• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet 2 |OT| A Platform For Games

Zeouterlimits said:
Man, that collectors edition business is a bit unfair.
Ignoring the box and physical items for a moment, what's with not giving the EU edition all the extra Sackboys like the US one?

Once in a while SCEA comes through.

Awesome thread, I cannot wait to see the community levels. Game. Of. Forever.

Grayman

random dumb question like i asked in another thread. could a level change from top down view to side scrolling? probably by going through some type of load screen.

nofi

Grayman said:
random dumb question like i asked in another thread. could a level change from top down view to side scrolling? probably by going through some type of load screen.

There's a
level in the main game itself that does this, so yes - without loading

Mild (very) spoiler about the game.

Rolf NB

Can someone summarize again what/if/how much of the LBP1 content (disc, DLC, user-created) carries over into LBP2?

I never experienced a great user-made level in LBP, however MM's levels were so good I didn't care.

I'm in this game again for MM's story mode, but I do expect people to make some crazy stuff with the new tools.

Early contender for GOTY, basically. :D

Ashkeloth

Already preordered.

I have full faith in Media Molecule to make an absolutely amazing game, and also in the LittleBigPlanet community to make some truly aweseome levels.

I sort of hope that in this game we get less "H4H", "Get 39 Trophies in 5 Seconds", and "I made this other game in this game but worse" style levels though, or at least a better way of viewing good levels.

Also, great job on the OP. Tons of information and it also looks slick as hell.

Goldrusher said:
Maybe add a line in bold red explaining this is a proper game, with a long story mode with many, many levels. And not purely a bunch of creator tools. Those are optional.

Because I've read a lot of comments the past few months of people going "i'm not buying a game where I have to create my own levels", thinking that's all LBP is.

And perhaps add the story synopsis:

done hope that ok

gofreak said:
In a couple of months a second upgrade is coming which will give you a 'controllinator' for Move - i.e. let you use Move input in your own levels. They haven't yet detailed how much flexibility and freedom it'll give, but I'm hoping for something very open so that LBP2 can basically be a big open canvas for Move experimentation.

That's the best Move news I've heard in a while. Many thanks, and fingers crossed!

TTP said:
You can be more precise there.

Initially, Move will be supported solely in Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, which is a 10 levels stand alone game you'll find on the disc (to be installed to the HDD from the XMB - Prehistoric Moves icon shows up under the LBP2 disc one)

The DLC will add the tools to actually build Move-compatible levels (more complex than those of Prehistoric Moves). And that will be released around Spring.

Cheers for the clarification :D

Dyno

Foliorum Viridum said:
I never experienced a great user-made level in LBP, however MM's levels were so good I didn't care.

If you go to Search and then MM Picks then there are some levels that could have been in the game. One called Spice & Co. comes to mind.

My kids will go crazy when this comes out. They still play the original almost every day. I'm hoping for some more Wheel of Death tier levels for I am a Sackboy Ninja.

darkwing

i literally jumped in the air when I aced that Wheel of Death level, the last part was the most horrifying one, survive the wheel only to die at the moving floor thingy :lol

Ataturk

Great job on the banners, particularly this one....

what_the_game_about_by_jump_button-d36x7oi.gif

Dyno said:
If you go to Search and then MM Picks then there are some levels that could have been in the game. One called Spice & Co. comes to mind.

My kids will go crazy when this comes out. They still play the original almost every day. I'm hoping for some more Wheel of Death tier levels for I am a Sackboy Ninja.
I always go for MM picks but I've still never experienced a really great one. I even used a blog that highlighted the best, but nope.

Maybe my standards are too high.

If LBP GAF has some suggestions I'll hunt them down however :)

Stampy

Well since this is my first post in this OT, let it be filled with optimism and hope that the imagination of the community will not be diminished by petty and frivolous ideas, flawed replicas of other games and cold technical artistry. To be honest, after playing LBP1 I am growing tired of seeing random creations that are completely detached from the creator; I want to feel the author who opened himself to the world. The levels don't have to be perfect, they need to have that personal stamp which makes them believable as unique creations. They should be a product of one’s own creative effort and anguish that closely follows every painful step of the creation process. I want to see levels shaped with torment, let them be given birth during the sleepless nights and be created from a twisted desire to painfully draw from within oneself - the soul must bleed for the creations to be truly meaningful on the artistic and individualistic level. I want levels that will cry and cheer, scream and wail a story of a human who created these levels.

Ok, rambling off. I hope people make great levels. :D

Chavelo

jump_button said:
Is remaking Mario world 1-1 creative of me?
No it not it been done to death we don’t need anymore, but it may get you on Kotaku

COLD BLOOOOODED

rick-james-cold-blooded-o.gif

Great job on the OP, good sir.

Had to cancel my pre-order on the collector's edition. :-(

Chavelo said:
COLD BLOOOOODED

rick-james-cold-blooded-o.gif

Great job on the OP, good sir.

Had to cancel my pre-order on the collector's edition. :-(
why? When CE was up on Amazon I preordered. then I canceled because the game got moved to January and then I preordered it again :lol.

I will buy LBP 2 solely to support MM and then hopefully when I have the time Ill be able to play it someday.

Truly excellent OP.

Luigi87

Gotta say, fantastic OP.

Anywho, have had my CE pre-ordered since September, when I saw it finally available for order in Canada.

Hype!

