• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List of PlayStation 4 Pro Forward Compatibilty Games

So we won't get 4k multiplayer in any games anytime soon? I would love to play BF1 at checkerboard 4k res.

I torn on this. On the one hand I think its good try to keep the multiplayer even and not give advantages to some people, but then again, resolution differences are a thing in PC gaming, too, and its not ruining multiplayer, so I think its kinda dumb that Ps4 Pro has just a lot of wasted hardware power.

Of course they do! Although, for the frame rate, we need to see how it's actually handled once the Pro is out.

Oh. I thought I read when this info came out that it wouldn't apply to MP matches/online play. Glad to be wrong, but yeah, we'll see if they allow better frames to one system over the other in MP.

Saberus

All these changes detailed by developers sound so subtle, as if they're talking about a 10% GPU performance increase, not a 100%+ increase. I just find it strange given the big jump in GPU power of Pro.

I'm the article it does say, they didn't have enough time with the hardware, so they are doing what they can at this point, Its understandable.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I wonder if Just Cause 3 will be playable on Pro... Lol

Avalanche doesn't get nearly enough shit for how poorly they handled that game.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I was wondering too. But i guess they don't want to give Pro users an advantage. They'll be playing against ps4 players.

If PS4 aims for 60fps, pro will also aim for 60fps, if PS4 aims for 30fps, pro will also aim for 30fps. But there is a difference between aiming for that and solid or locked. Devs cant force Pro to simulate every drop of the original PS4 afterall outside of 'base mode'.

So we won't get 4k multiplayer in any games anytime soon? I would love to play BF1 at checkerboard 4k res.

Not until next gen, sorry. But we should get great IQ and res either way. Titanfall goes below 1080p to hit 60fps. Pro probably is 1080p minimum and scales higher depending on load. Same with BF1. And because neither PS4 or XB1 hit native 1080p on BF1, that will be a good boost all on its own

But wasn't the cutoff for required Pro support the end of September? Or did that turn out to not be true?

We don't know much at all about VR titles at all.

farisr

But wasn't the cutoff for required Pro support the end of September? Or did that turn out to not be true?
We don't know yet, and we won't know unless a dev or insider outright comes out and states that the requirement isn't there anymore or a game that has come out from October onwards doesn't have a pro patch when the Pro is out.

Also we don't know if that requirement applied to vr titles.

Not until next gen, sorry. But we should get great IQ and res either way. Titanfall goes below 1080p to hit 60fps. Pro probably is 1080p minimum and scales higher depending on load. Same with BF1. And because neither PS4 or XB1 hit native 1080p on BF1, that will be a good boost all on its own.

I just don't get the point of doubling the power when only very few games are going to make use of that power and most will just go with a 10% res increase.

Shoeless

So far we've had bigger VR games like Farpoint already admit that there are Pro enhancements that will improve the image quality of games. Smaller indie titles like Bound have also said there would be Pro improvements.

But yeah, so far no blanket statement saying that every VR game released in the month of October would be guaranteed to get a "post-Pro boost" patch, though some, like EVE and Here They Lie would see big gains from that.

This forward compatibility stuff is so bizarre. Makes me not want to play anything compatible until I get a PS4 Pro or Scorpio.

Really makes wonder how Microsoft will handle this as well. Think I'd rather have a Scorpio than PS4 Pro, but Mass Effect should be out in early 2017, so I'd be waiting a while if I want Sorpio forward compatibility.

Such difficult times we live in. #firstworldproblems

Inuhanyou

I just don't get the point of doubling the power when only very few games are going to make use of that power and most will just go with a 10% res increase.

Not to fully disagree with you, because by default, iterative consoles(Pro and Scorpio both) are going to be limited to mere iteration on already made games, that like remasters, generally will only be appreciated by certain folk who can parse the minute details.

But with that being said even the most general and basic of improvements will show a notable difference. For example, the res increase of most games targeting pro(either shown in downsampling to 1080p televisions or checkerboard rendering up to 4K televisions) is more than 100% in most instances we've seen. The increase we're seeing here is actually more than the approximate jump from 720p to 1080p. That's not a minor thing at all.

Developers working on big games will be well positioned to take advantage of this upgrade in power, which generally speaking, and developers working on smaller games generally don't need much in the way of upgrading in the ways Pro helps with.

Inuhanyou

This forward compatibility stuff is so bizarre. Makes me not want to play anything compatible until I get a PS4 Pro or Scorpio.

Really makes wonder how Microsoft will handle this as well. Think I'd rather have a Scorpio than PS4 Pro, but Mass Effect should be out in early 2017, so I'd be waiting a while if I want Sorpio forward compatibility.

Such difficult times we live in. #firstworldproblems

Scorpio will handle games the same way. Their earlier games for XB1 will have to be locked to XB1S's performance profile specifically because the jump in hardware is so massive compared to a minor 10% GPU upclock like XB1S, and it could cause tons of problems if left unlocked.

They have been talking up dynamic res and scalability, but that generally only applies to their first party titles.

And especially if Scorpio does not use Zen, the only difference generally between Scorpio and Pro will be how much more resolution Scorpio can get beyond Pro.

Not to fully disagree with you, because by default, iterative consoles(Pro and Scorpio both) are going to be limited to mere iteration on already made games, that like remasters, generally will only be appreciated by certain folk who can parse the minute details.

But with that being said even the most general and basic of improvements will show a notable difference. For example, the res increase of most games targeting pro(either shown in downsampling to 1080p televisions or checkerboard rendering up to 4K televisions) is more than 100% in most instances we've seen. The increase we're seeing here is actually more than the approximate jump from 720p to 1080p. That's not a minor thing at all.

