• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

AndyD

aka andydumi
Good info.

I am happy about the DLC transfer, their recognition that LBP was used to create more than just platformers and also their desire to simplify many things by adding chips, brains, and so forth.

However, I think some of that stuff could have definitely come in LPB 1 by now. I think they moved onto LBP 2 dev a long time ago and we have been getting just about decorations and costumes only.

One thing I did not hear mentioned is real water and fluid dynamics and physics. It would make a huge difference.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:
I'VE ALREADY DONE THAT!!!

lbpzakuassault01.jpg

lbpzakusurvival02.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

Your work was indeed the inspiration for my example. ;)

jump_button said:
I have to ask myself but why was this not saved for E3?

That's a damn good question. LBP2 info and GOW: GoS reveal way before E3, maybe Sony has some big damn things to announce at E3 (PSP2, GT5 blowout, Killzone 3D, etc) or E3 will be all about Move.

Anyways how the hell can someone create an RPG? The levels on LBP are not huge by any stretch of the imagination and even if someone took the time to create 10 nice and complex RPG levels it would still leave something to be desired.

TTP said:
Your work was indeed the inspiration for my example. ;)
Well then... thank you. :D :D :D

This you can't do now, but I assume in LBP2 you can trigger that stuff on the custom made character (like activating a laser cannon on a Gundam once you have collected X amount of whatever).

Technically you can do that (which I have done on my Gundam level), but it takes a ton of logic to do so, which of course eats up at the thermo. I do believe the microchip does calculate that stuff from what I remember. When I head to E3, I'll make sure to test completely this time. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
donkey show said:

Technically you can do that (which I have done on my Gundam level), but it takes a ton of logic to do so, which of course eats up at the thermo. I do believe the microchip does calculate that stuff from what I remember. When I head to E3, I'll make sure to test completely this time. :D
:O
Thx for the confirmation ;)

You're going to be like Mm's unofficial community manager.

Majine

Banned
I don't know this shit, but when can we expect to see the full article, with pictures and whatnot? When is the magazine out?

ZoddGutts

Wonder how the user creater controls will work. Like if you play in a level of another creator will you play in the jumping physics/speed that the user had created or use your own jumping physics/speed that you had created? Maybe they'll have it by letting person who created the level either allowing or not allowing other players to play with their to use their own created controls.

jett

D-Member
Sounds like a hugely ambitious "game". I'm still on the fence though as I'm one of those that didn't really like the controls in LBP1, and I don't see myself messing around much with the creator stuff. :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
donkey show said:

Oh yes indeed. But what I meant to say is that you can now have a simple IF-THEN logic (a microchip) addressing all of that.

Also, I was thinking, this microchip idea should help a lot visual clarity while creating. My never released, fully functional and auto balancing "Sackmarine" had like 100 cables attached to it and it was a mess to work on that believe me. I couldn't see shit :lol

OK, so they say Yoshi's flutter jump is possible.

How about giving Sackboy a Sonic roll? And making his jump/roll deadly to Sackbots?

If so, we're certain to have a "make the real Sonic 4" contest.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AranhaHunter said:
Anyways how the hell can someone create an RPG? The levels on LBP are not huge by any stretch of the imagination and even if someone took the time to create 10 nice and complex RPG levels it would still leave something to be desired.

Unless they increased the thermometer or made the levels stream from one to the next without loading, or direct loading from one to the next masked elegantly (think elevator/boat/plane/portal).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AndyD said:
Unless they increased the thermometer or made the levels stream from one to the next without loading, or direct loading from one to the next masked elegantly (think elevator/boat/plane/portal).

Crisis said:
- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.

mr_nothin

Banned
Hopefully we can create our own mechanics. Like a run button. Since we can control the actual commands...hopefully we'll be able to customize them.

Like: Square -> Speed +200%

that would be amazing

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
ZoddGutts said:
Wonder how the user creater controls will work. Like if you play in a level of another creator will you play in the jumping physics/speed that the user had created or use your own jumping physics/speed that you had created?

The former, I think.

I would guess direct seat puts you automatically in control of whatever the direct seat is attached to. When you come to it.

