• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
donkey show said:
Jocchan, looks like we might have to wait for LBP2 to bust out Dudebro LBP proper. :lol We can make one of the Sackbots into Chicken and have him cover your back. :D
You know, I was thinking about some way to make it a top-down shooter entirely :O

Stampy

HankToms said:
Open your miiiiiiind

Hm, my mind is opened. And it's not like I am talking against the game and its possibilities. I mean, LBP1 was at its basics a platformer creator, and people who were creative enough came up with all those crazy genre bending ideas. And as it was possible to realize all wild ideas in LBP1, I really believe the case will be the same in LBP2 as well. That is not what I am disputing. But it's just that the information from GI could suggest that a larger focus was put on developing a level creator that will make it possible to create all types of games. And I am just guessing how they improved on that, as so far saving thermometer space is not such a big deal to an average LBP creator.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_nothin said:
Now that we can change the size of Sackboy/girl, then maybe we can have a powerup for it. Hopefully something can trigger sackboy's size and we can make him bigger or smaller for a certain amount of time.

They look like sackbots...not sackboy per se.

Whoever said there wasn't much graphical improvement...dunno what your definition of 'much' is, but I think anyone who's spent any substantial amount of time with LBP, recently too, would immediately see the difference. Polys/texture/lighting all look bumped up, looks very...smooth. CG-ish. And more striking, perhaps, is the scale of detail that's presented in some of those shots. Take the mechanical bee thing...the detail on that. Relative to the size of the sackboy, that's a much smaller scale of detail than was evident in the first (which is very good news if you wanna build stuff on a smaller scale that's still nicely detailed).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stampy said:
Hm, my mind is opened. And it's not like I am talking against the game and its possibilities. I mean, LBP1 was at its basics a platformer creator, and people who were creative enough came up with all those crazy genre bending ideas. And as it was possible to realize all wild ideas in LBP1, I really believe the case will be the same in LBP2 as well. That is not what I am disputing. But it's just that the information from GI could suggest that a larger focus was put on developing a level creator that will make it possible to create all types of games. And I am just guessing how they improved on that, as so far saving thermometer space is not such a big deal to an average LBP creator.
Nah, I guess we can expect the editor to be pretty much the same, with newer tools opening much more possibilities.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
expy said:
There's like 10 sackboys in that one image!!

Oh man it's hectic enough with 4 sackboys, I can't even begin to imagine the mayhem that would be caused by 10 at a time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The multiple sackboys = sackbots.... I think :p Not player controlled sackboys.

It's probably the 'disco' scene mentioned in the GI info.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
There's a 110% chance that I will pick this up.

Or actually more like 99% chance, I took away the 1% in case I die before LBP2 comes out. I won't get it if that happens.

Stampy

red shoe paul said:
I may or may not pick this up. If there's nothing added that blows me away, it's a no go.

And that is what I am wondering the most. What will get the average gamer, who didn't even invest much time in the level creator in LBP 1, to become interested in LBP2. It seems to me that gamers would see this game as identical to the first one, only with new story missions.

Jocchan said:
You know, I was thinking about some way to make it a top-down shooter entirely :O
I'm down. Sounds like the first Neogaf team project is in the planning phases. :lol :D

I'll definitely try to test some stuff out at E3 with top-down then. ^^

Stampy

To me this is an instant buy, since I appreciate new finesses. But I really don't see how the majority of LBP1 gamers would even take notice of them. :/ I don't know, maybe I am to much underestimating majority of LBP players. :/ I guess all those trophy levels forced me to make assumptions.

spats

The pictures are definitely very impressive.

People have done incredibly impressive stuff with the (fairly limited) lbp1 editor. Some guy did a functioning calculator with it for shit's sake. I predict there will be some insane lbp2 levels.

mr_nothin

Banned
donkey show said:
I'm down. Sounds like the first Neogaf team project is in the planning phases. :lol :D

I'll definitely try to test some stuff out at E3 with top-down then. ^^
So you can have the sackbots follow sackboy? Awesome!
You can use sackbots for Gradius style "options"

Suzzopher said:
As well as in game community support there will be a website lbp.me. It will run on the same servers as the game and each player will have a dedicated page to themselves with which to share their creations.

