• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
The original overdelivered IMO on the fronts we're talking about here. Virtually every 'can I do this?' question people had about the game prior to release came back with an answer of 'yes' in the final game. For a long time prior to release we didn't even know enemies would be possible, for example - we debated months on that :lol In terms of creative opportunities and toolset, the final game absolutely OVER delivered if anything on expectations.
In terms of toolset yes they did an outstanding job. And visuals and audio...It's just the controls and platforming sucked. MM delivered on every point except the two that counted the most.

Now I'm encouraged by the ability to customize the controls but until I actually have a chance to play with it myself I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MiamiWesker said:
OMFGOMFG!!!

SDICBILWBEIGEUOWVULVWEK!

I am having a brain meltdown trying to think of what can be done with this game!!

It Only Does Everything.

wizword

Banned
TTP said:
Posted this in the other thread.
Question directed to donkey show
It is stated I think in the game informer article
"- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
"
This does sound way too good to be true though.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Reading all this, it sounds all too good. It's hard to take in. Can't wait till I see the first proper reveal (E3 I guess?).

Wow...

Danielsan

Again, someone should question them about the netcode.
LBP is virtually unplayable with 4 people online due to all the lag.

mr_nothin

Banned
wizword said:
"- Example was given about the 8/16-bit remakes/tributes having to use the signature gameplay mechanics of LBP. That is no longer true in LBP2. A creator can place a direct control seat on their own platforming protagonist and complete it with a customized control scheme.
"
That probably just for creators though. I dont think you can just customize the way you want to jump if you're just playing someone's (or MM's) levels.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
wizword said:
"

Yeah, but I was referring to the very Sackboy character, not a "platforming protagonist" you have created.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Danielsan said:

I answered this in the other thread.

TTP said:
OH, for what is worth, I have been told Mm is coding the whole online netcode internally this time (rather than having Sony monkeys do it). It's good news.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jive Turkey said:
In terms of toolset yes they did an outstanding job. And visuals and audio...It's just the controls and platforming sucked. MM delivered on every point except the two that counted the most.

I don't agree those things sucked, but that's more a matter of individual opinion, so we'll agree to disagree on that :p On toolset though...I do think they overdelivered. And creative tools are the focus of this preview seemingly, so I would be confident that WYSIWYG (and then some, in all likelihood) on these fronts.

(I'll make two corrections to my post though - there were two tools that MM originally mooted that never made it, audio import, and image import. But on everything else, it went beyond my imagination. The breadth of logic tools, switch types etc. in particular, I'd no idea how much they packed in there and the versatility of it til the game hit, and I was very well tuned in indeed. It was a big eye opener.)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:
I thought Sackboy was the "platforming protragonist".

I don't think so. He said "their own platforming protagonis", meaning the one they (creators) have created.

Baki

If DLC is transferrable than does that mean creation tools such as paintinator + water won't be standard?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mr_nothin said:
That probably just for creators though. I dont think you can just customize the way you want to jump if you're just playing someone's (or MM's) levels.

Makes no sense otherwise.

I think it's clear you as a creator use 'direct seat' to make a controllable character for your players to control while playing your level.

Danielsan said:

1) No, I played w/ 4 people about a week ago and the only laggyness I saw was @ the start of the level.

1 was me in Buffalo, NY
2 were in NYC
1 was random.

2) MM is writing the netcode this time, not Sony.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Makes no sense otherwise.

I think it's clear you as a creator use 'direct seat' to make a controllable character for your players to control while playing your level.

Yep, and since you can modify Sackboy size this time, you can make him tiny, have him sit into into a Gundam the default size of a Sackboy and then BE TEH GUNDAM.

Donos

Crisis said:
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The article goes into a bit of detail regarding the famous calculator level from the first LBP that Upsilandre created. He had tons and tons of wires and switches in the background working to make that happen. Media Molecule didn't want players to have to take up all that space just to make that happen. So in LBP2 you can create microchips that handle all of that logic stuff. You can condense all of it and the commands and function onto one chip and have it take up drastically less space in the level.

Additionally you can use the microchips to program enemies and such as well. You can control their properties, weak points, animations, whatever. They can all also be condensed onto a microchip.

Oh shit , SKYNET !

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thing the game desperately needs for platform creation is the ability to globally define if a level has 1, 2, or 3 planes right from the beginning.

Also, I desperately hope they find a way to fix the glue-binding logic which results in chaotic destruction of seemingly unaffected elements during construction. I only ever finished one stage ( "Sometimes the Dragon Eats You") before giving up, though I did try to polish that one as best I could for posterity.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ok, as much as the first game sucked, this one seems promising. I want to see this new Create mode in action.

TTP said:
Yeah, but I was referring to the very Sackboy character, not a "platforming protagonist" you have created.

I think I answered it in the other thread...

donkey show said:
mr_nothin said:
So what I said about Mm having to basically hold back stuff from LBP1 because they had to use it for LBP2 was pretty much what was going on?
Haha, pretty much. They've been working on the sequel for a long time now, outside of all the "updates" they gave to the public.

The core gameplay is still pretty intact from what I remember, so don't expect any significant changes there.

As for the 3 layer thing in creation, I believe that still applies unless they've modified it recently.

I'll let you guys know more when I can. Excititng times, eh? :D

And like I said earlier in that thread as well, the Organic and Fluffy Space Bunny themes are very, very beautiful. The art team really outdid themselves.

mr_nothin

Banned
TTP said:
I don't think so. He said "their own platforming protagonis", meaning the one they (creators) have created.
Ok, well I think we mean the same thing but there's just a disconnect. Basically when they say "their own platforming protagonist" they mean the custom parameters that creators give to Sackboy in user-created levels. It's still Sackboy but it's a customized Sackboy...in which case, it's not REALLY Sackboy ;)

But when you say "Sackboy" you mean in the sense like you're playing the story-mode of the game. You're playing as what Mm defines as Sackboy. Correct?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:
I think I answered it in the other thread...

