• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Official Thread: Live in your world, play in ours.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Sadaiyappan said:
This is one of the few games that I could actually see myself paying for DLC. But lets hope it's all free. :D
Disney DLC will take time and licensing. I'm paying for whatever they put up, that's all there is to it.

Wurm said:
Anyone know? TTP mentioned some differences between "Review copy" and "Final Build" and was wondering if this promotional copy I am looking at is either a Review copy or Final Build before I pull the trigger?

The copies we were sent for review a little over a week ago were the final retail versions.

I don't know if I like the general floatyness of the controls though. The production values in this game are through the roof, but I hate it when I have to battle with the controls from time to time. I also don't really like the fact that you jump onto stuff in the background automatically.

I guess I'll adapt to it though. I'm really digging the game so far, controls issues or not.

dejay

Banned
yellowjacket said:
If we create a new thread with all of the good user made levels though then wouldnt people mostly post in there and not in here? Thats going to be the most talked about portion of the game. I agree though that we do need a way to organize it.

Because this thread is for hype and talking about the game in general. There should, and will be, a thread just devoted to user created levels or just to GAF created levels. The Forza 2 livery thread proved the merit of this approach.

Couple of shots of in-game Kratos I took: :D

r0bdrq.jpg

21c9iyw.jpg

No Nariko yet though.

r4z4

How about creating a Wiki to keep track of all the user generated content? It could track levels but also objects/items/stickers etc...

rhino4evr said:
Seriously, we need a better way to organize all the levels. The Beta thread just got out of control. I have a feeling this one will too.

Considering the amount of people that will be playing compared to the beta, I would have to agree. Infact, out of control, might to be tame of a term.

The Chef

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys.

For the level designs I was thinking about just making another headline for that and we can list them there? But I'm not sure how big that list would get.

Also for the reviews section. I was thinking I would use the graphic mainly for the "Big" reviewers like IGN, 1up etc and all the rest I will list below.

I'll fix that "?" for the chat icon too.

If anyone has any other suggestions or info to add to OP just PM me or post.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Warren Ellis said:
it is true that the game has only 25 levels in the story mode ? or you have to unlock the remaning stages..
54 in total according to TTP. Not sure if there's more.

Dante

Katana_Strikes said:
Couple of shots of in-game Kratos I took: :D

r0bdrq.jpg

21c9iyw.jpg

No Nariko yet though.

Oh wow, you can redeem Kratos already??? Did you get Medusa and the Mintotaur, How about any exclusive levels? Damn I think PSN is down now....

Dante

Warren Ellis said:
it is true that the game has only 25 levels in the story mode ? or you have to unlock the remaning stages..

25 main levels.....IE ones you HAVE to complete to progress through story mode. The others are mini game type stuff...Some are utterly brilliant in their simplicity and multi-player fun :)

Dante

Downhome said:
Dante, are you totally through the story mode yet?

No, I am on the last world though. But I took a break to 100% a lot of the earlier levels. The pure platforming elements on the final world are insane REALLY really fun.

decon

Dante said:
No, I am on the last world though. But I took a break to 100% a lot of the earlier levels. The pure platforming elements on the final world are insane REALLY really fun.
The big wheel on level 2 world 8 is just insane, almost made me cry :(

Dante said:

Whats going on with the Cool Levels section right now, are the beta levels there, is it blank?

What about those levels made by that school, are those available yet?

wouwie

Until a couple of weeks ago, i wasn't following LBP at all (which is strange as i enjoy platform games a lot). At some point, i watched a beta level video on a french website and i was immediately sold. The beta thread was a lot of fun to read (even when not being in the beta) because there was a lot of positivity and creativity going on.

At this point, i can hardly wait anymore.

One thing i noticed from the beta thread: it was great seeing people being enthusiastic about their creations and it was sometimes a bit sad to see the posts dissapearing so fast without being noticed. So yes, i believe that gaf could do with a topic on user created content only.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dizzan said:
Wha? PSN release. That was scrapped ages ago. Wasn't it?

Sorry, I've been in poligaf land, i'm obviously behind on the news :lol

MiamiWesker said:
Whats going on with the Cool Levels section right now, are the beta levels there, is it blank?

Unfortunetely, the servers aren't live yet so you can't connect.

Dante said:
Oh wow, you can redeem Kratos already??? Did you get Medusa and the Mintotaur, How about any exclusive levels? Damn I think PSN is down now....

Yeah you can redeem him now. Didn't get no other costumes though or anything else.

decon

MiamiWesker said:

The servers aren't up yet, so no online at all.

decon said:
The servers aren't up yet, so no online at all.

Oh ok, so there is no way to tell if the search functions are better or if there is a rating system. So all these reviews are just going by the beta then.

Dante

MiamiWesker said:

Just a line through the menu items...Un-selectable.

Downhome

decon said:
I am, and so is TTP if you wanna ask something :)

Nothing to ask really, just wondering. I hope to finish it up in the next day or two, whenever I get the time.

Guys, add me to your list in case the servers go up, heh - CBrentL

Big_T

MiamiWesker said:

The online server not up yet.
Now im trying to get 100% on the second and the third level.

Anyone else having problems with clipping through the ground and object, getting stuck in things and having moving parts kill you seemingly at random? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

Now to try out that level editor!

Guled said:
thats what I thought, but on the back of the slip it says to redeem it at http://www.us.playstation.com/LBPcostume which is not up yet. But I try that out when psn comes back up

Maybe it's different for the US then. That's the instrustions I got.

BTW guys, those that are playing it right now, I'm a tad stuck on getting a sticker...