They have shared tech with Santa Monica for better depth of field effects.

They saw levels created in the presentation were Snake, Micro Machines, Asteroids, Bionic Commando(Grappling Hook), Plok, Gradius, Choplifter, Puzzle Bubble, Shadow of the Colossus, Space Invaders and A Boy and his Blob.

Alex Evans went on to say they have streamlined creation as well as expanding it. Using the Gradius game that was created as an example of levels that he hopes more people will be able to make with ease.
Surely that's not all they said, right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So...in the space invaders pic, TTP pointed out that the 'ship' looks like the 'mechanical bee', but top-down, orientated around as a shooter thing.

He also pointed out stuff on the side of the screen that looked orientated 'the wrong way'. As if the camera had indeed changed perspective, as if the camera was moved into a top-down perspective, and also rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

So I'm a little more on the fence about whether perspective changes will be possible :p

Perspective change would also make sense from the POV of letting you use sackboy and sackbots in a top-down context, without them looking silly...if perspective change isn't there, then all top-down protagonists would have to be crafted contraptions that are made to look appropriate. Sackboy and sackbots wouldn't really be usable...

I hope we get an answer to that question on Monday.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
To Far Away Times said:
You can fix the floaty jump physics? Megaton incoming.
If they fix that, i think LBP2 will become one of my most anticipated games.:lol

mr_nothin

Banned
gofreak said:
So...in the space invaders pic, TTP pointed out that the 'ship' looks like the 'mechanical bee', but top-down, orientated around as a shooter thing.

He also pointed out stuff on the side of the screen that looked orientated 'the wrong way'. As if the camera had indeed changed perspective, as if the camera was moved into a top-down perspective, and also rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

So I'm a little more on the fence about whether perspective changes will be possible :p

Perspective change would also make sense from the POV of letting you use sackboy and sackbots in a top-down context, without them looking silly...if perspective change isn't there, then all top-down protagonists would have to be crafted contraptions that are made to look appropriate. Sackboy and sackbots wouldn't really be usable...

I hope we get an answer to that question on Monday.
I dont think the 'mechanical bee' screen was top down. Unless there are other scans out there.

Stampy

Perspective change would make the sequel truly meaningful, because so far I don't see how all this couldn't have been done in a big DLC pack.

netguy503

Stampy said:
Perspective change would make the sequel truly meaningful, because so far I don't see how all this couldn't have been done in a big DLC pack.

maybe we will get lucky and they will only charge us $40 like SSF4 then.:D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_nothin said:
I dont think the 'mechanical bee' screen was top down. Unless there are other scans out there.

There's a 'space invaders' screen with a spaceship. Hard to say what it is, but might be the 'bee'.

Stampy said:

They could release LBP2 as a DLC pack, but it would be a $50 or $60 pack ;) If you're gonna make these big changes that carry the implications they do, and add so much content, you either make a big expensive DLC pack or make a new sequel. The other option is to split it up into smaller DLC packs...but the people making Modnation Racers had a good point about that:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245665

"It's hard to continually bolt on features to the same game because basically you have a divide between the people who have updated the game through purchasing download content, and those who haven't," he said.

"And so you start with a very cohesive community and then you have not. So certain features you have to do in a sequel so that you can reset the playing field, and make all these great features that you worked so hard to put in the game accessible to the largest number of players possible."

In other words, if you want to be sure everyone who has one bit of DLC has all the others in a group, the best thing to do is to bundle them together and release a big pack...or a sequel.

Ranger X

Oh snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap just say the scans...

That looks like the sequel for the game I know. And god I love to see this AI sub-options menu. Finally we'll make "ennemies". (will probably not open for making bosses much original but whatever)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:

No, I didn't mean top down. Just the camera rotated 90 degrees clockwise to give the impression you are pointing up rather than to the right.

