• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esura

Banned
How the fuck does someone get "Slow combat" from watching 5 seconds of footage of her fighting a single monster? Going by the fact that all the gameplay footage came from the exact same environment it's easy to infer that this was all a part of a very early section of the game that introduces the gameplay mechanics. We already know what the world map looks like and that there are many different varied sections of this city. That comment and the one about "PS1 geometry" are precisely what I was talking about, ridiculous.

Well, it is unpolished in some areas but I guess Square wanted to give us a rough draft of their work real quick since the last time they talked about this game we were only treated to paintings (awesome paintings though). I bet you the game will be much more faster and involved looking and pretty when it gets closer to release.

Bladenic

You know what Dragon Quest needs in order to be more successful and to capture Western audiences?

LIGHTNING

Toriyama needs to pull some strings and get Claire Farron inserted as an alternate lead protagonist for Dragon Quest X on WiiU.

You mean Eclair.

Speaking of Claire, why has she finally not dropped that dumbass nickname yet?

We know what her real name is...she got over her emotional insecurities, shouldn't she be fine with her given name? The one her parents gave her?

Skilletor

LOL @ the forced cynicism on the first page, never change GAF.

I'm as down on Square and their recent decisions as anyone but to deny that this game has quite a bit going for it is pure bandwagon hate.

How is it bandwagon hate if I've played and disliked FF13 and 13-2, and also did not like what I saw in the trailer.

That's as horrible an excuse as just coming out and saying, "haters gonna hate."

Seems more like you're being an apologist and making excuses for what is a shitty trailer. WELL IT'S STILL EARLY!

Well SE shouldn't have shown it. Plain and simple.

Lightning is a strong, independent woman and she don't need no protection.

UberTag

Speaking of Claire, why has she finally not dropped that dumbass nickname yet?

We know what her real name is...she got over her emotional insecurities, shouldn't she be fine with her given name? The one her parents gave her?
Her agent shot that idea down. Sticking with Lightning is simply more marketable.
She's all about that franchising.
Nobody wants to play a game called Claire Farron Returns.

Juken

How the fuck does someone get "Slow combat" from watching 5 seconds of footage of her fighting a single monster? Going by the fact that all the gameplay footage came from the exact same environment it's easy to infer that this was all a part of a very early section of the game that introduces the gameplay mechanics. We already know what the world map looks like and that there are many different varied sections of this city. That comment and the one about "PS1 geometry" are precisely what I was talking about, ridiculous.

We're only commenting on what they show in the trailer. I don't see how you could conclude that the game has a lot going for it based - solely - on what's shown in it.

I do think it's logical to assume that it will be much improved on release. I also see how someone could be hyped if they liked the previous XIII games or like what they've heard about this one.

Still...bad trailer!

Lightning is a strong, independent woman and she don't need no protection.

post-45702-0-99950800-1354134171.gif

Esura

Banned
Japan is the only place which matters though.

Not for me it doesn't unless it's about visual novels or something or anything involving the Nasuverse since there really isn't any official English counterparts for many VNs and Nasuverse stuff. If that was the case more people here would call Terra "Tina" instead of Terra.

Lain

You know what Dragon Quest needs in order to be more successful and to capture Western audiences?

LIGHTNING

Toriyama needs to pull some strings and get Claire Farron inserted as an alternate lead protagonist for Dragon Quest X on WiiU.

If they inserted Lightning in DQ, I'd consider trying to play that series again.
Go Toriyama go, work your magic!

Esura

Banned
Dragon Quest XI: Lightning Arrives
For iOS

I wonder why Square Enix never bothered making a cross over between FF and DQ. They are both rich with characters and stuff. I would love to play a cross over RPG with Maya, Meena, Yuna, and Lightning/Terra in my party.

fates

I wonder why Square Enix never bothered making a cross over between FF and DQ. They are both rich with characters and stuff. I would love to play a cross over RPG with Maya, Meena, Yuna, and Lightning/Terra in my party.

Technically they did, the Itadaki Street games.

Reveirg

lol @ the FFVIII - LR: FFXIII screenshot comparison.

The LR one is clearly distorted and screwed up... it doesn't look at all like that in the video.

Akainu

Something else I was thinking about. Those quick scenes of Light running through empty streets as if they were supposed to be impressive is hilarious.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Look, chances are this title is even more heavily outsourced than its predecessor, which means that those contractors probably haven't delivered their assets and therefore this trailer is using largely placeholder data.

Not saying this is fact, just far more probable than this art being representative of final quality. After all, if SE really don't give a shit about perceptions about the FF brand, they would have quietly buried, rather than gone all out resurrecting FFXIV.

I'm not saying this out of blind loyalty to SE, just that I don't think its smart to simply jump to conclusions without bearing in mind prior history, circumstance, and general standards and practices.

Thing for me is that if we as gamers, jump to find fault at any and all opportunity, it dilutes the shock, and therefore impact when there is a real case to answer.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
The thing I don't understand is if they're trying to make the series more COD Assassin's Creed brown Red Dead fps Space Marine Western, don't they know the guys who generally play those games aren't going to be caught dead buying something with a Moogle or a teenage bishie main lead in?
One of the reasons Agni's Philosophy irked me so much. You can tell they gave it the middle eastern war zone setting just to appeal to this crowd they're never gonna win over.

Resilient

lol @ the FFVIII - LR: FFXIII screenshot comparison.

The LR one is clearly distorted and screwed up... it doesn't look at all like that in the video.

Yeah it does. The geometry looks shit house through out the entire video. Regardless of image stretching in that pic. That's why it's so funny.

MCD

I just beat that Lightning DLC in 13-2...

Lol wut? They made me grind just to beat two bosses and that's it?

BIGGEST DLC TROLL EVER

Skilletor

Look, chances are this title is even more heavily outsourced than its predecessor, which means that those contractors probably haven't delivered their assets and therefore this trailer is using largely placeholder data.

Not saying this is fact, just far more probable than this art being representative of final quality. After all, if SE really don't give a shit about perceptions about the FF brand, they would have quietly buried, rather than gone all out resurrecting FFXIV.

I'm not saying this out of blind loyalty to SE, just that I don't think its smart to simply jump to conclusions without bearing in mind prior history, circumstance, and general standards and practices.

Thing for me is that if we as gamers, jump to find fault at any and all opportunity, it dilutes the shock, and therefore impact when there is a real case to answer.

I don't owe a company asking me to pay 60 dollars faith. I owe them nothing. This is their attempt to entice me to give them money. When they fail to do so, I will comment. If they show me something to change my opinion, I will comment.

Juken

If it wasn't ready to be shown then they shouldn't have shown it.

Esura

Banned
Fixed for positivity.

Cat outfit on Lightning? Meeeow...

What would be better is if Square takes a page out of Team Ninja's books with the bikinis. Dammit if Toriyama loves Lightning so much he needs to show it like they do for their DoA girls.

LuuKyK

PUHLEASE. Square doing an unlockable in game now that they know about DLC? Not if Theatrhythm, XIII-2, and DDFF are any proof.

You are clearly not following this game enough though, because they already said around 20 costumes will be available to unlock in game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom