• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
The FFXIII series is such a failure. What mediocre games, I mean, really. Even the FFVSXIII trailer is more entertaining than these games, and that trailer wasn't even that good. A multi-platform FF should have been selling like Assassins Creed. Part of the reason will be having a manchild of a lead character in Lightning. The other will be the incompetence of this team. I'm still in shock at how directionless they were and only got a solid idea of what to do after the bloody demo. And now this? This looks like Toriyama is regressing even more. Is such a thing even possible?

No, it's justified.

FFvXIII was announced in 2006. TWO THOUSAND AND SIX.

And they have nothing to show for it except for a cash-in sequel that we never asked for which looks and runs like an absolute dog.

Given their legacy, we have every right to be concerned. We have every right to be angry.

What make you sure that versus will even be good? The director behind the game is Tetsuya Nomura, the guy who's known for being the director and writer of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, a series that is known for it's poor storytelling and repetitive combat.

Verendus

Banned
What make you sure that versus will even be good? The director behind the game is Tetsuya Nomura, the guy who's known for being the director and writer of the Kingdom Hearts franchise, a series that is known for it's poor storytelling and repetitive combat.
Both Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 shit on the FFXIII series from great heights. Whatever he makes, won't be as disastrous as these games. And as crap as the story is in KH, it's still better than whatever Toriyama made which is basically his sex fantasy with a fictional character.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nomura's games are generally good though. Versus is an evolution of KH BBS's battle system which was fantastic.

Mario007

Nomura's games have great gameplay system. He is a very good director when it comes to telling the story (even as crazy as the KH story) and of course, Nojima wrote Versus.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
The problem with Nomura action-rpg titles is that you already know how it's going to play. But at least it's something enjoyable.

Man this thread is a war zone.

soldier%20tears.jpg

Yeah, squeenix definitely goofed big time but they probably invested too much in the concept to "go back" on it.

Really, the biggest problems with 13 were incomprehensible story with way too many made up words, many of which looked WAY too similar to each other, and how automatic the battle system was. The game did it's best to discourage the player involvement as much as possible, including making swapping "jobs" (sorry the name is eluding me) take way too long.

13-2 fixed those complaints for me. The story wasn't the greatest, but it removed the reliance on made up words and was certainly more cohesive. The battle system was still a little too automated for my tastes, but made combat more reflexive instead of 'tactical'. Job switches were near instant meaning if you saw an attack coming you could quickly change them to a more defensive stance and then quickly back out.

But as said above, not many people want to invest in a sequel when they didn't like the first game... Hell I didn't either, I just rented it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What... did I miss? Anything important?

Midou

Both Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 shit on the FFXIII series from great heights. Whatever he makes, won't be as disastrous as these games. And as crap as the story is in KH, it's still better than whatever Toriyama made which is basically his sex fantasy with a fictional character.

Could not agree more. If KH1 and KH2 are 'bad' in any way, this is the 'bad' I want more of, if the alternative is FFXIII.

Esura

Banned
Yeah, squeenix definitely goofed big time but they probably invested too much in the concept to "go back" on it.

Really, the biggest problems with 13 were incomprehensible story with way too many made up words, many of which looked WAY too similar to each other, and how automatic the battle system was. The game did it's best to discourage the player involvement as much as possible, including making swapping "jobs" (sorry the name is eluding me) take way too long.

13-2 fixed those complaints for me. The story wasn't the greatest, but it removed the reliance on made up words and was certainly more cohesive. The battle system was still a little too automated for my tastes, but made combat more reflexive instead of 'tactical'. Job switches were near instant meaning if you saw an attack coming you could quickly change them to a more defensive stance and then quickly back out.

But as said above, not many people want to invest in a sequel when they didn't like the first game... Hell I didn't either, I just rented it.

I always wondered why this been a typical major complaint against FFXIII for so long and not toward any other FF, well any RPG in general to be honest. There isn't that many terms you need to grasp in the game compared to games like FFT, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, FFXII, Xenoblade, Tales of the Abyss (especially this...what is a seventh fonon?).