BobTheFork said:
Did anyone actually think that this was DLC, being called LBP2?
i think when it was first announced. some thought it could be patched in because i think they didn't think the game had enough new content to really call it LBP2.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
donkey show said:
Discussion time. What kind of games are you guys planning on making?

I had started working on a 2D version of Boletaria 1-1 from Demon's Souls back in LBP1 and I gave up on it due to my monsters getting caught on stuff and just not having the time to do it right. I have a feeling that will change in LBP2, so that is the first thing I'm going to try and do.

Trevelyan

Banned
I think I'm going to focus on story-driven adventure games. My first game I have in my mind is a noir-style mystery. Hopefully I can pour everything I have on my mind for it successfully to the game! :D

donkey show said:
with the introduction of Circuit boards my focus is some sort of mini-game. I really want to test it out seeing as what I saw can be done with it.

Ranger X

donkey show said:

haha! I have a couple of ideas already. Nothing like I seen on the beta.
I also fancy a LBP rethinking of my very first LBP level.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Can't wait for next week. *presses up on the D-pad two times*

Got my collectors edition pre-ordered. If the plushie isn't as good as that photo of the edition, I'm going to be a mad Sackperson. *presses right on the D-pad two times*

I honestly don't expect to make levels, except for the trophies. And even then I'm going to loophole/game the system and then take my shitty levels down. Depends on how well the keyboard/mouse controls are as LBP1's level creation was frustrating with the controller.

I just hope kids/creators spellcheck their stuff. "go 2 teh righ" is :|

Stampy

Can some from beta confirm if there is some kind of sticker cut out tool, which automatically objectifies a sticker?

I am asking this because it seems like it in this video at 0:37. Great stuff if true, I didn't really know about it, and I have been following the news and new features rather passionately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lW8eSzPKqM&feature=player_embedded#!

Trevelyan said:
I think I'm going to focus on story-driven adventure games. My first game I have in my mind is a noir-style mystery. Hopefully I can pour everything I have on my mind for it successfully to the game! :D

I am very much interested in this. I remember in the beginning of LBP1 a level called The case of crying Sackgirl (or something like that). That level was really on a right track and, I believed, was just a sign of the story telling potential of LBP. Unfortunately, majority of other creators didn't bother too much with creating engrossing stories, if any story at all was envisaged.

Ranger X

TheSeks said:
Can't wait for next week. *presses up on the D-pad two times*

Got my collectors edition pre-ordered. If the plushie isn't as good as that photo of the edition, I'm going to be a mad Sackperson. *presses right on the D-pad two times*

I honestly don't expect to make levels, except for the trophies. And even then I'm going to loophole/game the system and then take my shitty levels down. Depends on how well the keyboard/mouse controls are as LBP1's level creation was frustrating with the controller.

I just hope kids/creators spellcheck their stuff. "go 2 teh righ" is :|

As far as I know, Keyb/mouse controls aren't in from launch. It's going to be patched down the line.

Can someone verify this?? Donkey? Jump?

Ranger X

Stampy said:
Can some from beta confirm if there is some kind of sticker cut out tool, which automatically objectifies a sticker?

I am asking this because it seems like it in this video at 0:37. Great stuff if true, I didn't really know about it, and I have been following the news and new features rather passionately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lW8eSzPKqM&feature=player_embedded#!

Yes there's a sticker cutter tool. But it find it to not make a good job enough. I am better with the corner editor tool myself. But yeah, for someone that just want to cut a sticker and might not have my hardcore care, the tool is good enough.

If you want to see the kind of job you can do manually, check my mushrooms in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JLhd4ucd8

Check the red/orange mushroom once in the cave. (0:54 sec. If you didn't take your Xannax and want to skip).

:)

Stampy

Ranger X said:
Yes there's a sticker cutter tool. But it find it to not make a good job enough. I am better with the corner editor tool myself. But yeah, for someone that just want to cut a sticker and might not have my hardcore care, the tool is good enough.

If you want to see the kind of job you can do manually, check my mushrooms in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JLhd4ucd8

Check the red/orange mushroom once in the cave. (0:54 sec. If you didn't take your Xannax and want to skip).

:)

Yes, I see. :/

More closely comparing the cut out result in the video and in your levels, it is apparent that the cutter tool leaves too much material uncut. It doesn't create a 100% clear shape, following the edges of the sticker. Oh well, it will come in handy I guess, at least as a starting point, after which some ironing out will ensue.

Ranger X said:
haha! I have a couple of ideas already. Nothing like I seen on the beta.
I also fancy a LBP rethinking of my very first LBP level.
Nice! Be definitely looking forward to it! I thought about retooling one of my old LBP1 levels and I might just end up shoehorning it into some of the stuff I've been making in the beta. Still have to finish up on my educational project though about stem cells before mid year, lol.

Slaylock said:
More to the point, what kind of games are YOU planning on making? :D

LOL. I plan on making more refined and grandiose versions of stuff I did in the beta like my beat-em-up, gauntlet-like top down, 2D ZOE, and a similar Gundam side-scroller. I think I'll focus more on the multiplayer aspect this time, but we'll see how it goes. If anything, I'm looking to merge a lot of the aspects of these levels I did into something nuts. I hope my body can take it. :lol

I also want to make a space harrier-esque level. Loved that game.

Stampy said:

Yup, there is.

EDIT: Beaten

As for the keyboard/mouse thing... from what I remember, it's not in at launch and is probably considered a foregone conclusion, but if anyone else has more info on that, it'd be great.

Top Bottom