• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giolon

One of these is not like the other.

Lightning's better? *ducks*

I think all this talk about "stop catering to a niche" is kind of silly. I think people only say that when they're not part of the niche that's being catered to. I really don't think SE has changed so much as the people who used to like their games have.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm still pissed IX didn't get a new rep in Duodecim. What the fuck SE?!

If it makes you feel better GILGAMESH can fill in for a rep for many of the titles.

My main beef with Duodecim was the uneven Hero;Villain ratio.

FFIX Garland or Black Waltz would have been boss.

And I know he isn't that popular but Goldor or Xande would have been welcome.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
If it makes you feel better GILGAMESH can fill in for a rep for many of the titles.

Balthier too. But we got Vaan. Standard SE.

Ezalc

Hey man, we got Lightning. Isn't that enough?

30377181.jpg

I still think Amarant or Beatrix would have been the better choice. They can also both be used in the villain roles and were more important to the story than Black Waltz. As for Garland, he seriously should have been an Alt for FFI Garland.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Balthier too. But we got Vaan. Standard SE.

Yeah....well....what can you really do?

To be honest Duodecim felt like Lightning got another game to star in with a prominent role.

It did bring up some interesting stuff with Shinryu.

It's a shame they decided to cut out the official quests for whatever reason. That's cut content right there.

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
I'm just glad they're slaughtering the XIII continuum and not Valkyrie Profile.

If LENNETH RETURNS VALKYRIE PROFILE III ever shows up I'll have to choke basket of puppies.

Jeels

It was popular enough I guess, it turned a profit.

But this Lightning only game their trying to put out now is not gonna be that successful, then again I think they know that, and are just trying to get max profit with little investment.

This is absolutely bad business in every sense. They are tarnishing the reputation of their strongest Japanese brand for the possibility of short term mediocre profits.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What the hell was going on for the last two pages?

What the fuck was I reading? Cool the heck down.

QisTopTier said:
The joke being sonic fans have bad taste in characters :D well zack is good LOL
But I'm an active member of SonicGAF... ;-;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One day until possible eruption in Japan.

Are you ready guys?
They probably saw the trailer already somehow.

But anyway, the last few pages of this thread were plain weird. C'mon. It's just video games.

I want a new Sonic game
That makes two of us, because that means I get to have another awesome soundtrack to buy! (Sonic Jump was just released on Android? :/)

Play Sonic Fusion! I wrote a post here about it. And there was this other game from SAGE called Freedom Planet that worked really well and controlled rather fluidly. Edit: Um, oh, and qqmore's game Emerald Ties is pretty good despite some of the framerate issues in the third zone and some of the heavier physics which I'm told that they fixed (post 1, post 2, post 3, post 4). It looks excellent, though.

If I could fish up my post about Sonic Before the Sequel and Sonic After the Sequel, I'd reference them too. Before the Sequel is kind of barren, though. After the Sequel is much better.

Coxy

One day until possible eruption in Japan.

Are you ready guys?

I dont think there'll be one, they dont quite have the same anger brimming over since they DID get type 0 and bravely default and a million other things we didnt so they just went meh at it and went on talking about other games

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I dont think there'll be one, they dont quite have the same anger brimming over since they DID get type 0 and bravely default and a million other things we didnt so they just went meh at it and went on talking about other games

Never hurts to hope for one though.

Esura

Banned
Late reply.

Yeah, it's an odd complaint to me. It's like fans of Final Fantasy don't play or read anything in the Fantasy genre.

I always figured that was part of the fun of the fantasy genre, figuring out what the unique words meant then figuring out how the author came about creating it.

Koji, magicite, esper and magitek are made up words that got thrown around quite a lot in FFVI as well, the problem with FFXIII is that it didn't explain anything while actually playing the game and left every single thing that could have been easily explained during the game in the Datalog.

It was just a poorly constructed story, running down hallways was more important than giving proper context to the action I guess.

I remember reading quite a bit of fantasy novels in the day that left all the information about it's unique terminology in the back of the books akin to the Datalog. Usually you could figure them out by how the words were used throughout the book without needing the glossary though. It's the same as FFXIII, at least for me. Any more context to what the words meant and they might as well just told me the definition straight up in between the dialog.

LOL @ the forced cynicism on the first page, never change GAF.

I'm as down on Square and their recent decisions as anyone but to deny that this game has quite a bit going for it is pure bandwagon hate.

LuuKyK

I'm as down on Square and their recent decisions as anyone but to deny that this game has quite a bit going for it is pure bandwagon hate.

In before people coming out calling you a troll/joke poster and being defended by others.

I remember reading quite a bit of fantasy novels in the day that left all the information about it's unique terminology in the back of the books akin to the Datalog. Usually you could figure them out by how the words were used throughout the book without needing the glossary though. It's the same as FFXIII, at least for me. Any more context to what the words meant and they might as well just told me the definition straight up in between the dialog.

FFXIII isn't a book.

Yes just haters!

Or maybe because it looks like a piece of shit, with completely uninteresting characters, ps1 quality geometry and they couldn't even bother capturing some scenes with a decent frame rate for the trailer? It shouldn't be that hard considering how bad the graphics looks. If you think it looks promising, good for you, that many others don't doesn't automatically make them bandwagon haters, cause it truly looks like shit imo.

Midou

to deny that this game has quite a bit going for it is pure bandwagon hate.

A promised action system that looks like a slower version of the previous games?

A god awful framerate?

No, please go on.

Not to mention they said you should go through it several times when asked about length, meaning it's probably pretty short too.

While the basis for the game sounds great, like Majora's Mask, Square Enix is incapable of delivering on it as they have proven time and time again this generation. I will not be swayed by PR talk when the trailer looks so dreadful.

How the fuck does someone get "Slow combat" from watching 5 seconds of footage of her fighting a single monster? Going by the fact that all the gameplay footage came from the exact same environment it's easy to infer that this was all a part of a very early section of the game that introduces the gameplay mechanics. We already know what the world map looks like and that there are many different varied sections of this city. That comment and the one about "PS1 geometry" are precisely what I was talking about, ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom