• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oni Jazar said:
Geez as if the first game wasn't complicated enough. Still love the original though just from playing other people's creations.
That's the thing. For people who find interface and approach to the creation in the first game already complicated, it's fair to say they'd never make a good level with a simpler interface either. That's why this approach makes sense to me. Just let the best, more capable people create levels, scare the others away a bit, more quality stuff to be had without weeding out the crap.

spats

Sounds crazy. Never got into the LBP level creator but played loads of great community levels. Very excited about this.

I might shed a tear when the beta starts, as I did with the first game. I just hope the magic lasts longer. It certainly sounds promising.

E3 Will be so epic. I'm glad it's just not LBP1 with more tools! Day fucking 1! :D and i want to be in the beta. :lol. SIGN ME UP!

Cant wait LBP1 feel like a beta next to this cant wait to get my hands on it <_<. looks like Mm really been watches what the LBP community been doing its like a wish list to most of us.

My expectations have been blown away. I wanted some options to tweak the controls/physics of Sackboy. And there's talking about shooter and RPG editors :lol

Crisis

Banned
Whoa. Two threads at once. Let me get the questions in this thread together and answer them really quickly. I have to run a few errands but I'll answer more later...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lord Error said:
That's the thing. For people who find interface and approach to the creation in the first game already complicated, it's fair to say they'd never make a good level with a simpler interface either. That's why this approach makes sense to me. Just let the best, more capable people create levels, scare the others away a bit, more quality stuff to be had without weeding out the crap.

I think they have to strike a balance, but this is clearly community led...it's clearly taking cues from what the creator community has done and asked for. And from the sophistication that's developed in that community. If there wasn't the appetite for yet more control, MM wouldn't provide it.

Creators will lap this up and will do amazing things with it. I've been astounded by what they've done with LBP alone, and observing the upward curve of sophistication there, this will just let them go really wild. MM was definitely given license by the community to go broader AND deeper...which seems precisely what they're doing, perhaps more than anyone thought...

CozMick

Banned
Oh god Oh god Oh god!

Sackboy is back baby yeah!!!
Well, he didn't actually leave

If this is released this year and GT5 gets delayed then I simply won't care :D

<3 MM

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If Crisis is listening for when he gets a chance, could you elaborate at all on the circuitboard, microchip stuff? The interface for that? What commands are? If there's an example in screenshots that might explain it it'd be great if it could be described.

The interfaces for simplifying what you were doing in LBP were really great for the most part, so I'm hoping they have some neat and clever stuff here too.

Elios83

I knew they wouldn't make a sequel if it was just a mere update.
Sounds great, if it truly allows to create whole games in different genres and to fully remake old glories.
First trailer will be really interesting. Sucks for me that I'm not really into the ''create'' genre though :D :lol

Crisis

Banned
gofreak said:
Is there any more detail on the whole circuit board/microchip thing? It sounds like a new/better way to 'program' logic, to create your own custom switches perhaps? Is there detail on the interface for that?

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The article goes into a bit of detail regarding the famous calculator level from the first LBP that Upsilandre created. He had tons and tons of wires and switches in the background working to make that happen. Media Molecule didn't want players to have to take up all that space just to make that happen. So in LBP2 you can create microchips that handle all of that logic stuff. You can condense all of it and the commands and function onto one chip and have it take up drastically less space in the level.

Additionally you can use the microchips to program enemies and such as well. You can control their properties, weak points, animations, whatever. They can all also be condensed onto a microchip.

gofreak said:
Commands? Microchips?

The interface for animations and some properties of Sackbots is shown. It's clearly not all there is to do with the Sackbots but it looks a lot like the first game's menus in that respect. However once you have programmed that aspect and other aspects, you can condense it onto a little circuit board with microchips like I was mentioning in that particular post. They blow up considerably so you can see what aspects have been copied onto a particular Sackbot or whatever. This is very hard to explain in words but once you see it I think it will make more sense.

To Far Away Times said:
You can fix the floaty jump physics? Megaton incoming.

From the article, Media Molecule implies that the floaty controls are "signature gameplay" of LBP1, but they know that a lot of fans didn't like the way they worked with their levels. So you can customize the control scheme of a user-created protagonist within a level. It doesn't mention anything specifically about the physics but it does allude to it heavily for the user-created protagonists.

Saty said:
Is it going to use Move? It should be no-brainer.

Nothing about Move in this article. However I sincerely believe that this game is being built for it. The grappling hook screenshot is a dead giveaway to me.

Chris_C

As I stated in the other thread:

What would be pretty neat would be if creators were able to export their creations to the PSN as executable PSN "Minis" that worked without the need for the LBP game disc itself (as opposed to just that akward to navigate planet setup in LBP1.

I know Sony is unlikely to go for something like that, but I think it'd help the popularity of the franchise if a wider audience could see what was possible with the game.

mr_nothin

Banned
thuway said:
Fuck, this is sounding like a dream. The first game's floaty mechanics really turned me off, but just a word of warning to Media Molecule:

Please make this game accessible to as many people as possible. The first game had portions, where even I, a hardcore enough gamer to post this, became frustrated and threw my controller down. Please make sure its gratifying and rewarding to jump around and PLAY.

I am so glad Sony actually gets it. 4 Player Co-op, robust tools, fixed platforming, and a revamped everything.

NOW:

GG, Sucker Punch, NAUGHTY DOG, and Insomniac, it would be nice if you included split screen co-op as well :D.
YOu're no hardcore gamer. I never got frustrated with LBP and the later levels were the ONLY levels that gave me any sort of challenge. It felt like the last few levels in LBP were the middle of the game. I wish LBP was doubled in length and the difficulty ramped up alot more in it's last levels.