The right side of that screen shot looks like the horizontal plane (with fences), but rotated vertically.

Teknoman

Magic mouths are not gone, Basically nothing is gone, only improved upon or added to - how else would this game be totally backwards compatible with everything that you have already made, played and bought

vfcff8.jpg

Also hell yeah at grappling hook! Heres hoping for melee weapons as well. Info on each player having their own dedicated webpage?

Stampy

If levels will be directly transferred from LBP1, does that mean that players who play on those same levels in LBP1 could be joined with ones playing LBP2?

I really hope, they are going to create a meaningful categorization of levels, because a real mess will occur with all these LBP1 and LBP2 levels intertwining in search engines.

Ranger X

Stampy said:
If levels will be directly transferred from LBP1, does that mean that players who play on those same levels in LBP1 could be joined with ones playing LBP2?

I really hope, they are going to create a meaningful categorization of levels, because a real mess will occur with all these LBP1 and LBP2 levels intertwining in search engines.

Whatever happens with the game, it's completely fucked if they don't rethink their community aspect as a whole. THEY NEED to make our work finds its audience directly and they need remove as much "competition feel" as possible.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Stampy said:

A simple filter would suffice no?

MrPliskin

Banned
gofreak said:
There's a 'space invaders' screen with a spaceship. Hard to say what it is, but might be the 'bee'.

They could release LBP2 as a DLC pack, but it would be a $50 or $60 pack ;) If you're gonna make these big changes that carry the implications they do, and add so much content, you either make a big expensive DLC pack or make a new sequel. The other option is to split it up into smaller DLC packs...but the people making Modnation Racers had a good point about that:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245665

In other words, if you want to be sure everyone who has one bit of DLC has all the others in a group, the best thing to do is to bundle them together and release a big pack...or a sequel.

The biggest issue with continuing to add content through DLC like they have been is that the update process becomes extraordinary. Essentially new comers to LBP will be turned off by the amazing amount of patches and what not they have to download to play online. Imagine buying LBP now and updating everything. Now imagine adding all of this on top o fit. It's a tall glass to fill, and I think they made the right choice moving it to a sequel.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
No, I didn't mean top down. Just the camera rotated 90 degrees clockwise to give the impression you are pointing up rather than to the right.

The right side of that screen shot looks like the horizontal plane (with fences), but rotated vertically.
There must be more scans that I dont know about. Im looking at the game informer scans. The bee screen is just a close-up on the bee+sackgirl.
Edge scans?

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
Whatever happens with the game, it's completely fucked if they don't rethink their community aspect as a whole. THEY NEED to make our work finds its audience directly and they need remove as much "competition feel" as possible.

Exactly. Also more music tracks in the various categories. Dont just give us one horror themed song. Hoping for some 8-bit sounding or futuristic (electronic?) themes too...especially with the whole time travel story mode.

It's time for revenge...
Time for LB Super C :D

34o93c0.jpg

Hopefully we'll finally be able to make true vehicle scrolling stages like Contra III/Hard corps hovercycle stages.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEtNfdObx8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI3V...D552E5AC&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=46

Or something like this (with the rocket) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEmvowi4xPk (dont mind the intro).

Also we should be able to link together the past LBP1 stages.

Ranger X

Teknoman said:
Exactly. Also more music tracks in the various categories. Dont just give us one horror themed song. Hoping for some 8-bit sounding or futuristic (electronic?) themes too...especially with the whole time travel story mode.

They should give us a music editor really. You know, just a tracker in wich you place samples and it plays them. Then you save your song in a radio (taking same space as a normal radio) and then voila, new music in your level.

Teknoman

Ranger X said:
They should give us a music editor really. You know, just a tracker in wich you place samples and it plays them. Then you save your song in a radio (taking same space as a normal radio) and then voila, new music in your level.

Maybe something like that will happen, since we'll have the ability to record sounds?

netguy503

Ranger X said:

Aren't they doing this when it said you could record your own voiced dialogue for your character instead of using the "magic mouth"? What's to stop you recording your own music/an artist's music and putting it in your level instead of dialogue.

