• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth |OT| - Aloha, is it me you're looking for?

Isa

Drove to the other side of the island and picked up my merch. They even hooked me up with some extra keychains.🤙

Dude that's awesome!! Do you live there or just visiting? Nice score though!

Loving the game so far, and my gf has been glued to the TV with me watching everything. I recently got to Hawaii and its beautiful, has that feeling a lot of Japanese games have that I love, that kind of DOA Beach Volleyball or or DOA tropical themed stages. Very relaxing and a place I'd love to visit IRL. Also the battle system is awesome.

F31 Leopard

Dude that's awesome!! Do you live there or just visiting? Nice score though!

Loving the game so far, and my gf has been glued to the TV with me watching everything. I recently got to Hawaii and its beautiful, has that feeling a lot of Japanese games have that I love, that kind of DOA Beach Volleyball or or DOA tropical themed stages. Very relaxing and a place I'd love to visit IRL. Also the battle system is awesome.
I live here. You can order the merch online https://matsumotoshaveice.com/shop

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Isa

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I forgot how cutscene heavy these games are.… almost dauntingly so.
I mostly disagree. I was telling a friend about the prompts it gives you for when longer cutscenes are coming but I expected a lot worse. I expect MGS levels of long.

This isn't as bad as I thought and honestly, the story is so interesting (to me) that I'm hanging on all of it.

• Fire
I mostly disagree. I was telling a friend about the prompts it gives you for when longer cutscenes are coming but I expected a lot worse. I expect MGS levels of long.

This isn't as bad as I thought and honestly, the story is so interesting (to me) that I'm hanging on all of it.
I know what you mean. A guy started some exposition by saying "it's a long story" and I thought "uh-oh, here we go" but it was less than 5 mins and I was interested the whole time lol

keefged4

I've only played around 16 hours and in Chapter 5, but I know this game is special. It's taken all the best things from LAD 7 and refined an already amazing game into an even better one. The amount of things to do in this is staggering. The story is captivating and excellent, as expected from RGG. Easy 10/10 from me.

Go_Ly_Dow

If I wanted to get into this series were should I start?
Thanks.
Hmmm if you're keen to jump in the story with the new protag then I'd say Yakuza: Like a Dragon and then Infinite Wealth.

Playing through all of the old games and you'd be really burnt out, so you could start with Kiwami 2 (remake of the 2nd), then jump straight to 6 and watch the recaps for all the previous games (I feel 3/4 adds the most to story, but 5 not so much).. Then play Like a Dragon the man who erased his name. Personally I'd also skip the side content and just focus on the story if you did this.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I've only played around 16 hours and in Chapter 5, but I know this game is special. It's taken all the best things from LAD 7 and refined an already amazing game into an even better one. The amount of things to do in this is staggering. The story is captivating and excellent, as expected from RGG. Easy 10/10 from me.
Loving the game but so far side content is on the low side, Im only at chapter 4 though so im sure theres more. Hoping for something like ichiban holdings but so far its a friend app and dating sim, neither seemed to have much depth

Vyse

Gold Member
Just started up and couldn’t get HDR to work. Found out I had plugged into the wrong port. So excited to be back in my favorite video game world!

LordCBH

Deep in chapter 3. Loving it so far. The returning crew from the English version of 7 still kick ass. The new English kiryu is just bad. Like really bad.

StereoVsn

I would argue that a lot of the side content of Yakuza Like a Dragon games are just as good if not better than main story stuff. Stuff like protecting not Michael Jackson from not zombies while filming not Thriller was brilliant and the Cabaret Club management has always been one of my favorite things to do (when included).
Yeah, side story are pretty great. Cabaret and Real Estate I was ambivalent about. Same as a lot of other mini games.

F31 Leopard

I'd love to visit IRL.
If you ever get the chance to visit come around New Year's Eve. Aerial Fireworks are illegal here and this is how we celebrate every time. Here's a video from my hometown.

Government been trying to crack down for decades without success. It's better to experience in person. And don't let the dumb anti-tourist mob on the internet deter you from coming.

• Love
Even though the map is a condensed version of Honolulu I can make out most of the locations. I used to service tv systems at most of the large hotels in Waikiki back in the day and knew almost all th main buildings and streets like the back of my hand.

Its cool to see some real local businesses in-game and npc actual talk Hawaii pidgin english. They pronouce the food "Poke" correct, too

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

I'm 13 hours in now, still on chapter 3 lol

So many great side-quests and mini-games.
I feel like I'm going to be in Ch.3 for a while as well. Didn't expect the dating to be as interesting.

I'm just scratching the surface of the stuff I saw in previews too.

It's the reason I've really like these last 2 entries in how it incorporates the mechanics and layers them in.

I want to continue to see why some things are happening to me but I'm starting to see all those icons and side missions and they are pretty engaging.

LiquidMetal14

Game runs great on the steam deck. I just went ahead and locked it to 30 and I'm running it at native resolution with FSR quality. Mostly high settings with the stuff like motion blur turned off. It dips a little below 30 and some intense sequences so locking it to that while retaining reasonable quality is good. I would say it runs just as good if not better than the last game.

