• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

kevm3

Hopefully they have an inventory/power-up system. Given what they said about the rpg elements, I can see that as possible. That would greatly expand the game... Also expanding the ways enemies are created to make them more organic should be a lot more interesting... hopefully that sackbot feature is extremely robust. I'll get this day 1.

Something I just thought about today that I thought would be a good addition for the sequel. Text input for text in the game. It was very annoying to try to spell anything in the game, because you had to rely on letter stickers to spell what you needed to spell. So, I think it would be cooler to have text input where you input text, and that text is turned into a sticker that you can place anywhere and make bigger or smaller.

Ranger X

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. That's what I call features.

If the game now promotes people stuff properly and let our product find their audience with well done and precise "level info", this game could be GIGANTIC.

... and my life will end. I will lose my job, my girlfriend, stop eating and will die in my shit and piss. Or when my PS3 blows up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lagspike_exe said:
All right, thanks to Crisis, we've got the following MINDBLOWING info:

Also,

- There is an all-new level creator and it is not just a tool to create platform games.
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs

I'll believe that when I see it. But honestly, given the current engine for LBP1, I can't see an RPG system working.

Frankly, how the hell are you supposed to build an RPG in a level-by-level gameplay environment like LBP? Doesn't make sense.

However, if this RPG system + huge sandbox/levels = Metroidvania remakes/homages, I'll be day one on LBP2.

Edit: And one thing I want them to change going from LBP1 to 2 is the water system they added. Real water is a godsend to LBP1, however it having to be used as switch and filling the WHOLE level with a certain water level sucks.

I really want the ability to use water as a background/art style (real water in fishtanks/et. al.) and not have the level fill up if the engine physics allow it. That would be 20x better than trying to "simulate water" along with the real water solution that LBP1 levels have right now.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
I'll believe that when I see it. But honestly, given the current engine for LBP1, I can't see an RPG system working.

Frankly, how the hell are you supposed to build an RPG in a level-by-level gameplay environment like LBP? Doesn't make sense.

However, if this RPG system + huge sandbox/levels = Metroidvania remakes/homages, I'll be day one on LBP2.

Yes this is indeed a comment to take lightly. Shall I remind us that LBP1 was also marketed at something made for doing many types of games when you clearly see it only shines at platformers...
Also, making all kind of games for real would cause the creation mode to be so complex most people wouldn't really bother.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It sounds like they're perfecting and expanding on everything. I loved the first LBP so this will easily be the best game ever.
Looking over that list I can find a single thing to whine about. I just hope that they don't tweak the standard Sackboy controls too much. It cracks me up when people call them "broken", do you even know what broken means or do you just use that term for anything you don't like? The weighted and momentum based movement and jumping was a design decision and a lot of people enjoyed it, myself included.

Hype.

Any one that say LBP cant do RPG go and play Tales of a LittleBig Fantasy: chapher 1 by thi766give you a taste what players can do now

they one one that did it really well ill have to find the name but

TheSeks

jump_button said:
Any one that say LBP cant do RPG go and play lblff – Final Fantasy VI: The Blackjack’s Shining Battle by Henshin1 give you a taste what players can do now

if you are too lazy to go play HERE

I'm not saying LBP can't do RPG. I'm sure it can. Hell, people built a functional calculator BACK IN THE BETA/demo-phase for it. So it's a "you dream it, you can probably do it" engine.

HOWEVER: LBP does not lend itself to a "huge adventure" genre. Level-by-level (having to go into an overhub/the search engine like LBP1) is jarring and not really an "RPG." Plus how would you do levels/stats across games for however many players are playing those type of levels?

I can see it happen in the engine, but I can't see it being practical to do/support.

Yoboman

TheSeks said:
I'm not saying LBP can't do RPG. I'm sure it can. Hell, people built a functional calculator BACK IN THE BETA/demo-phase for it. So it's a "you dream it, you can probably do it" engine.

HOWEVER: LBP does not lend itself to a "huge adventure" genre. Level-by-level (having to go into an overhub/the search engine like LBP1) is jarring and not really an "RPG." Plus how would you do levels/stats across games for however many players are playing those type of levels?

I can see it happen in the engine, but I can't see it being practical to do/support.
You're assuming a lot based on the structure of the first game. Plus it says in the very first post you can string levels together now.

Ranger X

jump_button said:
Any one that say LBP cant do RPG go and play lblff – Final Fantasy VI: The Blackjack’s Shining Battle by Henshin1 give you a taste what players can do now

if you are too lazy to go play HERE

I'm sorry Jump_Button. Where is the RPG game in that video? This could be called a shooter. The game clearly isn't made for making RPGs really. Pretty much the same thing as with racing games. It's not because you can make a vehicules that goes from A to B and that sackboys are "driving" them that it's a racing game really. LBP isn't made for doing much anything else that platformers. It's just that you can stretch the styles into somewhat other genres.

kevm3

I hope they make the paintinator where you have the option so that gravity doesn't effect the shot. It would make a contra type game much easier, where the bullet never gets pulled down by gravity.

thcsquad

TheSeks said:

- For creators of multiple levels, you will be able to string your stages together so that they flow from one level to the next.

You might have a point about levels / stats, though.

MrPliskin

Banned
TheSeks said:

Eh, it's easy enough to string levels together right now as it is using keys and what not.

I really think the biggest part of an RPG is not the stats and leveling, etc. It's the universe, story, and characters. If you remove stats and leveling from an RPG, it's still an RPG.

I think we as gamers tend to put genre's in these small boxes where we expect certain things from those genre's, otherwise they're "poop". It's that conventional thinking that "this genre has to have these boxes checked" that keeps gaming from being "innovative" so to speak.

Sorry for the tangent....

TheSeks

Yoboman said:
You're assuming a lot based on the structure of the first game. Plus it says in the very first post you can string levels together now.

Yeah, but if they're moving LBP1 content over, how will that work without breaking the mechanics that had to be shortcutted/cut cornered to get to work in LBP1?

It's all up in the air and again: I'm not going to hold my breath. If it does happen, cool. It'd be interesting to see RPG/shooters/interconnected levels. LBP1 was ambitious, and the community demanding what they're touting in 2 from 1 was great. So seeing them trying to address that is nice. But: MM is small, they still haven't gotten the FF7 costume pack out (after... two years from announcement?). It just seems too ambitious (to me) to tout RPG support right now going from previous experince.

Ranger X said:
The game clearly isn't made for making RPGs really. Pretty much the same thing as with racing games. It's not because you can make a vehicules that goes from A to B and that sackboys are "driving" them that it's a racing game really. LBP isn't made for doing much anything else that platformers. It's just that you can stretch the styles into somewhat other genres.

Ranger basically coming in to say what I'm trying to say. LBP is first and foremost a platforming engine. The creators didn't intend for players/community to do the things they've done (and I'll admit, the R-type/shooter homage that a Japanese player did was cool/great with the limited engine), and if they fix this stuff in LBP2 that'll be awesome. But as it is: Not going to get excited about these things until I see them at E3/final.

Teknoman

Now i'm like the other guy who wanted LBP2 to be an E3 surprise :lol Was all geared up to finish my latest level soon, but now that I know about LBP2...i'm kinda stuck.

Of course...if every piece of DLC works with LBP2, then wouldnt our old levels also be transferable to LBP2?

Also if we can record our own sounds in LBP2, I wonder if that also carries over to music...

Ranger X

MrPliskin said:
Eh, it's easy enough to string levels together right now as it is using keys and what not.

I really think the biggest part of an RPG is not the stats and leveling, etc. It's the universe, story, and characters. If you remove stats and leveling from an RPG, it's still an RPG.

I think we as gamers tend to put genre's in these small boxes where we expect certain things from those genre's, otherwise they're "poop". It's that conventional thinking that "this genre has to have these boxes checked" that keeps gaming from being "innovative" so to speak.

Sorry for the tangent....

All genres, be in games, movies, book or music, they ALL have those check boxes sorry. A genre is set of attributes on wich classify, regroup similarities.
By your failed logic up there, everything is an RPG basically. Anything that have a "universe", a story and a character.

This all sounds good on paper, so I'm hoping the E3 demo blows me away. Hell I'd prefer if Sony combined their Move presentation and the LBP2 demo together so I wouldn't have to see all the other launch garbage outside of a montage.

Yoboman

TheSeks said:
Yeah, but if they're moving LBP1 content over, how will that work without breaking the mechanics that had to be shortcutted/cut cornered to get to work in LBP1?

It's all up in the air and again: I'm not going to hold my breath. If it does happen, cool. It'd be interesting to see RPG/shooters/interconnected levels. LBP1 was ambitious, and the community demanding what they're touting in 2 from 1 was great. So seeing them trying to address that is nice. But: MM is small, they still haven't gotten the FF7 costume pack out (after... two years from announcement?). It just seems too ambitious (to me) to tout RPG support right now going from previous experince.
LBP had more content and polish than anyone really expect, plus they've been bought out by Sony. Chances are they've expanded somewhat. They also don't have to go through engine building this time.

Doubting their output capability based on a "lack" of post-release LBP content seems kind of silly to me. I can't think of a game better supported.

mr_nothin

Banned
Ranger X said:
Yes this is indeed a comment to take lightly. Shall I remind us that LBP1 was also marketed at something made for doing many types of games when you clearly see it only shines at platformers...
Also, making all kind of games for real would cause the creation mode to be so complex most people wouldn't really bother.

Sarcasm?
In LBP we had/have Tetris, Pinball, SCHMUPS, etc etc. So they over delivered on that front.

Ranger X said:
I'm sorry Jump_Button. Where is the RPG game in that video? This could be called a shooter. The game clearly isn't made for making RPGs really. Pretty much the same thing as with racing games. It's not because you can make a vehicules that goes from A to B and that sackboys are "driving" them that it's a racing game really. LBP isn't made for doing much anything else that platformers. It's just that you can stretch the styles into somewhat other genres.

lol sorry wrong on I really should had looked I was thinking about Tales of a LittleBig Fantasy: chapher 1 by thi766

Teknoman

mr_nothin said:
Sarcasm?
In LBP we had/have Tetris, Pinball, SCHMUPS, etc etc. So they over delivered on that front.

I think he means with actual mechanics that make it easy to create those genre types, not cheating the system, so to speak.

I'm looking forward to possibly being able to create a real beat em up. I guess we'll still see DLC for LBP up until LBP2's release with DLC BC (so many abbreviations).

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
sounds better. sounds more like what i thought the first one would be like.

but i was burned with the first one, and shelved it after a few hours of playing it. The only worthwhile levels to play through (and I played them all) were the story levels. User-created bullshit is a chore to sift through and you can't really find anything good that easily -- mostly because you rely on OTHER PLAYERS (not the game creators) to tell you what's good.

onken

It sounds ridiculously awesome. Though I am tempering my exitement since LBP failed to deliver on quite a few of its initial promises (though it is still one of my favorite games this gen).

Also please fix the issue where the camera follows the failing person in multiplayer!

Seems like the game's creative tools will get an amazing boost in functionality. I just hope the direct control seat and other new features make the actual gameplay more compelling.

mr_nothin

Banned
Gomu Gomu said:
Yeah, but they weren't really enjoyable to play.
Isnt that besides the point?
I'm sure a lot of the "games" that will be created with LBP2 wont be enjoyable. The point is, is that it can be done.

Cesar

Banned
Okay, a bit offtopic, but is there a thread with all the best LBP levels with a youtube link to watch them?

Danielsan

°°ToMmY°° said:
i'm asking it again:

is the game still limited to the 3 layers perspective or is it a fully 3d one now?
Apparently still the 3 layer perspective.
Which makes me wonder how you'd create a command and conquer clone in that perspective.

onken

Danielsan said:
Which makes me wonder how you'd create a command and conquer clone in that perspective.

There's nothing to say you can't switch the perspective to top down, giving you 3 y-axis layers.

Yoboman

Danielsan said:
They said that the single player is the 3 layer perspective, not that the creation tools are limited to that

The whole layers thing was a baffling idea, anyway.

I mean, cool, keep the option there for level creation. Using it in gameplay, and the singleplayer campaign, was just silly.

BeeDog

Ballistictiger said:
As long as they don't make you jump to the other layer accidentally I'm fine with it.

Pretty easy solution to this problem; one of the unused buttons on the pad can be used as a "auto-switch layer" button akin to the LBP1 implementation. If you don't hold the button down, you only stay on the current layer, but if you hold it down, emulate LBP1. Tada! Easiest fix ever.

I'm also baffled why they didn't wait for E3 with this announcement. Dare I hope for some better megatons there?

cakefoo

BeeDog said:
Pretty easy solution to this problem; one of the unused buttons on the pad can be used as a "auto-switch layer" button akin to the LBP1 implementation. If you don't hold the button down, you only stay on the current layer, but if you hold it down, emulate LBP1. Tada! Easiest fix ever.

I'm also baffled why they didn't wait for E3 with this announcement. Dare I hope for some better megatons there?
Hold x to pass through layers ala pixeljunk eden.

Good on Sony for letting MM go so far with this. Seriously - that feature list sounds insane and most other publishers would have reigned them in. Glad they didn't.

Top Bottom