Though I could see where MM/SONY might get sued for that and if it is over abused they might take out that feature all together. :/

Edit: Tekno beat me to it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Top-down's actually a bit complicated.

Dunno if they'll have 'full' top-down mode.

This would require, changing camera perspective around the x-axis, but then also changing the way the layers worked. If they didn't, you'd be limited in movement along either the new x or y axis. The old z axis, with layers, becomes either your new x or y axis.

So instead you want the layers to work along the old y axis. If that makes sense.

That would allow for sackboy/sackbots and physics to all work consistently as if you're looking top-down. I dunno if MM will do that, they might think it'd be confusing for people.

The space invaders screen doesn't suggest that kind of mode...it does suggest a perspective shift, but one where x-y movement is still along the 'old' x-y axis. A simpler system, but tradeoffs vs a hypothetical system where you turn the cam straight down on sackboy, and open up the 'old' z-axis, and put the layer system along the y-axis.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
Aren't they doing this when it said you could record your own voiced dialogue for your character instead of using the "magic mouth"? What's to stop you recording your own music/an artist's music and putting it in your level instead of dialogue.

Though I could see where MM/SONY might get sued for that and if it is over abused they might take out that feature all together. :/

Edit: Tekno beat me to it.

I bet you'll be allowed to record just a few seconds of sound.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:
Lets not forget how the size of the sound byte might affect the thermo.

Of course. Didn't mean to sound "pessimistic", but rather realistic about the whole thing. Posing a limit (say, 5 secs) would cover the sound effect/voice over needs while avoiding legal issues with regards to music tunes.

I wonder if you can loop sound effects tho. You know, for if you want to make your own engine noises with your mouth (BRUM! BRUM!) :lol

netguy503

TTP said:
I bet you'll be allowed to record just a few seconds of sound.

You could still copy a few seconds of a popular artist's song then- what's to stop you? I bet SONY will get in trouble for that feature. I can only see badness in it's future. It would be cool to have voiced sequence and I'm SURE the majority of the community will play by the rules but there ARE going to be people that abuse that feature and try to make trouble.

It's like when they took voice chat from HOME all over again. :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
You could still copy a few seconds of a popular artist's song then- what's to stop you?

Is that legally prohibited? I mean, you can listen to song previews on iTunes without buying them. 30secs IIRC.

netguy503

TTP said:
Of course. Didn't mean to sound "pessimistic", but rather realistic about the whole thing. Posing a limit (say, 5 secs) would cover the sound effect/voice over needs while avoiding legal issues with regards to music tunes.

You think it will be limited to 5 secs? What kind of scene would that be like? I can't even utter half a sentence in 5secs (if even a few words). If they go that route, they should just keep their "bleeps" and "bloops" and grunting noises.:lol

netguy503 said:
You could still copy a few seconds of a popular artist's song then- what's to stop you? I bet SONY will get in trouble for that feature. I can only see badness in it's future. It would be cool to have voiced sequence and I'm SURE the majority of the community will play by the rules but there ARE going to be people that abuse that feature and try to make trouble.

That's going to be a given. I'm pretty sure pron levels are gonna pop up sooner or later with voice overs for full effect. :lol

Personally, I just want to record the ever classic Newtype flash sound from Gundam. :D

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this.

netguy503

TTP said:
Is that legally prohibited? I mean, you can listen to song previews on iTunes without buying them.

That's not my call, it's the individual artist that owns that property and everyone has their own rules.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
netguy503 said:
You think it will be limited to 5 secs? What kind of scene would that be like? I can't even utter half a sentence in 5secs (if even a few words). If they go that route, they should just keep their "bleeps" and "bloops" and grunting noises.:lol

It was just an example come on :lol

I just think it will be limited. No idea how much.

Teknoman

netguy503 said:

Couldnt they just pull a youtube? If someone requests the level be taken down, do it. If not, leave it alone.

Top Bottom