AranhaHunter said:

The amount of space you have is pretty big...and perhaps bigger in #2. But you're right there's a sheer effort thing here, in crafting what would be comparable to a full rpg game. So I would imagine people would make segments, or short-form experiences with rpg mechanics. I think the suggestion is that the mechanics are possible now (to one degree or another anyway)...to what scale you realise that, well...that'll be up to users. Some might invest a lot and create big multi-level 'games'. The option would be there if the will is, I guess.

edit - we sure 'levels flowing from one to the next' isn't just a slightly more formal sequencing of levels, or 'connection' from one to the next? I doubt you can stitch them together as if they're one level.

HOWEVER, I remember before they talked about - for example - having a door that if you went through could take you to another level. So these kinds of 'pipes' might be what they have in mind...which would be perfect for an rpg type thing, or any other such game where you basically want to link multiple 'screens', without needing them to necessarily be stitched together without loading in between.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
mr_nothin said:
Hopefully we can create our own mechanics. Like a run button. Since we can control the actual commands...hopefully we'll be able to customize them.

Like: Square -> Speed +200%

that would be amazing

I do wonder tho how the whole animations tools will be like. How do you actually define the frames, link them together and stuff like that. I have no idea.

Jive Turkey said:
Yeah...Sounds way too good to be true and after playing through the first LBP I can't help but feel we're heading straight into "over promise under deliver" territory.

However if MM delivers the goods this'll be amazing.

If they deliver the goods, can we put MM in the same sentence as the other premier developers in the industry like ND, Valve, Bioware, Bungie, etc or would they need a couple more big hit titles before we can put them there?

Stampy

"Magic Mouth from the original LBP is gone"

What could this mean? I hope that a more elaborate option for text inclusion will be available, and not the opposite to limit the creator of inputting any text. :/

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
The former, I think.

I would guess direct seat puts you automatically in control of whatever the direct seat is attached to. When you come to it.

The amount of space you have is pretty big...and perhaps bigger in #2. But you're right there's a sheer effort thing here, in crafting what would be comparable to a full rpg game. So I would imagine people would make segments, or short-form experiences with rpg mechanics. I think the suggestion is that the mechanics are possible now (to one degree or another anyway)...to what scale you realise that, well...that'll be up to users. Some might invest a lot and create big multi-level 'games'. The option would be there if the will is, I guess.

I think GAF's Contra effort could be replicated by more groups with the new mechanics they seem to outline. If someone creates a templates level (with textures, bots, settings) then a group can copy it, add individual sections/levels, then they can be re-strung together into one game.

I can definitely see a Persona style RPG game since its floors mechanics were essentially copies of the same few layouts over and over.

Also we could have a hub world maybe that "exits" to various levels seamlessly and then returns.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Stampy said:

What could this mean? I hope that a more elaborate option for text inclusion will be available, and not the opposite to limit the creator of inputting any text. :/

If they're giving you HUD control, which it sounds like they are, perhaps text can now be shown as part of the HUD instead of in a bubble as in the magic mouth. Triggered to show alongside playback of a voice recording (per the new voice/sound import tools).

I doubt the magic mouth is really gone though...for the sake of backwards compatibility it would make sense for it to be there.

jiggle

really hope the space station can support more items
had more fun decorating mine than making actual levels, but ran out of memory XD

AndyD

aka andydumi
Stampy said:

I imagine it wont be limited to test boxes anymore. As in overlay text anywhere in custom colors/size/shape/font rather than have to use mouths. Should have been there from the beginning I think.

Interesting is the custom sounds though. Increases the file size but also opens the door for interesting things.

i don't see it mentioned but will there be a sound fx or music editor where we can make simple sounds/music loops? seeing as how there's microchips now and all.

wizword

Banned
DMPrince said:
i don't see it mentioned but will there be a sound fx or music editor where we can make simple sounds/music loops? seeing as how there's microchips now and all.
It is mentioned.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jiggle said:
really hope the space station can support more items
had more fun decorating mine than making actual levels, but ran out of memory XD

What they need it custom camera to ease decoration.