And like I said earlier in that thread as well, the Organic and Fluffy Space Bunny themes are very, very beautiful. The art team really outdid themselves.

Oh so no tweaks at all to the jumping mechanics? Sounds odd after all the complains.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:
Ok, well I think we mean the same thing but there's just a disconnect. Basically when they say "their own platforming protagonist" they mean the custom parameters that creators give to Sackboy in user-created levels. It's still Sackboy but it's a customized Sackboy...in which case, it's not REALLY Sackboy ;)

But when you say "Sackboy" you mean in the sense like you're playing the story-mode of the game. You're playing as what Mm defines as Sackboy. Correct?

Yes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Crisis - are all the screenshots of 'platform-y' levels? None of other types, or or experiments MM did?

I have to think the first batch of levels being platform-y is rather deliberate...but that over time, you'll see the 'campaign' mutate into something more mixed, cross-genre. The first game's single player was an attempt to express and show off the underlying tools, so the second's should do the same, and should flex the diversity that's possible with the tools.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lagspike_exe said:
Yeah, but you can mod them when you make a new level, right?

Yeah, but you have to create a new character altogether for the standard Sackboy to sit into/onto if I got it right.

Think of Yoshi/Mario interaction.

- Mario is the Sackboy (defaul properties/controls).
- Yoshi is the character you created (custom properties/controls).

When Mario rides Yoshi, there is when you are using the custom properties/controls.

Jump off the "Yoshi", and you are back to controlling Sackboy old style.

Did I get this right?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm....I wonder with the 3 layers...if you make your sackbot and AIs to adopt 'top-down' behaviour....could you kind of use the 3 layers as a way of going down 'underground' and then up overground again etc.?

Like, say...a RPG where you could go down into caves from the top level, then back out into the 'top level' overworld etc. You could treat the levels as going 'down', not 'in'.

That could be so good.

But I wonder about the scope for - say - a rpg type mechanic. I wonder, for example, what kind of properties you can give your sackbot protagonist. Health seems obvious, but what about an inventory for example? Although I suppose your pop-it is basically a glorified inventory...

edit - thinking about it, for the layers idea, you'd need a way of 'hiding' layers except the active one to make this work, perhaps...so if say you move down to a lower level, the layer above disappears, and you just see the next layer down. Current LBP doesn't really allow for that. Although you could do something more rudimentary without that, I guess, have selective use of depth where it's not so crucial that layers on top are still visible.

mr_nothin

Banned
It seems like there is going to be the same ole "it has enemies! look at this screenshot! look at those customizations. that leads me to believe there will be enemies" vs "there wont be enemies in the game because they've given us no reason to believe there will be. we're just going to have to face different obstacles" debate.

Apath

I really hope they fixed the Z axis movement or removed it entirely. That and I hope they made the jumping physics much more like LBP PSP.

Sounds great otherwise :D

Pooya

I wanted to get the first one recently, good thing I didn't, it's coming this year? didn't see anything in the OP about release date.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It'll be very interesting to see the relationship between logic and sackbot properties.

Can I make a microchip that - say - calculates or increments my sackbot's 'level' based on whatever events/incidents. That then triggers new properties or capabilities in my sackbot as my level counter increments?

The possible permutations of that new system if I'm thinking about it right could have epic consequences.

jiggles

Banned
:O

This all sounds awesome. Exactly the game the first should've been. No more building logic gates and dicking around with complicated machinery for non-platformer games. And awesome to see Sackbook make a return as LBP.me :D

BUT...

I fear they're going to be fixing one problem while creating another in places. Anyone who wants to "fix" the controls for Sackboy has to do so by making a new controllable character from scratch and assigning the controls to him. Which is just like how you do logic in it now. It seems a little contradictory to remove this kind of hassle for commonly used mechanics while introducing it for another aspect of the game.

Also, what the fuck could Sony possibly have at E3 that eclipses both a new God of War and a new LittleBigPlanet?!

Majine

Banned
miladesn said:
I wanted to get the first one recently, good thing I didn't, it's coming this year? didn't see anything in the OP about release date.
Apparently they have been working on this for awhile, so...

My bet is holiday.

TTP said:
Yep, and since you can modify Sackboy size this time, you can make him tiny, have him sit into into a Gundam the default size of a Sackboy and then BE TEH GUNDAM.
I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT!!!

lbpzakuassault01.jpg

lbpzakusurvival02.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Seriously though, direct control is perfect for creators like myself who need shit like this for their mechanisms.

TTP said:
I answered this in the other thread.

To confirm that even more, Mm's been hiring a network programmers over the past 6 months. In fact, they're still hiring... if anyone's interested. :D

Alastor

RPG's with Sackboys and Sackgirls? Count me in! I haven't played the first one in ages (only SP for me) but it has the magic, feeling of something special and unique. Hope this remains in the sequel.

Also, what Sony will show at E3...
The Last Guardian info & gameplay blowout will do for me

I just hope they don't include trophies for publishing levels or allow you to earn trophies in user created levels. I don't want a repeat of LBP with all the idiotic trophy levels. That, paired with the horrible level list interface made finding levels a chore.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
Can I make a microchip that - say - calculates or increments my sackbot's 'level' based on whatever events/incidents.

This you can already do in LBP. Not with microchips of course, but you can have logic keeping track of some events.

gofreak said:
]That then triggers new properties or capabilities in my sackbot as my level counter increments?

This you can't do now, but I assume in LBP2 you can trigger that stuff on the custom made character (like activating a laser cannon on a Gundam once you have collected X amount of whatever).

Top Bottom