Developers working on big games will be well positioned to take advantage of this upgrade in power, which generally speaking, and developers working on smaller games generally don't need much in the way of upgrading in the ways Pro helps with.

Yeah, I would be happy with 4k checkerboard, but apparently we're not going to get that in most games in order to keep an even playing field in multiplayer.

Which makes me wonder why these iterations get substantially more power just for developers to let that power go unused for weird reasons.

When I play on PC in 1080p I'm not mad at people who spent 2000 bucks on their PC and are playing in 4k.
I kinda think its a bad precedent that devs want to keep the playing field on consoles even now, especially since it looks like the industry is moving to more rapid hardware iterations.
I think its a mistake to try to not give Pro owners a significant resolution advantage in multiplayer. The Pro has that power -> use it.

Considering getting a pro. Any word on TLG+pro benefits? And am i right in assuming that FF15 will not ship with any pro enchancements?

That XV thread was a giant pile of confusion and misinformation. They already said there would be a pro patch ready at launch and the people who have seen it were gushing about it.

Older multiplayer games will unlikely get an update, Dice's focus is on the BF 1 now I guess.

Also GTA V is unlikely now that they announced Read Dead 2, would be cool though :)

i think fixing the horrendous loading times of gta V should be a bigger priority than any graphics work

Inuhanyou

Considering getting a pro. Any word on TLG+pro benefits? And am i right in assuming that FF15 will not ship with any pro enchancements?

Tabata said that FF15 on Pro will be getting 4K support and HDR. "4K support" on Pro is generally code word for checkerboard rendering, or atleast higher resolution support, which means automatic downsampling for lower res displays.

Yeah, I would be happy with 4k checkerboard, but apparently we're not going to get that in most games in order to keep an even playing field in multiplayer.

That was never stated. The only limitation in multiplayer is that developers cannot go from 30 to 60 for example. Otherwise, they are free to run games in any way they choose.

SenkiDala

We know if the UC4 patch will be there day one?

No news about a DSIII patch? The first DLC is almost here so... I had some hopes.

Can't wait for Digital Foundry to have a field day with the Pro :) I'm getting one and I'm still excited for their coverage. What I'm hoping for is early looks at it, though I doubt we'll get any.

Hawk269

So far we've had bigger VR games like Farpoint already admit that there are Pro enhancements that will improve the image quality of games. Smaller indie titles like Bound have also said there would be Pro improvements.

But yeah, so far no blanket statement saying that every VR game released in the month of October would be guaranteed to get a "post-Pro boost" patch, though some, like EVE and Here They Lie would see big gains from that.

I am hoping Driveclub VR is Pro patched. The game is blurry and IQ is a complete mess with that game. If it uses the PRO they can clean it up a lot and it would be enjoyable experience...right now it is pretty much shitty looking and is not fun at all due to how poor the IQ is.

Have devs said what improvements there'll be for BF1?

After playing BF1 this weekend on PS4, I think the Pro can really have a substantial benefit just for a more stable frame rate alone.

On the standard PS4 the frame-rate is rough in 64p matches Conquest and Operations, with frequent dips to 30fps. IQ is good but moving from 900p to 1080p should definitely help as well. They don't even have to add any fancy new graphical features for me, just a more stable frame rate will really make playing this game more satisfying.

adz2ka

Excuse the ignorance but how does it work re: BF1 - will there be another patch on the 10th November specifically for PS4Pro, or will it just...'work'? We've just had a 2.4gb patch today which I assume doesn't contain anything PS4Pro related...

Excuse the ignorance but how does it work re: BF1 - will there be another patch on the 10th November specifically for PS4Pro, or will it just...'work'? We've just had a 2.4gb patch today which I assume doesn't contain anything PS4Pro related...

Didn't they already release a PS4 Pro patch for Rise of the Tombraider? I don't see why they couldn't already include it in BF1 today, the standard PS4 should not be affected by it I'd think.

I am hoping Driveclub VR is Pro patched. The game is blurry and IQ is a complete mess with that game. If it uses the PRO they can clean it up a lot and it would be enjoyable experience...right now it is pretty much shitty looking and is not fun at all due to how poor the IQ is.

Rushy has said they haven't used the "full power" of PS4 Pro, but there will be "a few more visual details enabled"

I wonder if Just Cause 3 will be playable on Pro... Lol

Avalanche doesn't get nearly enough shit for how poorly they handled that game.

I was SO HYPED for this game upon reveal back in Fall 2014. Its what motivated me to pick up a PS4 that Christmas. I gave the PS4 to my bro last year and now eagerly awaiting the Pro. It'd be a dream come true if those Avalance devs thoroughly fixed that mess of a game....JC2 was such a blast man..!

:(

If PS4 aims for 60fps, pro will also aim for 60fps, if PS4 aims for 30fps, pro will also aim for 30fps. But there is a difference between aiming for that and solid or locked. Devs cant force Pro to simulate every drop of the original PS4 afterall outside of 'base mode'.

I cant even think of a 2016/1017 game that does 30 FPS in multiplayer. isn't 60FPS kind of the standard now?

We know if the UC4 patch will be there day one?

No news about a DSIII patch? The first DLC is almost here so... I had some hopes.

Honestly give me Bloodborne 4K first . . .

Scholar should be an easy 4K now that I think about it . . .

Inuhanyou

I cant even think of a 2016/1017 game that does 30 FPS in multiplayer. isn't 60FPS kind of the standard now?

Whatever the standard is isnt the issue, the point is that the Pro version and the base can't vary between target FPS. Devs cant prioritize Pro for unlocked 60 for example while capping PS4 to 30

Top Bottom