Same for sackboys. Zoom in on them and let us customize like Modnation. Including colors and stickers in small precision and detail. Especially since we can increase the size of the characters now.

mr_nothin

Banned
DMPrince said:
Dunno but you can always do that on your own computer and import it into the game. You can now add your own sounds into the game.

mr_nothin said:
Dunno but you can always do that on your own computer and import it into the game. You can now add your own sounds into the game.

wizword said:
It is mentioned.

yeah i just saw. CTRL+F didn't work so well for me :lol.

With that said. how much will be allowed to make? copyright issues and all. are the moderators and such will be stricter or what?

mr_nothin said:
Thx for the confirmation ;)

You're going to be like Mm's unofficial community manager.
Haha, that isn't the first time I've been told that. :lol

Oh yeah, some gameplay vids should be coming out in the next couple of weeks. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
donkey show said:

Oh yeah, some gameplay vids should be coming out in the next couple of weeks. :D

I need to get out of this thread before I explode lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
What they need it custom camera to ease decoration.

Same for sackboys. Zoom in on them and let us customize like Modnation. Including colors and stickers in small precision and detail. Especially since we can increase the size of the characters now.

They did add such a mode for sackboy. Zoomed in with controls for turning him around etc.

Withnail

jump_button said:
I have to ask myself but why was this not saved for E3?

To be fair E3 is probably the worst time to announce a game if you really want to get it noticed and featured in detail in the gaming press. The need to have E3 shows packed with announcements is really only important on gaming forums, most people out there don't care or notice.

donkey show said:

:lol oh that that why ........ they are doing that thing ........... <_<

and I think this will get hype up for it to be show at E3 make the pie chart less boring

AndyD

aka andydumi
gofreak said:
They did add such a mode for sackboy. Zoomed in with controls for turning him around etc.

I know, but they also need item customization and layering. Pipette, color groups, fill tools. Make it more powerful in general.

makes it easier to make a music video now. hell yeah! :lol.

All i ask. fix the fucking netcode! i don't care for Online Create mode. just give me smooth online play!

RPG's.... RPG's ...... RPG's ...

looks like FF7 HD remake will finally get made, one way or the other. who knows maybe this is the reason we never got to see the sephiroth sackboy costume they showed many moons ago.

jiggle

since they probably won't let us use existing photos/pictures from HDD again
i hope there's some sort of paint program

and on a related note, i hope we can take screen shots
so stupid that in a game about sharing, and u have to use offcamera photo to show ppl what your level look like...

Stampy

"- Creators can make full-on cutscenes. Camera angles and voice-overs included. Creators can even make little five-minute short films. These levels are clearly marked on the stage select screen so you can tell whether you're watching or playing the level."

I can already see one way to use this with the seamless level transition. For example, you finish a level, and then, you get, for example, a 2 minute cut scene...and then next level... and so on and so on...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:

Would make perfect sense with Move. I'm slightly surprised it wasn't a part of the initial reveal...Move's role, I mean. I can't but think move's a wet dream for MM.

jiggle said:
so stupid that in a game about sharing, and u have to use offcamera photo to show ppl what your level look like...

Yeah, fix that shit MM. There is a capture function, but it's really...bad. Low res, and lots of effects missing etc. A terrible shame given that something can look so beautiful in-game, then look like ass when you try to show other people with a capture.

Youtube recording would be nice too but maybe I'm getting greedy... ;)

AndyD

aka andydumi
DMPrince said:
makes it easier to make a music video now. hell yeah! :lol.

All i ask. fix the fucking netcode! i don't care for Online Create mode. just give me smooth online play!

Part of the issue was that its hosted by players, so a sucky host is a sucky host.

You can take screens now, but the website where they went is gone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
AndyD said:
You can take screens now, but the website where they went is gone.

Sounds like they intend on finally fixing the website business too.

And the linkability stuff sounds great. Way overdue, but they seem to be going beyond the linking they first talked about. 2D barcodes you can scan in with Eye to load a level? Great for promoting levels, via magazines etc. etc. Linking straight to a level from the real world :)

Top Bottom