Elios83

jump_button said:
I have to ask myself but why was this not saved for E3?

Of course it's because they have so many megatons in store that they could afford to share this little thing before the show :lol :lol

I never understood the complains about floaty controls...

You know what game also has floaty controls?

marioss.jpg

yeah...

Just sounds like a silly complaint to me

wizword

Banned
- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.

This is the thing that is just pure genius. The fact that you could alter your character movement, attacks, etc.

Metalmurphy said:

marioss.jpg

yeah...

To be fair, LBP is more floating than Mario.

Still, that's easy to get use to.

The 3 plane mechanic, however, is pure shit.
Ruined my time with the game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Melfice7 said:
sounds a bit too amazing -.-
Yeah...Sounds way too good to be true and after playing through the first LBP I can't help but feel we're heading straight into "over promise under deliver" territory.

However if MM delivers the goods this'll be amazing.

jmd494

Content organization was the first game's biggest problem imo.

Levels should be able to be sorted by best rating, most plays, or most favorited by day/week/month/all time. As you start favorting levels, it should start recommending new levels to you.

And all of this should be available from your PS3 and PC (lbp.me...fingers crossed)

Not sure if any of this ever made it into lbp but it wasn't there effectively at launch.

mr_nothin

Banned
jump_button said:
I have to ask myself but why was this not saved for E3?
Because that leaked list was true ;)
KZ3/inFAMOUS 2/GT5!
:lol

But seriously, they already have a lot of AAA games on their plate to announce. At least that's what Im hoping

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Crisis said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The article goes into a bit of detail regarding the famous calculator level from the first LBP that Upsilandre created. He had tons and tons of wires and switches in the background working to make that happen. Media Molecule didn't want players to have to take up all that space just to make that happen. So in LBP2 you can create microchips that handle all of that logic stuff. You can condense all of it and the commands and function onto one chip and have it take up drastically less space in the level.

Additionally you can use the microchips to program enemies and such as well. You can control their properties, weak points, animations, whatever. They can all also be condensed onto a microchip.

Foook. Thanks. Sounds awesome.

It sounds like they're adding a bunch of new logic tools (relating to various things, properties, animation etc.) not present in the first, while also giving tools that should make it all a lot more efficient.

The microchip thing sounds like a compiler of sorts that squashes down your logic for something into an optimised, smaller object.

Perfect for making sharing easier - how many people would be able to work out how to take and use Upsilandre's calculator? - and for minimizing thermometer use.

I'll be very curious to see the general interface for microchip use...how you know what a microchip does, and how to connect it to other things etc. Maybe there's a standardised way of describing its relationship with the outside world so to speak.

Majine

Banned
The three plane system needs some streamlining. Even if it requires modification of the levels from the first game, it would be totally worth it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jive Turkey said:
Yeah...Sounds way too good to be true and after playing through the first LBP I can't help but feel we're heading straight into "over promise under deliver" territory.

However if MM delivers the goods this'll be amazing.

The original overdelivered IMO on the fronts we're talking about here. Virtually every 'can I do this?' question people had about the game prior to release came back with an answer of 'yes' in the final game. For a long time prior to release we didn't even know enemies would be possible, for example - we debated months on that :lol In terms of creative opportunities and toolset, the final game absolutely OVER delivered if anything on expectations.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Foook. Thanks. Sounds awesome.

It sounds like they're adding a bunch of new logic tools (relating to various things, properties, animation etc.) not present in the first, while also giving tools that should make it all a lot more efficient.

The microchip thing sounds like a compiler of sorts that squashes down your logic for something into an optimised, smaller object.

Perfect for making sharing easier - how many people would be able to work out how to take and use Upsilandre's calculator? - and for minimizing thermometer use.

I'll be very curious to see the general interface for microchip use...how you know what a microchip does, and how to connect it to other things etc. Maybe there's a standardised way of describing its relationship with the outside world so to speak.

Perhaps you'll be able to blow it up open to see the original "code", fix/modify stuff, and then re-compile it into a microchip.

Oh my fucking god this is so amazing.

mr_nothin

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

marioss.jpg

yeah...

I think it's the fact that SackBoy had momentum. It's the post-jumping that was probably a problem for ppl. The fact that he kept running/walking after you jumped. Mario stopped on a dime after his jump...SackBoy did not.

Chris_C

Crisis said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The article goes into a bit of detail regarding the famous calculator level from the first LBP that Upsilandre created. He had tons and tons of wires and switches in the background working to make that happen.Media Molecule didn't want players to have to take up all that space just to make that happen . So in LBP2 you can create microchips that handle all of that logic stuff. You can condense all of it and the commands and function onto one chip and have it take up drastically less space in the level.

Upsilandre will just create a Large Hadron Collider, escalation is never a good thing.

mr_nothin

Banned
gofreak said:
The original overdelivered IMO on the fronts we're talking about here. Virtually every 'can I do this?' question people had about the game prior to release came back with an answer of 'yes' in the final game. For a long time prior to release we didn't even know enemies would be possible, for example - we debated months on that :lol In terms of creative opportunities and toolset, the final game absolutely OVER delivered if anything on expectations.
Yea, the only thing they under-delivered on was the community/online aspects. They fixed some of it in a patch though but everything they presented about the creation tools has been surpassed.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Posted this in the other thread.
Question directed to donkey show

TTP said:
I was thinking lately about how Mm could have compensated the floaty jump issue without fiddling with the jump itself at all. The solution: add double jump as well as the ability to automatically grab on ledges and jump over them. These should mitigate the whole floaty jump-induced frustration...

Any info you can give us about that?

Top Bottom