World 2 level 1: There's a white shield type object incased underground next to a giraffe you grab onto to raise you up the the next platform. How the hell do you get it?

FoxHimself said:
Anyone else having problems with clipping through the ground and object, getting stuck in things and having moving parts kill you seemingly at random? It's pretty annoying to say the least.

That sounds about right. :lol I can't tell you how many times I died randomly in a vehicle when it hit something.

Dante

FoxHimself said:

Moving parts will kill you if you get stuck in a tight confined moving space. And yes, you might get stuck from time to time, but that's why you can blow yourself up. Haven't had any real clipping issues myself.

Ranger X

Dante said:
Moving parts will kill you if you get stuck in a tight confined moving space. And yes, you might get stuck from time to time, but that's why you can blow yourself up. Haven't had any real clipping issues myself.

But using the "try again" function uses a life does it?

A greatly designed level should never get you stuck and make you use the "try again".

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Wurm

Banned
Ordered! Can't wait to start work on my next level; Sackhouette 2. I have never tried so desperately to get a game before release. This game, however, changes all that!

Az

My wife told me that I can only buy one game this month - and there are so many aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

LBP - FIFA 09 - Far Cry 2 ?? *gets into fetal position*

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's a review round up that the OP can copy-and-paste if it helps. It's mostly courtesy of metacritic, with some additions. I haven't had time to linkify them, though..

Reviews

Current Metacritic score: 96
Current Gamerankings score: 95.4

Official Playstation Magazine UK
10/10
There simply isn't anything else like LBP on any system, anywhere. It's a beautifully elegant and powerful creative tool that puts unlimited potential in the palm of your hand.

Maxi Consolas
100%
LBP is a unique game. It disguises itself as a 2D platform game but surprises the players with a set of editing tools and level sharing absolutely amazing. With a distinctive style and an everlasting future potential, we can say that Sackboy already conquered this industry.

Gameplayer
10/10
LittleBigPlanet is like a magic trick, and in that respect it feels less like a videogame than an incredible concept executed perfectly. LittleBigPlanet is like LEGO (the blocks, not the game), it’s like Monopoly, it’s timeless... it’s lightning in a bottle – and if Sony play their cards right it could well save the PS3, and propel the console into the stratosphere.

Total Video Games
10/10
Undoubtedly one of the finest games in recent years, LittleBigPlanet deserves every single shred of a 10. You won't find a more polished or rewarding videogame this year, and for quite some time we'd imagine.

GamePro
5/5
There's really nothing I can say other than this: if you own a PS3 and you don't buy LittleBigPlanet, you are robbing yourself of one of the most unique gaming experiences ever designed.

IGN UK
It’s a celebration of inspiration and human interaction and a hugely welcome, utterly invigorating experience among usual roster of nihilistic shooters jostling for shelf space this Christmas.

Computer and Video Games
You'll look for inspiration for levels, mechanical dilemmas or puzzles in every corner of your life. And in your sleep. It will take over your conversations with fellow players. You will become obsessed. You have been warned.

Meristation
Little Big Planet is revolutionary thanks to its flexible, fun and powerful editor. Creating a quality level takes time but the feeling of achievement is overwhelming. A must for everyone who loves creativity or likes to explore what the creativity of a passionate community can produce.

IGN
Media Molecule has created a brilliant platformer, and then given you the tools to recreate the whole thing over again, or better yet, to create your own ideas from scratch. It's not perfect - the controls could be tighter, automatically shifting between planes can be problematic, the editor isn't quite as robust as you might hope - but what's there is nothing short of astounding.

Play.tm
93%
LittleBigPlanet is one of the most inviting game world's ever imagined, the concept is a masterstroke, the implementation slick.

IGN AU
Where LittleBigPlanet stands out is in the genuinely amazing integration of deep, deep content creation tools and incredible variety of objects with a community mode that truly makes content exchange and rating not just easy, but practical and even essential.

EuroGamer
9/10
We're just happy to see a flagship game for a modern system that's about running from left to right and jumping over things. New ideas are great, great old ideas are better, and LittleBigPlanet has both: it's the future and the past of videogames, rolled into one.

VideoGamer.com
9/10
LittleBigPlanet may well save the PS3 (if it indeed needs saving), it may be the most creative game of all time, it could well usher in a new era of user-generated gaming, and has a chance of bringing about a 2D platforming renaissance, but all those things are down to you. The game Media Molecule has created won't do these things alone, but if gamers create the levels we think they're capable of, we might be looking at one of the most important games this console generation has seen.

Kikizo
9/10
A quantum leap in concept and design, and one which falls inches - nay, millimetres - short of a perfect score. There's no better reason to own a PlayStation 3.

The Guardian
N/A
Charming and guaranteed to make you smile, LittleBigPlanet is the best argument yet to buy a PS3.

BBC
N/A
LBP is unquestionably one of the best titles of this year, or any year. Media Molecule should be praised for delivering on virtally every promise they have made over the last 18 months.

It is a terrific platform game, with an abundance of creativity, fun and character. It's up there with some of the best platform titles ever made, include Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario 64.

This isn't an exhaustive round-up..there are some other scores floating around from scandinavian and some other european outlets, but I can't quite put my finger on them right now..

AzRim904 said:
My wife told me that I can only buy one game this month - and there are so many aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

It's a no brainer. You know it. :D

Great thread Chef.
Bravo sir.

clap.gif

AzRim904 said:

buy lbp and build a level where you have to dribble a soccer ball through an african compound

best of all worlds

Top Bottom