eidos will sell in the west for them and SE Japan products will sell in Japan, so they don't feel the urgent need for wider appeal.

really now? I don't like what Wada is doing and how they turned Final Fantasy brand into an unpopular mess but come on this is just horrible.

I'm sorry. I just get so frustrated.

image.php

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Maybe they kind of feel secure that Eidos will sell in the west for them and SE Japan products will sell in Japan, so they don't feel the urgent need for wider appeal.

well Eidos don't really have games that sell well,this year Sleeping Dogs bombed and I doubt Hitman will do any good,even Tomb Raider is not a big seller and that why SE is trying to turn TR into Corftcharted.

Juken

I don't think the XIII stuff is popular in Japan either. XIII-2 had a huge sales drop from XIII, and from what I understand their reaction to LR is about the same as ours.

dramatis

Maybe, but FF used to have much wider appeal than it has this generation. They squandered everything built up from the PS1 and PS2 era.
The market has also changed, so it's not entirely on their shoulders. The chief problem is how they're approaching this market, and Toriyama is certainly not insightful or creative enough to make games that expand SE's audience rather than shrink it.

I don't think the XIII stuff is popular in Japan either. XIII-2 had a huge sales drop from XIII, and from what I understand their reaction to LR is about the same as ours.

It was popular enough I guess, it turned a profit.

But this Lightning only game their trying to put out now is not gonna be that successful, then again I think they know that, and are just trying to get max profit with little investment.

.la1n

Don't understand why they can't get the engine to run like it did in the original game. I will give this a shot, I should probably play XIII-2 at some point but can't stand the main characters.

Juken

It was popular enough I guess, it turned a profit.

But this Lightning only game their trying to put out now is not gonna be that successful, then again I think they know that, and are just trying to get max profit with little investment.

Yeah they're definitely profitable...I was more talking about fan reaction. The FF fanbase in Japan is similarly disillusioned with the XIII/Lightning stuff (from what I've read).

I think it's a bad idea to damage the brand with these games despite short term profit.

Yeah they're definitely profitable...I was more talking about fan reaction. The FF fanbase in Japan is similarly disillusioned with the XIII/Lightning stuff (from what I've read).

I think it's a bad idea to damage the brand with these games despite short term profit.

Hey at least this is the last one.

Then we can move on and the whole saga will be quickly forgotten.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The market has also changed, so it's not entirely on their shoulders. The chief problem is how they're approaching this market, and Toriyama is certainly not insightful or creative enough to make games that expand SE's audience rather than shrink it.

True, and it seems that Toriyama's response is to simply copy ideas from popular western franchises instead because he can't figure out what else to do so he resorts to cliches instead.

Don't understand why they can't get the engine to run like it did in the original game. I will give this a shot, I should probably play XIII-2 at some point but can't stand the main characters.

There's a few reasons. One, XIII-2 and LR have a shorter development cycle. Two, FFXIII was developed for PS3 first and used a lot of its strengths as a result. XIII-2 and LR are being developed simultaneously for two platforms. Three, Crystal Tools just isn't good at memory management or something, which is why with XIII-2 and its bigger environments you saw a lot more slowdown and flatter textures.

lol yup...the end is finally in sight!

Hopefully Square blows us all away with XV and we'll look back on this and laugh

I can see it now........Introducing Final Fantasy XV, previously known as Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I wonder would everyone be upset.

True, and it seems that Toriyama's response is to simply copy ideas from popular western franchises instead because he can't figure out what else to do so he resorts to cliches instead.
In his defense, I doubt he was given a whole lot of pre-production time for this. Three games in a row must be taking its tole.

Seda

As far an Main characters in XIII-2 goes, it is mostly conversations between Serah and Noel, and then some from Hope and Alyssa too. Noel was quite well regarded it seemed. Alyssa is kind of blah.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
GILGAMESH only game would be more exciting.

I just want Bravely Default, Versus, and the Type series, and of course more GILGAMESH, especially in XIV for a new rendition of his battle theme.

I have over 136 different renditions. Fanmade and official arrangements! Woo!

I don't want Square to die. I just want Squaresoft quality to return and only Type 0 and BDFF give me that feel. I fear Squaresoft died a long time ago and they were a one time thing.

I don't really like the KH series but at least that series is consistent in what it wants to be.

XIII series does not know what kind of game it wants to be with each installment. It probably would have been received better if it wasn't a ripoff of DDS and was it's own IP not relying on the FF name.

XIII should have ended at XIII, I felt it defined it's world and it's sequel's just flip it's world on it's head and breaks it's own previous rules it had set in stone.

Magius sad.

That's what people thought about XIII, and then XIII-2 and look at where that got us.

Nobody could have ever expected Toriyama to retcon XIII's ending just to force a sequel...also nobody could have predicted Toriyama lying and ending XIII-2 on a cliff hanger.

I want to believe that they have SOME integrity and mean what they say this time...

Third times the charm right?

R-Right?

MechaX

Yes, look at how cheap this game looks.

As soon as FFXIV is out and they can finally spare people to make other games, the Lightning "saga" is over.

It's not going to be truly over until either Toriyama is content (which if LR doesn't perform up to whatever standards he may have, that's a negative) or until SE bigwigs affirmatively step in (which... I thought would happen after XIII-2, but...).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Wait. Who are you again to call me a joke? As if things weren't already personal enough, you need to come here and be as ofensive as ever... Why am I even surprised?

Is this a joke? I kid.

Nobody could have ever expected Toriyama to retcon XIII's ending just to force a sequel...also nobody could have predicted Toriyama lying and ending XIII-2 on a cliff hanger.

I want to believe that they have SOME integrity and mean what they say this time...

R-Right?

They said Lightning's final journey. Not final adventure. MWA HA HA

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait. Who are you again to call me a joke? As if things weren't already personal enough, you need to come here and be as ofensive as ever... Why am I even surprised?

If you read some of your posts and see how you've been behaving in this thread, you shouldn't even be surprised by some of the responses you're going to get. Don't act surprised.

Eidos games sells well (1-3 millions) but they don't sells gangbusters by any means, DQ 9 sold in Japan alone more than any Eidos game ever did this gen WW.

LuuKyK

If you read some of your posts and see how you've been behaving in this thread, you shouldn't even be surprised by some of the responses you're going to get. Don't act surprised.

I neither said a developer just works to satisfy his sex fantasies nor personally called someone a troll/joker in this thread, so I have all the rights to be surprised if someone acts like that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I neither said a developer just works to satisfy his sex fantasies nor called someone a troll/joker in this thread, so I have all the rights to be surprised.

As do others also have the right to be surprised at some of your retorts. It's a two-way street. All there is to it buddy.

Ezalc

R-Right?

We can only hope, young one. We can only hope.

Half the scenes in the original were pre rendered high quality video streaming off of the blu ray. They just used in game assets. Come FFXIII-2, they dropped the FMV for real time. Voila!

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I neither said a developer just works to satisfy his sex fantasies nor personally called someone a troll/joker in this thread, so I have all the rights to be surprised if someone acts like that.

If you really have no idea then honestly you're going to keep getting jabbed at by posters. If I were you I would at least attempt to find out why I'm giving away free ammo.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Because to defend a game/character with inoffensive arguments is totally on the same level as what I pointed out, right?

But you offend others when you defend something that genuinely looks bad.

You can look at something one way and someone else can look at it another way.

It's how opinions work.

Guys, he's tricking you again.

That Luuk man, he's dedicated, keep at it man.

Luuk rhymes with puke for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom