• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 confirmed, Game Informer info, Trailer released

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Linkified said:
Why would it still be 2.5D though surely, depending on the way the game engine handles it it could have a simple switch in the code where if you select a 3D game / or 2.5D it changes the perspective and or the way the plane structure is set up.

It could, but doesn't :)

Probably because freeform 3D cam introduces a lot of complexity.

And probably wrt perspective (being side-on or top-down), it's six of one, half a dozen of the other whether you switch the perspective or switch how everything behaves. I'm guessing though, at least when it comes to this bit. It seems more like a MM thing to do - expanding what's possible without redundancy. Having a perspective-switch tool may be somewhat redundant if you can make something that looks and acts as if it were top-down without that. Afterall, what would change with a top-down tool? You switch it, and what happens? As far as I can see, nothing you can't already do with the new tools described.

fake-edit: a perspective switch could be handy for letting you re-use objects and art between different perspectives, admittedly. But that could be achieved also with a simple 'object rotate' tool, to let you rotate in 3 dimensions, and not just in the 2 you currently can. But whichever way you approach it, from a camera POV or 'object' POV is really much of a muchness.

StuBurns

Banned
3D would not be at all hard if it were done in a certain way, yes, building 'real' 3D levels, like in most games, it'd be incredibly difficult, but building something like Crash Bandicoot levels with a fixed camera would be as easy as it currently is to make LBP levels.

netguy503

Withnail said:
With the full backwards compatibility, alleged release date this year, and apparent change in stance on sequels, I'm starting to suspect that Sony convinced Mm to roll all the updates they had planned and were working on for LBP into a new disc release and label it as a sequel.

Not that this is a bad thing by the way, I'm delighted by this news.

Who said anything about a release date this year? I WISH but keep in mind we probably have a few month long BETA to look forward to and I'm thinking that will be late summer/early fall. No BETA, and this thing will suffer like LBP1 did (and still did even with a BETA). I'm hoping since they announced this now, they may announce that the BETA goes live the night of the E3 conference ( like U2 last year) but this is so new and I don't want them to rush.

Also, I wanted to point out just like I did going into the second year of Qore, this third year of Qore might be amazing if done right and people will probably be kicking themselves if they don't resubscribe. I knew Qore's second year would be bleak going in as I saw no games that could have awesome BETA's being released but this year we have LBP2, R3, etc. Just giving you something to think about when/if you think of resubscribing. Although I don't know what SONY will do at E3 with this possible pricing service.

Also LBP2 BETA will be AWESOME. The BETA for LBP1 created the most amazing levels of the game as we didn't have to worry about copyright back then ( R.I.P AWESOME God of War level where you sacrificed babies into a pit of fire while they screamed in pain!). I can't wait!:D

Wow sounds more like a wishlist, but my what an ambitious plan they have. Practically a whole reboot.

TBH, previous to this post I wasn't really expecting much from LBP2 other than an evolution and probably was leening towards not going to be too interested in the sequel but this is just Wow!

MrPliskin

Banned
netguy503 said:
Who said anything about a release date this year? I WISH but keep in mind we probably have a few month long BETA to look forward to and I'm thinking that will be late summer/early fall. No BETA, and this thing will suffer like LBP1 did (and still did even with a BETA). I'm hoping since they announced this now, they may announce that the BETA goes live the night of the E3 conference ( like U2 last year) but this is so new and I don't want them to rush.

Also, I wanted to point out just like I did going into the second year of Qore, this third year of Qore might be amazing if done right and people will probably be kicking themselves if they don't resubscribe. I knew Qore's second year would be bleak going in as I saw no games that could have awesome BETA's being released but this year we have LBP2, R3, etc. Just giving you something to think about when/if you think of resubscribing. Although I don't know what SONY will do at E3 with this possible pricing service.

Also LBP2 BETA will be AWESOME. The BETA for LBP1 created the most amazing levels of the game as we didn't have to worry about copyright back then ( R.I.P AWESOME God of War level where you sacrificed babies into a pit of fire while they screamed in pain!). I can't wait!:D

I'm sorry, but outside of Netcode, how exactly did LBP1 "fail"?

netguy503

MrPliskin said:
I'm sorry, but outside of Netcode, how exactly did LBP1 "fail"?

Don't read to much into it- jeez- I was just commenting really on that he thought this would be released this year. This thing needs a MASSIVE Beta push with as many on at a time as they can get. And, yes, one of the things they could have tweaked better was the netcode. But It's not major. Again, more responding to the guys thought this could be out this year (I CAN see this as a major Christmas/ holiday title- but that's really it).

LBP was my very first platinum, I've been in every BETA, I LOVE this game. Sheesh.

Ranger X

StuBurns said:
3D would not be at all hard if it were done in a certain way, yes, building 'real' 3D levels, like in most games, it'd be incredibly difficult, but building something like Crash Bandicoot levels with a fixed camera would be as easy as it currently is to make LBP levels.

So basically it wouldn't be free 3D, just like it is now....

MrPliskin

Banned
netguy503 said:
Don't read to much into it- jeez- I was just commenting really on that he thought this would be released this year. This thing needs a MASSIVE Beta push with as many on at a time as they can get. And, yes, one of the things they could have tweaked better was the netcode. But It's not major. Again, more responding to the guys thought this could be out this year (I CAN see this as a major Christmas/ holiday title- but that's really it).

LBP was my very first platinum, I've been in every BETA, I LOVE this game. Sheesh.

I was just curious, since I don't really think there were a lot (any?) issues with any of the creation content or the game itself upon release (or really even during the beta). I mean, essentially everything they needed to work on was netcode for both online multiplayer and online create.

Think about it, it will have been two years pretty soon since the release of LBP. And considering the games will have a great amount of similarity (since LBP2 will be BC with LBP1 content) I find it hard to believe that they'll have to do drastic amounts of beta testing to get it out the door.

They've probably been working on these tool sets for the last 18 months, and honestly trying to release all of this as DLC would have been pricey and kind of outrageous. Publishing a sequel was their best option considering the scope of the changes.

I don't think the game will need a lot of beta testing for a Holiday Release. With their engine and netcode work done, I'd say it's possible. I won't say it will or won't, but I'm saying it's not impossible, and beta testing certainly isn't a reason for any delay at this point. If anything, it's simply not finished and that's it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MrPliskin said:
I don't think the game will need a lot of beta testing for a Holiday Release. With their engine and netcode work done, I'd say it's possible. I won't say it will or won't, but I'm saying it's not impossible, and beta testing certainly isn't a reason for any delay at this point. If anything, it's simply not finished and that's it.

I think it's just what needs to be done, what needs to be finished.

I think some beta testing will be necessary. MM runs smaller betas for smaller bits of functionality before rolling out. Undoubtedly so, a big batch of new stuff for a sequel will undoubtedly require testing, and beta testing with users, to make sure it all works as expected, and for feedback.

Personally I won't believe this game is coming this year until its announced as going gold. Sony might announce a 2010 release, but I think that'll be hopeful on their part, I'd say MM might have a different idea...

Ranger X

MrPliskin said:
I was just curious, since I don't really think there were a lot (any?) issues with any of the creation content or the game itself upon release (or really even during the beta). I mean, essentially everything they needed to work on was netcode for both online multiplayer and online create.

Think about it, it will have been two years pretty soon since the release of LBP. And considering the games will have a great amount of similarity (since LBP2 will be BC with LBP1 content) I find it hard to believe that they'll have to do drastic amounts of beta testing to get it out the door.

They've probably been working on these tool sets for the last 18 months, and honestly trying to release all of this as DLC would have been pricey and kind of outrageous. Publishing a sequel was their best option considering the scope of the changes.

LBP is completely broken on the community side. There simply wouldn't be a "community" if it wasn't for dedicated website putting people together. If there is one thing LBP2 needs to revamp completely it's that.
In LBP there was no communication between MM and people, news section wasn't updated, the way to find levels and people's creation was HORRIBLE and completely broken. The interface didn't help anything either. Seriously, if your stuff could really find its audience with a well done system and interface, Media Molecule wouldn't even make LBP2 because LBP1 would have performed triple times more than it did.

Edit: Also, I must admit that I don't have much faith about them getting the community side of the game right with LBP2. I fear they will focus in ALOT of awesome features (cool in itself) but I fear they will miss that element that could put it all together into a truly solid experience --- the community side of the game.

netguy503

gofreak said:
I think it's just what needs to be done, what needs to be finished.

I think some beta testing will be necessary. MM runs smaller betas for smaller bits of functionality before rolling out. Undoubtedly so, a big batch of new stuff for a sequel will undoubtedly require testing, and beta testing with users, to make sure it all works as expected, and for feedback.

Personally I won't believe this game is coming this year until its announced as going gold. Sony might announce a 2010 release, but I think that'll be hopeful on their part, I'd say MM might have a different idea...

Exactly. I'd rather wait a long time for a quality product then have a rushed product and have people complain, wouldn't you?

Oh, and knowing I'll most likely be in this BETA as I've been in all the previous BETA's+ I'm a Qore Subscriber helps with the wait too. :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
netguy503 said:
Exactly. I'd rather wait a long time for a quality product then have a rushed product and have people complain, wouldn't you?

I wouldn't correlate a 2010 release with a rushed product, necessarily, I'm just going on stuff I've heard, and on the experience with the first game...where they announced a Fall 07 release initially :lol I'd love for it to come this year, but I really have my doubts.

Ranger X said:
Edit: Also, I must admit that I don't have much faith about them getting the community side of the game right with LBP2. I fear they will focus in ALOT of awesome features (cool in itself) but I fear they will miss that element that could put it all together into a truly solid experience --- the community side of the game.

If they get the community stuff mentioned in the GI article done, those would be big steps forward. We'll see though.

Pancho

Qurupancho
OMG SO FUCKING HYPED!!!!

But yes, I hope they fix a lot of things like the whole gluing mechanic while making levels. In particularly big levels I was so afraid of moving anything because the whole stage could just crumble down.

Ranger X said:
That all depends on how good LBP.me is.

MrPliskin

Banned
Ranger X said:
LBP is completely broken on the community side. There simply wouldn't be a "community" if it wasn't for dedicated website putting people together. If there is one thing LBP2 needs to revamp completely it's that.
In LBP there was no communication between MM and people, news section wasn't updated, the way to find levels and people's creation was HORRIBLE and completely broken. The interface didn't help anything either. Seriously, if your stuff could really find its audience with a well done system and interface, Media Molecule wouldn't even make LBP2 because LBP1 would have performed triple times more than it did.

I don't think it was broken, it was just garbage. Don't confuse broken (does not work) with poorly implemented (works, but terribly so).

There were still ways to FIND content, and it clearly worked, they just had an absolutely terrible user interface (though charming), and the system to get it to float wasn't very good.

A beta, however, won't help this, and as you have seen, didn't help this. The user interface was already designed well into the games development, and recreating that would have set the game back, and obviously MM wasn't made out of money then.

Again, I'm not saying a beta isn't necessary, and that it won't help. I'm simply saying that a beta would not be reason for the game to NOT release this year. Either the game is ready for release for the holidays, or it isn't, but a beta won't delay that process as we've seen with LBP1. The only thing that was broken with that game was the netcode, everything else worked in one way or another, either good or terribly.

LBP still have a big community still making levels. Iam one of them but finding levels is not all way that easy and only being on cool pages a week at first was a good thing, it stop spaming of old levels. But now it made it hard to get on the cool page any other way then to get alot of plays as fast as you can and hope.

Right now they are two community's on LBP, one care about levels they make and take weeks and dont rush levels and the H4H's that copy and do anything just for play and hearts and dont care.

from what the mag say it sounds like the long waited and talked about LBP web site will be coming out along with this, that should make level more easy to find. but it can give the h4h more way to cheat they way into the cool pages as well

jump_button said:
from what the mag say it sounds like the long waited and talked about LBP web site will be coming out along with this, that should make level more easy to find. but it can give the h4h more way to cheat they way into the cool pages as well
Well, there's nothing anyone can do about the h4h situation. The only thing MM can do is make sure that stupid trophy isn't in LBP2. I know they made that trophy to make people more interested in making levels, but it's not really working. There's a lot of talented people out there making levels, so not having a h4h trophy in LBP2 will not make the community stop making levels. It actually will make a lot of people not care about making levels with just a scoreboard and wanting hearts, and thus have just the levels that people have put thought into out there.

netguy503

MrPliskin said:
Again, I'm not saying a beta isn't necessary, and that it won't help. I'm simply saying that a beta would not be reason for the game to NOT release this year. Either the game is ready for release for the holidays, or it isn't, but a beta won't delay that process as we've seen with LBP1. The only thing that was broken with that game was the netcode, everything else worked in one way or another, either good or terribly.

Who is arguing that a BETA and a game can not come out in the same year? Do you remember the year of LBP1's release? The BETA started in August (at least that's when I got in...it wasn't far before that) and the game came out the end of October (could have been middle of October without the music scandal). That's not very far apart. But far apart enough for them to test things out which I think is needed in a game like this as much as possible. Now, I would LOVE for this to come out in October/November again but I really think Christmas will be more likely. I'd love to be proven wrong.

It all boils down to what I said in my last post...I'd rather wait for a quality product then suffer through a rushed one. Don't you, as a gamer, feel the same?

lastinline said:
Well, there's nothing anyone can do about the h4h situation. The only thing MM can do is make sure that stupid trophy isn't in LBP2. I know they made that trophy to make people more interested in making levels, but it's not really working. There's a lot of talented people out there making levels, so not having a h4h trophy in LBP2 will not make the community stop making levels. It actually will make a lot of people not care about making levels with just a scoreboard and wanting hearts, and thus have just the levels that people have put thought into out there.

Not just that Players like lemon and gravy spam the pages just to get famous or to get they face all over for doing nothing other then spam.

lemon and gravy hated by alot of the community

I for one would love for this game to come out this year, but if MM isn't ready, I'm willing to wait since they would just put more polish on it anyways. I really think it's going to come out later this year, though. Sony needs a killer app for Move, and this game would be just the app. I don't foresee any other game using Move in a better way than LBP2 would. I mean, it looks like Move will make creating a bit more easier and fun.

jump_button said:
Not just that Players like lemon and gravy spam the pages just to get famous or to get they face all over for doing nothing other then spam.

lemon and gravy hated by alot of the community
Yeah, that seems annoying. It's an online game, though, and it allows anyone to play/create. So, you are going to have idiots like that. One thing for sure is that LBP.me needs moderators, who make sure that no one can spam levels like they are doing. That should alleviate some problems.

netguy503

lastinline said:

IMHO the way I read the article it sounds like the trophies will be make a level in each new genre we give you. I.E. Make an RPG level, make a shooter level, etc. This is just how it sounded to me. And I welcome that change. It will help to grow the community faster and will be MUCH better than. H4H's.

netguy503

lastinline said:
I for one would love for this game to come out this year, but if MM isn't ready, I'm willing to wait since they would just put more polish on it anyways. I really think it's going to come out later this year, though. Sony needs a killer app for Move, and this game would be just the app. I don't foresee any other game using Move in a better way than LBP2 would. I mean, it looks like Move will make creating a bit more easier and fun.

Move's still coming to LBP1 though I believe. No need to rush LBP2 for it.

netguy503 said:
You have a point there. They could tout the implementation of Move in LBP1, and then have LBP2 come out later. I actually forgot that they were going to patch that into LBP1. Very good. Now I have more hope that MM won't rush LBP2, and that they will release it when they are good and ready to.

netguy503 said:
IMHO the way I read the article it sounds like the trophies will be make a level in each new genre we give you. I.E. Make an RPG level, make a shooter level, etc. This is just how it sounded to me. And I welcome that change. It will help to grow the community faster and will be MUCH better than. H4H's.
Ah, I see. It sounds better, but I wonder how the game knows that you have made an RPG level. I mean, if it's like putting a tag on your level, then it could just be as bad as h4h. I could totally see someone just taking a picture of like some FF character, placing it on a block, and then tagging that thing as an RPG level.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
netguy503 said:

The SCEJ title list from TGS suggested a patch for LBP aswell, but things can change...

LBP2 potentially being an ideal Move flagship wouldn't necessitate a release this year...it's not unusual for new platforms to ship with relatively less inspiring software, with the more impressive stuff coming later. An early 2011 release wouldn't be too far out from Move's launch either.

It'll be very interesting to see if/how Move is incorporated into 'direct seat' control rigging. They suggest with Sixaxis you can tie certain types of tilt to a specific action. But with Move, the scope for motion capture is much bigger...I wonder if/how they'll accommodate that.

santi_yo

What the...

x2_149588c.jpg

lastinline said:
You have a point there. They could tout the implementation of Move in LBP1, and then have LBP2 come out later. I actually forgot that they were going to patch that into LBP1. Very good. Now I have more hope that MM won't rush LBP2, and that they will release it when they are good and ready to.

Mm been working on LBP2 along side all DLC, Mm did say sometime ago they was a hell off alot stuff cut out of the first that just didn't work at the time. and they talk about give player a way of making they own music for a long time.

anyway we just have to wait for Monday for more info

netguy503

santi_yo said:
What the...

x2_149588c.jpg

I bet the BETA is VERY sparse right now. But I would like to see the new MM levels... they are always quality stuff. I believe the BETA, if done like the last, shows you the whole first world.

But guys, if a BETA is going on NOW....October release again for the win? I sure hope so.:D

Edit: Nooooooo...but very clever. I'm going to have to try that idea.:D

Cipherr

Lagspike_exe said:
- The first LBP was never intended to be a simple platforming game

Fuck, I love platformers though.

Lagspike_exe said:
- LBP 2 has less of a focus on platforming altogether and it's more of a platform to actually create games with

Fuck.

Lagspike_exe said:
- As examples, the game 100% encourages the player to create game types and wants you to make a shooter, a racer, puzzle games, Space Invaders clones, even RPGs

Fuck.

Still day one.

Widge

Just something about the game being in 2.5D. I'm sure I saw a quote stating that one of the devs had a Command & Conquer clone up and running in LBP2. How. On. Earth?

Ranger X

They need to remove as much competitive crap as they can from the online portion of the game if they don't want to repeat the mess.

The trophies DID influence people into destructive behavior and it eventually led to a mess. This is the kind of things that needs to go:

-trophies for getting ratings or recognition (be it favorited, star rated or whatever they would come up with).

-trophies for publishing X numbers of levels

netguy503

Ranger X said:
They need to remove as much competitive crap as they can from the online portion of the game if they don't want to repeat the mess.

The trophies DID influence people into destructive behavior and it eventually led to a mess. This is the kind of things that needs to go:

They never had that but I think it would be great in the sequel as they are trying to explore so many new genres. It would also help build the community and get people really thinking about and using these mechanics. In the end, however, the final decision is really up to MM on how they want to handle trophies.

I'm just EXCITED I get to platinum a new LBP game.:D

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Ranger X said:

-trophies for getting ratings or recognition (be it favorited, star rated or whatever they would come up with).

For someone who got into the game as late as I did these trophies are more or less impossible to achieve. There's no way to achieve that level of attention. Not that it's a bad thing but if I ever want to achieve the platinum I'd have to convince people to help me out, rather than earn them.

Ranger X

netguy503 said:
They never had that but I think it would be great in the sequel as they are trying to explore so many new genres. It would also help build the community and get people really thinking about and using these mechanics. In the end, however, the final decision is really up to MM on how they want to handle trophies.

I'm just EXCITED I get to platinum a new LBP game.:D

err, I am citing example of exactly what LBP's trophies are doing. Go read your trophy list bud. ;)

thcsquad

lastinline said:
Ah, I see. It sounds better, but I wonder how the game knows that you have made an RPG level. I mean, if it's like putting a tag on your level, then it could just be as bad as h4h. I could totally see someone just taking a picture of like some FF character, placing it on a block, and then tagging that thing as an RPG level.

Who cares? The reason H4H exists is not because useless levels exist, its that for them to affect trophies, levels need to become popular. As long as the requirement for trophies doesn't include a created level reaching a certain amount of popularity/hearts, the useless levels that trophy whores make will be of no consequence to the rest of us.

Top Bottom