Croga

Just some thoughts on the audio.

The original Like a Dragon I played though in English and Japanese and surprisingly enjoyed the dub, was really well done and felt decent.

But I just cannot take Yong Yea as Kiryu. He is legit making me consider playing in Japanese, even though I really like Kasuga and the gangs English dubs enough to play this in English from the start.

He is so out of place as Kiryu, the voice just does not match, at all. Everytime he says something it's so jarring.

It's such a shame they didn't get Darryl back to voice Kiryu again.
He was a great fit and at least sounded like someone in their late 50s (considering he is) not like Yong being a lad in his 20s trying to sound that age and doing a gruff voice, just a ridiculous choice for the role.

What were they thinking...

GymWolf

I haven't readed any review or mpression yet, did they spiced up the combat in some way? and is it still mindlessly easy except for like 3 fights in 100 hours like the first game?

But most important, is there a cabaret mingame that play like y0 or kiwami 2?

Last edited:

Skifi28

I haven't readed any review or mpression yet, did they spiced up the combat in some way? and is it still mindlessly easy except for like 3 fights in 100 hours like the first game?
From what I've read, challenge has been normalized. There are difficult fights, but you don't have to grind 10 hours just to start the final chapter and the game informs you about level requirements before stating each major mission. The combat itself is improved taking player positioning into account.

Honestly looks like a great step up in all accounts, the only thing I probably won't care for is the animal crossing island which I imagine I can just ignore.

Last edited:

GymWolf

From what I've read, challenge has been normalized. There are difficult fights, but you don't have to grind 10 hours just to start the final chapter and the game informs you about level requirements before stating each major mission. The combat itself is improved taking player positioning into account.

Honestly looks like a great step up in all accounts, the only thing I probably won't care for is the animal crossing island which I imagine I can just ignore.
The fucking what? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

How did they improved the game compared with Like a Dragon? New features, skills?
Combat is more involving, lots of positional considerations where you can move before taking your turn in such a way that you knock enemies into walls, or into other enemies or into your allies who hit them again. You can also time a button press to block their attacks and reduce damage but that may have been in the first game and I just forgot. lots of characters and classes that all have new skills. Generally a large helping of yakuza stuff like good new minigames and a large new city to explore.

xrnzaaas

The combat becomes even more satisfying when you unlock combo attacks. You can perform a combo on an enemy on top of him hitting a wall or bouncing off another teammate and receiving even more damage.

One thing I don't like is how enemies disperse after a few seconds into the fight. You have to be quick if for instance you want to use a grenade (or pretty much any other aoe) skill at the beginning of the encounter.

Last edited:

keefged4

Loving the game but so far side content is on the low side, Im only at chapter 4 though so im sure theres more. Hoping for something like ichiban holdings but so far its a friend app and dating sim, neither seemed to have much depth
Keep playing. I'm not going to spoil anything here.

Iyhhi7Z.jpg

Oh the joys of a Yakuza game lol

jXpdk1D.jpg
gxuJoZ2.jpg

Now that Hawaii has opened up I don't see myself making much story progress, been running around doing sidequests, exploring (found a freak hiding in a tree!) and battling, nice to be in a party with the OG, having a blast even though I still haven't unlocked jobs yet.

One strange thing with the 3 stances in battle, Heat actions never activate (yes, I'm using the correct stance). Standing close to the enemy, positioning myself next to certain objects, always just get the same 3 hit combo, weird. Otherwise it feels fantastic, previous game had a strong foundation so they really only needed to add to it.

On the topic of voices, I've got to play in Japanese with these characters but I was hoping the English speakers always speak in English, that seems to be...random. Cop looks Japanese so OK but his partner is yelling at me in English. Most of the NPC's I've come across are actually Japanese so that makes sense but how is Kasuga communicating with the little blond boy selling lemonade? If they made Danny Trejo speak Japanese I'm going to have to switch to English VA though that might be even more jarring.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly...

finally seeing Kiryu break loose and have fun as part of the plot hit me right in the feels I had no idea I needed to see that.

Nanba is a total wingman in this, and it's nice to see him bond with the mostly stoic Kiryu as it enables him to open up more than in prior titles.

Great game so far, and they use both protagonists well, I just wish SEGA hadn't locked new game+ behind an "optional" upgrade.

Last edited:

Hrk69

Downloading babyyyy

Can't wait! Haven't seen anything but some screenshot's so I'm ready to be surprised

Palworld can wait.

Last edited:
  • Strength

SCB3

Finally getting to start this after finishing Sea of Stars and Tekken 8 this weekend/today, and man I tried but Ichibans English dub doesn't seem right and after playing the last 4 Yakuza/Judgement games in Japanese with English Subs, I think I've switching back to it, I was a big fan of the English dub in 7 but it doesn't feel right anymore

But most important, is there a cabaret mingame that play like y0 or kiwami 2?

The first games combat was so easy it might as well not have even been in the game. I have a hard time imagining this one would be harder (even though it should) because there seems to be a trend with AAA Japanese games these days in that everything has to be piss easy. I never see anyone complaining about it either so what incentive will they have to change it? Would love to be wrong as I havn't played IW.

Top Bottom