Skilletor

I always wondered why this been a typical major complaint against FFXIII for so long and not toward any other FF, well any RPG in general to be honest. There isn't that many terms you need to grasp in the game compared to games like FFT, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series, FFXII, Xenoblade, Tales of the Abyss (especially this...what is a seventh fonon?).

Yeah, it's an odd complaint to me. It's like fans of Final Fantasy don't play or read anything in the Fantasy genre.

Koji, magicite, esper and magitek are made up words that got thrown around quite a lot in FFVI as well, the problem with FFXIII is that it didn't explain anything while actually playing the game and left every single thing that could have been easily explained during the game in the Datalog.

It was just a poorly constructed story, running down hallways was more important than giving proper context to the action I guess.

patapuf

The words were fine, The problem is that the story is told so badly that you never get a good grasp on what they actually mean/ they lack meaningful weight.

Seda

I think the L-Cie, Fal-Cie stuff is the least of XIII's problems. There's so many other things to be disappointed about.

Midou

I think the L-Cie, Fal-Cie stuff is the least of XIII's problems. There's so many other things to be disappointed about.

It was a problem that strikes you fairly early on though. If the game was going to have such a slow opening, it should have spent that time with world building rather than tutorials, before unleashing all those garbage terms without explaining them properly.

LuuKyK

Take several seats. What kind of fucked up thing to say about a person you don't even know and is only doing his job? You should be thankful he at least is making games while you are here bitching about the games he is making. Ugh, so hard to be self-controlled in threads like these.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Take several seats. What kind of fucked up thing to say about a person you don't even know and is only doing his job? You should be thankful he at least is making games while you are here bitching about the games he is making. Ugh, so hard to be self-controlled in threads like these.
Just quoting this for posterity.

Juken

Why would you be thankful if you don't like the games?

You're taking this too personally.

KH2 is the major dissapointment I had on a SE game, ever.

It took everything that made KH an enjoyable action RPG and substitued by a button smashing shitty combat system and linear boring scenarios.

KH2 is a WORST game than XIII, because at least XIII has a somewhat fun but limited combat system.

Seda

KH2 worst flaw is that it is too easy. Which makes button mashing a valid (and boring) strategy. You pretty much has to impose more restrictions on yourself (Kingdom Key only, no forms, no skills, etc) to up the challenge to make it so you actually have to approach battle situations smartly.

Skilletor

LOL. You have to be a joke poster. People don't owe these developers anything. They're not giving us games. We pay for them. Since they're asking us money, they should deliver products which we deem worthy of the efforts. If consumers don't think it's worth the money, they will say so.

Now that I think about it... haven't pretty much every mainline FF game ran like ass after 6?

hmmm... did 11 and 12 run decent? My mind is blank about their performance atm.

Jeels

Yeah, it's an odd complaint to me. It's like fans of Final Fantasy don't play or read anything in the Fantasy genre.

I'm willing to believe some of the hardcare fans of XIII and XIII2 (the defense force guys) probably don't play many good JRPG's in general.

You should be thankful he at least is making games

Oh my god, time to bail out folks.

Now that I think about it... haven't pretty much every mainline FF game ran like ass after 6?

hmmm... did 11 and 12 run decent? My mind is blank about their performance atm.

Uh...no?

Even the PS1 ones only had slowdown when one of those super over the top spells were going off.

And FFIX was just slow in general so I wouldn't know.

DJIzana

I wonder how long can SquareEnix live off it's past glorys.

The last two days their stock has dropped 1.5%. I don't expect them to last all of the next generation, they could die off earlier.

I say this because of the business model we have in the West, for MMO's, is lately free to play. They will rely heavily on Japan sales for that.

By the looks of it... It doesn't look like LR receives a warm welcoming by the general FF fan base, GAF and other sites but who knows?

If they also don't localize titles such as Bravery Default or Type-0, games us western jrpg fans like, it doesn't make them look good either. If that trend keeps up then yeah... they won't exist for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom